Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Visidan posted:

Speaking of guilds, make sure any of you with bank guilds get your bank slot upgrades done before HoT.

What? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
If I've done world completion, does that mean I've unlocked all the Tyria mastery points?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

orcane posted:

And awesome achievements at that. Like "spend 1k gold to unlock cultural armor" or "get all fractal skins" awesome.

Haha, gently caress that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Edit: screw my Rev and a hypothetical Guardian, I'm power-leveling my necro :stare:x100

Ayup. Join usssss

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
64bit client worked great for me, and hasn't crashed yet. I'd been having a lot of trouble with the old client crashing. Very small sample size obviously.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
And still 50 odd in Euro/upside down land hours.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Harrow posted:

Colin did suggest that they want to "look at" and "iterate on" fractal rewards and that they're not happy with how they are right now, so they might've just miscalculated.

If they want to incentivize gem -> gold purchases then that needs to have a much better exchange rate than it does. Right now, even if I were tempted, it would feel like a even more of a rip-off than it normally would. It's like $40 for ~250 gold? Nah, man.

I make 7g a day purely by logging into my flax farming alts. There would have to be a dramatic change in prices for me to even consider gem->gold stuff.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I get 150-200ms ping from m the uk and it's never bothered me

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Was expecting Ausra butt

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here's an example of one thing that really frustrates me: I was doing Auric Basin hero points, and I found the one behind the falls that it seemed I couldn't get to without leyline gliding. That sucked to see that, I wouldn't get leyline gliding for a long time, and who knows how much map content would be blocked for me behind that bridge. After a tip from someone, I found out that you could use (until Anet changes that geometry at least) experimental rifle to cheese that part, and get over the gap, which I did. So I got the hero point, then a bit further into that cave, there were a billion leylines in this huge cavern that looked kinda like a jumping puzzle which I absolutely love and want to do. But there was no way to cheese that, and I will not be able to do that puzzle, that content type which I really really like, for an extremely long time. At my current rate it may be 6+ months.

This is why it's frustrating. Content that a player may very well be really wanting to do, right in front of their face, isn't available not because of any skill gate (like if I had to learn how to do a certain jump a number of times, that's fine), but because of this arbitrary experience/mastery/time gate. It's incredibly frustrating as someone who is clearly playing very slowly, to see content right there in front of me and I literally cannot do it no matter what, for a long period of time that I have to spend grinding out these masteries.\

Hope that makes sense.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this, and am doubly frustrated because I liked the fact that pre HoT GW2 was the exact opposite of that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Karl L posted:

The thought of a raid mastery makes me die a little on the inside. I'm already sick of masteries.

In fairness my current expectation is that I'll never be able to do the raid, so I can't really be disappointed

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Your minion master build got me into playing necro, and also yielded hilarious tells from bitter players, so thanks on both counts.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

when we theoretically have more elite specs for each class

Yup. There will totally be more elite specs. Keep telling yourself that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Kessel posted:

engineers get a dysfunction gyro that, instead of reviving people, flies over to insult them. "you went down again. you shitter"

which gyro you deploy when you press F is random

Would pay £49.99 for this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I really like the principle of those changes. Anything that makes wvw in some way consequential is alright in my book.

But yes, they would utterly gently caress over some people. Particularly casual players. Again.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mercury_Storm posted:

I wonder if, when WoW finally mostly peters out, anything like that will even be possible with mmos again.

Doubt it. Companies understand MMOs now, and it seems like the best way to make money is to do B/F2P with a cash shop and try and attract whales.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Totbot posted:

Back during Molten Core in WoW, the boss Baron Geddon would put a debuff on a random player called Living Bomb that would explode and deal AoE damage to the raid. So whoever got it would need to move away from the raid or it would wipe the raid. Naturally, addons came out that would automatically whisper the people who got the debuff. The one that was used by my guild would whisper "You are the bomb". A real life friend of mine who was also in the guild got the debuff, got that whisper, and responded with "Thanks!" thinking he was being complimented. He then blew up and wiped the raid.

This story really has nothing to do with GW2 or the conversation at hand, but I just really like telling it.

A good story

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Happy Christmas Goons of both stripes!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Orv posted:

Than- oh. Oh. Well I hope thieves stay bad forever. :colbert:

It's a Christmas miracle!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, my principle issue with HoT is that all of the new stuff requires me to play for way longer than the half hour chunks that I get, or flat out doesn't let me do stuff if I log in at the wrong time.

If you can burn hours into it, it seems to be fine, if a bit grindier than vanilla gw2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The reason it's disappointing is that when it started there was a myriad of fun content that you could do in 15-30 minute sessions. HoT and to a lesser extent the Silverwastes and dungeon changes moved away from that.

I ended up giving up on the game because the remaining short form content was mostly left over from the original game and has got boring.

• Locked thread