Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

New thread? Time to re-read the OP for no reason!

Why would you do that? Hasn't been updated in like three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, WoodenPotatoes's video on the raid actually isn't awful. He seems like he's worried about the same things a lot of people in here are worried about--specifically, profession and elite spec balance being so thoroughly off-kilter that Druids are the only real choice to heal, that there are only a few viable choices for condition damage or boon stripping, etc. I watched the video because I thought it would be amusingly grognardy but it really isn't.

God damnit. I'm starting to agree with Arus that raids were a bad idea. And after I typed so many words in their defense, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

Regret for posting many words on SA is the correct response, no matter what words there were

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

I will say that I would like to see certain specs (healing, toughness, damage) buffed or changed for other classes so that the Druid isn't the only go-to healing spec that pugs will go towards. At least other classes can fill the other roles (Mesmer, Necro, Thief, Rev, or Sigils of Nul for the boon-strips; Any class for condi/power DPS [yeah, even rangers, harhar]; Guards, Revs, Engis, Warriors for tanking/leading the bosses). And yes, the best specs will be sought after by the poopsockiest of the pugs, like the W/G/T/E/E party comp for high-end fractals, but that same thing even happened in the elite dungeons in GW1; there's almost no way to escape that entirely.

I think I'd rather see healing/support not be a dedicated role necessarily, but rather something that multiple party members contribute to while doing other things (bringing into play healing skills like the Chronomancer's Well of Eternity or Tempest's "Wash the Pain Away!", for example). Tanking/control, too.

Doing that, of course, wouldn't really scratch the Zerker meta, but I care less and less about killing off the Zerker meta anyway. The more I play action/semi-action RPG multiplayer games, the more I start to think that "which numbers you stack" is the least interesting way to customize your character. Something I really loved about GW1 was that you didn't really have stats--your build was defined entirely by your loadout, not really what gear you wore. I mean, yeah, your skill points determined a lot, but that never really felt as limiting as the gear stats in GW2 sometimes do. Similarly, GW1 didn't have passive abilities/traits that were just "do 10% more damage," while GW2 does, and anything like that is just destined to be boring to me.

I feel the same way about boons, actually. I'd rather each profession have a couple of really strong, short-lived buffs it can provide, that feel really impactful and unique, rather than having to make sure your group has 25 stacks of Might all the time. That's probably why Mesmer's my favorite class. We're not very good at handing out boons, but we do have a couple of cool, strong single skills like Time Warp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

orcane posted:

Welcome to underwater content.

Remember when people thought there would be an underwater expansion?

Ah, memories. :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New legendaries are cool as gently caress, though it's kind of weird that all three of them have the "gives your arm some weird effect" thing. They're clearly very enamored with that.

Dungeon changes seem to translate to "please stop running dungeons, we don't like them and neither should you." They're about as upfront about that as they can be: they "shifted focus" to fractals and raids and naturally they want us to shift our focus the same way, so they're basically removing any incentive to run dungeons beyond doing them once just to see them I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

whydirt posted:

Bring back heroes and henchmen as NPCs you can take along into dungeons

This please.

If map rewards don't succeed in incentivizing people to return to old maps then they should also have heroes/henchmen available there, too, so that people can still do group events.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have been playing too much Destiny this past month because shooting spacemans is fun.

Have I missed any more hype-killing poor decisions by ArenaNet? Looking forward to enjoying the open world stuff in HoT, Stronghold, and nothing else :v:

Last I saw they showed off the new legendaries and they look pretty neat though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I'm up at 7am no matter what.
It's a disease.

Me, too. I caught it when I hit my mid-20s and it's only gotten worse. Please send help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally catching up on HoT news.

Holy poo poo the new staff legendary is perfect. As soon as I saw it I hoped that the projectile animation would let you throw spirit birds and what do you know, that's exactly what it does. That staff is incredible and I must have it.

I kinda like the pistol, too. I'm not cool enough to pull off Quip.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tirinal posted:

Oh, look. In four days I will practically double my dps in pve as a mesmer.

Are we certain this includes illusions? Because if so, gently caress yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And that's a yes on illusions being included under minions for this.

