Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
you have to use slick shoes for proper lubrication

be careful you don't mess up and use glue bomb instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

:agreed: I don't get why they went from having them all on all to the time to how it is now

At the very least they could have made it so the buff you pick sticks around forever and not this sorta janky rear end implementation where it's just a 24 in-game hour buff, which is just long enough to not have to refresh it regularly but short enough it always ends up running out on me without me noticing :mad:

I don't have it on hand, but I also recall seeing a screenshot of an Aegis duration in the weeks on a Guardian, so the engine can definitely handle longer duration buffs than 24h.

Really though, there are non-duration buffs in the game and they should be used instead of a timed buff, and then just stripped (like the timed buff) when you change buffs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Fractals also give lots of Central Tyria XP, and are how I got most of my masteries done.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Valicious posted:

I'm thinking of making a melee character cause heavy armor looks cool. Sell me on either warrior or guardian.

Warrior is amazing

You can sprint a million miles an hour with Greatsword and Sword/Warhorn

You can stunlock anyone with Hammer

You can light the entire world on fire with Sword/Torch and Longbow

You can turn almost literally invincible for several seconds with Endure Pain and Berserker Stance (Endure Pain blocks direct damage, Berserker Stance pulses Resistance, a boon which blocks condi damage, and the only way to harm you is to load you with condis and then repeatedly strip your Resistance)

You have 20k HP base (in glass cannon gear you're about as durable as a Guardian in moderately tanky gear)

Berserk is one of the most fun class mechanics in the game - you go super saiyan for ten seconds and can readily access a big pile of super powerful moves specific to each weapon. Greatsword Berserk slashes everything in a huge radius around you for a ton of damage, Longbow Berserk lays out an enormous aoe of horrid burning death, Hammer Berserk makes you fling yourself through the air and immobilize everything where you land.

Headbutt is simultaneously a stun break, a (long) stun, and fills your Adrenaline (your turbo meter, basically, you have to fill it to use Berserk) and is amazing.

Lastly, with the right build you will always contribute enormously to any group - Warrior has builds that are incredibly good at handing out Might (the bonus damage boon) to everyone around them while also smashing things in the face.

All that said, Arus is right that you should try both Guard and Warrior. I have both of them and they're both great classes. I just happen to completely adore how fast Warrior is and how much burst damage it is. It doesn't bother me that its ranged options are generally somewhat subpar and not very flashy, I'm all about GO FAST KILL FAST

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Run Retreat and Staff and you can maintain either permanent or near permanent swiftness on guardian with staff 3 and the shout. There's also a trait in a pretty good line that gives boon duration while using a staff if you want

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
warrior, duh

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ItBurns posted:

GW2 PvP is pretty awful to watch and it never really had a base on account of the lack of in-game rewards for casual players, box price, and no big prize pools to attract pro teams. Even in its heyday the barrier to entry was low enough that all but the last few brackets were absolute poo poo shows.

I calculated that I'd have to spend something like 8 hours just waiting for queues to pop in order to finish my backpack if that's any indication of how popular PvP is.

MMO pvp in general is impenetrable to any kind of casual viewing imo. It's like having a hundred dota characters share 10 actual visual appearances and expecting people to be able to process what the gently caress is going on. The perspective doesn't help with visual clarity, either.

Even having not touched League in like a year and a half and actively trying to stay up to date on GW2 pvp, it's easier to follow a League pro game than GW2 pvp.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
how do you even get vomit corn

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

What happened?

got bored

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Schpyder posted:

Good performance in general, but some of the instruments were painfully out of tune.

Edit: totally drives home how much better the themes from HoT are than in the original game. Soule is a good composer, but almost nothing in stock GW2 was in any way memorable the way The Golden Cave, Attack on Tarir, Faren's Flyer, Auric Wilds, SCAR, and so on are.

