Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Please remember to keep your posts in the thread respectful and polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

After watching all the attempts on the raid during the weekend, I was actually pretty put at ease over most of my concerns. If anything, they reminded me of the elite missions in GW1. Of course there were certain classes that were preferred over others, but there was still some variety allowed. Monks were the go-to for healing and protection, like Druids will certainly be over water eles and Ventari revs. Necros and Mesmers and Eles were preferred over other damage classes because of their massive variety of heavy AoE damage and strong single-target DPS, but at least in GW2 there are many forms of DPS from each class, especially after the condi damage revamp. Aggro was controlled through positioning and AI manipulation in the first game, a mechanic that was regarded very favorably over the traditional Taunt mechanic in other games even ten years ago, and now we are seeing toughness-heavy specs luring the bosses to safer locations for the rest of their team.

I've never done any of the traditional raids in other games, so I don't have any experience whatsoever as to what an ideal raid is at all. All I can say was that I liked what I saw from the many streams of people happily losing to this one boss over and over again because they KNEW why they kept failing, and kept trying until they nearly perfected the fight. The mechanics seemed easy to get a grip on just from experiencing it through other players, and I can't wait to try it out for myself when the expansion goes live.

I will say that I would like to see certain specs (healing, toughness, damage) buffed or changed for other classes so that the Druid isn't the only go-to healing spec that pugs will go towards. At least other classes can fill the other roles (Mesmer, Necro, Thief, Rev, or Sigils of Nul for the boon-strips; Any class for condi/power DPS [yeah, even rangers, harhar]; Guards, Revs, Engis, Warriors for tanking/leading the bosses). And yes, the best specs will be sought after by the poopsockiest of the pugs, like the W/G/T/E/E party comp for high-end fractals, but that same thing even happened in the elite dungeons in GW1; there's almost no way to escape that entirely.

Kinda wish the RBG guardians had less generic names, too...

This is entirely too reasonable, are you sure you're in the right thread?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Harrow posted:

I think I'd rather see healing/support not be a dedicated role necessarily, but rather something that multiple party members contribute to while doing other things (bringing into play healing skills like the Chronomancer's Well of Eternity or Tempest's "Wash the Pain Away!", for example). Tanking/control, too.

You're in luck, as every player brings their own healing skill in the new hit action combat MMO Guild Wars 2. Jump in today!

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

They also specifically wanted to get rid of clonedeath mesmer because you just sort of poo poo out clones and forgot about them instead of trying to keep them alive or shatter them tactically.

Also nobody misses turret builds.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

From what we know, the specializations are going to be very hero point intensive. So if you stock up now, you don't need to farm them at launch to get your sweet engineer hammer or w/e. I 'm guessing he means that.

Here's the datamined table from a month back. If nothing changes you'll need 170 hero points total to unlock the last of your elite spec's grandmaster traits, but 50 will get you in the door with the first minor trait.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

If you miss out, don't worry, raid gear will eventually make you strong enough to solo the mission when claiming for your bank guilds.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Baron Snow posted:

Ele is mostly Dagger Dagger with a stat set introduced a bit over a year ago called Celestial, or Full Zerker with a staff for long range blasting.

Celestial is only really a thing in PvP situations so you'd only need it for, like, WvW roaming.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

It's weird because the blog post and associated reddit responses are all "getting valuable drops is better than direct gold rewards so we're doing that" and a bunch of systems to go with it, but then re: dungeons it's just "yeah gently caress them, go do something else."

I mean, technically you can buy dungeon armor and salvage insigniae out of them, but it's pretty inconsistent (none available from CoF gear even) and seems more like a 'nothing better to do with these tokens' situation.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

"I'd like dungeons to be a little more difficult, you shouldn't be able to just throw 5 signets on your bar like an idiot and get through."

Jon Peters curses under his breath. "You're a dead man, Hrouda."

