Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

When is raid time and how many flasks do I need to farm mats for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lyer posted:

It's funny how anet has been gradually trying to divorce itself from these things. I get the feeling once they've totally made them irrelevant, they're just going to remove them and make the story paths solo missions.

I wish they'd do that, I've had 'kill zombie dragon' hovering in the corner of my screen forever since I never felt like bothering with any group content and never saw anything to convince me that removing the classic MMO trinity and replacing it with nothing was a good way to design dungeons.

If I could finally finish that original personal story, that'd be cool.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Lucky for you, Arah story is now a single player personal story quest.

Oh, wow, really? I guess I should really start doing something more than logging on once a month to make sure you don't gkick me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Remembered that I should probably buy this expansion since it'll be out next week, then I looked at the purchase page and I guess the base purchase doesn't come with an extra character slot, you only get one if you splurge for the 75 dollar version? I mean, even though they're adding a new class? That blows, since I'm full up with one of each existing class already. Usually you want one of the advertised features of your expansion to be readily available to everyone who, you know, buys your expansion.

And yeah, I know I can just pony up and buy another slot from the gem store, but it seems sort of petty of them not to include one. Kind of killed my desire to blow money on games. :saddowns:

Edit: vv Just noticed that, under the tiny grey link at the bottom of the page with the highly informative text of 'learn more about the additional pre-purchase offer' How could I miss something so obvious. Okay fine Anet, take my money.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 18, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Action camera sounds like what I've been waiting for all these years. I've still been using the mod that basically does this with AHK scripts and stuff, but it's janky and having it integrated into the base game will be soooo much better.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Oh my god you mean my pets will actually survive longer than 10 seconds in a fight? :aaaaa:

why the gently caress wasn't this done sooner anet jesus christ

Hey cut them some slack, it takes a long time to come up with a solution that WoW came up with 10 years ago.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

You can't bind skill 2 to right mouse in action camera mode, this expansion is garbage.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I haven't made it halfway through the first zone yet. I log in, walk in a random direction because hell if I know what all these new map icons are (that one's a building, this one looks like a man taking his padlock out for a walk, what do they mean?). Then some ankle biter mini-mobs turn me into a fine paste. So I go back and take it slower and try to kill my way carefully through things. Then some mushroom dudes that apparently have the power to spam endless death zones all over the ground and chain pull me into them more times than I can handle even with all my dodges and dodge-like skills kill me again. At this point I usually say 'gently caress this' and go play another game. How do I make the pain stop, goons?

Also I get that masteries are a thing you have to unlock with points, but the game is not doing me any favors as far as explaining how they work. It tells me I have so many central Tyria points, presumably from old world completion stuff I did a year or two ago, but it doesn't tell me how to spend those points on anything. My old saved hero points gave me enough to get about halfway through my elite spec, which is neat I guess. I'm still kind of sad that ele got a boring rear end warhorn of all things.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shab posted:

I'm thinking about hopping in after a long hiatus. I just saw the news about the Action Camera. I used to use a third-party program to achieve the same thing. What's the verdict on this new built-in version?

If you were used to using RMB for some bind with ICM (or whatever 3rd party program you were using, but it was probably ICM), this version can't do that. For me, at least, this is proving to be a real pain and I'm having a hell of a time unlearning the muscle memory. I'm almost to the point where I'm just ready to go back to ICM. For all of its janky quirks with menus and such, at least it worked smoothly in combat and didn't keep getting me killed.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

Auto attack actually works perfectly if you use your skill 1 bind. Mouse click does not start auto attack for some reason.

Oh yeah this is another thing that bugs me about it. Mouse click won't start auto attack, because I guess it's more action-y? Or something? I don't know, but it's a dumb design decision and another thing they should have just left alone.