Welp, this is the best change I could hope for as a mostly-PvE Mesmer. I was actually planning on not playing much around the HoT launch (because I'm addicted to Destiny goddamn please send help) but this might've changed my mind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seriously, this is a pretty big change for Mesmer DPS, especially in group PvE stuff, especially if it includes cleave damage under "AoE." (I'm guessing yes.) Keeping three phantasms up at all times is going to be a lot easier with drastically reduced AoE damage to illusions and Chronophantasma in play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lyer posted:

Don't worry, you'll get bored of destiny once you've done the raid a few times and are just waiting on that goddamn ghost shell. Also hard mode kings fall comes out the same day as HoT, so lol.

You know, with phantasms staying up longer combined with the new shatter skill and phantasm respawn trait, we might see mind wrack being used a bit more tactically.

I'm not geared for the hard mode yet anyway, so that doesn't matter to me :v:

But yeah, this change is pretty much great all around for Mesmer. I even feel like I can use "support" phantasms more freely because I know that a) they'll probably live long enough to do useful things and b) I can reasonably assume my other two damaging phantasms will stay alive long enough that I'm still contributing to damage well. Phantasmal Avenger, here I come! And shatters, too, thanks to Chronophantasma. I won't have to feel so bad about a panic Distortion or, like you said, a quick Mind Wrack. Or using Continuum Split to use Time Warp and essentially give Time Warp a 90-second cooldown instead of a three-minute cooldown.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, those zones look like rear end. What was Anet thinking?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has ArenaNet specified whether we can start unlocking elite specs immediately once HoT releases (assuming we have the hero points) or whether we'll have to do a story quest or something else to unlock them first?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My main disappointment with raids, at least going from the first encounter, is that they're just big, complicated games of Simon Says. This should be filed under "I Don't Know What I Expected," because that's what pretty much all MMO raids are, but it's just something that's never really appealed to me. It's one thing to have a puzzle boss/Zelda-style boss, those are cool and a good way to do bosses in an MMO (see: the Facets and the Malevolent Memory bosses in Living World season 2), but I start to lose interest when you basically just make 10 people play conflicting versions of "go here, stand there, now stand there or you wipe, okay now hit this enemy with this type of debuff or you wipe."

It's too tightly scripted for me to have any fun with it. Again, I don't know what I expected. It's not like I have any better ideas for how to design challenging encounters for 10 players. But I don't personally find it fun. Maybe the other encounters will surprise me, though.

forkbucket posted:

VVV eh fair enough, as long as you can hop straight in without attunements or any such bs I'll be a happy camper VVV

Yeah, you can. They've claimed no attunements, though I expect they'll want you to have some masteries leveled. One of the bosses features gliding, for example.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 21, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lyer posted:

I hope they crib some ideas on how to do raids from destiny, those are pretty excellent and toe the line between grognardy and mindless very well.

It helps that Destiny has satisfying and fun moment-to-moment gameplay in a way more traditional MMOs just can't match. Guild Wars 2 has good combat feel for an MMO, but "for an MMO" is the most important clause there. I fully acknowledge this might just be personal preference, but I have more patience for things like DPS checks and enrage timers when my DPS is determined by how well I can shoot instead of memorizing and performing an optimal DPS rotation.

The GW2 raid encounter that gives me the most hope is the gliding one. Keep the gimmicks concrete but make them require coordination and skill to perform them and we're good. As soon as the gimmicks become "X boss needs Y debuff applied or you're boned, also make sure some of you run and stand in this AoE every few seconds" I kind of just glaze over and stop caring.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's also true.

I think that's what I was getting at with the "make the gimmicks concrete" thing. I was initially cool with having more rigid player roles in GW2 PvE, but the more I think about it, the more I much more favor temporary roles (like the relic carrier in Vault of Glass or the swordbearer in Crota's End). I also like that Destiny's raids involve tangible, concrete gimmicks.

Maybe a better way to put it is that what you ultimately have to achieve in each encounter doesn't change drastically throughout the length of the encounter, but how you do it gets more challenging, and is usually makes a certain amount of sense in a cause -> effect sort of way. To use a GW2 example, the bosses in the Hidden Arcana Living World quest are designed this way. You have some mini-bosses that teach you the gimmicks, then a final boss that uses them all together. Let the boss make you Fragile -> kill the facet that gives you the color attunement you need not to get pushed back from the Vortex Crystal -> let the Vortex Crystal absorb Fragility -> blow up the crystal to hurt the boss. It's a loop that makes sense (the crystal is invulnerable, but absorbs all your enchantments, so let it absorb the enchantment that makes you vulnerable so you can blow it up and hurt the boss) and can be made more complex with each cycle like a Zelda boss. It's a cool fight and it's easy to see how it could be scaled up into a good raid encounter.

