Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tyblazitar posted:

Just to clear this up, the "ascended poo poo" in question is a precursor for the legendary backpiece. Considering that you need to salvage each step of the pre to get to the next step, and that gives you 5 of the balls of dark energy that you need, the amount of ascended items you need to salvage isn't that much. I read a thread on Reddit with people complaining about this, and their complaints basically boil down to "I am furious that this exclusive and ultimately unnecessary piece of legendary equipment is not attainable by casual players unable or unwilling to spend any gold". Also, the legendary in question is very fractal-themed, and people who regularly did high-level fractals before HoT generally have a bank tab full of boxes of ascended armor and weapons.

You must be unfamiliar with the concept of RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grain of salt etc. 1% wipes don't really say anything, they can happen due to various reasons. And "more DPS helps" has been true for MMO raids for the past decade, which is why killing the glass cannon meta was never going to happen (it's that or letting people trivialize everything by bringing too many healers/tanks to kill a boss in 30 minutes instead of 10), this is not unexpected.

If they really tuned raids to <5% enrage timers, in their game that doesn't officially support DPS metering, that would be hilarious and Anet as gently caress, though.

So precisely what I'd expect from these clowns.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dreggon posted:

when dps meters eventually make their way into the game some unfortunates who have been extremely satisfied with their class so far are going to be disappointed as they realise it can only do half the damage of some other class

Pretty much, yeah.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

You're all set for the upcoming underwater dragon expansion (featuring 2 new maps with unprecedented levels of verticality, a brand new utility skill for almost every class, and 40-man raid content for only $49.99)

Please.

It will be 59.99.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Normally we should probably take this with a grain of salt, but judging by everything else they did with/since the expansion, I can't help but worry too.

At the very least, I'd like some of what they are smoking :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah well, if the answer is "esports", please refer to my comment about smoking things. :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

Oh my god there's practically nothing exclusive about GW2.

This is like any MMO's endgame where there's nothing to do except run old content for its own sake, or grind for... what exactly? A little pvp tag next to your name (which is pretty dumb tbf)? You feel alienated because some people will have a shinier tag? Or a single set of raid armour? Or because you can't world complete in a week then do nothing until season 3?

None of the ~rewards casual players are denied~ have any value at all. Unless you're bafflingly compelled to have all your percent completions add up to a nice, comforting 100 at all times I guess.

For the record, I have no legendaries, about 50% world completion and haven't even touched the raid.

Nice meltdown, but I don't think you get to tell people what they value in a game and what they don't.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are plenty of things that are bad and worse, you can still call out Anet for doing dumb poo poo or not learning from past mistakes.

I mean, I could be playing Wildstar.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But at least they keep the gemstore things coming because who needs more than three armor/weapon models in a $50 expansion, there's still dozens from the vanilla game you can earn entirely within the game!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"No we didn't think this through" should be the tagline for HoT, IMO.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dreggon posted:

its trying to save you

the new grief:

do a hard, high level daily fractal (like cliffside) then at the end when you free the dude and click the chest click the "return to lobby" button on the right and people will click "yes" and not get their chests

a guy did this to me it was honestly pretty funny (only level 7 though)

I've had that happen with Jade Maw pre-HoT, so it's not new. Some fractals take forever to apply credit, and if you leave before that, :rip:, and people just hit OK when a prompt comes up after the fractal is "done".

In fact, in the old system it was even more fun because you didn't just lose a single fractal's reward, you lost the whole set reward and possible levelup :classiclol:

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 3, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Generic Octopus posted:

There was a game that did this. I'll let you guess.

I think I played this recently with Neoman. Hmm...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

Huh, turns out Azimuth is surprisingly affordable for a staff that cool-looking.

I'll take the word of someone with about 500 80s, but I still kinda wonder what "affordable" means in this context.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

When they talked about guildhalls and being able to customize em, I thought it'd be like fallout 4 and peoples lives would be consumed by decorations and layouts, but everything with guildhalls is designed to drain massive resources out of the economy so nobody bothers to spend 500g and a weeks worth of account bound currency for a set of chairs so every guildhall is nearly identical aside from the cheap or free materials.

