Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

J3ng4 posted:

Apparently CoF farm is legit (and boring):

https://twitter.com/Shazbawt/status/658092329962573824

It also apparently doesn't matter because just doing world completion with boosts is just as fast. Grind however you want to get the Central Tyria masteries.

That tweet doesn't mean they won't nerf it, only that they won't ban you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

treizebee posted:

I think the growing consensus is to buy the Maguuma Heroic since the overall cost is the same, but you can avoid having to find a train for the challenges.

It might be worthwhile to get the easy maguuma hero points before since it unlocks random ones.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

All this talk of doing WvW for hero points is giving me some hope that maybe I'll unlock Chronomancer fully this week. I think I need like 180ish Hero Points now (I used my world completion ones plus a couple of challenges in Verdant Brink so far). How long do you all think that'd take to get in WvW?

I think once I get Chronomancer unlocked and ArenaNet figures out whatever's going on with low player numbers in the HoT maps I'll finally start having fun with this expansion.

I did like an hour unboosted earlier and got 26.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I never got the impression it was meant to be cheaper. Just guaranteed and doable in small increments. Overall it's still a better system.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
An hour for ten hps seems pretty low.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

ItBurns posted:

I agree. This is definitely the case if WvW is really that slow. I got like 70 points for my scrapper solo in like 2 hours including a few where I had to solo the champs because nobody showed up to help. The Dulfy guides make it really clear what to do (if you want to spoil it) so it's much faster to get points now if you were tripped up by the maps or mechanics previously.

I'm going to try the trick with alacrity on the bacon one now that I have my chrono almost done if I can find a few brave dentists willing to be my guinea pigs.

It might be because i had like 100 bonus chests but i got 26 hps in an hour of edge of the mists. 10 per hour is pretty slow, though it might be worth it when you are down to the hardest points left.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

I'm on Yaks Bend, can I do cross server groups? Never really did groups in this game besides my friends.

Server doesn't affect anything besides wuvwuv.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

New demon race is looking pretty slick.

(without wings edited in)

Speaking of pretty princesses, is there a list somewhere of the new equipment/armor that got added in the expansion? I was hoping it'd be like other MMOs with a whole boatload of new stuff to play dress-up with but it seems like there are only a couple of new things :(

There is two new full armor sets per armor weight (three for heavy if you count the revenant set), plus the random armor and weapon pieces from the elite spec unlocks.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about the new weapon skins I saw on zone vendors, like the Auric? Aural? set, or whatever it's called, I don't remember

I think there is two weapon sets to match the armor also.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

ItBurns posted:

How did you manage to hit 80 and not get any hero points?

Tomes? how do people level? You mean you actually go around killing stuff like some sort of peon?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

So it'll be a little while before I actually can check for myself, can someone post a screen of the dragonhunter gauntlets? I feel like the glove slot's been the hardest to fill on my guardian's ensemble.

edit: Re: zone completion, I try to do all the waypoints the first pass through but everything else I'll leave behind for later as I level.

Edit: the glow is from the revenant, not from the gauntlets.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kind of wish they would add glider skins for all the backpacks. The ghoul backpack could extend its arms and flap, the blades and karka could spin like a helicopter, the winters day toy pack could fart snow flakes like a Santa jet pack.

The jetpack could be an actual jetpack.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Yay! well i already did my thief and guardian, but they had world completition, everyone else was starting from zero.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

You joke, but they actually are refunding any points you spent past 250.

(I also unironically think it would be a good idea to give us something to do with hero points once we unlock everything. Then again, maybe that "something to do" will be "unlock the next elite spec in the next expansion a little faster," who knows.)

Well it honestly would be kinda lovely if they didn't, that would leave you permanently 150 points short.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

I'm annoyed with the whole Bladed coat now. They should just award it to people who finish T4 Verdant brink, but instead they gate it behind RNG again. I mean, come on. There are TWO new armor sets on a drat expansion pack. And the chestpiece is gated by random once again. They really changed their strategy from core where you could get all kinds of great sets just by playing the game.

