Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Sit on my Jace posted:

Most sane American measurement

That is actually the British measurement of proof, which is some weird one that caps at 175 proof and involves gunpowder and varies based on temperature. The American system is just 2x the alcohol by volume and has been for the last 170 years or so.

So actually it may be the most sane American measurement system now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ranbo das posted:

That is actually the British measurement of proof, which is some weird one that caps at 175 proof and involves gunpowder and varies based on temperature. The American system is just 2x the alcohol by volume and has been for the last 170 years or so.

So actually it may be the most sane American measurement system now that I think about it.

I dunno about the veracity, but I was told that "naval strength" gin was so-called because you could use it to light off your cannons if your powder got wet. I do know it will get you hosed up mad quick in a G&T.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Italian347/status/1783262801005301878

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Elviscat posted:

I dunno about the veracity, but I was told that "naval strength" gin was so-called because you could use it to light off your cannons if your powder got wet. I do know it will get you hosed up mad quick in a G&T.

Pretty sure that was with rum. Sailors would check it's strength by pouring it on gunpowder the gunpowder would still light (which is 57% ABV or above apparently). It was because they'd get rum rations and this was a way to make sure you weren't getting ripped off by getting watered down rum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_ration#History

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Its a Good image for explaining why everyone hates libs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I don't see anything wrong here :confused:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What flag is between USA and Saudis?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure that was with rum. Sailors would check it's strength by pouring it on gunpowder the gunpowder would still light (which is 57% ABV or above apparently). It was because they'd get rum rations and this was a way to make sure you weren't getting ripped off by getting watered down rum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_ration#History
To contribute to the chaotic mix of nonstandard units, vague estimations, and wild guesses, I'm just going to share that I was taught in college that using NIST standard temperature and pressure values for room temperature (68°F at 1atm) and proof=2x ABV, you need 130 proof liquor to ignite a shot with an open flame.

The caveats, because of course there are caveats, are that I never verified this experimentally, and I learned it in a Political Science class.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kennel posted:

The closest thing I can figure is that it's a genericized version of those US state flags that are blue with the state seal on.

E: I'm pretty sure the real answer is that the person who made the picture is a moron.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Apr 29, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

I don't see anything wrong here :confused:

Yes, we know you're Finnish

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

GWBBQ posted:

chaotic mix of nonstandard units, vague estimations, and wild guesses

GWBBQ posted:

Political Science

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GWBBQ posted:

To contribute to the chaotic mix of nonstandard units, vague estimations, and wild guesses, I'm just going to share that I was taught in college that using NIST standard temperature and pressure values for room temperature (68°F at 1atm) and proof=2x ABV, you need 130 proof liquor to ignite a shot with an open flame.

The caveats, because of course there are caveats, are that I never verified this experimentally, and I learned it in a Political Science class.

I live at sea level, keep my house at or below 68 in the winter, and have lit regular 80 proof rum on fire. I don't remember the specifics because it was not the first rum I poured that evening, but I didn't use anything but a lighter.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Kennel posted:

Belize maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's satire.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/JohnBird001/status/1785126483758846103

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but this one is worth at least ten thousand and they are being screamed at you at the same time

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm not sure I buy the argument that that's bimodal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I might agree or disagree, if I could figure out what in the hell is even going on there

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Are they sure it's not one of these situations?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sure, and Earth body 4 corner time equals 4 leg mobility. Earth has 4 days simultaneously each rotation.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

That would mean that if I work out every other day I can work out 56 times a month, right?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A real scientist would have included a second X axis on the top edge.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I might agree or disagree, if I could figure out what in the hell is even going on there

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ikanreed posted:

I'm not sure I buy the argument that that's bimodal.
OMNImodal

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are they sure it's not one of these situations?

I think that may be why he phrased it "exoplanets measured by the Kepler mission". The graph does show Earth and Venus in the bottom left corner, but I think the smaller/more distant Earthlikes don't tug their suns around enough for Kepler to see.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

"looks like we have just enough left in the budget to make a single graph. how do we prioritize the most important information?"
"we don't"

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

CaptainViolence posted:

"looks like we have just enough left in the budget to make a single graph. how do we prioritize the most important information?"
"we don't"

You joke but some journals charge per colour figure.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's basically showing the types of possible planet and how the exoplanets we've detected fit into the range of possibilities.

The thick red and orange lines show what the mass vs radius (in terms of earth masses and earth radii) would be for a planet with the specified composition - pure iron, 33% iron 66% ???. Then the purple lines and adjacent lines on the temperature colour scale continue that, for planets of 50% water 50% ???, pure water, 98% water 2% hydrogen?, each at a range of temperatures (300-1000K).

Thin dotted lines show what mass vs radius would be for a sphere of constant density.
Thick dotted line labelled ‘collisional stripping’ shows the bound for planets affected by collisional stripping, *presumably* that prevents planets being pure iron. I'm a quasar person so can't speak to that. Not sure what M/R 3 corresponds to as well, but it’ll be another bounding process - could be nothing less dense is stable?

The closed contours are probably a 2d kernel-smoothed histogram of the observed exoplanet masses and radii, with the kernel smoothed out proportional to the error on the measurements I guess? The marker type shows the way those measurements were taken, RV for radial velocity (detecting a planet from the wobbles it induces in the star it orbits), TTV for transit timing variation (variations in the orbital time of a directly-detected planet explicable by the indirectly detected one, don’t know how that gets the radius?). Not sure how the directly detected transienting planets are plotted, possibly just as grey as a heatmap as the errors are much lower. The flux colourbar probably corresponds to the colour of the exoplanet markers and will be related to the amount of photons used for the detection? But I’m a simulation and modelling guy so the actual telescope counts are a bit lost on me. I prefer to make up my data.

Left axis histogram is the number of exoplanets with a given mass detected by the Kepler telescope. Bottom axis is the kernel-smoothed histogram again, projected into radius.

Talkie Toaster has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Apr 30, 2024

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Talkie Toaster posted:

You joke but some journals charge per colour figure.

I was guessing page limits myself lol, those things are killer

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Red Bones posted:

A real scientist would have included a second X axis on the top edge.

It just needs Z axis, actually.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Not according to this chart:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
September 11, 2001 - $9.99

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I believe the price of a 911 regdate was $9.11

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

BonHair posted:

I believe the price of a 911 regdate was $9.11

I strongly think we should generalise this. Please set my regdate to 00/00/00.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Placeholder posted:

You're putting a LOT of faith in Radium's code here

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

NaN:st of NaNuary, year 0. Surely any competent programmer would have thought of this eventuality.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Placeholder posted:

I wish to set my regdate to 31st december 1000 BC. By the 9/11 example this will cost $-12.31. Please set my regdate to this value as many times as possible every day.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Placeholder posted:

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, they haven’t even gotten around to assigning you a uaername yet!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ariong posted:

Yeah, they haven’t even gotten around to assigning you a uaername yet!

Lol

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Loving this avatar/post combo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.