Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i, for one, am glad that even with having work the next 4 days that i'll still get in more playtime than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

xgalaxy posted:

Is there a WP video or something that recaps what happened in season two for those of us who didn't do it?

spoilers: sylvari were apparently originally intended as minions of mordremoth

that's all anyone needs to know, and it'll be blatantly obvious in the expansion anyways

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Generic Octopus posted:

This was a joke people threw around, like "wouldn't it be funny if..." sort of thing. And then somehow people started thinking it was real.

actually, i'm surprised this was glossed over as much as it was, but this actually is apparently the case. i personally don't mind not being able to use tomes on my revenant for the month-long waiting period

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Will-i-be-able-to-use-tomes-on-the-revenant-immediately

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a new crafting profession??????????

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yooooooooooooooooo if you check the world map you can see where guildmates are hanging out now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually not that buggy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

trip report: i have legendary armor now and all the raid-related achievements

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

colin hit a big red button and everything magically worked

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know how it could screw over alts since the mastery stuff is account-bound

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a-net continuing the proud tradition of ugly-rear end female armor that focuses entirely on the chest armor or lack thereof

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Smith Comma John posted:

What, you don't want your bare boobs out beneath some metal neck spikes?

despite my overwhelming urge for self-flagellation i will Avoid That, thank you

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there definitely could be some tuning done in the near future, which i feel like might happen if it's brought up enough. i have full exotic soldier armor on my guardian with ascended soldier accessories and i still feel squishy as gently caress somehow. not that i expect to breeze through everything or whatever, but one wrong move and i get royally hosed up depending on what i'm facing.

overall i really like the expansion, though! like, did people expect there to not be some sort of grind? it's an mmo. the grind sure beats having loving nothing to do once you hit 80.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

agreed, unironically

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the date posted:

yeah I know you agree, you loving mouthbreather, that's why I was mocking you

i'm not sure what editing 'mongoloid' to 'mouthbreather' accomplished in the long run but i apologize if you are still angry about that one time people said mean things about the armor in the game that is guild wars 2.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I don't think I would mind the actual grind as-is if the enemies were easier to fight. Right now every quest and event in the jungle feels like such a slog to play through. Maybe I will just do Halloween stuff until the dust settles

i'm not sure if i'll hit a cut-off point soon for the moment due to being dangerously close to wiping near all the time, but yeah. at times it almost feels unfair, especially with the AI of certain enemies making them basically deadly if you ignore them for a few seconds at all. and of course, they have massive range and can stand waaaay back when you're busy with other junk.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think in a way that having those beta weekends kinda hurt some people's first impressions a bit. it was really fun to just immediately have the entire elite spec after starting a test character, but now that we're in the thick of it it's kinda disappointing that the elite specs are doled out slowly. i really feel like the points needed should be like...300 or something? at the very least. i can assume they don't want to lower it too much, but it really feels like they should just a bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

orcane posted:

I like that you're optimistic, but this is Arena.net, masters of "put in overtuned grindy bullshit, never change it unless it's by accident". The only thing they ever tuned in a timely manner was making things more annoying to fight after patches made stuff "too easy", eg. world bosses after the condi changes.

oh, believe me, i'm not exactly expecting a miracle, but at the least they've shown that they're willing to listen to feedback if the beta weekends are any clue. and there's also this:

Visidan posted:

I'd expect a change sooner rather than later, this is more heat than they got for the commander tag bullshit.

if they wanna keep the playerbase happy they're probably gonna need to reduce the values on a few things. i'm enjoying the expansion more or less so far, but it definitely needs to be less...aggravating.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think that's pretty much the only mastery that was required other than really easy to get ones, so it's good that that was changed

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

getting only the hero points from maps and not fully completing the maps themselves only takes a fraction of the time that actual world completion does, so it's not too much of a stretch to get the ~200 points from that easily enough. the amount needed still needs to be reduced, though. given that anet probably doesn't want to completely negate the need for points, i'd take a wild guess and say that 300 might be what they go for. possibly.

also, the octovine event is genuinely awful due to it involving a million variables and any one of them going wrong ruining it for everyone

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

I crafting or tome leveled all but two of my characters, and didn't do the story on most of them, which means it's a gigantic loving pain in my rear end, and I'm not interested in putting in the kind of commitment I did a decade ago with MMOs. It's still way too much time.

it definitely is. somehow it's a combination of a couple of awful things making it tedious instead of just having...maybe one awful part. map completion only gives half the points needed. the jungle hero points either involve groups (which is sketchy at best) or are gated behind masteries. the total needed is 400, which means that even with full map completion you still have to do 20 skill things in HoT. if even one of those parts wasn't poo poo then maybe it wouldn't be as bad, but right now it is and if anet doesn't change something then they're genuinely dumb.

