Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Qtfy doesn't have WvW builds though, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Metabattle is definitely outdated, but I think that's all there really is out there as far as a WvW build resource is concerned. There was a Reddit thread about WvW builds too, recently, aimed at helping people who are new to WvW but want to get into it, with a few suggestions and I think links to the Metabattle builds that are still relevant.

As far as I know, the overall, generic WvW build advice is:

- Don't go glass cannon.
- Learn how your profession can provide group support and build for it (while also building for personal survivability).
- Staff Elementalist isn't as good at zerg damage as you might expect.
- If all else fails, be a Guardian, grab a staff, tag everything, and roll around in loot.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Ele is still really useful, you just can't expect to wear full Berserker and not get blown up. Tempests make amazing healers in WvW while still contributing some damage, and that works well with both dagger+focus or warhorn, or staff. You might be able to get away with being artillery full-time if you're really good or the rest of your group is good at keeping you alive, though.

Incidentally, I've basically stopped playing my Mesmer entirely after realizing that Tempest is a whole ton of fun. I wrote it off for a while because I thought it was a really boring elite spec at first glance, but overloads are fantastic and Elementalist itself is already amazing, so I'm pretty much all-in on Ele now. God I love this profession.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 5, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was trying to decide which alt I wanted to do HoT and specialization for next, after my engy and guard, and I'm caught between necro and ele right now. Tempest just looks so good so I'm tempted as poo poo...

I can't recommend Tempest highly enough. It really brought the fun back into my GW2-playing. When I feel like putting in effort, I get to zip all over the place and throw out a bunch of damage and support in all my attunements. When I feel like being lazy, I just flip between fire and air attunements overloading and either turning into a fire tornado or nuking huge groups of enemies with lightning while my character yells "LIGHTNING BOLT!"

Tempest owns

If they'd managed to make the Tempest's new weapon and utility skills keep with the "overflowing elemental power" feeling that the overloads have it'd be a perfect elite spec. Then again, warhorn and shouts are actually useful and fun so even though they kind of feel dissonant with the spec's overall theme, I do like using them. It's like Tempest is two halves of two different elite specs stapled together, but both halves are fun and good so it somehow manages to be fun and good anyway.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 5, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of raids:

It looks like condi Tempest is favored over power Tempest right now. What I have at the moment is a couple of ascended Berserker weapons and a full set of ascended Berserker trinkets/backpiece. If I want to get into raiding on my Ele, should I be working on Viper's stuff, or is power Tempest still okay?

Side question: if I do switch to condi, is it true that I might as well just skip straight to ascended Viper's gear? I've read that making exotic Viper armor is expensive enough that you might as well just make ascended stuff right off the bat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dad on the rag posted:

Condi is the flavor of the month for most raid encounters. You get a box of exotic armor from a HoT story instance I believe. So theoretically you could not spend any gold and just do the story six times or whatever for the armor.

I don't have six characters at 80, unfortunately, so doing the story all the way up to Bitter Harvest six times would probably take longer than just crafting it.

I might just sit out raiding for a bit, then. As it is, I'm gonna need a totally separate set of gear if I want to WvW, too, and naturally none of the useful stat combinations are things I can just buy :v: Ele just has to want Minstrel and Viper's for everything other than open-world stuff, huh?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm definitely not about to destroy my Zerk gear! I know condi Tempest isn't exactly great in the open world so if nothing else, I need to hang on to my Zerk gear for that. I'll be building up a separate set for WvW and/or raiding, depending on which I'd rather jump into now rather than later.

Thanks for the advice, though.

It's sort of amusing to me just how much the meta has changed towards the newer stat combinations--like it seems like Berserker is the only one of the older tri-stat sets that people still like. Everything else is either Viper's (for any PvE condi build) or, in WvW, Marauder's, Minstrel's, or things like that, and all of those only come on soulbound or account-bound items. It's like ArenaNet hated that people were just buying their level 80 exotic gear on the trading post or something, I dunno. What's a good alternative to Minstrel's for a WvW Elementalist build that I can use while crafting a Minstrel set?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Would necro/reaper be a better plan for condi?