Also it's kind of touchy about aiming, which I don't like. ICM would basically fire at whatever was closest to your crosshair, even if you weren't aiming at it. But action camera tends to be more touchy and seems like it will actually miss things in some cases (it's not very consistent) if you're too far off target. I'm fine with something like this if the whole game is designed around it, but come on. At its heart this is still a tab-target hotkey MMO. Unless you're going to rebuild the whole game around FPS style aiming, you can't just toss it in and expect it to work right.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Arus can't buy gems, there goes Anet's revenue stream. Shut it down, boys

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Finally got gliding and bouncing so the game is a little bit less of a pain, although I still ended up rage quitting when trying to do a story step and a mushroom bounced me straight up to an apparently immortal frog and I died a million miles away from the nearest waypoint. I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually but drat if this convoluted vertical map combined with the lovely mobs and sparse waypoint placement doesn't do everything possible to make me want to stop playing constantly. Here's a free tip Anet: inconvenience is not the same as challenge. Mad about games. :saddowns:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It got a little ridiculous when I found out there were normal harvestable mushrooms in the third (?) zone that come up with the standard harvest icon but if you click them it's all UNLOCK MUSHROOM HARVESTING TO HARVEST THIS!!! Like, seriously? To me, this feels like a lack of confidence in the content they've built. Making people grind and waste time to get to something is what games do when their content isn't all the interesting in the first place, and they want you to feel like it's more important because you have to wait so long to get to it.

If this were original GW2 the mastery XP bars would be about 1/4 or 1/8 the size they are now, and you'd get enough to fill one after doing one or two event chains. I can run through these long chained events that take a good 30 minutes or more to complete and look down at my bar and notice it's hardly moved. This sure isn't the game I remember.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Hey, anyone use that ICM combat mod have any luck getting it to work with HoT?

There's an updated version of it that was linked somewhere up the thread that is designed to work with the new action camera. It lets you rebind right mouse to whatever you want, too. It made the game a ton more playable for me, since I had a lot of muscle memory of using skill 2 on right mouse and not having that was killing me. I'd provide the link but I'm at work, so let your google be your guide.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Amante posted:

Mastery would be a much more enjoyable system if you just spent Mastery points to instantly train abilities. It's the exp grind that really sucks the fun out of it.

Yeah, and having the points as well as the XP bar to fill up is unintuitive. And having the bar vary in XP amount depending on which mastery you're working on is even more confusing. And none of this is explained to you in game anywhere. It loves to pop up with a HEY UNLOCK THIS THING every time I accidentally press my 'use' key near the wrong mushroom (and then doesn't go away until I switch out of action camera and click the little X, thanks so much for that!) but heaven forbid they do any tutorializing for the convoluted mastery system.

It feels like the whole mastery system probably went through a lot of iterating and argument behind the scenes, and what we ended up with is the result of someone saying 'gently caress it, we've got to ship something.'

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is anyone else still playing an elementalist? I'm finding tempest a bit lackluster and hoping that someone has a shiny new build or something to suggest. The warhorn abilities all seem kind of meh, the overloads require you to mash your face up against mobs that can usually one-shot you (and you can't dodge without breaking the channel), and the only decent damage overload seems to be air anyway.

Dagger/warhorn seems subpar because without the dagger offhand you lose a lot of mobility, and scepter is generally terrible regardless of what you pair it with. The most damage seems to come from constantly overloading air, but then you're stuck in air scepter which is the worst damage output. Or air dagger, but you don't have your cool mobility tricks to survive while daggering. Or just not use the warhorn at all, I guess, but then what's the point of even having it? I don't know, it just all feels vaguely half-assed and as if it were designed by someone who really didn't understand the profession in the first place. So, basically par for the course for Ele. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Those patch notes. Warriors aren't happy with something, ohmigod quick, break out the buffs! Good to see the old Anet balance philosophy remains unchanged. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

to be fair, berserker is genuinely really lackluster to the point where no one is even caring to make builds for it

Nah, I know they needed it. And I'm not crying that someone else got a cookie and I didn't, just amused that they're always ready to come running with a band-aid and kisses whenever a warrior skins their knee.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

That Mordremoth fight is a buggy mess, eh? Twice through it and dying to bugs out of nowhere was enough for me. Trying to channel on those rifts (if they don't spawn in mid-air) while taking random damage from I don't know what, and every little bit of damage interrupts the channel bar again. The updrafts lift you, except when they don't. Braham (or maybe it was Canach) will shield you, except when they don't. And when some random poorly explained fight mechanic downs you, your NPC pals might res you... except when they don't. But there's no mid-fight checkpoint, so rewind 10 minutes and start over again! :shepicide:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mizuti posted:

They did not. You can still get transmutation charges commonly from completing regular maps, too, and SPvP reward tracks reward a fair number of them.