It's really too big, also: refer to the thread title.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lonk posted:

Guild Halls are big and empty so you can sit in them while you contemplate how we all wasted $50+ to beta test this rushed expansion.

drat it.

And you for making me realize it. SAB is never coming back!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

I think they actually hired like one or two, the rest is people actually taking a joke Cletus posted at face value for some reason.

"for some reason" is probably because Anet made so many moronic decisions surrounding HoT, that "they hired the idiots who made Wildstar fail" suddenly becomes plausible :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

This thread might be worse than HoT now.
Impossible.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Do you even have enough character slots for all your horrible hilarious names?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Visidan posted:

Kill people, take objectives. I dunno if you're on mag but if you see SFD roaming around just follow us around for a bit.

WvW is in a really bad spot atm, there's only one decent map Eternal Battlegrounds don't bother going to the others.

Would having the glacial borderlands again even make a difference among all the other poo poo the changes to WvW and guild bonuses did to this mode?

The new maps are pretty and that's mostly it, but that's generally the thing with this expansion (other than the thread title), to the point I think the only competent people working for Anet are the web programmers and the artists.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah come on, spending the next 5+ minutes catching up to a group (then running around a corner into an enemy zerg just so I can do it again) has always been my favourite part of WvW/EotM.

Kessel posted:

it would also help if everything didn't auto-upgrade while you just sat there with a thumb up your rear end

Yeah that's what I meant with the other changes. But I can see how the smaller glacial borderlands would at least make things slightly better.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

UchihaHirou posted:

New Timekeeper Weapon Skins
http://dulfy.net/2015/12/15/gw2-timekeeper-weapon-skins-gallery/

Rifle, Pistol, Sword, Focus look pretty good. Hammer isn't bad either.

I'm so glad they keep their artists busy making exploitative lottery rewards instead of wasting their time putting them into the content rich 50$ expansion.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mairn posted:

So in 3 hours I managed 300/10000 drinks for the shoulders... They are going for almost 800g to buy the 10,000 outright.
I doubt I am grinding as efficiently as possible but that means it takes ~70+ hours of grinding to finish the shoulders.
What. The. gently caress.

This is not a new thing for Anet, they've almost always opted for the "screw content, just make what we have take longer" school of MMO development since launch.

Also not at all related: http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2015/12/13/hi-im-from-the-games-industry-governments-please-stop-us/

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 16, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Illuyankas posted:

Of all the things to bring back from GW1, drinking 10,000 drinks? Really?

within 4 weeks of the xmas event no less :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a seating machine, officer!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

So I got Heart of Thorns as an early christmas gift and...Well, jesus christ, the economy has inflated since I quit playing. I remember when converting gems from gold was actually possible if you played normally. Now it costs like 70 gold for 400 gems. So much for Anet's supposed balancing systems that were going to prevent inflation on the exchange. :stare:

On that note, how the hell do you make money nowadays? Apparently dungeons were nerfed to hell and back at some point?

Edit: Also, should I be using these writs of experience as I get them or saving them for a tome of knowledge if i'm leveling an alt to get back in the swing of things? I'm not sure what the conversion rate on them is.

Buy more gems, dude!

Also writs give 5% of your current level, turn 20 into a tome of knowledge that gives you one level. It doesn't really matter.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Except FF14 is awful too, just in other ways. The only reason this game still has traction is 1) final fantasy fans and 2) WoW doing almost everything wrong for 1.5 expansions now (and 3) there not being any viable alternatives for treadmill poopsockers of course). It has a lot of unnecessary RNG and tedious grinds so it's on par with other awful MMOs (ie. all of them), and it's a game that decided, yep, making 100 post-release "story" quests mandatory to even start expansion content is a good idea.