Long-term, probably. Thief and Ranger are amazing at condi, too, and that seems a lot more intentional (like AnacondaHL pointed out, condi Tempest works for only one specific reason, but it's so good that it's kinda dominating Elementalist raid build discussion right now).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't have the time or inclination for multiple alts, so was just looking for one more condi one, either necro or ele because I wanted a light armour class :)

also I really do not enjoy playing mesmer, it's likely because I am bad as h*ck

I'd say Necro is probably the better long-term bet for a good condi profession, though I think Tempest is just generally the more fun profession. (The rumor is that the new elite spec for Elementalist will be condi-based, but definitely don't make character decisions based on rumors, obviously.)

AnacondaHL posted:

Related question: which Amulets were removed from sPvP because of Tempests?

Cleric and Celestial, your preference. Celestial trinkets and some cheapass cleric armor and you're good to go.

Ha, I had no idea that's why those were removed. Cheap Cleric armor and Celestial trinkets sounds good to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would love to join the late night SFD raids but I am an old man who lives in the Central time zone and will definitely be in bed by the time you start. It sounds like a real good time, though. I do want to try raiding at some point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

I've been out of GW2 for a while, what are the rumors of the next expansion?

I really hope its a more traditional landscape cause I could never really get into the multi-level of HoT.

Elona, wide-open desert zones, another elite spec for each profession, also mounts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Depending on what time you raid, I'd be interested in joining up. I can't join the SFD one because it's way too late on a work night for me, unfortunately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I hope the next expansion has a soundtrack as good as Heart of Thorns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-fee1rP48I

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The inflated total stat values on Celestial is strong in PvP for classes like Guardian and Elementalist who have good access to incidental conditions and healing, especially with lots of Might stacks since you double dip it with hybrid damage setups. It was strong enough in general that they had to take it out of sPvP because it was loving everything up, along with all the 'more defensive stats than not' amulets.

This reminds me I should put together a Celestial set for my Elementalist in WvW. Maybe not ideal for an auramancer build but probably pretty fun to roll with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Atari teenager posted:

New Baby Raid team are gonna be held on Monday Nights 6pmEST/10pmUTC/12amEST (2hours before reset)
It's gonna be a 2-3h raid that accommodate people in these time zones East Coast/Europe

Unfortunately that time's a little early for me--I generally don't get home from work until an hour or two after that--but if that works for everyone else that's fine. I'm geared up enough for raiding already so if I'm free in time I'll gladly join in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Would this be available for not-so-well-geared characters? My warrior is at level 71, I can probably get him to 80 before next week's but I'm gonna have poo poo for gear.

You're really gonna need exotic gear for raids, I'm afraid. That said, it's not too tough to get full exotics, especially if you keep going with story content for a while.

You don't need full ascended, thankfully, because that's a serious investment, but exotic is pretty non-negotiable, especially with a group that doesn't know the raids yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ascended accessories are easy to get, either by buying them with laurels, guild commendations, or map currencies in the Living World season 3 maps. Ascended weapons are fairly expensive but will make the biggest impact on your effectiveness of any single piece of gear, so they're worth aiming for. Ascended armor is basically only for fractals--if you don't plan to do high-tier fractals, ascended armor is absolutely not something you should prioritize. And if you end up raiding, you'll have an easier time getting ascended armor, which is nice.

But yeah, don't stress about exotic gear. You'll get geared out in exotic stuff easily enough once you're 80. You might not be able to jump into raiding the moment you hit 80, but depending on how much you play, it won't be much longer after that. (Especially if you join a hero point train to get your elite spec unlocked in a couple hours.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really, both Warrior and Ranger are quite welcome in raid groups and you're going to need full exotic to really keep up with either, so I'd say stick with the character you enjoy the most. In both cases, you'd be there to do damage and to provide really helpful damage buffs to your team (Warriors with banners and the Phalanx Strength trait that lets you share any Might you get, Rangers with a passive crit buff, some Druid-specific damage buffs, and being able to heal).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just saw that rifle Thief

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the direction they're taking with mounts, giving them unique abilities rather than "run fast" and "fly."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

C'moooooon sword Ele

Also Mirage looks really cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh hell yeah, Weaver looks cool as hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, the Holosmith :eyepop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a fan of the "reveal things as close as possible to launch" approach, gotta say.

Welp, guess I'm hopping in to try Weaver, Mirage, and Holosmith next weekend, then. I really really really want to see how Weaver works and how you do the dual-attunement thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anarkii posted:

Was expecting Heart of Thorns to get bundled with this expansion. It's not.