CLAM DOWN posted:

So it's every large event in this entire game

no, other events typically don't involve 4 boss fights happening at the same time, each with their own tedious gimmick that can be actively sabotaged by a single person with little to no effort at times. also, once a single boss thing is killed then you have 2 minutes to kill the rest before that boss is brought back with some hp and the rest get even more hp back, making it so that they have to be killed within a small window of time. all while dealing with waves of mordrem poo poo, which is questionable at best. it's a lot of cool ideas and it's neat that they're experimenting, but right now it's a genuine parade of awfulness.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShadowMar posted:

the xpac is actually a really cool and fantastic base marred by a bunch of poor design choices thrown on top for The Grind or naive ideas about how the player base acts

removing the itzel 4 mastery gate for the story is a good sign, so hopefully they'll take everyone's other complaints seriously

yeah, pretty much. i like that they're actually trying to mix things up with a lot of this stuff, but even with people at large getting a hang of what's going on there's still some events/whatever that really need to be retuned so that they're not frustrating as gently caress. if there's one thing i can say, it's that the expansion is surprisingly not that buggy.

i almost wish it was buggy, because some of those bugs might make some of this stuff easier.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the elite specs being so heavily gated also sucks because out of all the poo poo to grind for it's basically the least enjoyable to do as much, because all you're doing is unlocking basic functionalities for your class. it's the Leveling Rework all over again except instead of poo poo like 'being able to use an elite skill' it's 3x the effort for just being able to use a single trait line that only offers an alternate way to play and not 'actual' progression. and yeah, if the enemies from the hero challenges were even just elites instead of champions then there probably wouldn't be as much of a rush to get them done while other players are still looking to do them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's genuinely no way they won't change something or other

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShadowMar posted:

imagine if this was a korean MMO

please no

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was going to ask if anyone has even gotten herald fully unlocked yet on revenant buuuuuuuuuuut earlier today i saw someone at level...42? mastery already, so never underestimate people's ability to poopsock, i guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nektu posted:

I'm kinda wondering if the people that die all the time are still in full zerker. Because moving away from that ... helps?

being in full soldiers has me still feeling squishy as hell, and i'm playing a guardian.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SlothBear posted:

Which mastery unlocks the romance option for the big frog?

Nuhoch Courtship, which is near the end of that mastery line, due to requiring various things such as understanding their language and pick-up lines

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're finally adding the outfit for the only actually interesting human god

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm...actually kinda disappointed that the precursor collection stuff costs so much overall. i thought it would be a fun diversion that takes a bit of time but rewards me with a cool skin, not something that comes out to be...all of 50 gold less than buying it directly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess that another armor set is getting added when the raid is implemented, because i assume they're not going to make legendary stuff look the same as other sets.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Schpyder posted:

There's a new set of Guild armor as well, probably available from upgraded guild halls. Take a look in the wardrobe. There's also maybe a "machined" set of weapons that I only know about because they're listed in the collections for the upgraded elite spec weapons. Might just be collection trash and not actually usable, tho.

Chronomancer, Druid, and Tempest have shoulders; Scrapper, Reaper, and Daredevil have helms; Dragonhunter and Berserker have ???

So no.

dragonhunter has gauntlets

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the overall difficulty is pretty alright barring a few specific enemies which will hopefully be looked at again at some point. some of the map events are still a shitshow, but maybe more population will help with that? also, the hero point change is more than i was expecting, so that's great. will make starting at nothing on alts that much easier.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder how long people will keep holding up the extra character slot as entitled people whining when i think even a-net people at some point might have admitted that it was dumb not to give one

e: i made the mistake of clicking on that gw2 forum thread

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShadowMar posted:

mmo players are the only people who hate quality of life changes

so much so that they made wildstar

and, well,

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the precursor stuff would be sorta fine if there wasn't a tier dedicated entirely to just making, like, 500 of the same loving thing just to hand to an npc

who greenlit that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Xae posted:

Class collection rewards are the Real Legendary Weapon Quests.

I'm betting precursor crafting hit price equilibrium with AHing one in a month.

i mean, sure, but i actually looked forward to the weird collection stuff they were talking about. the tiers of the precursor stuff that aren't just 'make a shitload of one thing' are actually neat. third tier of making colossus involves getting hit with weird poo poo while under the effect of a certain status effect, which sounded fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anet decided to kill off gw2

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anet knew that sfd was going to do wvw and decided to stop us

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

got into wvw somehow

everything was massively hosed, with multiple doors and walls and poo poo spawning on top of each other

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

going on a guided tour of the new borderlands since the servers were borked reminded me of how good the new maps actually are

they're really good. hang out with sfd and do wvw, it's a great time. speaking on mumble not required, but listening in might let you hear music along with nerds talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the first mastery stuff in each line tends to be really important for poo poo like getting around. it's genuinely easy to level those, and if someone somehow don't have time to get even those then i'm curious as to how they managed to do anything at all in the base game.

notable exceptions being nuhoch wallows and updraft usage which are second in their respective lines, but even those don't take much effort and they aren't as important as bounce shrooms or exalted reading.

• Locked thread