Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
LABEL YOUR oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
As far as I can tell, X-axis is agreement with the statement about repatriation of blacks restoring free speech, and comparing responses to that question with whether race mixing is bad.

Sort responses alphabetically instead of by degree, use inappropriate bar graphs, and season to taste of insanity.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When we look to the traditional approach related to the Fibonacci Numbers we see this block diagram on wikipedia:

The first One that you see here is however a enigma in mathematics. What is 1^0? There are different opinions between mathematicians. In the Pelastratic approach this enigmatic first One is composed by two zero's (two background membrane peaks), making a new union that has three layers. That gives next picture:

ONE is a topological union of two zero's where one zero is active - the penetrator - and the other one is a passive peak tube. The passive and active peak have each another origin, here represented by an opposite spiral motion. Since the topological penetration (pelastration) creates three membranes in this union a "space" - with three dimensions - - is created. Now the image of two separating curves may remember you to images of particle collisions in particle colliders like at Cern. See next images about the decay of some fundamental particles.

I was looking for Gurren Lagann gifs because of the Spiral/Anti-Spiral thing and then found this:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing that baffles me most about Austrian school adherents is that they're violently opposed to Keynsian economics even though Keynsian economics has been proven to actually work. It's a prime example of ideology over reality.

Yeah, I love how Keynes' economics has in some circumstances had flawed predictions but in general seems to work in practice, whereas the Austrian school has beautifully consistent theorems that frequently fall over when exposed to the real world.

We've been doing this Supply Side poo poo for at least forty years, we have lots of evidence the theory doesn't match the practice.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Judging by the stratospheric level of life satisfaction at age 80, I'm pretty sure it's a joke graph.

It's from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, so yes it's a joke. :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

DarkHorse has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Mar 5, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jeebus bob posted:

Pyramid scheme recruitment material?

Sort of. MLMs are required to publish this sort of information (hopefully to convince people how garbage they are) but there aren't any rules about misleading presentation apparently.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that supposed to be a log scale?

Yup. Here's what it looks like with a regular scale and with Log scale for comparison.

For further context, over 99.43% make less than their published median, and over 98.8% make less than the weighted average.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My one experience with Koreans in a business capacity followed that graph eerily closely.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, all those creamsicle-flavoured sweets.

You mean like creamsicles? There are taffies and stuff flavored like that too

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Super basic stuff that's so obvious people forget it:

Label axes, always, and make sure they have units.

If you have multiple line graphs or scatter plots on one plot, be sure that they are distinct in at least two ways, one of which in case it's printed in black and white. Different shapes + different line patterns or thicknesses, for example. This also covers your rear end with colorblind people.

Know what you're trying to say, and which graph is the one that says it in the least time. Lines for trends, bars for independent "buckets" of information, etc.

On that note, make sure it's clear in general. Clear, readable font in an appropriate size, no goofy graphics, line widths and patterns the give the data structure but don't distract from the data itself.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Agnostalgia posted:

Werther's originals too far up old and to the right to fit on the graph.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
2 Battlefield 4 me

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Wouldn't California need to be flipped around too?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'd be interested to see how much Wyoming fluctuates. I figure one head-on collision with fatalities would skew their numbers pretty strongly

E: I'm Ohio east of West Virginia

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Maxwells Demon posted:

We no longer execute them for being insufferable. So that could be a positive or negative depending on how you view it.

We make them post-docs and TAs, which is much like torture.

If nothing else it keeps them and their dangerous ideas safely contained.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I like how coal is only roughly correlated with the coal axis

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

HardDiskD posted:

Before you try to make sense of that graph I got it from this article

Patriothole :patriot: :911: :fsmug:

the day this was posted, clickhole renamed itself Patriothole

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

"nintey"
Wisconsin
Diarrhea and tomorrow are less than 11 letters

Not only did they get the color wrong, Arizona and Colorado both have "tomorrow" and are right next to each other.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

doverhog posted:

God cannot be omnipotent and benevolent, as is proved by the world as it is. This is what convinced me, ways back, that he does not exist, at least not in any form taught by the major monotheistic religions.

Maybe there is a god of Minecraft cummies though. Seems far more believable.