It's like GW2 had required us to finish the personal story and all previous living story content to even start HoT stuff. Except worse because 80% of these quests are mindless fetch quests and the other 20% require finishing old dungeons of the previous level cap, complete with item level requirements, so you even get to upgrade your gear in the level 50 treadmill, before you're ever allowed into the new level 50-60 stuff where your old gear is immediately obsolete anyway.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Totbot posted:

Arus being a whiny baby when people don't agree with him.

Par for the course.

Nice meltdown.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At the same time you can't sell game balance for :10bux: per outfit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Probad posted:

SAB speed runners would probably get more viewers than the GW2 esports scene.

Now you made Lazy sad.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

It's me, the old guy with too much disposable income. I mean, I bought two more character slots when they were on sale because they were on sale you guys!!!

:smith:

Edit: ^^^^^ yessssssssss

I spent a fair amount on dumb gem store things, but I think I'm done now, this is getting ridiculous.

Also I take it back, Anet artists are just as bad as their game designers :wtc:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

wait, it's just one item, and not one bag slot?

lol

Gotta fund that next $50 expansion somehow.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

To be honest, the only real flaw in the original Shatterer fight is that there's no damage field around it to prevent people doing exactly what we do now (like the one the Claw of Jormag has). It hits pretty hard, when it hits anything, but it was clearly designed to be attacked head-on and it shows.

:wtc:

The last thing we need more of are exciting lame "whack some adds/structures for 90% of the fight" encounters.

Never design MMOs please.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Yeah, when I put mats in the Guild Bank it's so someone else can use them. I'd never use it for storage. Besides, can't you store something like 1500 in each slot on the mat tab?

250 unless you buy the storage expanders (+250 per expander).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hefty posted:

I finished the pvp reward track for the last maguuma zone and I got a chak egg that I can apparently use to buy a weapon. Kind of hosed up that this reward track only gives you one weapon, but whatevs. So I go to buy this thing and oh actually they cost 3-5 eggs.

God drat it, Colin.
:laffo:

This is so Anet it hurts. They're trying even harder to keep you playing by grinding poo poo than subscription based MMOs at this point.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sair posted:

Maguuma is actually medium pop right now. 500 gems.

Expansion success :v:

Alteisen posted:

So never?

:thumbsup:

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 5, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

You can convert your boosters to generic ones that'll give any boost (the generics come in combat and non-combat varieties) for ten silver per conversion at a bunch of merchants around the world. Just don't convert karma boosters, the rate sucks.

More importantly you can't get karma boosts out of the generic ones anymore (unless they changed that back?).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just start to craft lots of ascended things?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Just chuck it, and don't bother.

But imagine all the cool greens you could have gotten! :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I get that recoloring wings is easier than creating armor and stuff for a 3+ yo game, but come on :laffo:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy hell you're not joking, what the gently caress is wrong with Anet these days

CLAM DOWN posted:

Between the hilariously bad items/skins and the exchange rate, this whale isn't a whale anymore.

I don't get why they don't sell gems in CAD, GTA5 does with shark cards, like gems would be 19.99 CAD instead of 19.99 USD which means like $28

Same and what do you mean with "these days" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tambaloneus posted:

Wait are people paying actual money for these things? I guess there's no patience for just making the gold to buy it. I mean geez I only play an hour a day and even I have like 5 extra chara slots, 2 extra bank slots, two glider skins, heavens knows how many makeovers I've bought (well, like 3 of them) - all with gold I've gotten with those paltry non-poopsockin' hours of play.

But then I've also bought sets of chest keys and contributed to the RND so I am part of the problem I guess. Sorry?

(made mad money on those chests though, hahaha rnd losers)

You're not getting the gold for these things nowadays with the current gem-gold rate unless you have a very different definition of non-poopsockin' than I do. Basically if I can spend 10 hours farming gold in a potentially unfun, but optimized way, or work 1 hour more for the RL money then spend 9 hours in game doing things I like, I'm not going to be farming gold (numbers entirely made up but you get the point why people would do this at different rates).

• Locked thread