Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I just want to be on the first page tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
But are raids good for the game?

Y / N ?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kessel posted:

with the new borderlands I expect even more maps to devolve into circle-capping karma train roundabouts

I'd expect that the dedicated wvw guilds will find upscale infested karma trains deliciously easy prey, and that stuff won't be quite as prevalent in real wvw.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

siddy posted:

Well, looks like I'm back to GW2 after a long hiatus.

Is there still a good GOON contingent playing WvW? I've noticed I've been kicked out of the guild and will be reapplying soon.

Dead game, ignore op, never updated.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RottenK posted:

thick leather sections are falling in price again

oh well, i'm used to losing all my gold to idiotic ventures

time to farm up some more for the next time i need to throw it all away by hopping on a price bubble too late :v:

Well, this is just the natural dip in price after the speculation fueled increase in price has calmed down, after people realize the prices arent' going up RIGHT NOW. The actual future economy changes that ANET was talking about haven't even happened, so prices mught climb again.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Tomorrow is going to be agony at the office, and I don't have my resistance gear set up. :aaaaa:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kessel posted:

Yes, it's a bog-standard bad luck insurance mechanic. Allowing players to accumulate the raid currency lets them purchase gear even if Colin doesn't smile down upon them.

I'd expect the shiniest of loots to be entirely luck based, still.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Why couldn't they at least use a fairly even mix of all the currencies? It feels like crystalline ore is used way more than everything else. I don't want to spend all eternity farming dragon's stand.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Omi no Kami posted:

I stopped playing just before Heart of Thorns came out, how essential is it on a scale from "meh" to "whee"? It seems like it's nearly worth it just for Mastery, but the pricetag kinda bugs me.

I'd say the thread title just about sums it up. It has good ideas, but the way they're implemented has a lot of people feeling down on the expansion overall. Lessee...

• The story is fairly well done, but short and small in scope. It's an upgrade over the old personal story though. Very similar to LS season 2 in presentation.
  • New maps are basically like Silverwastes. Each has a huge map wide event that everyone takes part in, with varying difficulty to complete. Not nearly as chill and exploration focused as core maps. Gliding is hella fun though.
  • Revenant (Herald) is cool and good in most game modes. Currently kinda OP in some places, even.
  • Elite Specializations for the most part are very good, to the point of power creep. Almost all classes are better off running their new spec in most game modes, aside from a few stinkers (Daredevil especially.)
  • Masteries are neat, but are very grindy in practice. They don't really feel that metroidvania, as much as they just lock a few map completion targets here an there, and some collections are locked behind them.
  • Legendary collections are cool when they work, but very expensive. They also have multiple issues with targets where you have to fail events, leading to some angry people.
  • Guild halls look nice, but are massively expensive and grindy to upgrade, as are their decorations.
  • Dungeons are hosed with their rewards slashed, nobody really does them anymore.
  • Fractals are hosed with their rewards slashed, and half of the planned features and fixes coming Soon (tm)!
  • The first released Raid wing is kinda fun if you're in to that sort of content, legit challenging compared to all previous PvE
  • New WvW maps are huge and kinda hated, seems like WvW is dead or dying on most tiers in EU. Dunno what is up in the US.
  • Dunno anything about sPvP, but they added more ESPORTS and leagues to it, I guess.

Did I miss anything?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Probad posted:

12 million experience total. SAB rewards no experience.

It is a Maguuma mastery track, so you get to do dragon's stand for the 765th time!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

fuccboi posted:

This game used to be good, but now, it's bad.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Yeah, what the hell is there supposed to be to explore in the halls? There might be some fairly pretty bits, but it's all non-interactive, static map.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So what new hot content is the gold maker of choice now?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I used to save mine, but then I saw how much ascended crafting costs in actually useful resources, like time and dignity.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rude. I never enjoyed HoT.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Only gemstore glider I have is the Lunar New Years one, because it has two dye channels. Makes it easy to actually customize it to fit most characters.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One theory I've heard along with he said she said rumors from employees at https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm is that their internal structure and project leadership isn't very well organized and it takes much longer to get simple projects done then people would like.

Which is why something seemingly simple like a raid LFG tab to not clutter the open-world lfg which probably should of been released alongside the raid is a multi-month ongoing project which gets responses like this from Colin when people were suggesting taking over the PvP LFG tab for raids.

One of the cons definitely seems correct:

"Chronic understaffing, unreasonably ambitious schedules and product development cycles. Steady increase in number and scope of projects, and in quality expectations, but no increase in staff."

Yeah, that's ANET.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

forkbucket posted:

I was gonna make a snarky comment about pvp being fixed with the next expansion, but there's a good chance they will have abandoned elite specs by then anyway

Well, we might get some really half-baked addition to the system, before they declare the whole system a failure, because nobody likes the half-baked addition!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ItBurns posted:

fractals for more money and variety?

Swamp

Swamp

Swamp

Swamp

Swamp

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 23, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Did you do any notable gold or gem transactions of some sort, like get gold gifted by someone? Could get a new account flagged as a kind of a money laundering account.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I got pretty much no reason to play this anymore. HoT changes killed EU WvW on the lower tiers, and I was in a dedicated WvW guild. I sure as hell won't be shovelling more money to Anet to try and find a WvW tier where poo poo isn't hosed, and who knows when the mysterious WvW overhaul will happen.

I'd love to try and stay positive, ANET is communicating poo poo right now, and I got better games to spend my hours on. :shrug:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Azazell0 posted:

I don't think they really care if you play or not, since you already paid. Their preferred market is the people who spend money at the gemstore (admittedly have done so myself too) and bake cupcakes for ANet regardless of what type of product they put out, so this is the demographic that gets most updates.

