Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
why is asurabutt.jpg not in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Did ascended gear recipes change when HoT came out? One of my friends has been talking about how ANet made them way, way harder to craft but they look about the same to me - just as miserable and time-consuming as ever.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's the eternal curse of persistent online games that make money by encouraging people to continue to play.

They need to make sure players keep playing so they keep buying things from the gem store. How does a developer keep them engaged? Option 1: tons and tons of content. Problem is, they've got finite resources--there's no way they'd be able to produce enough unique, varied, and good content that it'd keep players engaged long enough for the next content drop.

So you end up at option 2: stretch the content we can realistically create by encouraging repetition. This isn't inherently a bad thing, at least in my opinion, though I know a lot of players and pundits think it's a manipulative Skinner box even in its most benign form. Where Guild Wars 2 stumbles here isn't that it chose this option--frankly, it was the only realistic one, given the apparent difficulties ArenaNet has pushing out new content at a good rate--but that it doesn't pace rewards well. It never has, really, but to a degree that's been okay, because enough of the content has been fun enough that players (like me) come back regularly to play some more. Heart of Thorns fails that second part--so much of the content is so repetitive, and so difficult to actually succeed at, that it really draws attention to how poorly-paced the rewards are (two blues and a green, anyone?).

They've got two options again (well, I guess three, if we're including "things are actually fine financially so nothing actually needs to change from ArenaNet's perspective" as an option). They can either keep the lackluster content they have but improve the pacing of the rewards (GIVING IN TO CASUALS) or improve the content and do a better job of rewarding players for doing things that are actually fun. That second one would take effort and resources, though, quite a lot of them, so I'm not holding my breath.

My experience so far, like 10 hours into HoT, is that I'd be happy as a clam if I just got the first skill in each mastery tree right off the bat. Give me the basic tools to have fun with your goddamned game, ANet, then take me on Mr Bones' Wild Grind. The fact that I had to spend the better part of an hour trying to navigate Verdant Brink without a glider is stupid, and the fact that I can't do most of the boss content in the zone without first grinding out bouncing mushrooms and updrafts is extra stupid. Like 90% of what I want out of HoT is to glide around pretty zones for a while and putter around doing meta events. I don't really care about progression or grinding for ascendeds or whatever new treadmill poo poo they added to HoT, I just want to wander around looking at cool set pieces and playing events a couple hours a night.

One problem I really do have is that I can't just wander around the zone looking at things. If you're not in a group and doing meta events then you're dead as gently caress in these zones.

E: I haven't really looked into it at all, what's so grindy about HoT? All I've heard is that ascendeds suck rear end to make (nothing new) and that you need them for Raids (not surprising, if the "difficult endgame content" were tuned to be difficult but doable for exotics then ascended gear would make it really really easy)

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 25, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vermain posted:

They're absolutely not, which is why their recent design decisions point more towards a failure at the top-level design end than explicit catering to a large demographic. They just really do not know what the game Guild Wars 2 is supposed to be about, or who plays it (and for what reasons).

Lol they had the wildstar dev team develop HoT

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

PartyCrown posted:

this is something cletus made up that took off

Anyway, I like the expansion well enough. I'm having fun with the new elite specs, particularly reaper, and find gliding pretty enjoyable. But the maps being so oriented towards the meta events and not just wandering/exploring freely like the other ones has been a turn off for me, they feel much more restrictive and the sense of openness and freedom is one of the things that first really got me to stick with the game.
I am going to continue to play because I do still enjoy it for the combat and dressup and I love the goon/sfd community that plays, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to never play it again.

It's also something I made up, I was being sarcastic :cheeky:

I had no idea it was a pre-existing joke, though I'm not surprised

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

For the first time, I am pleased by how my Charr Ele looks

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

I hope you have a wonderful day, regardless of what day it is. :swoon:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also fix the goddamned Verdant Brink tendrils quest bug that consistently prevents Daytime Tier 4 VB

It's really annoying to spend an hour and a half chewing through daytime bugs to have one of the last Pact Encampment quests bug out and kill your push for T4

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is it just me or can Tempest keep something like an 60% up time on Magnetic Aura without even trying?

Fire tree trait for 33% longer auras, Tempest tree trait for a 5 second Magnetic Aura every time you get hit under 90% HP, with a ten second cooldown. Every 10 seconds, next time you get hit you apply a 6.6s Magnetic Aura (that also gives swiftness, vigor, regen, might, and fury, if you do a Fire+Air auramancer approach).