Wait, how do you get the new chest armors?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

xZAOx posted:

So what was the dungeon nerf exactly?

I still aspire to do my legendary, and I know you need lots of gold as well as lots of dungeon-specific drops (depending on which legendary). Pre-expansion everyone said to just run dungeons to make gold, so I was planning on "two birds with one stone" when I got ready to do that step.

How much less gold do they give? Or do they still give decent gold if you're running them, just specific dumb farming techniques were nerfed or something?

From what i hear they give about a third of the gold they used, but you only need a few runs to get enough tokens for the legendary so that wasn't really going to make much of a dent anyways.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Rakeris posted:

Anyone have a reaper? If so how are they, been thinking about making a necro to try it out.

Pretty much feels like cheating. I'm sitting here reading all the complaints by people about hot stuff bring too hard while thinking "you mean you can't solo champ hps?". Also I just realized last night I was still wearing my pre order level 1 ring.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Aesis posted:

Finally got Reaper fully specced. I originally tomed Necro to 80 before expansion, then yesterday I spent some hours doing hero challenges in Verdant (10), Auric (8) and Tangled (7). Couldn't do the last one in Verdant (South West corner of the map) because it was bugged and wouldn't give hero points despite completing it 4 times :argh:

And yes Reaper owns even without traits to support. As soon as I got GS unlocked I've been using nothing but that, Gravedigger hits like a truck.

It's not the hero point that's bugged, its that it got switched on the map with a different one and they forgot to switch where the completed icon appears. The one you are missing is the one you glide to and commune near faren's wp.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The elite specs should have had full armor sets like the revenants got. That would have been awesome.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I can't find enough tendrils in tendril torcher to gold.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

So is the mistward armour only available to revenants? I like it, but rev wasn't really my thing.

Once you unlock the weapon skins you can use them on any other heavy class like any other armor.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

If you want a real lovely experience, do this, but crash during the very last boss phase, and receive no reward whatsoever, because the game makes no effort to keep track of your pre-crash progress. :argh:

Yeah if you are going to attempt this at all step one if turning all your settings down to the bare minimum. Step two is praying to the arena net gods you don't crash anyways. Step three is find a group and hope you can get back in your instance after crashing.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Monowhatever posted:

word of warning to all you goons who want to make one of the new stat set armors: a full set takes 1,200 flax seed so start saving it

I guess ill stick with berserker.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Since I dont have HoT i decided to spec some players in spvp to see what the elite specializations are like, as well as revenant. as far as revenant goes, what in the actual gently caress. Am I off base for thinking that they're incredibly overpowered?

Compared to who? Did you try chronomancer? Reaper? Scrapper? Dragonhunter?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lemon King posted:

Crit Reaper is so much fun. :black101:

And minion master reaper, and dhummfire reaper, and just reaper with nothing else really.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dragonhunter is so so so good. I know I've bitched about a number of other aspects of this expansion like the lack of casual friendliness (which I still think is justified to be ticked about) but Dragonhunter almost makes up for it. It's the most fun I've had since release, and I'm so god drat powerful. Dreggon got me into some sPvP the other night for the first time as this spec, and holy hell I absolutely wrecked everyone. The enemy team just started to sheepishly avoid me, I'm so powerful. I know it'll probably get nerfed but in the meantime oh my god is it fun.

So what's the bullshit dragonhunter build?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lonk posted:

Arenanet continues to not test anything ever. Remember, we can't have SAB now because it's "too buggy" but we can have HoT if we spend real money! Buy more gems dude.