I don't have much hope because they appear to have gone for the usual MMO "just make the mechanics really esoteric" design instead.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 21, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree completely. To go back to using Zelda as an example--the bosses tend not to make you do their gimmick more than three or four times, and each time you do it, you're rewarded by getting to knock off a big chunk of the boss's health. For the Malevolent Memory fight in GW2, each successful crystal detonation should've knocked off like 25% of the boss's health instead of the something-like-10% it actually did.

Destiny shows how even something like that can be scaled up to raid levels. The final boss of the game's newest raid isn't really meaningfully damaged by guns, but instead by detonating orbs of light that you have to free from light-eating ogres. Each orb you detonate does something like 7% of the boss's health, and if you do it right you can detonate four per cycle, meaning you only have to do the whole cycle four times if you're smart about it. In fact, every boss in the new raid is designed so that you only have to go through each cycle three or four times at most.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am temporarily fed up with Destiny because of do-this-quest-today-or-wait-two-weeks quests and not wanting to put in the effort to put a raid group together.

Just in time for HoT! So I'm happy about that. Can't wait to Chronomancer it up on Friday. We'll be able to just immediately start dumping hero points into the elite specs, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mercurius posted:

The full elite spec line costs 400 to unlock but the full line also includes the cosmetic weapon/armour and a set of runes plus a sigil. The actual traits/skills will cost significantly less (about 2/3 of total if the datamined staff is correct) so people with world completion should be able to unlock nearly all of it immediately as long as you don't need to do a small quest or something to make it available. Given that they said you can unlock them in WvW without going to the Maguuma jungle I'm expecting them to just be available immediately.

Yeah, I figure I won't be able to get the skins right away, but that's fine as long as I can get enough of it to have some Chronomancer fun right away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everybody please take care of your health and try not to die of video games when HoT releases :ohdear:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Predictions on how far they'll throw that bucket when it takes like 10 hours to patch because the servers are melting down?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Everyone should remember to bind the action cam stuff. It's really loving great and I can't imagine playing without it now.

I want to try it out, but I'm guessing it's not going to play well with Chronomancer. It's one thing when all of your AoEs should go under your target, and another when you might want to throw a ground target AoE under some allies or under yourself. If it works like the old action camera mod, that means swinging your camera around wildly to aim at the ground and is awkward.

That said, left-click-to-swing-sword is always nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Today's goal: don't watch streams at work so I can avoid getting overly jealous that other people are playing and I'm not.

I've been at work 15 minutes. So far, so good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did decide to go read about how Mesmers are liking release-version Chronomancer.

Apparently it has somehow made shatters the new best form of PvE DPS? Sword/shield + staff, then shatters (including Continuum Split) + wells + All's Well That Ends Well apparently out-damages phantasms and looks absolutely insane while you do it. You're basically just a pink blur the whole time, which sounds pretty fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm cool with masteries being the new progression. It definitely beats a level cap increase.

Maybe with the next expansion, they'll just remove levels entirely (didn't they consider this early in GW2's development?) and just have everything be hero points and masteries. 80 is a weird level number to sit at forever anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want those Chronomancer runes. I know, I know, Scholar is still probably the best, but the more Quickness I can throw around the happier I am.

And yeah, Marauder seems cool. I wouldn't want it on my Mesmer--we've got enough invulns that I don't feel like I need more Vitality, though maybe that'll change in HoT--but it'd be great on some of my other characters to cover for my poor dodging :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

teagone posted:

I really haven't been keeping up with most of the xpac stuff. How does one acquire specialization runes? I eventually want those berserker runes for the sinister armor on my sub-optimal pve condi warrior.

I'm pretty sure you get them as part of unlocking your elite spec, just like the unique weapon/armor skin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do you get the Halloween bags? Is there a full-on event going alongside HoT's launch?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Totbot posted:

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but it looks like pve/wvw got more stat sets?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pwdzu/new_stats_and_specialization_runes/

I could see Maurader being decent if you want a little extra Survivability. I know Guardian would feel a little more safe with that extra Vit.