For real!! I drove up to Seattle w/ my fiance to see it live cause we're nerds, and every time the... I think it was one of the French Horns, every time they had an entrance it made me flinch because of how out of tune they were. It was a really great concert in general though, I never really realized how mournful the Lion's Arch music is until they played it.

I really really loved some of the low, ominous, almost threatening cello parts (I played cello for a decade and absolutely love the instrument) . The Verdant Brink music, the name of which I forget entirely, has a particularly great cello part.

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah if that screenshot is faked then it's a really good fake.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

this is, all at once, the best, stupidest, and funniest thing

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
God drat I need to work on Astralaria, it'd fit perfectly with my Mesmer's armor. And my Guard's!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

guardian is getting axe for example, that kind of major thing won't change, so hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype on that!

Agreed, Axe has easily some of the best legendaries in the game

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I bought the game around when HoT was released, then HoT itself some months after that. I've (very casually) played a warrior from 1-80 and really like it, but I'm worried the warrior endgame might be too twitchy for me. I run a GS/Hammer build and can usually kill things pretty effectively, but I'm at the point in the HoT storyline where I can hardly progress because if I ever get attacked by more than two Maguuma mobs at the same time, I usually get stuck in an AoE and die. I'm in all Exotics, so I don't think it's a gear thing.
I really like the warrior, but if I can't even do map completion stuff without getting stomped by non-elite monsters, should I try out another class? I've played Ranger and Thief to 20 or so and like them both, but I get the feeling they'll turn a lot less forgiving in later levels.

Also, I've hardly done any dungeons at all because of the LFG mentality ("gently caress everyone who doesn't know all the content by heart, and especially gently caress you if you ever die"). Is there any point to doing them at this point?

Are you running Healing Signet? Run Healing Signet. It's great

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ItBurns posted:

The Portable Provisioner sells otherwise expensive (2nd tier) food for badges.

Correct answer, never be without food again!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Random rumor: Bastion of the Penitent was designed to be a compromise between the hardest end-game content and being new-raider friendly, only because of some edict from above. The original design basically had the Challenge Motes as the normal fights, and sometimes even harder, i.e. the reason Mursaat Overseer is such a punching bag.

I also feel the final product is much better because of this, even if it cost the challenge modes from being more rewarding.

Thank God, I'd never run w4 if the challenge motes were the normal fights, simply because Cairn's CM mechanic is one of the most irritating boss mechanics I have ever seen

Context for non raiders, Cairn gives you a button that's a 1200 range targeted dash on a five second cool down. It's awesome! On CM if you don't use it every ten seconds, it shoots you straight forward uncontrollably. It's incredibly annoying.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jinh posted:

Man, they really really hate necro

new epidemic is worse in pvp/wvw but probably better in pve because the radius for smearing condis is half again as big as it used to be, and the new plague elite looks pretty good

imo this patch was a pretty good buff to necro on the whole, though im mostly a pve player

E: nm didn't realize you can body block the epidemic projectiles and it just deletes them, that's so stupid

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

I just realized the new Mesmer elite spec probably won't have a passive move speed boost like Chronomancer does :negative:

Maybe mounts will make up for it

Slot Signet of Inspiration and wield a Focus. SOI's random buffs include 5s of Swiftness every 10s, and Focus 4 is 12s of Swiftness on a 25s cooldown.

Voila, you have almost 100% Swiftness uptime with no boon duration stuff, or traits towards Focus.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thursday Night Casual Raid just did a flawless VG kill, I am so drat proud of all of you!!! This might not seem like a big deal to some of you other raiders, but this is huge and exactly my goal when starting this weeknight thing, to expose more people to raid content and learn how it works! And you all killed it tonight!!!

e: oh and I got that sparkling ascended greatsword drop so I rule

Congrats you guys!!! That's awesome.

also lol arus my fiance has wanted that greatsword for like literally the entire time we've raided and she still hasn't gotten it, i told her you got it and got the best facial expression out of her

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh that's a type in the necro section lol, wow how did none of you notice this after 2 years

Wait, this means that........no one.....reads....the OP......