You can only hit them from right on top of them.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They changed the champ hero point challenges to have a ten minute timer, that should make most of them soloable if a bit tedious as long as you have some basic sustain which every class has access to.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

tyblazitar posted:

Been glued to my computer ever since HoT launched, have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Spent the first few days getting to fractal level 100 (and maxing that mastery), and while complaints about boss HP are absolutely warranted (the first champ you fight on level 100 is a perfect example), I feel that they managed to mix things up enough with the instabilities to make it interesting and challenging.

Also did some pretty princessing, of course. First I updated the look of my Mesmer Chronomancer:

Then I made a new Engineer, and decided to go for some kind of post-apocalyptic gunslinger look which I'm pretty happy with:

And of course, I needed a Revenant Herald:

Those all look awesome, specially the chronomancer. What shield is that?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

Huntsman currently makes 3.9g per day from just making daily timer items. If you have anything that can make Damask then that's another 5.77g per day due to the ridiculous profit margin on Damask Patches right now.

e: Basically, now is a really good time to get 500 450 Huntsman or 500 Armorcrafting and print money, or just stockpile the mats because the prices are steadily going up from the legendary crafting demand.

e2: Armorcrafting and nothing else makes 8.4g per day right now, and that's if you buy all of your materials from sell orders, which you obviously shouldn't.

You also only need to hit 450 to refine ascended mats, except for damask patches which need 500.

All this just from doing the ascended time gated mats?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I acquired the Bladed Coat and my ranger has taken a serious turn for the anime

Where did the bladed coat come from?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Chronomancerette

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

Bit the bullet and grabbed HoT, Rev is amazing.

Are the items you need for the mistward collections guaranteed drops from the world bosses (i.e. does Shatterer always give you the glove plate)?

Not sure if i was just lucky but i got all of them on the first try, i would imagine they are guaranteed.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna hate Tangled Depths, aren't I?

Yeah, that place is horrible.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Totbot posted:

What does everything think the "easiest" class for HoT content is so far? My wife might be interested in playing again. She's only gotten to lvl 20 or so in the past, but I'm afraid that if she does get into the game this time around that she'd hit the HoT content and get frustrated by the difficulty spike.

I'm thinking Ranger since pet and bow always seem like a decent option for a more casual player doing world events. Plus, there is always the pokemon effect of gotta catch them all for pets. I don't play ranger, so I don't know how they've been in the new content.

I've had the easiest time with reaper and dragonhunter.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I never really bothered going for Black Lion Claim Ticket stuff from the chests. How rare is it to get a scrap? Is it sort of a "please don't buy gems to try to get ticket scraps" kind of situation?

I really want some of those Glittering weapons (less than I used to, now that I've seen the Ley Guard's Revolver, but I still need a nice Mesmer-y greatsword). The shield is nice, too.

I am also definitely going to get the Exalted glider skin because I have some gems sitting around anyway :v:

Easier to buy them with gold.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Solumin posted:

I'm quite possibly the only Reaper using this trait, and I can't tell if this is a buff or nerf or just a simplification. The base damage used to be 194 (290 if below 50% health) at level 80. The extra condi damage multiplier is nice though, that brings it up to +30 damage for every 100 condition damage -- that's nearly double the damage from burning, though Chill doesn't stack so whatever.

I like that trait too and i can't make heads or tails out of that either.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

to be fair, berserker is genuinely really lackluster to the point where no one is even caring to make builds for it

So like daredevil but without the rest of the class being awesome to make up for it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

DnT released their ~*~meta build~*~ guides for the new elite specs in PvE recently and the Chronomancer one just makes me giddy. The whole thing is just built around using Continuum Split and well spam to get ridiculous Quickness and Alacrity uptime for your group and that is everything I ever wanted to do with Chronomancer.

For all my complaints with HoT, Chronomancer just keeps pulling me back.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Roc posted:

Here is the full playlist for all the classes

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz0JN2v3KJMl2PZBkWd4S-Ui0iDlLSaZ9

edit: Watching some of these videos and I would say just wait for a text guide or something.

Not reaper :(

• Locked thread