I'm not too surprised, actually, given that GW2 isn't doing a linear progression from expansion to expansion. My guess is that, since you don't need anything from Heart of Thorns to play Path of Fire, they don't have too much incentive to bundle it. If you end up needing gliding, it's possible that'll be considered a Path of Fire mastery, too, or something like that.

Assuming they're not going to do a "you need X HoT masteries to progress in PoF" thing, I'd probably recommend that anyone who doesn't have HoT just jump into PoF if this is when they want to join. It's not quite as disconnected as GW1 expansions, granted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My Gimmick Name posted:

Looks like the post show has a lot more info, if you can handle 3 hours of wooden potatoes.

Sadly I'm at work and have no time to watch 3 hours of anything, but on the bright side, that also means I can just wait until it's done and I can just zip around the VoD for the things I care about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tyblazitar posted:

According to WP, Weaver has over 40 new skills including new skills for all the old weapons.

:eyepop:

So, okay, assuming the order of the elements doesn't matter (like, fire + air is the same as air + fire), that gives us, what, 6 mixed-element skills per weapon, right? Fire + water, fire + air, fire + earth, water + air, water + earth, air + earth. Even if we only count main-hand weapons (assuming that off-hands don't change what your mixed-element skill is), that's 24 new skills already. Then all the new sword skills (either 8 or 12, depending on if there are pure fire, water, air, and earth skills for the mixed slot or if it's always mixed) and a healing skill, probably 4 utility skills, and an elite skill, so yeah. A bit over 40 sounds about right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shockeh posted:

So, does Path of Fire include Heart of Thorns, or do I need to buy both?

If you want both, you'll need to buy both. That said, I think you'll probably only need to buy Heart of Thorns if you actually want to play Heart of Thorns, since there's no expansion-to-expansion progression.

I reserve the right to be wrong if it turns out you need gliding from HoT or something and they don't also give it to you pin Path of Fire, but I kinda doubt they'd do that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i have a feeling that gliding is going to work like it does in the main world map: nice but not specifically necessary

they're making a point to sell the expansions as separate entities (with a small discount if buying both together) so i have doubts that anything actually important is going to require stuff from HoT specifically

Yeah, that sounds about right. They could also have a new, PoF-specific gliding mastery that will provide you the basic ability to glide if you don't already have it from HoT, and then some new gliding things that are special for PoF areas. Though, mounts seem like they're probably going to be the big movement thing this time, so there wouldn't be much need for that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to see the Weaver gameplay but I'll have to wait for the VoD :smith:

Go RV! posted:

They said it was a stand-alone expansion, so I don't believe that there's going to be much overlap with gliding at all.

Like, I expect it to be completely separate systems. Though I do wonder if you can glide with mounts at all.

Yeah, the only thing I could think about would be leaping up with the rabbit mount, dismounting at the very top of the arc, and gliding to get farther than you could with gliding or mounts alone, but that might not be possible (like, you just might not be able to dismount mid-leap at all).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nessin posted:

Weird that Mesmer, Engineer, and Revenant didn't get a weapon announcement. I suppose Engineer's holoweapons may count but still seems kinda sucky considering I like Rev and Engi.

Axe, sword, and shortbow respectively. It's mentioned on the elite spec pages on the Path of Fire site.

Also I'm pretty sure Holosmith gets a sweet lightsaber skin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like Weaver is probably intended for condi damage and maybe tanking? It looks like it has a "barrier" mechanic and traits to make it tankier when holding a sword.

Not sure how I feel about that. I'm certainly not opposed to condi damage, but the good condi sets are so, so, so much more of a pain in the rear end to get than good power sets :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

They noted that since the new necro spec is condi focused, that reaper will be re-worked to be more power based. I wonder if the same may happen for ele. Also we have that new stat combo that had the top stat both power and condi damage. I'm going to be stashing LS3 currency until then with the hopes that those trinkets will be able to get that stat combo.

Tempest is already pretty power-focused, and I like Tempest a lot, so it makes sense that Weaver would be condi-focused. But Weaver also looks cool--it's just going to be a pain for me to switch over unless they add some sort of easily-available decent condi stat set.

People do run condi Tempests, but as far as I can tell that's more of a fluke than anything, and not really the way the spec was designed.

I really do like Tempest a lot so if it turns out I don't like Weaver, or just don't have the gear to play Weaver for a while, that's not exactly a disaster. I'm just being a little baby and wanting to play the new thing :v:

• Locked thread