Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I haven't been able to play since July, any word on when ANet is gonna fix the ping issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Off the top of my head the only things I can think of that are completely gone are clone death mesmers and ricochet thieves, everything else is better than before. I'm not in the least upset that they cut out a lot of the useless traits and rolled together OK traits to make pretty good ones or otherwise made many traits baseline.

They also got rid of Coated Bullets, which made the Engineer pistol skills penetrate and made the autoattack situationally awesome. It is a trait I miss. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

So I've been more or less unable to play the game since some point in June, due to absolutely insane ping spikes. I figured it was an ISP issue or a patch issue, and just kind of forgot about GW2 for a while. It is still an issue, though, as you can see. I checked the forums, and apparently there have been a lot of latency issues, but the kind of people who complain on official forums are completely void of information, and there's been basically no response from ANet, either.

I ran several traceroutes, but all they seem to indicate is that my base latency almost entirely comes from a lovely Telia server in Sweden:

The single 400 ms spike was literally the worst lag spike in 30+ traceroutes.

Do any of you computer smart goons know what could be going on? It seems like nobody in the thread has been having this issue.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Axe and staff are pretty dece, but that pistol is seriously not-Quip tier.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

rear end, ur a

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sprite141 posted:

Ask anet help support. If they say there isnt, express that you would be more than haopy to purchase it if it existed, but you are not interested in the middle option.

May not lead to anything but if they realize there is an interest in such a product... I mean it IS a digital sale, not much physical media to worry about sales there.

I hope they put it on the gemstore.

"Update to the ultimate version for only 4,000 gems, and receive a character slot and some dumb skins and a whopping 4,000 gems!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The next expansion will take place in the Far Shiverpeaks, and center around Jormag and the Norn. You can name it Conquest of Lost Domains, or CoLD for short.

ANet, I'll take payment by check or in gems.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm cool with skill and coordination and all, but I hope all content in the game can be done while also freezing for several seconds at random inopportune moments. I feel like I won't be getting much gliding done. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
When people say "Friday midnight," they mean like 4-10 hours from now, and not 24+ hours from now, yes?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Download fluctuating between 0kB/s and a blazing 20 kB/s. Classic GW2 patcher. :rolleye:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What can I do with 50 stacks of fat leather?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A new build coming in already. I wonder what it fixes, since so far no goons have encountered any issues whatsoever according to gchat. Probably just someone made bank on the TP.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm also a fan of the Strength Norn story, and the Infinity Ball Asura story. Infinity Ball I'd say has the best climax episode, but all the buildup episodes are totes dull.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ItBurns posted:

I agree. This is definitely the case if WvW is really that slow. I got like 70 points for my scrapper solo in like 2 hours including a few where I had to solo the champs because nobody showed up to help. The Dulfy guides make it really clear what to do (if you want to spoil it) so it's much faster to get points now if you were tripped up by the maps or mechanics previously.

I'm going to try the trick with alacrity on the bacon one now that I have my chrono almost done if I can find a few brave dentists willing to be my guinea pigs.

I've been made to eat the alacrity bacon. It darn near killed me, but I guess the experience made me stronger?

I guess you could say... It burns.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is Ad Infinitum really the legendary backpiece? It's so boring looking.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can swap professions; it just costs a handful of silver every time you do. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than stuff like salvag-o-matics and infinite tools in the long run, so it's not like it's hard to justify.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LiftAuff posted:

Store some on your alts that you don't play. I don't know if it is still possible but you could have made your own guild and constructed guild storage.

You can't store account bound stuff in a guild bank, and the vast majority of stuff you'd bank is account bound.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I especially enjoy how crashing means you get jack poo poo, whereas failing the event still gives you a decent reward. You can't even get back into the map to do any of the post-event stuff!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ApeHawk posted:

If you want good experience for the HoT masteries, try finding an organized Dragon's Stand map. Tons of veteran+ mordrem mobs spawn in each lane and there's good guides out there already to get the gist of what to do.

That and the final boss fight in the map is pretty cool.

If you want a real lovely experience, do this, but crash during the very last boss phase, and receive no reward whatsoever, because the game makes no effort to keep track of your pre-crash progress. :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Germany, from the look of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you have some version of GW2, deluxe or preorder or something, every character you create immediately gets a 2-week bank access pass. With that and a bank full of level up items and gear, you can do exactly that in the starting instance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I honestly can't say I've encountered any master bait and switches like you guys are talking about. Like, there's stuff I can't do, but it's clearly marked when I pass it on the way to stuff I can do, not at the end of a narrow passageway or past some pain in the rear end mobs.

Like, there were a couple of hero points in Verdant Brink that were hard to get to and required a new mastery to actually get, but their mastery requirements have already been patched out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is there anything in Heart of Thorns that's gated behind a Mastery higher than Updrafts/Nuhoch Wallows? There's a couple vistas in Dragon's Stand that are in poison clouds, and that one Hero Point that requires gliding 3, but that's all I've encountered.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SlothBear posted:

Holy hell. Support sent me another recipe thing to learn within an hour or so. The item descriptions may be misleading but the support is incredible.

They also gave me the Mad Memories skin that didn't get added to my wardrobe years ago.

For all the children on the official forums throwing tantrums when support doesn't get back to them within an hour, their support team is really good and helpful. I finally sent a ticket about my lag issues a week before HoT release and we had a long back-and-forth session where they'd usually get back to me within a few hours as we tried to pin down the problem. It turned out that in the end my computer had a hard time running the game in fullscreen mode, so chasing after connection issues was a dead end, but they were really nice and helpful about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Facet of Salad

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kerrrrrrr posted:

This is why I loving hate Caithe so goddamn much. STOP TRYING TO REDEEM FAOLAIN. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Uhh, it does happen, like, in the game. :colbert:

"So, Braham, how fares your dear mother? I hope she didn't think I was a thorn in her side!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
gently caress the haters, Tangled Depths is the best zone. :colbert:

I'll grant that the scaling on events could use a lot of tuning, and that the map is not very helpful in navigating it, but it's so gorgeous and full of badass setpieces.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

xZAOx posted:

I want to know what the gear reqs will be for raiding. The way design has been going lately, I could see it being "be decked out in ascended gear for a chance at ascended gear!"

