Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I totally get it, timezones suck. I don't expect you to stay up late, even one weeknight would be awesome, I could bring an alt which I'd really like to do! Could we do Thursday this week? Don't want to steal your evening tonight and WvWednesday is tomorrow. Merc is aussie time so he's been fantastic at doing late night ones for us Pacific time people, drat work.

Thanks dude!

I can totally do a half train tonight if you want, and Thursday too! In fact, that'd be fine most weeknights. I could do a Su/M/T/Th half train rotation at 8 PST if that works for you going forward. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I see that femsalad revenants are popular.

Here's mine (now a herald):

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey goons, due to some scheduling requests, tonight's VB/AB HP train will take place an hour and a half after reset, at 8:30 PM EST/5:30 PM PST.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey goons, no HP trains from me tonight. My computer went pop this morning and won't turn on. I expect it's the PSU, and I'm about to order one overnighted, but won't even be able to determine if that's the only thing wrong until tomorrow evening. :(

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

Oh dear. The PSU frying could have fried other computer parts. :(
Never cheap out on the PSU goons! Hopefully it didn't fry anything if it is the culprit.

It was a SeaSonic X650 Gold, literally the polar opposite of a cheap PSU. :mad:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Welp.

It wasn't just the PSU. :sigh:

Time to order a new mobo, CPU, and RAM and hope I can get it to POST and the drives and GPU are alright. See you guys in a while I guess. :sadwave:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh no, do you know what caused this?

Well, when I pulled the PSU out, it was rattling. Shook it around a bit and a decent-sized chunk of solder fell out. Whether that was the proximate cause of a short or merely blown off of something else blowing up, I couldn't say.

I think it only burned out one of the rails, one of the LEDs on the motherboard still lights when it's hooked up, but it absolutely will not turn on.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

OneEightHundred posted:

Go on Craigslist and buy a used machine from some college student, it costs like half as much and it's (more?) guaranteed to work.

Just make sure you wipe the hard drives and clean install the OS to get rid of the inevitable malware infestation.

LOL, gently caress no. It's Skylake time!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pray for my 970 and drives, goons. I really don't want this computer death to run up into the $1k+ range. :pray:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Illuyankas posted:

The only noob indicator worth a drat is if they haven't changed their pet's names from the default

:agreed:

Edit: I kinda want to take my second ranger and rename his pets a very slight misspelling of the default names just to gently caress with people. Or swap it with a default name of the same type but different species and see if anyone catches it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ItBurns posted:

Same. The only grindy/unfun thing for me other than crashing was having to specifically get more Ley Line Crystals in TD, but that just consisted of me doing 2 events and then afking for tier rewards.

FYI there's a vendor in the guild hall marketplace after an upgrade or two that sells bags of 10 ley line crystals for a whopping one guild commendation each.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm wondering what high-level masteries are required for map completion. I legitimately don't know! I've only run the first chapter of the HoT story, and a bunch of HP trains in verdant and auric. I've explored a good amount of TD, and barely walked into DS. In that time I've seen like one spot locked by wallows (in NE auric, which has an HP challenge, POI, and vista), and the chak area in the lower NW of TD that needs poison mastery for I think a mastery point?

Pretty much everything else in the maps seems accessible with stuff in the first two tiers of the HoT masteries (which includes wallows, now that I think of it).

I understand the frustration of having "what you want to play" locked behind high-level masteries, but unless "what you want to play" is finding invisible mushrooms or challenging exalted champs or maybe getting slightly better results on an adventure with speed boost shrooms in it, I don't really see much if any core HoT content locked behind high-level masteries. Just some of the stuff to complete the advanced versions of the elite spec weapons.

I think that honestly the biggest problem is that you need to replay much of the content to fully unlock the mastery progression system. That isn't a problem with the core leveling experience. Just completing like half the content in Central Tyria would be enough to get you to level 80, with all the base spec lines and skills fully unlocked. That's not the case in HoT, even fully completing all the content there won't get you to maxed HoT mastery. On the other hand, since mastery is account-wide, it does provide an incentive to play through stuff again with alts rather than just let them languish in the character select screen...

I don't know, it's kind of a thorny problem, without clear answers. I am of the opinion that about a 30% reduction in mastery XP required for each rank would feel more in line with the other progression systems in the game.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

No Pants posted:

Drytop, Southsun, and Silverwastes rewards were added in the expansion patch.