Also what are people's thoughts on the last Fire trait? Longer Fire Fields and fury on blast+fire, might on fire skill, and blind on burn are all really good. I've been using Might on fire skill to stack might to pass with the Warhorn Fire 4, but Blind on burn sounds really nice with Fire Overload, particularly for Fractals and such where damage mitigation is important. Also with 33% burn on crit, with 70% crit chance or so with Fury, that's like a solid one in four chance to blind someone on any attack, which seems pretty slick, especially with the Dagger multi-hit basic attacks.

E: vvvv drat. Still! Magnetic Aura Spam is pretty sweet

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 1, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah there's no point in doing Tangled Depths. Like literally none, you're never going to actually win the drat meta event until they change how it scales

If you want Fulgurite you're better off doing Dragon's Stand because it's actually a map that can be won.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The sand squall is actually a 30 second cooldown, the 10s listing is from when the trait was a stunbreak on using horn abilities, and never got removed.

I suppose that's a good thing because a 10s cooldown on it seems OP as gently caress, but it'd be nice if the tooltips weren't misleading/confusing. I hate it when games essentially lie about the rules.

Makes Elemental Bastion (heal on aura, Frost Aura on hit below 75% HP w/ 30s cooldown) a little more appealing, but I don't think Frost Aura + minor healing beats out Magnetic Aura + Boon Duration + Protection.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

drat, they replied to my ticket in about six minutes. I'm so used to Blizzard CS, but I guess Blizzard has a huge player base so it's understandable.

Alright so now I get to figure out what to play. I either go back to my weird flamethrower/grenade Engineer or my Mesmer that I haven't done much with. Or something new.

What's up with the specializations or whatever they're called? Are they BETTER than the base classes, or just different?

There's basically no reason to not take most elite specializations from what I can tell. People have said Daredevil (Thief) and Berserker (Warrior) are both really lackluster, and that the rest are amazing. Tempest (Elementalist) is, in my experience, REALLY good, but people have also said it's one of the strongest elite specs. If you play an Ele, take Tempest. It's bonkers good whether you use the new Warhorn weapon or not (and Warhorn is also amazing)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Haha Chak Gerent, the one boss pubbies can actually manage to bar break

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kessel posted:

fwiw watch this Pro League match in which Caed uses Daredevil to demonstrate a masterclass in "gently caress you" pvp

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/27937802 match begins at around 2:53

anet will probably look at this and think daredevil doesn't need fixing, when in reality maybe two or three players in the world are good enough to pull this poo poo off

I will say, Daredevil is a very pretty class to watch, and looks really fun. I like irritating, squirrely playstyles a lot. It seems a lot more 'flip around being an annoying, dodgy jerk' oriented than the stealth stuff I usually expect out of Thief

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kerrrrrrr posted:

How do you get fulgurite from Dragon's Stand?

You need Ley Line Sparks for Fulgurite, only sources of those (afaik) are Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand. Tangled Depths is awful, so do Dragon's Stand.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any suggestions for dealing with Tempests as a Daredevil, other than rolling over and dying? The number of boons and conditions they vomit everywhere, combined with how much goddamned damage they do (in part because it's no problem to hit 15+ might stacks on a tempest) is nuts. I'm running staff shortbow, daredevil heal, standard utils (shadow refuge, signet of agility, shadowstep), and Impact Strike for my elite. One of the problems I'm having is that it seems like the moment I hit a Tempest, I'm covered in at least 3 conditions that they just exude without even pressing buttons and I have no idea how to deal with it, but I want to get better at pvp because this is astonishingly fun, other than when I'm fighting Tempests and feeling like there's no way to win other than playing 3v1.

Should I be trying to kite them? Stability doesn't protect from cripple, right? So in theory I could Shortbow 5 away, turn around, pop 3, and run and gun while they burn out attunements? Only thing I can think of, other than that they just vomit too many boons and conditions and too much damage to fight head to head unless I can get a Steal -> Staff 1 for Knockdown, then pop my elite and just burst them down before their overloads can butcher me

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 8, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been doing them regularly since HoT, they are so much more tolerable now since they were split up rather than requiring the set all at once. Also since dungeons are dead, it's nice to have 5-person group content. So this is good news!