Naw, that's not ANet's style. I can more easily imagine the drops being recipes for ascended equipment, which require oiled versions of every ingredient, except for paddings, hilts and such, which have to be made into the new glistening ingredients.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm currently working on a pumpkin juzzle in the guild hall.

Ideally it would lead to that little island above the spawn. I'm convinced it's possible to get there.

This sheer wall is as far as I've gotten. There's a very handy ledge up there, but you need to glide off a pumpkin to get to it and I just can't pull it off with the glider randomness from Europing. Also we outta pumpkins. :smith:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Visidan posted:

SFD has 800+ pumpkins, we have jumping puzzles all over our hall its cool. I guess you could buy 100 buckets to make a ladder but you'll need 200 crystalline ore and 50g

Goon Squad only has 300, of which I think I purchased half. I was a fool for thinking that common decorations would be similarly priced. :argh:

E: Update: made it to the ledge, ledge less helpful than expected.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 11, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Raids will have "new, improved" agony mechanics.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tricks showed up and helped with the pumpkin juzzle.

With his help, we made it... quite a bit higher. Despite being a cave, the gooncave has a very clear roof.

Spawn is down there somewhere.

I didn't take any screenshots of the rooms we found on the way up since I was climbing with graphics off, so instead enjoy these pictures of the main guild area from above. We were way higher up than this, but there's a thick blue fog in the guild hall that seems to be independent of graphic settings.

If you wanna take a stab at it, it's reachable from the rubble plateau, which is reached by running across this root. Turn left on the plateau and glide around the corner to reach it; it may require Gliding 3. If you jump off the plateau on the opposide end, you can get to the actual guild hall jumping puzzle, which I have yet to conquer.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 12, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The only strictly required one is updrafts, aside from that single arbitrary hero challenge requiring poison mastery in Tangled Depths. Everything else you can get around with teleports to friends or a helpful mesmer.

If you don't have any friends, or mesmers, you'll also end up needing exalted mastery, nuhoch wallows, and leyline gliding.

There's also a Vista in Dragon's Stand that can't be gotten without poison mastery. So... you need poison mastery and updrafts. Nuhoch Wallows and Ley Line Gliding are required to get to a total of two areas to my awareness, so you need a friendly mesmer or TtF buddy for those.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CLAM DOWN posted:

While you/I can absolutely get a mesmer port or TP to friend for those things, that's relying on someone else for content that for over 3 years we haven't had to. That's why it's a frustrating change in direction.

What about all the stuff that's gated behind levels? Behind minimum party size? That stuff has been in the game since launch. You had to grind up 70 levels before you could even think about setting foot in Orr, and even if you had people help you get there, it's still a huge pain in the rear end to get around at level 8.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not talking about that stuff. I know a bunch of stuff that's been gated behind a group/party size/etc since launch, I'm not talking about any of that. Gating Orr behind levels is not what I'm talking about either, you're missing my point. I'm talking about the casual solo activities like map completion and jumping puzzles that never were gated, and now are.

How is it, fundamentally, different? You still need to be a certain level to map complete anything in the game that's not a city. Would you have been happier if they'd just raised the level cap and scaled it such that Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand would just straight up murder you if you hadn't earned enough experience in previous zones?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't like to resort to name-calling or anything, but if you don't want to grind, you don't have to grind.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Catsworth posted:

I don't have to get to 80 either, or do dungeons, or play at all for that matter, or...

Well, yes. Ultimately, Guild Wars 2 is a video game. I know that's an oversimplification, especially when it comes to stuff with a permanent multiplayer aspect, but it's still supposed to be a recreational activity.

Entenzahn posted:

Why do I have to unlock the Tyria Mastery System through LS3?

Yeah, that's stupid and it seems like it would be really simple to fix.

Entenzahn posted:

Why are HP challenges worth 10 times in the jungle, instead of just reducing the elite spec cost to a tenth?

Well, it's a deliberate design decision on ANet's part that you need to do HoT stuff to unlock specializations. Given that they wanted to do that, I don't think they could set it up without stepping on someone's toes. Hell, they even caught a lot of flak from the crazier MMO population for reducing elite specs from 400 points to 250.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blasphemeral posted:

WTF is a

???

mom is the last boss of the Dragon's Stand meta event. You fight it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I play the game doing whatever I want and the xp doesn't just rain down on me :shrug: And my favourite thing to do, dungeons, has been nerfed to the ground for that.

It hasn't actually. They nerfed dungeon gold rewards, but they still give buckets of experience.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dreggon posted:

first place won $25

if that's what they pay artists something something art sucks

I wonder what they paid the guy who did the LA/Dry Top loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alteisen posted:

Swell guild hall GOON, I especially liked the pumpkin arrow, I was wondering if there some sort puzzle there but I couldn't find anything more, unless I was suppose to jump on the statue with the eternity.

Run along the wall to the right of the statue and you'll get to the arch thing above the guild portal. From there, you can climb onto the roof proper, and you should see a big rock with pumpkins jammed into it. That path of pumpkins leads all the way to the top of the guild hall. I dunno if anyone has actually made it all the way since the original Odyssey, where we were putting down pumpkins wherever we needed to go.

EDIT: I was going to put down a couple of pumpkins as road markers, but someone beat me to it. So just follow the pumpkins!

• Locked thread