It is good that they're pretty readily available, but having them as a limited resource in the first place has an effect on the way people think about them. I'm probably sitting on 90-something transmute charges, but I think I've changed my gear look probably once? It's just that mental twitch of 'oh god what if I run out one day and then the next day I find the perfect outfit ahhhhh'

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I got that in the exact same spot. That was my breaking point after my previous attempt fizzled out on an updraft which wouldn't trigger my glider. What a horrible, buggy mess.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing, since the personal story is actually decently engaging (at least by the low standards of MMO stories) up to this point. I was enjoying the ride and ready to stomp a dragon('s mind). Then stuff kept bugging out and killing me for no obvious reason, and I had to redo the whole fight over and over again. Any interesting story events become pretty monotonous when it's your third time seeing them play out in the last 30 minutes. Disappointing way to fizzle out a story that actually seemed to be going places for once.

Edit: Unrelated, I found the DnT video about their prize elementalist spec to be kind of dumb. I'm sure it's someone's mathed up min-maxed top DPS build, or whatever. But it's a staff build using tempest, which just doesn't compute right out of the gate. The main strength of staff is being able to nuke at range and keep the mobs back with snares and walls and so on. Whereas the main strength of Tempest is the overloads, which are all small radius AoEs right around your character. If you're going to be mashing your face on a mob, you'd probably be using a dagger with its close range attacks, gap closers, and escape mobility options.

But they sure did blow up that training golem real good, I guess.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 5, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I actually did a random PUG run of HOTW a few months ago with a DnT staff elementalist. They were not terrible or anything, especially not by pubbie standards, but they were downed many, many times while fighting the Butcher. They use the glassiest of glass builds and that's pretty much it.

Even a single mistake if going to mean insta death, and guess what humans make mistakes.

Yeah I can't really talk there, I've been running full berserker except maybe a couple jewelery items forever. I have no problem dealing with any telegraphed attacks, and anything that's just invisible damage out of nowhere I figure would be just as B.S. even if I were in full soldier's, so I dig in my heels and refuse to change. I do get tired of being one-shot in the legendary wyvern fights in the new jungle zones though. :sigh:

I kind of just wish they'd figure out what WoW did long ago, that you can't make HP a primary stat on gear, you just need to put at least a little bit of it on everything by default. Players don't care about making their HP bar bigger (unless they're a tank, whoops we don't have any of those), they care about making damage numbers bigger. Plus you can't really balance damage output to be challenging-but-fair when one person might have double the HP of the next person.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Does every single new zone have its variation on treasure boxes and keys with which to open them? I mean, I guess that would be fine if each one didn't have to take up yet another bag slot. Can't really see the gameplay reasoning behind it though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

malhavok posted:

All you are being asked to do is play the game, at no point do you have to grind for anything. If you consider simply playing the game grinding then getting all the masteries is not going to change that one tiny bit, what you do on those first couple hours is going to be no different than what you do 998 hours later with 200 mastery points.

Grinding is doing something you don't enjoy (usually at length) in order to get to do the thing you do enjoy. Trying to redefine it doesn't make it any more enjoyable for someone who doesn't want to play the game in the specific way they're being forced to do in order to get to the things they like.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I haven't really logged in for months, but I just happened to check and apparently they recently brought SAB back and then took it away again? Ouch. Were there any new zones or was it just the old two worlds and various levels we had previously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Logged back in for the first time in a year or so for SAB. Sad to see that there's still no world 3. Maybe next year...

• Locked thread