donate me gold for christmas, tia

Yeah fractals are actually pretty fun now. Doing 6 of them for dailies can get a little tedious because pubs only ever want to run 2, 10, 21, 32, and the two daily floors though (it's because 2, 21, 32 are swampland, the fastest fractal, and 10 is molten boss, the second fastest). On the other hand I've definitely advertised for the speedrun floors then "accidentally" dragged my pubs into other floors for funsies.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Flavor of the month strong classes are Guardian, Elementalist, and Mesmer. Rangers are pretty annoying too if they're Druids

Speaking of Mesmers, how do you kill Chronos? I've never come even close without it being 2v1 or 3v1

e: the upcoming nerf to their ridiculous goddamned block skill will actually help a good bit

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

quote:

Tangled Depths
Fixed an issue that was causing the chak gerents to scale too aggressively when players joined their lanes.

Woo hopefully TD is actually possible now

E: Good to see they decided not to nerf Chrono at all this patch :rolleyes:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lonk posted:

I hope the package is nothing but photocopies of asura butt

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is the Royal Terrace any good?

Probably not, but curious

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
i dont understand pubbies and their inability to count enemies in pvp, realize that 1 is less than 4, and turn around instead of suiciding into the enemy team over and over

like just go to another point, there's 4 on that point so we can easily take the other two

Dreggon posted:

if you need what it has, yes

i have my warrior parked there for crafting, but my revenant is carrying around a bunch of permanent items that render it essentially obsolete

however, they're two different characters, so the area is pretty good yes

Hrm. Decisions decisions. Unfortunately I only have one character that can make ascended crap and they're the one I play the most, so parking them there is less than ideal.

On the other hand, passes go on sale like once a year and I have nothing better to burn gems on, and I'll definitely want one eventually to park someone there for easy everything access and easy ascended crafting. Sold!

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 17, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any advice or resources on getting better at pvp? I'm just kind of slamming my head against the wall in Emerald and have no idea how to even know what I'm doing wrong. It's unbelievably frustrating

E: I'm watching qqmore but I'm also looking for like how to not get my rear end beaten horribly in almost every 1v1 ever. Are there any classes that are particularly fun/easy to learn/easy to do okay with?

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 18, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you want a pretty easy way to make a lot of money, play pvp on the wintersday reward track. Just opened all my loot from a once-through of the reward track and the drinks and stuff alone were ~15g.

I think you make extra money if you open all your loot on a level ~50 character, cause you can salvage all the gear drops into T4 mats which is the most expensive material tier, overall, right now. You lose out on the occasional rare, you win on all of your fine and masterwork stuff salvaging for several silver of mats each.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Continuing my attempts to get better at pvp and derailing the thread from its rightful birdchat origins, is there any way to activate Dragonhunter trap stacks as Thief without just getting completely mauled by them? I had a game earlier where I walked onto a point at ~12k HP and promptly died to Dragon's Maw + Procession of Blades before the knockdown from Dragon's Maw had even ended. The freaking Dragonhunter wasn't even there, he ran back after the traps had downed me to stomp me :mad:

Also is it cool if I keep asking dumb baby pvp questions? Goons seem more or less like they know what they're doing and this stuff is crazy hard

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thief is really fun, it's just really bad

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I really like my p/p daredevil. I just think it would be a lot more fun if he wasn't hilariously ineffective.

Yeah this. I love D/P thief and have a good time playing it, I just don't do anything useful ever because the mobile roaming 1v1 class can't 1v1 anything in the game unless you badly outplay them. I play it in Unranked to blow off steam when I'm frustrated with Ranked.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah having played some Chrono I think their defensive tech is really proactive and not good once you're on the back foot, so if they step into a trap blender they're pretty hosed.

Otoh there's like no reason for them to die to traps. Just put up the (incredibly long) evasion well on a point as you go in if there's a DH on it

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ExHumus posted:

The evasion well is only 3 seconds and it now causes you to not be able to contest the point, so if you are arriving on time (i.e. as it is being de-capped/capped and not after) this is a bad strategy. That being said, you do not need to use Mesmer defense proactively in order to be very hard to kill. Sword/shield has more than enough defense to survive a trap blender after you've unwittingly set one off. The key to keeping your defenses up is to fit very small pauses between your active defense skills when you can and keep alacrity up as much as possible so that they recharge quickly.

Ah in my experience if I get CCed as Chrono I'm pretty much fuckin dead. Otoh I'm bad so

also i want to join a goon guild which one should i join

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The frequency with which HoT crashes for me is absolutely infuriating. I regularly crash in HoT zones right as the big map meta events end, so I get no rewards.

