Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jerkops posted:

The expansion's already been on sale on Amazon and probably a few other places for ~$25, just gotta keep your eyes peeled

I still haven't bought or preordered HoT. Nothing has really grabbed me, not for the price of the expansion at least. Maybe I just need another break

Unlikely for those reading this thread but I wonder if I'm the only one here who logs in (when I remember to) for the chest, has a pang of ennui and logs out again immediately after

This what I'm doing as well. I figure I'll get back into it and consider buying the expansion around the time they make good on bringing SAB back, or after the inevitable zillion patches that attempt to balance the "elite" specializations. Really don't want to get caught up in the see-saw balance poo poo-show that's about to get 10 times worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
After months of not playing due to the whole HoT debacle, I logged in to do the Christmas quests and noticed I had a black lion chest key. Opened it and to my surprise got a Permanent Hair Stylist Contract! Not sure what I'm going to do with this cause I don't even have the gold for the AH listing fees. Apparently people will buy these for up to $100 on mmo trading sites but that seems kind of insane.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mizuti posted:

If you don't want to keep it, then I'd be happy to buy it. No listing fees, and the trading post wouldn't take a cut. Interested in making a deal?

Sure, I just PMed you my game details and such.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm starting to think that ANet has actual contempt for the players, what with the "double click 10000 holiday drinks and foods" thing.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I wonder if, when WoW finally mostly peters out, anything like that will even be possible with mmos again. Blizzard was in kind of a unique situation with the mmo market at the time, and when I played it was was just glad to get away from the horrible grind and mechanics in Everquest like losing exp on death and having to run naked back to your corpse, even if it was stuck in a zone that only a wizard could teleport anyone to. Or if it was stuck in a zone that required you to personally farm about a dozen keys to progress, and when you died all those keys were still on your corpse, behind all those doors. (The reason I quit EQ, heh)

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 23, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Did they ever release any other gem store gathering tools that give something extra like the Clockwork Mining Pick gives sprockets or are there any versions of the other tools that are better in some way than the others? I heard there's an herb gathering tool that finishes much faster than the normal one, but I'd rather get one that gives extra stuff if possible.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Anyone have an estimated time until HoT is 10 bucks (the true value of expansion) ? ?

I don't get why they don't allow buying it with gems* either. it's not like they're not getting money one way or another.

*(exactly 1000 gems)

I guess someone could spend their entire life grinding out achievement points and then waiting until enough achievement points exist to get enough to buy it at the current price, but yeah.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 17, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i get that anet's whole (unintentional) gimmick is they have absolutely amazing ideas and then get tripped up in the implementation.

I think it was more that they wanted to rake in as many HoT purchases as possible, and figured the best way to do that was to obsolete the old content and force the expansion purchase as much as they could. You might also notice that unless you have HoT (and therefore unlocked masteries), gaining a level 80 now does literally nothing but refill your health bar. There are no skill points to gain or spend anymore, as they replaced them with completely different systems. There was talk about having the masteries of the original Tyria world available to everybody, but welp to that.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The only thing they need to do to fix dungeons is fix the reward values and remove the full screen "story" popups, or at least put in an option.

They're not fun in the same way that using internet explorer without adblock isn't fun.

And the whole abandonment of old content to work on the expansion thing is one of the primary reasons I never bought the expansion in the first place. The whole super adventure box april fools joke has now turned into a nearly year long joke that doesn't reflect well on the company.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 8, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Your action bar completely disappearing when you're on the water's surface is still one of the dumbest deliberate decisions I've seen in any game of any genre. I'm sure they did it because they didn't think the animations looked proper, but I'd rather have a functioning game.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They should leave SAB in because it's more fun than the main game.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There's only 2 worlds in SAB? I beat the thunder dragon guy and was already to do the next two worlds later on, since you know, there's extra parts of the map and two more houses already there.

I guess we can never hope it will be finished now that they're full steam ahead on selling overpriced mini-expansions to everyone who got the base game for free and then not even bothering to finish that either.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I liked the original deal where you'd get sent to a number of different fractal areas at random cause it fit the sort of "Quantum Leap" theme better, but yeah most of them are just too long since you often end up doing the same one over and over and whatever random elements they have aren't enough to make up for the length.

The Swamp one is probably the the best example of a one that does it right, because it has a bunch randomized stuff and can be finished relatively quickly, so it's not a surprise people choose that one over all the others.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If anyone finds HoT in the bargain bin at Walmart or something for about :10bux:, PM me and I'll send you the cost plus shipping and handling.

• Locked thread