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Put on some Berserker gear.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

How much Ascended gear do I need to go trick-or-treating?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Ascended gear is free if you gather the materials to craft it yourself.

edit: sorry, I was wrong. There's some crap you have to buy from the tradeskill vendors too, thermocatalytic reagents. might end up costing a gold or two.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Probad posted:

Agony resistance adds literally nothing to the game except more time/gold grind and takes a wiki article or long forum post to explain. It's pretty dumb even when you understand it.

They should add more content that requires Agony resist to justify its cost. Maybe a whole open world zone with mobs that apply Agony.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I don't think anyone was ever unfair to Diego.

Whoa, rude as hell

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Sinister and Celestial, and I guess Nomad gear is account bound by default. Not sure if you can get a full set without some crafting.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Good to see that Nexon will continue to not influence GW2 design choices, and we are left only in the hands of a far more trustworthy company, NCSoft.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Please do not troll your fellow players with references to 'physically contacting other human beings.'

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Kessel posted:

saving this for posterity

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

The Legend (Bifrost precursor) is still pretty expensive, if you care for gold you might want to hold off until HoT launch to see how much of a cost/hassle it is to craft one.

They're probaby being purposefully vague about anything economics related so there isn't too much speculation profits going on.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

[strolls by some people playing Chess in the park] Hey, nice MOBA you got going on there. "Bot or feed", haha. Who's winning?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

treizebee posted:

Wait a second.
How does this new system work for those with high WvW ranks that can only gain 1-2 ranks a week now.
e : Nevermind, misread WvW lvl for named ranks.

They didn't mention any retroactive counting of WvW ranks / unspent rank points, and the only item that WvW players could stockpile are being devalued.

e2 : So PvE players will get their already-completed skill/hero challenge points, but WvW players with a thousand levels under their belt will be treated as if they have none.
Yay...

A thousand of your pathetic zerg-farm "levels" don't come anywhere near the power gained from eating a weird piece of meat some catlady in a cave gives you.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Enemu posted:

So I'm about to hit 80 on my first dude (Guardian, ended up doing him over a necro).

Most of the info I can find online is somewhat out of date, is berserker direct damage build the best one? Is sinister burn any good? While leveling I was having fun using whirling wrath/judge's intervention and just pulling everything under the sun with gs5, whacking the reset on justice, and burning the living poo poo out of zombies. Is that poopoo in real person content and I should just get soldiers/zerk? Is this poo poo all gonna change in 4 days or is DH gonna be a fun wvw thing and not a real meta thing?

Berserker Guardian has more room for group utility in its build, but Sinister is better damage in long fights or sustained AoE situations. Usually it's safest just to run Berserker stat builds for the occasions you run into enemies that are immune to Burning, or cleanse conditions. We are supposed to be getting more enemies with actually inflated toughness values to make condition damage better but so far there's like, one type, in one zone.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_GS_Mace/Focus/Torch
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Sinister_Condition

Sinister Guardian doesn't play a whole lot different from Berserker Guardian, compared to Ranger and Engineer whose condition builds use different weapons than their power builds.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Degs posted:

I also got the dire ascended pistol from a dungeon pvp track. Is there a way to make it better?

You can change stats on ascended weapons/armor in the Mystic Forge.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anthology_of_Heroes

Would need a weapon crafting tradeskill (weaponsmith, artificer, huntsman) at 400 to make a Sinister inscription though, they're account bound.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

I believe they are no longer account bound. I switched a weapon recently and I don't have anything to 400 but cooking :)

Sinister, Nomad's, Celestial, and Zealot's insignia and inscriptions are specifically account bound the moment they're crafted. Other stat combos aren't.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orichalcum_Imbued_Inscription
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Inscription
etc.

Also note the TP price difference between crafted and salvaged inscriptions, e.g. a Berserker inscription alone is nearly 8 gold at minimum in materials, but you can pick up, say, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebonblade for 5g.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

orcane posted:

I will keep that in mind for the one weapon box I still have but can't decide which weapon to pick :woop:

I should probably be clearer here and mention that you can't salvage the more expensive crafted insignia/inscriptions (like Berserker) out of things, which is why they cost more :v: Was more to make a point about the cost of crafting your own Berserker gear at 80.