I made about 50g off of zone rewards on my alts last night (most had southsun, like 3-4 had drytop, one had SW), along with a boatload of ectos/dark ectos/mats/curriencies, and 1.5 BL tickets.

Southsun in particular is super fast to clear and has great rewards.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

Odd. No one else misses it. Although the krait tower was pretty cool.

The original Molten Facility was by far the best dungeon Anet has ever made.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dunno, I still do goomteq just about every day, and Slaw Facts is sorely missed there. As a bonus, the new squad system makes taxiing much easier. The guild hall is also cool and good, if a gigantic gold sink.

Personally, my favorite bits of the new zones is just exploring them. There's SO MUCH stuff packed into them, and very little hidden beyond more than updrafts. I haven't spent much time in Dragon's Stand though, since pretty much that entire map seems to be about the meta, with about a third of it locked behind it in some way or another.

I mean, it's weeks since launch, and I'm still finding events I haven't seen before in Verdant Brink! I guess my only real suggestion is... Take it easy? Play some events if you want, do some exploring if you want, if that gets dull, go do some base game content and get to know one of your elite specs better?

I dunno, I'm pretty much doing what I did before the expansion just with some more zones tossed in. Not feeling like I have to complete/see all the new content right away goes a long way to avoid burnout from rushing through it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think you're being a bit unfair/dismissive to the legit concerns and frustrations, "burnout" isn't why people are pissed and disappointed and not playing. at all. And "go play base content" that we've been doing for 3 years isn't a good suggestion.

I'm not dismissing them at all, I understand people's frustrations, I just don't share them. I'm just sharing my experience and what I like to do. Not everything is about you, man. People liking things you don't shouldn't be taken as some sort of personal affront against your tastes or something.

Basically, what I'm saying is lighten up a bit, you seem to be taking anyone disagreeing with you about HoT really personally, as if those of us who enjoy it for the most part so far should just stop having fun because you aren't.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mods gas this lovely thread plz

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

you look like a fat darth maul cosplay gleefully taking a poo poo

That alt's name is literally "Fat Darth Maul" (yw illu), so mission accomplished I guess! :haw:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I keep trying to princess my thief to match birdstaff but the neon blue bits are at war with my inclination towards neutral tones :saddowns:

Lori's due for a refresh anyway.

Just never change Clockwork Chickadee's look, she's perfect (even if you never play her). :swoon:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

That thing is waaaaaay cooler in person than the previews or screenshots would lead you to believe.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I only remember the Halloween moba mode being in the first Halloween. At least they brought back the cool CTF snowball fight during wintersday the last couple years.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I think they actually hired like one or two, the rest is people actually taking a joke Cletus posted at face value for some reason.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Illuyankas posted:

incidentally enameled emblaze continues to own

Literally the best dye

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yeah, going to character select doesn't seem to make the process any more robust. It's just logging out to the launcher and then exiting that that seems to make settings get saved.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Lordshmee posted:

I did, but I figure most people have been there, done that so I thought I'd cast the alt net.

A lot of people have alts they've tomed up to 80, so even a lot of 80s need to work on map completion! (I have like 3)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Inzombiac posted:

poo poo, gliding in all areas will totally make me play this every day.

Hope you saved some central Tyria mastery points!

(I didn't :smithicide: )

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

quote:

Shared Inventory Slots are now available starting at 700 gems each in the Upgrade category of the Gem Store. These slots will allow an item placed in them to be accessible by any character on the account. These slots will appear at the top of your inventory once purchased. Each account can have up to 5 Shared Inventory Slots at this time.

Oh my god, a home for my copper-fed

:homebrew:

Edit: yeah, it's kind of a steep price, but that's literally the only thing I wish every character had access to (gathering tools are too much of a hassle to remember to unequip and move around).

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 12, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

It's me, the old guy with too much disposable income. I mean, I bought two more character slots when they were on sale because they were on sale you guys!!!

:smith:

Edit: ^^^^^ yessssssssss

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

lmbo

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

mike12345 posted:

Is that update live? Because I did Shat earlier today, and it felt way shorter than usual. maybe more deeps, dunno

Shat update is coming in the update on the 26th.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Love finding these random little tucked away areas in the GH :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I did it goons

I found peak pubbie

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The answer is probably ley lines or something

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Libertine posted:

I just hit 80 on my Revenant last night and I'm not sure what I should do now? I've only ever had one other 80, and I barely did anything endgame related on him in original GW2. So I've mostly only ever leveled random characters in this game. I guess I'm just pretty bad and confused. I bought all Level 80 equipment on the Trading Post. I'm planning on maxing out my trade skills, finishing my Tyria living story, etc. standard straight-forward stuff.