Viper's might be good, and Marauder. Most of the rune sets seem cool, too. I said earlier I want the Chronomancer runes, and I do, but weirdly enough I think they might actually be better on Necromancer, since Chronomancer can give out a good amount of Quickness as it is.

teagone posted:

Go into the Mad King's labryinth and farm farm farm!

Welp.

I actually don't want Nightwing that much, but that karka helm is hilarious.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 23, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a sucker and so I am definitely going to buy the Crystal Arbiter thing from the gem store, but I can't decide which weapon skin to pick. I kind of want the greatsword, because it's big and colorful and I don't have a good greatsword skin for my Mesmer yet, but at the same time, the shield would be great for Chronomancin'. And the scepter looks fantastic, even though I never use scepter on any profession.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aesis posted:

God drat the expansion is so loving grindy :argh:

How so? Is it grindy in an "the expansion has been out for 12 hours, why don't I have max gliding yet?" kind of way, or in a more long-term, things-cost-way-too-loving-much way?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smith Comma John posted:

armor and weapons from the actual game instead of your wallet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3px5h0/look_at_the_new_awesome_collections_including/

Bladed armor is amazingly over-the-top, Leystone armor looks awful, more meh glowy weapons.

e: I'm the skull mask with razor blades taped to the front

I don't mind the light Leystone armor (male version, at least), though I'm curious how dyes affect it and the shoulders/headgear parts are terrible.

I kind of want the heavy Leystone for my eventual Revenant.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 23, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

Well it's a good thing only half the elite specs are worth a poo poo cause this expansion sucks pretty much all the way down.

I haven't even logged in yet, but goddamn, is it really that bad? Verdant Brink was cool during the BWEs, but so far people are a lot more immediately negative than I expected.

Alteisen posted:

Mastery is account bound right? I can't tell.

Yes, all masteries are account-bound.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It really feels like they want you to actively group up for HoT stuff. Relying on randoms isn't all that feasible when everything seems to work best with a group and the zones are large enough that people tend to be really spread out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

occluded posted:

I can see why people are having problems enjoying the new zones without having their full elite spec unlocked but I for one enjoying the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills to play with.

It helps that the Mesmer shield is really really good in the new zones as having a huge block duration and stun / reflect wall is pretty handy.

(I can't figure out how to love daredevil staff though. So sad...)

I like the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills, too, but I really thought that's what Masteries were for. It'd be one thing if I could reasonably solo most of these hero point challenges or access them fairly early on, but gating so many of them behind champions and Masteries sort of takes one grind and makes it a double-grind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the barriers to entry for raids? Mastery levels? We won't need to have agony infusion or whatever, will we

Supposedly there's no attunement, so there shouldn't strictly be any barrier to entry beyond being level 80 and having people who'll take you (and probably exotic gear at minimum). At least one boss definitely requires you to use a mastery during the fight (gliding), though.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I saw that the expansion dropped and thought about coming back to try it out after like 2 years of not playing, but is there really no way to buy it without rebuying the core game in a bundle? :psyduck:

I have a very hard time believing any expansion is worth $50, and reading the last couple pages makes it sound like it's...kind of poo poo. Is there any talk of creating some way to purchase the standalone expansion? I had enough fun with the base game that I'd drop $25 on an expansion that added fun content, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay double that price for the privilege of having a second copy of a game I already bought.

The base game is now free, so yes, they're charging $50 straight-out for the expansion.

As for whether the expansion is poo poo... well, it looks like they added a lot of fun new content, then gated it behind a bunch of the grindy poo poo people didn't like in the first place.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ah, I guess that pricing makes slightly more sense, though it's kind of a kick in the nuts for anyone that actually had to buy the base game. You'd think they could whip up some easy "veteran" upgrade where if you bought / played it before it went F2P, you could get the expansion at a discount or something.

Ah well, between the price and the grindy stuff, sounds like I'm not missing out on anything. Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I agree that it would've been nice to have a reduced price for HoT if you'd already purchased the base game. People definitely raised a huge stink about it when it was announced and then I guess we all just kind of swallowed it anyway (myself included).

I'm personally not very motivated to play the expansion until either a) we figure out fast ways to take care of the grindy parts or b) ArenaNet eases back on the grindy parts. We'll see! :v:

• Locked thread