Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
A big thing I've faced in the past with Guild Wars 2 would be WvW that boiled down to karma trains avoiding enemy teams completely. I remember specifically EotM evolved to be this exclusively. Will the expansion do anything to address this, or can I expect more conga lines with perma-sprints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

treizebee posted:

The best and most fun fights I've ever had in gw2 WvW happened in the OS puzzle during the 4 months after launch. People queued EBG not to fight in stonemist, but to get access to the OS portals. The borderland puzzles also had some great flashpoint fights.

But yeah that is true, the new borderlands took too many bad aspects from EOTM. :(

At launch it was definitely great, and for the months following. I lost interest in GW2 shortly after and left for a while, coming back only this year. I'm not on Maguuma currently - Yak's Bend actual although I played prior to the apparent T1 guilds transferring down to Yak's to inevitably bring it up into T1. Might have just hit a slow period and didn't give WvW enough time. I also did spend a good amount of time in EotM since someone somewhere told me I needed to hit rank 230 before I was useful in WvW and EotM was the way to go for fast leveling. I'm not a dedicated GW2 player by far, but I've burned out on PVE in any shape or form in MMOs and GW2 looks to be my best choice for fantasy-based large scale PvP.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

ijyt posted:

Sorry is no one going to comment on the freaky burnt husk child on that dragon spawns back?

I'm still distracted by all the generally clashing colors and outfit aesthetics of the character itself, but yeah, wtf is up with that? Lore plz.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I've decided, thanks to Verdant Brink, to name this game Jumping Puzzles Online, where I jump to unlock mastery points so I can unlock the ability to jump higher so I can unlock mastery points so I can jump farther.

Also, wyverns with frickin' laser beams is a thing.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

MooCowlian posted:

It seems like apart from the stupid grindy poo poo, people like it? I know PvP people who aren't grinding masteries are enjoying the elite specs and revenant, and most of the complaints are about said grinding rather than the content itself. I've heard nice things about the story too.

Story is good and they've got actually good cutscenes (using the in-game engine, like WoW, but still better than the talking panels of the base game) along with running companion dialog. The new adventures are very fun and good challenges, and the new content with gliding is also very fun (I don't like having to grind to use what I consider to be things that I shouldn't have to grind for (mushrooms, glider abilities) but I understand the need for said grind to keep people occupied and happy long-term).

The only real complaint I could have is that Verdant Brink is a real pain in the rear end mob-wise at night time when the map really doesn't have the player numbers to sustain all the invasions. Other than that very minor quibble, Heart of Thorns has vastly improved Guild Wars 2.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

mostly just fix the gates around Elites and Story content, and tune the mobs a bit so they don't practically require 5-man parties to grind effectively--but as of this writing it's really frustrating.

Are the zones just so gigantic that I don't see many other players, or is the whole megaserver thing not working in the new content zones?

I ask because I'm actually not seeing a lot of other players in the new zones, but I see a gently caress ton of them in, say, Queensdale.

It's an issue for the part that I quoted: it's not very fun being having only one to three other players anywhere near you when night hits and everything turns into a dungeon champion event battle.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I want to have my chronomancer and I want to enjoy the story but as I mentioned earlier, but more sardonically, the need to unlock basic means of navigation is retarded. It's a bad development move. There's gating content, and then there's this. This isn't gating content so much as simply being an rear end in a top hat. Give us an epic quest at the beginning of the zone that gradually introduces us to frog farting, let us play around with it a bit, and then make it default for everyone after finishing that quest.

I'm wondering if the reason why many of us are running into an issue of not finding enough players in these new zones is because a lot of folks put in a couple of hours, got frustrated, and decided to come back to it later.

I know I did, eventually.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

LordAdakos posted:

:boom: M-M-M-Monster Burn.

But seriously, thank you for the offer. I wasn't trying to offend you. Just gently poking fun. I've got nothing but love for you

To un-derail the thread ... How about those glider skins? Is the HoT skin too gaudy or not too gaudy enough?

I like my HoT skin. I don't consider it too gaudy or not gaudy enough; I think it fits well with the theme of the zones.

Of course, it doesn't match any of the outfits I typically like wearing on my very much gaudy mesmer, so I'm going to have to go fashion shopping to fix that.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

Should I be completing maps as I level or just moving on as I outlevel hearts? My norn necromancer's at 17 I think, in the second norn zone after 100%ing the first one.

It's up to you, in my opinion. When I leveled my characters I just moved on to the new zones, but there are benefits to completing maps (reward chest box, won't have to go back when you feel like getting your map meta, etc) if you don't mind putting up with jumping puzzles and what not. I found trying to get all the vistas while leveling negatively affected my XP efficiency so I didn't do them, but I'm generally terrible at jumping puzzles and platforming so the same may not apply to you.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

treizebee posted:

You were so eager to tell us. :3:

For those at work :
The recap is fewer required hero points, refined adventure minigames, and fixed a setting that caused low player population in the new zones

That announcement fixes every complaint I had with the expansion, and in the first week no less.

That's drat unprecedented in MMO-land these days.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I just want to say a personal gently caress you to the veteran mushroom that always happens to pop up right when I'm crossing a very certain narrow bridge in Verdant Brink. gently caress you and your knockback that sends me falling, falling, falling.

I haven't died to you yet, and I never will, but it makes me have to press buttons outside of autorun when I'm drunk, and that is too much work.

On another note, I'm really enjoying the chronomancer. I haven't unlocked much of it yet, but the one hand sword combined with the shield makes me feel like a proper tank even with full berserker gear. The wells are also really cool, and add a new dimension (the whole "time" thing) to my mesmer that makes me love my mesmer even more. I didn't know that was possible, but it is.

At this rate, I may not actually end up playing any of my other classes, and I think I'm okay with this level of obsession.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I've been encouraged to finally roll a necromancer due to all the minion masters I've seen running around of late. MM was my favorite from the first Guild Wars, and I'm hoping this recent popularity is a sign of viability for dungeons/fractals.

I'm torn about what specialization I should work on next after Chronomancer. I can either move to my warrior or my ranger, but map chat has had a lot of bitching about the druid and bezerker and a lot of praise for the herald, so perhaps the thing to do is level my Revenant?

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I certainly hope that's not true because that's beyond retarded. I hope that's a bug, not an intended feature; otherwise that's a very cruel way to try to force constant activity in-game for guilds/players.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Heres an idea, instead of getting mad at videogames, put on some chill music and click your buttons at red dudes

If only we had Bob Ross in perpetuity, we could suggest to players that they chill with the Ross and beat that devil out of the red dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Have you seen other people being show offs or being rude to people about their mastery points? I haven't, but I don't actually notice other people's numbers unless they're ridiculously high. Making fun of someone for having less masteries makes about as much sense as making fun of them for being a lower level. There is no real reason to actually have the numbers be public though, especially if some people don't like it.

I've seen it a couple times so far. Also, have you played World of Warcraft? Because that's a very good example of how people love to use numbers to make fun of other people (yes the whole game. just starting out in arena? get your arena score made fun of. Not level 100 yet? what's wrong with you, scrub? not item level 9001? lol what a baddie. don't have 31,000 achievement points? what are you a casual?).

Stepping onto my cynical soap box for a bit, it's human nature to do that, and it's going to eventually have a bearing on pick up groups like a form of gearscore check. Not that I'm doom and glooming here; just pointing out that something doesn't have to make sense to be used as a means of belittling someone else.

• Locked thread