Not to derail, but the third pillar of the argument of theodicy is that god is also omniscient. With the first two you could have an all-powerful God that wanted the best for creation but just didn't know everything.

Like that minecraft cummies would be a thing, and now god just wants to destroy everything.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I want to tape this to a fidget spinner now

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
This seems like it should've been a repost, but I just can't not post it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I choose to believe that she coded whatever software made that graph and she's being witheringly sarcastic to whoever made that with it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

I didn't know there even WERE regular non-anthropomorphic ducks in this universe, let alone that one of them is Huey Dewey and Louie's father.

It's a duck sitting in front of the portrait, there are also leaves obscuring the first part of his name.

Non-anthropomorphic duck is still wtf tho

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Ahahahaha ha :lol:

That is just the laziest loving thing I have ever seen, and I saw a co-op's monitor not only go to screen saver, but turn itself off because he fall asleep sitting up at his desk, still holding his mouse.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The Triforce of Stupid Marketing

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
RPG rules are getting pretty out of hand

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, for some reason I wanted the y axis inverted but I think that's a reasonable people can disagree thing.

You’re not the only one who tried to read it that way, but I agree it’s not an unreasonable choice to do it the other way

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sentient Data posted:

(Any crime where victim is struck with a bullet)

Now I want to glue a round to a baseball bat

*Cops shoot bystanders and the family dog while chasing burglar*

Looks like we got ourselves another shooting victim! 5-20 years for you, bucko! :clint:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

walrusman posted:

It's trying to convince people to buy in now and drive prices up, because there will be nowehere near enough to go around in the very near future.

I love the logic of this because it presupposes fractional BTC isn’t a thing.

In their minds, people will be fighting to be the one to buy their bitcoin from them for the equivalent of millions of dollars instead of just using .00000054 BTC for their stupid transaction (or, more realistically, laughing when they run to pay for something with their worthless internet tokens)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
No Windows ME

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

People have figured out that truncating the y-axis is misleading, time to move on to making it non-linear instead.

It’s pretty obvious when undergrads learn they can use logarithmic scales to try and make their data not look like garbage

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

:stonklol:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It’s happened in Europe, Germany especially I believe, and called cradle to grave responsibility.

In the US though yeah it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Related to your comment, my toothpaste went from 7.4 oz. to 4.7 oz., and it took me a second to realize they were different sizes. I have no doubt this was a deliberate choice on the part of the manufacturers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Loss edits gettin good

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Truly one of our government's greatest minds with access to its deepest secrets

People with clearances are p. dumb with passwords tbh

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
2% alien

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the female ferret thing is only if you don't get them spayed though. It has something to do with a buildup of hormones but if they've been fixed then they no longer produce them.

But yeah there's a reason why 90% of pets are either cats or dogs. There are a lot of animals that fall under the category of "tame" but not "domesticated".

Ferrets have also been horrifically inbred by industry groups that only provide fixed animals and are prone to all sorts of diseases because of said genetic mismanagement, with little option for someone to try to breed a more resilient or domesticated line.

Which is sad, because (your friend's) ferts are awesome fun meat slinkies to play with :stoat:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess if you really think about it, Democracy is a weird American thing that other countries copied ideas from.

In the US, there's no proportional representation in parliamentary bodies, everything is all or nothing (except with Maine's electoral college votes).

If one candidate gets 20% and eight others get 10% each, the 20% wins it all. Primaries are our (poor) solution to narrow the field to a small number of candidates.

It’s amazing what they got right and what’s still around despite clearly not being ideal

Single Transferable Vote now

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Closed primaries are also so that people can’t sabotage opposing primaries (and still get to vote in their favored one, at least). You still see this where campaigns will fund spoiler candidates in secret to try and divide their opponents’ votes in the primary

This is all still an artifact of First Past the Post and would be greatly helped by Single Transferable Vote, but we’re not allowed to have nice things so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

I think I once ran across a paper where someone did a rigorous mathematical analysis of the predator-prey dynamics among vampires and humans as shown in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If I recall correctly, the town was a pretty feasible ecosystem, mathematically speaking.

I remember seeing another that I think used Bram Stoker’s Dracula (or maybe it was Underworld) and concluding humanity was basically doomed unless vampires were exterminated very, very early on