Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's not the one that you are looking for, but:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

You know, now that he said that and I looked at it a little more it does make sense. But since it's a 3D graph on a 2D medium it remains kinda confusing to the brain.

No I get that there's a method/logic behind it, I just want an explanation because I personally do not understand it. I looked up Labanotation and found that it's a thing, but even after reading wikipedia and another introduction I am lost.

Since someone here gets it I'd love them to explain

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Quad posted:

Does anyone have a link to this big gender/sexual identity checklist I saw a while ago, it had over 200 different options and a Points System for how opressed you were?

This one?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jews: five times more privileged than Christians.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mak0rz posted:

Jews: five times more privileged than Christians.

Also: scientists as unprivileged as poor people. The whole thing is satire.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, going by that every Saudi prince is extremely oppressed.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HardDisk posted:

I like how the genderfluid agender at the top isn't within the actual 'genderfluid' circle. Those venn diagrams are tricky bastards.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dienes posted:

I like how the genderfluid agender at the top isn't within the actual 'genderfluid' circle. Those venn diagrams are tricky bastards.

And that reverses at the bottom. Apparently male + female = the opposite of whichever venn circle they are currently intersecting.

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

No I get that there's a method/logic behind it, I just want an explanation because I personally do not understand it. I looked up Labanotation and found that it's a thing, but even after reading wikipedia and another introduction I am lost.

It made more sense to me on second glance, too (after initially looking like gibberish). The three intersecting lines in the middle are axes: light vs. strong, sudden vs. sustained, direct vs. flexible. The points at the corners of the cube represent movements or actions (of the human body I assume), each of which falls somewhere on the three axes. So, for example, the action "floating" is light, flexible, and sustained. "Flicking" is also light and flexible, but it is sudden rather than sustained. That distinction makes intuitive sense to me; some of the others are a little more obscure, but I imagine someone with the right background could explain them all.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that's what I got from it too. It classifies movement types along those 3 axes.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
This is my favourite graph.

"OUYA says that they expect to hit the 50-percent mark for shipments by the end of next week if all goes according to plan." And we all know how that went.

Barrington
Oct 5, 2010

Mo' shekels
God drat I loving love these.

Everything in this thread reminds me of Brass Eye.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jesus Christ it's page three!

For shame, :eng99:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

Jesus Christ it's page three!

For shame, :eng99:

Libertarianism is so goddamn stupid

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Libertarianism is so goddamn stupid

It is an SA reference. Look up Toblerone Triangular because he did do an awesome thing.

He is also responsible for "purestrain gold".

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

That's a great graph. It makes a point through hyperbole and intentionally chooses a poor informational layout to make its point more visually striking.

Good communication skills.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe some Koreans just take things out on Japan whenever something happens? :v: (A plane crashes in Ukraine? Attack Japan! etc.)

Except that graph is in Japanese. Can anyone who reads Japanese confirm the overlaid translation is roughly correct?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe some Koreans just take things out on Japan whenever something happens? :v: (A plane crashes in Ukraine? Attack Japan! etc.)

Except that graph is in Japanese. Can anyone who reads Japanese confirm the overlaid translation is roughly correct?

It's from some Japanese nationalistic blog, if I remember right. It was used to explain why the possibility of hostilities between North and South Korea is a good reason to expand the JSDF.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What kind of exotic substances would the USA have to be smoking to attack North Korea without South Korea's consent? Nobody wants to be holding the bag on that disaster.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
President Trump would do it.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

(btw, it's an Animation Masters, not a PHD in Dance)

There's 3 axis of effort, which define the "space". This is a map of that space, as a 3D cube, with the extreme points marked.
By thinking in these 3 terms, you can keep the movement of a particular character consistent, and you can also think about how to make other characters stand in contrast to them.
Eg. if one character "glides" in general (making Sustained, Light but Direct movements) then the are doing things purposefully with little effort. By contrast you could make the opposing character act in a "slash" way (taking Quick, Heavy and Indirect actions) where they are using a lot of energy to do things in a more staccato and less focused way. I could easily see that being a scene about how one character is going about a task with ease and grace, and the other being frustrated and envious as they try to emulate it but fail and increasingly become more the OPPOSITE of the motions they are trying to copy.
That's a really coarse example, you can do more fine-grained things by also having just one axis be different. Using this cube to analyse and place stuff like that can be really useful.

I work in games now, but I continue to find it useful as a tool for just placing things. If you were doing weapons in something like Quake 3, you can analyse their projectiles in a similar way and put them in this space. There are places in that where weapons are fixed, like a Rocket Launcher is always going to be Direct, Sustained, Heavy sort of projectile. But what does an Ion Gun do? If you find empty space in your movement graph, then you might want it to visually sit in that space because it will then "feel" different to the other gun (rather than feeling like a reskin of it) and other players will be able to distinguish the different types of incoming fire easier.

Our eyes have like 10x as many receptors to movement than colour, particularly in the periphery, and yet people don't put as much weight in "movement coding" things as "colour coding" them. This is my "RGB" for when i'm trying to differentiate or make things similar. As an artist it's easy (if annoying) when people say "Can you make it more blue". When dealing with motion people tend to lack the vocabulary to discuss what they find wrong, and I find that graph helpful to discussion.

MissMarple has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Oct 29, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That's really cool and interesting stuff, especially when it comes to translating these categories from people to movements in general. Thanks!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Shamefully stolen from the RSF Republican Primary thread:

From here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680205&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post450957932

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:eyepop:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

what in the actual gently caress is the purpose of this

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

:stonk:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Republicans are trying to be as malicious as Fox News, but apparently they are just incompetent.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It does get the information across, just in the least convenient way possible.

Who originally made this?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the very chart that inspired the creation of this thread, over in the politically-loaded maps thread.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

It needs a cross tab of delegates and super delegates for full :pcgamer:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Solemn Sloth posted:

what in the actual gently caress is the purpose of this

Intentionally bad graphs as a form of humor became a thing in that thread.

The sad thing, though, is that the Jeb! Bush campaign had graphs that were just about as bad.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

HardDisk posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how many special snowflakes were triggered because that doesn't represent their own specific niche gender.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe I'm dumb, but I have absolutely zero idea what this is supposed to mean.

Fake edit: Oh god, is it a timetable?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Capilarean posted:

Fake edit: Oh god, is it a timetable?

Yup!

E: Is it even real (as in, made in earnest)? Who made that abomination?

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Oct 31, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Where were you the day that Females achieved 5 rights?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Forcing all men into servitude; I was on the front lines of the War Against Penises.

Calculus Man
May 6, 2007
Forever vigilant against the evil power series!

Picnic Princess posted:

Forcing all men into servitude; I was on the front lines of the War Against Penises.

Also known as The Battle of the Bulge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

Where were you the day that Females achieved 5 rights?

I won't rest until men are reduced to 2 right