:smith:

(except Trogdos thank you I love you)

I read literally every word of the OP when I first started playing, and it was good and helpful!!!

(I just started playing before HoT)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
holy gently caress ratsune miku is brilliant

illuyankas your character names are glorious

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

lucifirius posted:

Is condition reaper still fractal god?

do epidemic and reaper shroud still exist? ;)

Non-sassily, yeah Condi Reaper should still be just fine for fractals. Some people will huff and puff about BUT MUH SPEEDRUN STRATS but for 99.9% of the game (myself included), you're better off playing a class that reliably chugs through content at a good pace than glass cannon strats that will lose you more time to wipes than you'll gain from an extra 15% DPS.

Run qT's blood magic setup, imo, and don't be afraid to drop Lingering Curse for Parasitic Contagion (grandmaster trait in Curses, you can swap out better Scepter condis for a lot of lifesteal on all of your condis and it makes you unbelievably survivable) if you're having trouble staying up. Work towards dodging enough crap that you can use Lingering Curse, but if you need Parasitic Contagion you need it, and "less than optimal" damage is a hell of a lot more than "dead on the floor" damage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
my fav part is alteisen whining (again) about raids when this patch didn't touch raids at all

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

I've got every craft to at least 400 across my alts. I'm just a huge spendthrift when it comes to materials and don't want to sink my limited gold/blood reserves into berserker gear for each of my 80s.

Cool, I don't have classes this summer to be up early for and get off work about an hour before, so I can actually make these for a couple months.

e: Flame Legion runes okay as a filthy poor alternative to Scholar for Hammer Guardian? Mesmer runes for the +100 precision?

What's your in game name? I'll fire you a set of Scholars.

Hammer guard benefits from Scholar more than most because you have passive Aegis and never-ending Prot and healing from symbols to help keep you topped off, so you definitely want a set.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 8, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Sweet, thank you. Smuggins.7852

Sent, enjoy raids! :)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh yeah it's a loving gong show haha, I'm futilely trying to educate people on UTC but I think it's a lost cause

Hell no, shove UTC down people's throats until they like it.

My fellow Americans,

Pacific is UTC-8 in winter, UTC-7 in summer
Mountain is UTC-7 in winter, UTC-6 in summer
Central is UTC-6 in winter, UTC-5 in summer
Eastern is UTC-5 in winter, UTC-4 in summer

Knowing your basic UTC conversion is considerate of non-Americans and now you don't have an excuse to not know it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Infusing the backpiece isn't really worth it. You'll spend more on the 250 Ectoplasm than the extra +9s instead of +8s. The exception to this is Mawdrey or the Ascended Spinal Blades which don't take Ectos to infuse.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mawdrey_(Infused)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I loving hate the pact supply vendors so much

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

god i hate you for posting this

you fat piece of poo poo

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

frajaq posted:

the MOBA not only has a rune system like in LoL but also weapon upgrades that affect PvP :smithfrog:

stuff like that makes me appreciate GW2's PvP system even more

Oh so it's just straight pay2win?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Minor chrono tip, if you're doing Concentration Sigil (so you're starting the fight in Sword/Focus or Sword/Sword), use your 5 skill before using Sword 3. Sword and Focus 5 both have 1200 range, while Sword 3 only has 600 range, and it's very easy to jump the gun on hitting Sword 3 and to whiff it and be short an illusion.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Also calling it:

Balthazar dies, Taimi throws herself in the void to "save" everyone, Taimi becomes a god. This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmkAoLC6_4&t=135s

But with Taimi.

she could be a deity of temporal stuff

or

you know

a taim god

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure there was a dev Q&A where they were aiming for roughly the same amount of time between Ep5 and Ep6 as between Ep6 and the new expansion, so I'd guess October/November release for PoF. Also, this would be just in time for the holiday shopping season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also I'm dropping a new OP after the expansion announcement so you all better prepare you're asses

sweet more stuff for me to not read

ty arus

• Locked thread