Don't worry about maxing crafting professions unless you really want to make ascended armor/weapons. They're huge gold sinks and aside from the previously-mentioned ascended usage only really useful for turning gold into XP. If you haven't unlocked masteries yet then that XP is entirely wasted, so wait until you do the very first HoT story step before you do much else.

quote:

Obviously I need to get a lot of points for Herald spec. Is it easier to do that in old world Tyria via map completion? (I'm assuming yes).

lol no. HoT HP challenges give you 10 points per and a lot are soloable, where Tyria maps have maybe 7-10 HP on them, total.

quote:

My main issue is that I'm not really sure how to start the HoT content? I went to Silverwastes and there was a lot of stuff going on but it wasn't really designed like other zones and I'm not sure entirely what my goal should be, just roam around and kill stuff? I also went to the Guild Hall and then out a side door to get to some of the central content and promptly got destroyed by something that looked like a prehistoric land shark. So I figured I should probably progress in whatever order the story follows.

Eh, you can get to the HoT zones pretty easily. Just run along the southern edge of the Silverwastes until you pass Amber Sandfall (SW fort), there'll be a door in the rock face that'll take you right to Verdant Brink, the first HoT zone. Do the first story step and then start leveling gliding mastery (if you have any of the +50% XP from all sources boosters, now is the time to use one). Once you get basic gliding, you have access to like 170 (or more!) HP in HoT.

quote:

I've never run any of the dungeons or fractals so I should probably try to find some groups to run for those.

Those are all fun, especially the first few times.

quote:

I guess my issue is that there's a lot of core systems the game runs on that I haven't really thought about or been able to approach other than just straight-forward solo leveling. My bank is literally full of random coins and keys and stuff for poo poo I have no idea what it is for.

Are you in a goon guild? If not, join a goon guild, or even both. Details in the OP are up-to-date. Guild chat will be one of the better places for more detailed questions.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We've missed you! I think a lot of GOON leadership is taking it easy right now, though. I know Tricks and I are, Schpyder is the only truly active member of the Sinister Triad atm :v:

Not as active as I'd like, but that's more due to putting in about 34 hours at work since Saturday. And I even had Sunday off! :suicide:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ItBurns posted:

No troll the krait/nightmare court that you had to stomp were super cool.

Also bring back rollerbeetles.

:agreed:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hawk wings own, outfits are ooooooogly

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey gooms, I just got another alt up to 80, so you know what that means. It's HoT HP train time! I'd like to get as productive a one going as possible, so please let me know what time would work best for you all. I'm thinking maybe like 9 PM EST tomorrow or Wednesday?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Thoughts on patch notes:

Ele: barely play either, no idea how changes will effect open world PvE, guess is not much. Looks to be a significant shakeup to PvP/raid functionality? Fresh Air buff owns.

Engie: slight buffs for lovely traits for base engie, scrapper has stealth gyro nerfed, guessing these are all PvP/raid focused again.

Guard: some nice buffs to base guard skills/traits. DH traps with some minor nerfs. Overall probably a net positive.

Mes: a wash on base skills/traits, maybe a bit negative with chaos armor losing blind. Chrono is effectively dead for raids, but basically nothing here changes my playstyle for my mesmers. RIP anyone who plays them seriously, tho.

Necro: all buffs, reaper supremacy forever.

Ranger: all buffs, mostly mediocre, shouts might actually be viable now? No Druid updates? Seriously?

Rev: RIP rev sword. RIP constant 3x 20k CoR crits on teq. Still a great tagging skill, will probably still use hammer/staff on my 80 rev for open world.

Thief: melee damage buffs for sword and staff. The rest: :shrug:

Warrior: RIP burnzerker. Mega axe/axe buffs :black101: Time to pull Salsa out of storage. Hammer/rifle buffs as well? Still not enough to shift the GS meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Okay gooms, consensus for the HoT HP train seems to be 9PM EST tonight works for most people!

As with most group things that I run, I'll form a squad shortly beforehand, just /sqjoin Fat Hobo around 9 and we'll train when everyone shows up. I'll also notify in gchat around that time, and ask a helpful dual-guildie to notify SFD as well.

Also, on the way home I wound up behind this guy, and immediately thought of you doofs:

• Locked thread