AzureSkye posted:

I wonder how deep in the grandmasters are? This might mean daredevils won't get their new dodge stuff for a while, which is pretty lol considering everyone else will get their gimmick immediately.

It's unfortunate that Thieves only actually have 2 trait lines to slot until Daredevil is added in HoT, but that's the price to pay for being the cool ninja dude.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Swapping in Invigorating Precision over No Quarter is worth the damage loss on fights where you'd otherwise be getting downed repeatedly. Some bosses just have so much health that DPS racing them gets a little shaky if everyone isn't totally on point.

Sometimes I start to delay backstabbing to sit in stealth for a couple seconds if I notice the boss is focusing me, in a desperate bid for them to gently caress off and whack the warrior instead. Not sure it's ever worked.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Metabattle build pages tend to also list a lot of good build tweaks and cheaper rune/food buff alternatives. (The dungeon thief build page mentions swapping in Invigorating Precision for more survivability.) You'd probably have to know encounters already to know when exactly to swap things out though.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

You could also stop trying to be a victim and just grab all the hero points like the rest of us.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Fortunately it will be possible to grab all the low hanging fruit Hero Challenges in HoT maps, and then just farm WvW rankup unlock scrolls to unlock the rest with no mastery required.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

The worst part of the already irredeemable Daredevil spec is that I can't play as it immediately.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

OP is dead, post your cutest Asura.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 21, 2015

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Keep in mind that Masteries are account-wide progress, it ought to be a pretty simple task to zip across the jungle grabbing points once you've got gliding and all progressed.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

All of the elite specs are actually worth getting because if there's any time for playing builds aimed at novelty value, it's doing open world event zergs to farm experience for mastery tracks.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I'm Not A Bird, And Why That's A Good Thing

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did they ever add an after the fact digital deluxe upgrade pack for people that bought the base game?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Oh gently caress you, too.

Dungeon rewards have been rebalanced to more accurately reflect the time needed to complete them. Experience and gold awarded for completing a dungeon have been reduced.

Snowblind:

The Ice Elemental boss encounter will now reset if the party is defeated by it.

:shittypop:

I guess you don't have to do certain fractals some days anymore at least????

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

AzureSkye posted:

Is guild chat broken for anyone else?

When the clock ticked over I had to re-enable guild chats in my chat tabs.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Breakbars on bosses in dungeons is vaguely interesting, some things are no longer really possible like immobilizing the Arah P1 Shoggoth or tugging the Ooze to kill it, on the other hand you can get a deep freeze length stun basically whenever as long as your group can coordinate spamming control effects. (It might be possible to even stun the ooze before he phases and burst him dead?) Also any champions you might have wanted to chill down their cooldowns, that's off the table.

Managed to get a stun on Mai Trin at one point which was a miracle because the scale 50 fractal mistlock is 'enemies get random boons when you crit' so she pretty much constantly had Protection, Regeneration, and like 20 stability stacks.

Maybe in a year or two the economy will have somehow deflated to the point that 30 silver per dungeon path feels like it's worth the time.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Alteisen posted:

BIG GODDAMN STORY SPOILERS BELOW :siren:

REALLY? YOU KILL THE ONE DE MEMBER THAT ACTUALLY DOES STUFF AND TRIES TO GET poo poo DONE? Poor Eir.

I swear to god if Zoija isn't gutted by the end of this I'm gonna be pissed.

Oh and gliding should have been unlocked from the start, this isn't loving Metroid, juet let me explore dammit. :colbert:

Zojja is married to the player character in the last story mission. Unskippable cutscene, required completion to finish all the HoT masteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

It's the same issue as dungeons where you can't really build enough personal sustain power to just stand in all the poo poo that's tuned up assuming you can avoid most attacks, so going full damage + active defenses is your best option (kill things before you run out of defensive resources.)

Getting jumped by like 2-3 of those loving frogs that leap 1500 units away while hitting for 5k or so, or a champion mob that's now immune to all snares, is awful no matter how you're built.

• Locked thread