Just did an hour and a half of Dragon's Stand to crash at the victory cut scene, so I did literally all of the work and get nothing, and I get a "network error" when I try to rejoin. This is so stupid.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

use the 64-bit client. the 32-bit one runs out of memory and crashes real easily

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

E: Sweet, I was expecting to have to redownload the whole client, but according to Dulfy I can just download the (30 megabyte) 64 bit client and put it alongside my 32 bit client and it should work cause they can share the same data files. Just put in the 64 bit client and updated my shortcuts to point to it, and away we go, I'm back in game on the new client already! Thank you so much Thunderbro, given the map participation system, bugs that crash your game and force you out of full maps are very aggravating.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 20, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
thief is garbage right now, sadly

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Getting from one race's starting zone to another is pretty much as follows:

Finish the starting instance that's kind of a story setup
Turn around and walk into your race's home city, you start just outside it
Find the shiny purple ring there (It's an Asura Gate) that leads to Lion's Arch
In Lion's Arch there's asura gates to every race's home city, pick your poison and head through

Thunderbro posted:

You can instantly SPVP at full effectiveness on a fresh character so just play everything. Thief is currently Not Flavor of the Month but who cares. Guardian, Elementalist, and Revenant are bae if you want to touch your friends with green numbers. MetaBattle has some builds random nerds think are good so I like to start there.

guardian: a warrior with big fuckoff sword that heals a lot

and not remotely hard

I recommend against Thief because it's pretty ineffectual feeling right now :shrug:

I like running around with my Thief but lol at actually fighting people, you have to build full glass cannon to match other people's like Cele builds (because all the popular kids can might stack themselves easily) and that means you have half as much HP as them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Once I got TD fully explored I really started liking it, especially once I realized that it's a hub and spoke design with the Ley Line Confluence as the hub

E: Randomly, I just got a Sorrow's Embrace weapon chest from a pvp reward track (I want Forgeman's Leggings for a getup) and the Dark Asuran weapons are really cool! I feel like a good black/red costume with the right pieces would make a really awesome Tron themed setup

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 21, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is it better to sell or open Wintersday gifts?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
it cannot be overstated how stupid the gauntlet of exploding gifts part of the wintersday jump puzzle is

I can reliably do the rest of this jump puzzle, but the gifts part continues to be "hold W, mash space bar, and pray like hell"

e: otoh it feels amazing when you get through it by the skin of your teeth

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kessel posted:

the saddest part of that "watch the fight" image is that you can finally play fairly well-designed raids in GW2 without the need for add-ons

too bad only 0.01% of the playerbase will ever see them

I really wish they hadn't called them raids, I assumed they would be awful grindy piles of poop until goons started saying that they're cool and good, and that Gorseval video someone posted seemed to go pretty well even though you guys had a newbie. Gorseval looks like he strikes a good mix of being challenging enough to keep you on your toes, but not so hard that it's an overtuned pile of rear end requiring full ascended with perfect buffs and 50+ wipes before you actually manage to clear him.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
As far as the xpac being barebones, I'm reserving judgement on that until we see how much more content they release, cause if they do a good living world season 3 and/or season 4, with new maps and stuff then I'll be pretty happy with my purchase cause I think of that stuff as being part of the expansion since we don't have to pay for it.

As it is I'm not super pleased by the expansion (it's mediocre but not awful) but I think that they laid some good groundwork for future expansions so I'm hopeful for the future.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kessel posted:

honestly it says more about the insanity that went into designing the new mesmer traits/elite spec than it does about raids

Pretty much this. Lol at people being grumpy at the idea of ANet nerfing mesmers because it will screw with raid cheese.

Please please god PLEASE nerf mesmers. PLEASE. They are the only class in the game I've seen hold up an entire team from capping a point for upwards of a minute, it's gross and awful and bad. gently caress everything about bunker mesmers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ExHumus posted:

Bunker mesmers already got nerfed...

And it didn't do a whole lot to change the fact that they're still powerful and irritating beyond all reckoning. What Kessel said is spot on - the new Chrono stuff means they're a class design that is going to be overpowered unless you completely dumpster everything they can do

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just queued with Goons for some spvp while at 500 ping because my parents' internet sucks.

Managed to win five games in a row to gain eight pips, tiering up twice.

thanks and god bless, and merry christmas everyone

• Locked thread