Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Look i have nothing against tall people, i just don't think they should shove it in our faces. How will I explain it to my kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jeebus bob posted:

There's absolutely no way those are based on actual data

It was a "literature review" that junked all of the literature because the "experiments" weren't double blinded.

Even though double blinding has its obvious limits; for example, you can't really double-blind an experiment into the efficacy of parachutes for skydiving.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Height is a choice

I keep telling my wife this, but she refuses to reach the high shelves

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As long a hacksaws stay legal, height will always be a choice

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

As long a hacksaws stay legal, height will always be a choice

Same, but for being male in the sense of having a dick and balls

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

There's absolutely no way those are based on actual data

Someone who can actually access papers could probably check the citation at the bottom to see wtf the actual context is on those chats they lifted

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The paper cited in the picture is open access: https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10691233

I haven't gone through the paper yet, but the graph looks pretty much the same, though they note that height is there as a "familiar comparator".

Edit: the intro is pretty clear about how neither biological nor social factors are likely to be determinative and instead work together in a complex system. Not sure they'd agree with the conclusions of the citing paper.

Napoleon Nelson has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Apr 11, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Someone who can actually access papers could probably check the citation at the bottom to see wtf the actual context is on those chats they lifted

Being bored, I chased it down. It does actually show up in the referenced paper. However, that paper cites as the basis for it another paper by the same author (Hines, M. (2015). Gendered Development.), which in turn only seems to state Cohen's d values for the distributions. I'm not too firm on my statistics, but as far as I can tell that d just describes how far the means of each group are apart measured in standard deviations (i.e. the horizontal distance between the peaks and overlap). Also, chasing down those sources, specifically for the "identification with the male gender" (Hines, Ahmed, & Hughes, 2003; Hines, Brook, & Conway, 2004), turned out to lead to studies with as few as 30 participants at a time.

So yah, that graph seems to be making a rather larger statement on rather little data.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm wondering what it is for "identification with male gender"

Cos, like, either that's tautological or if it's using male/female as some kind of bio sex categories that appears to be saying that trans people just actually do not exist, no AFAB/AMAB people identify with the other gender, no crossover possible, only self identified femboys/tomboys are possible.

It's one kind of stupid to say you think trans people are wrong but it's another level of insanity to say you apparently think they're all imaginary.

E: wait no it might be slightly worse, I think strictly that says trans men don't exist, congrats on inventing new levels of dickhead density.

Zooming in on the graph, there appears to be a small overlap between the two lines. If you look extremely closely you can see a little bit of the red line poking out from behind the blue line. That overlap may represent trans men and women. However, this makes it all the more confusing what exactly the x-axis represents.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Apr 11, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that still doesn't make sense because it means that 99.99% of AMAB people are more man-identifying than the most burly lumberjack trans man in existence.

Which is like... very easily demonstrably incorrect. Like have you been outside.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that still doesn't make sense because it means that 99.99% of AMAB people are more man-identifying than the most burly lumberjack trans man in existence.

Which is like... very easily demonstrably incorrect. Like have you been outside.

Yeah, and it would also mean the graph is saying that the number of XX people who identify with male gender at its peak is the same as the number of XY people, just at a less masculine point of the spectrum. That can’t be right.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I managed to track down the metrics/questionnaire they used for that. Turns out it's not anything like "do you consider yourself more masculine or feminine", but rather "Do you want to be of the opposite sex or nah?", which unsurprisingly the average cis person will say no to. The studies were quite small (some 30 people plus control each), so it's no surprise that there's almost only cis people in there. So in the end this graph just kinda says that cis people aren't trans.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
does cass cite the cogiati

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think it is pretty clear from the data that tall people are men and short people are women.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
want high heels? waiting list's 20 years for a first appointment, and your gp won't refer you until you're 25 anyway

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

I think it is pretty clear from the data that tall people are men and short people are women.

I agree, keep the gender binary as it is, but instead of using genitals as the sorting mechanism, the cutoff for being a man is 180cm. Anyone below is a woman. Gender reassignment is still painful and inaccessible, but it's now using a hacksaw (you can stretch bones this way).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

It was a "literature review" that junked all of the literature because the "experiments" weren't double blinded.

Even though double blinding has its obvious limits; for example, you can't really double-blind an experiment into the efficacy of parachutes for skydiving.

quote:

Footnotes
Contributors GCSS had the original idea. JPP tried to talk him out of it. JPP did the first literature search but GCSS lost it. GCSS drafted the manuscript but JPP deleted all the best jokes. GCSS is the guarantor, and JPP says it serves him right.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I’m confused as to what this even has to do with being trans? Like in certain countries men and women sit apart at church. I don’t think a woman who says “gently caress that, that’s stupid I’m sitting next to my brother” somehow has a male identity.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Domus posted:

I’m confused as to what this even has to do with being trans? Like in certain countries men and women sit apart at church. I don’t think a woman who says “gently caress that, that’s stupid I’m sitting next to my brother” somehow has a male identity.