I mostly log on to chat with my guild friends. With the daily rewards I can even level my alt without doing anything. I guess my goal could be to finish my chronomancer specialization collection (it only needs the maxed Exalted mastery and I'm halfway on the 4/5 th tier) but I already crafted myself an ascended shield with far less hassle and the thought of grinding even more events brings me sad, even though it is pretty fast with various boosters.

And I don't really care if they care.

My point is more about HoT being poo poo if you're in to WvW.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Dreggon posted:

you mean ~Susan

DEIFIC ~Susan

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
WvW poo poo hasn't been working for a while. Because of course not.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Or they don't have enough competent people interested anymore, and brought em back

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Thank god. Maybe this'll help to revitalize mid/low-tier EU WvW. It used to be fun and not too blobby, but those tiers are all but dead now. First the matchups moved to just EB, and then slowly the game mode started dying, with people moving to higher tiers with bigger populations. We experienced a brief resurgence some months after launch, but it started dropping again after guilds started gaining access to banners and airship bombardments. Those effectively drove out smaller guilds and pug commanders/mobs, because they couldn't compete with bigger blob guilds with access to those tools. :(

malhavok posted:

What's the problem with the new maps?

Ideally any kind of PvP map (no matter the gametype or genre) should actually facilitiate player interaction, and the new borderlands failed at this. They don't have a single big glaring flaw, but a handful of them that kinda add up:
  • They're too large and getting to places takes too long, especially when respawning. It's very hard to respond to sieges fast if you don't have teleports active, etc.
  • This issue is also compounded by the laser cannon event in the middle, which takes huge chunks of gate health if activated. Defenders that aren't already close are going to have serious issues defending in time. And while the event isn't active, the middle is useless dead space, just like the ruins used to be in Alpine.
  • The map is also a bit too focused on verticality, with too much geometrical complexity. Both normal navigation and meeting with enemy groups is often interrupted by cliffs you can't navigate easily. The walls that block roamers (but not larger groups) also punishes roamers for no clear reason.

Things may be very different in the tier 1-2 servers, but for mid and low tier servers WvW is all but dead. :shrug:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 31, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

malhavok posted:

How cheap is cheap? i thought those things were worth multiple thousands of gold.

Sell listing seems to have dropped to like 640g as of now

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Looks like the sell listings have gone up from some 30-40 shields in January to 150+ listed now. This is weird. I wonder if some super rich hoarder decided to flood the market.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Miftan posted:

I'm just getting into this game for the first time. Should I get heart of thorns right off the bat? Also, I have never played any guild wars and I'm a massive lore buff, is there anything that is important that won't be covered as I progress through the game?

No and no, I'd say. You might as well enjoy the very large quantity of F2P content first, and see do you still crave more once you've reached the level cap. You can't really do any of the Hot stuff before that anyways.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
This patch looks really good. Like really good. They really needed to show that they're listening to feedback at large, and I feel this patch delivers.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Illuyankas posted:

No joke, a storyline where the charr seriously consider using Searing Cauldrons again to fight the dragons and the humans having some strong opinions on it would actually be pretty sweet

This would be a bit too nuanced to be GW2 writing.

You'd have one charr go "No, flame legion bad!", an asura being fascinated by the idea while spouting magicbabble, a norn being frustrated because they can't hit things, a sylvari who is still the main character of the story for no reason, and finally a human who is just there.

Take your picks on which character represents what race, and add a healthy dose of bland.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I was at what seemed to be the major reveal of the first episode, literally waiting behind a door. Then the servers crapped themselves.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So I've been kinda getting the itch to play this game again, after taking a break post-HoT. There was no new content coming out after the expac, but looks like there's been a fair amount of updates in the past year or so.

I can easily check out the living story chapters, and the associated maps and content in them, but has there been any other noteworthy incidental content added? Something a bit less obvious than "OH HEY HERE IS A NEW ZONE"

The official wiki isn't idea for looking for stuff like this

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The heck happened to leather prices during the last year? Did they tweak some crafting recipies to heavily demand leather?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

AnacondaHL posted:

No. They tweaked the recipies AND lowered the drop rate AND lowered the salvage rate.

Everyone knew it was dumb, sure nuff, it is still dumb.

Lovely. I wanted to finally give condi builds a proper go, but exotic Viper's costs like 120 gold worth of mats.

God drat it Anet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WontGetFooledAgain posted:

So I decided to hop into this game from after barely playing it, used one of those birthday boosters to get to level 30 and now just exploring around. Are there any active goon guilds and is crafting important? Can I get most of what I need from just running around?

Read the OP for guild stuff.

Crafting isn't really important while levelling. You can get some decent gear from it, but you can keep up with content just fine by buying new stuff from Heart/Karma merchants while you level. Crafting gets way more important at 80. You'll get materials from normal play, but not really enough to delve deep in to crafting while levelling.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Auric Basin is cool and good.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
If you do enough WvW, you can also use Proofs of Heroics to pretty much instantly max out Hero Points.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Pierson posted:

Gonna admit this one flew over my head. Does being 30 give you free Black Lion keys or something?

It gives you enough levels to go do the personal story steps that reward keys. If you can stomache circa 2012 personal story, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Inzombiac posted:

It's wild to think of how old this game is yet there are still tons of people playing it.

It's almost like their core concept of no subscription model + accessible non-poopsock gameplay works.

• Locked thread