Very little, the anti-trans crowd lean hard into biotruths

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Domus posted:

It's kind of a tangent where the report goes on about "Uh there's two sexes, they're super distinct, and gender expression is usually really just determined by sex". It's a recurrent topic in the larger TERF culture war. They're very invested in the idea that there's exactly two easily defined and very distinct sexes and that any common difference in gender expression is either nurture or a direct consequence of biological sex. That in turn lets them argue that being trans is purely psychological, reversible, and a social contagion.

It's kinda insane, after those graphs in the report there's a section on gender identity as a concept distinct from birth sex and it's exactly two points long and references a single paper from loving 1966 because the author threw out anything more recent.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

https://bsky.app/profile/carlbergstrom.com/post/3kpwd4mfcfa2d

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Goosing your dingus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Found on Facebook:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Took me an hour to solve that thing in Picross.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who these top left corner people out there, all rocking a can of skoal

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Bottom right corner, they call me the worm

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Bottom right corner, they call me the worm

I will never not lol at the alien guy from Babylon 5 who had a meter long prehensile dick and used it to cheat at cards

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ultrafilter posted:

Found on Facebook:

Now, here's an idea. If they made the same chart but as a heat map of common penis sizes and overlaid that on top of this one ... And then when the overlap is found to be nearly 100%, think about how evolution might contribute to that status quo. Bingo, instant IgNobel prize.

Edit: Yeah I realize that chart is probably bullshit based on some online survey of participants claiming to be women, but let's ignore that for a second

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Now, here's an idea. If they made the same chart but as a heat map of common penis sizes and overlaid that on top of this one ... And then when the overlap is found to be nearly 100%, think about how evolution might contribute to that status quo. Bingo, instant IgNobel prize.

Edit: Yeah I realize that chart is probably bullshit based on some online survey of participants claiming to be women, but let's ignore that for a second

im sure penissizedebate.com has thoroughly documented their sampling methodology, cohort sizes, etc

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 12, 2024

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
gimme a .gov or don't bother

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tree Goat posted:

gimme a .gov or don't bother

.edu imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm curious how many people can accurately gauge circumference by eye. Or I suppose how many people are using calipers on their sexual partners.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

I'm curious how many people can accurately gauge circumference by eye. Or I suppose how many people are using calipers on their sexual partners.

lots more pipefitting licentiates out there than you think

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

One of the reasons the "glass flows very slowly" thing is so believable is due to old glass panes being thicker at the bottom than at the top - must have flowed down, right?

No, that's just an artifact of a fascinating bit of history of technology nerdery. Making large, uniformly flat glass sheets is relatively new. The way glassmakers used to produce panes is to spin a blob of molten glass really fast on the end of a stick and the centrifuge-like effect would spread it out into a disc shape. Let it cool and then cut it into rectangles or whatever shape.

Naturally there's going to be changes in thickness along the radius of the glass disc, and because people in the past weren't stupid it quickly became common practice to set glass in windows with the thicker end down for a little bit of extra stability.

I'm sure this isn't news to most folks reading this but I think it's a neat bit of knowledge and I hope somebody reading it is learning it for the first time and finds it interesting, because that always brightens my day to learn cool poo poo.
While there are a lot of myths about glass, centrifuging it really precisely as it cools is extremely useful for making telescope mirrors. Below the football stadium at the University of Arizona, a centrifuge was filled with 20 tons of molten glass at a time and used to form the 7 segments of the 25 meter Giant Magellan Telescope.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Was that to get a consistent density instead of the shape? I figured anything as exact as a telescope lens would be oversized then just precision ground to the correct shape

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps polishing cannot produce a smooth enough surface and the only solution is casting it in that shape?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

GWBBQ posted:

While there are a lot of myths about glass, centrifuging it really precisely as it cools is extremely useful for making telescope mirrors. Below the football stadium at the University of Arizona, a centrifuge was filled with 20 tons of molten glass at a time and used to form the 7 segments of the 25 meter Giant Magellan Telescope.

You can take a tour of the mirror lab, it's sick as heck

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
glass or dicks or both

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
e: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Was that to get a consistent density instead of the shape? I figured anything as exact as a telescope lens would be oversized then just precision ground to the correct shape

By interesting coincidence, a fluid being rotated naturally assumes the shape of a parabola, and this is also the ideal shape for a telescope mirror. Casting the glass at nearly the correct shape makes grinding it to the correct shape much cheaper and faster.

Similarly, there are proposals to build a telescope on the moon by using a rotating vat of liquid mercury to act as a naturally stable perfect mirror. You need to put it on the moon so it can be exposed to the sky, but not exposed to an atmosphere that will oxidize the metal.