Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If there's only 1 death attributed to an animal selfie in the study, its very blue ballsing to not say which animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gorilla Salad posted:

I once almost yelled at a suit at work for making a chart exactly like this for a meeting only to be told "It's only supposed to be representative."

That's when I discovered that to a certain type of person, "representative" means "just, like whatever looks pretty" and not, as I had thought, actually representative of the data being displayed.

:negative:
There's a sad part of me where I don't know that that's entirely wrong. Even a properly made pie chart is usually held in disdain compared to a histogram in a serious setting, so might as well go all the way and divorce it from anything quantitative if you just want the equivalent of clip art as backing to numbers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did somebody say Venn diagram

Keep Talking and Noone Explodes looked at decades of interface design and technical writing, and purposefully did everything opposite. The Bomb Defusal Manual is a work of art.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Feb 9, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To make sure everyone's on the same page with wording, the simple explanation is there are closed elections for determining a party's nominee in an election for an elected position.

The complicated explanation is there are closed elections who's results are used to inform voting members of a conferring body in their selection of a nominee in an election for an elected position because it isn't a presidential election unless you have 10 different sets of white men deciding at different levels on behalf of the people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RabbitWizard posted:

Is there some kind of special nacho-thing in PES? Otherwise it's just a "5-point-graph" (don't know a better word) with 2 values, quite readable.
They are called radar charts, and Japanese video game developers go absolutely bananas for them. They are probably just on the near side of the divide of useful vs awful figures, but would probably be replaced with a series of figures if you aren't trying to impress people that you know what a radar chart is or if you aren't making a Japanese video game.

I think its meant to file under funny as its a decent example of an abused chart type.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cleretic posted:

Far as I can tell, this graph is a depiction of how people rate those respondents. So, of all respondents, people rank teachers as more prestigious than clergymen, soldiers and congressmen, but less prestigious than doctors, scientists and firefighters.

I think a better measurement for this would be 'respect', since it seems to have been taken that way and makes more sense.
The stacked pie chart presentation is super weird, but it says "proportion of respondents" right in the title. It was probably either polled as "Is occupation X prestigious, yes/no" or they were asked to assign prestige on a 5 point scale and it's a count of 4s and 5s, 'very' being the low bar next to neutral in most implementations of the 5 point scale.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heath posted:

How can you be said to have a relationship that's healthy but not enjoyable? If you're not enjoying it, it's not healthy by virtue of that.
Healthy but not enjoyable are possible familial obligations. Enjoyable but not healthy is stuff like getting friendzoned.

The "sample distribution" is the biggest farce because as people point out you'd expect most stuff to fall on a line of y=x except for some of the more unique cases like above.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

itskage posted:

Uhm? No... this is the bad graph thread that information should be represented on another unlabeled x axis.
Am I too far gone if my thought after reading this is that "hey this might actually be one of the only uses for a bubble chart"?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Music theory won't rest until they've taken the fun out of everything. These are probably fine, if you are OK with music theory like some sort of nerd

Music theory used to really mean something back in the day...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
That one is pretty amazing in how you discover all the atrocities in waves. Though really it's probably some poor gently caress forgetting to change the secondary axis, otherwise it would've been just bad in mostly unremarkable way (except for August).
Its a poison graph even when 2016 is on the same axis because it is using min/max as comparative bounding instead of something like a confidence interval, you know, to actually try and prove a statistical point and not just go boy howdy those are some numbers huh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Split the difference between middle aged dad's and stoned 20 something gear heads and I'd expect youd get something in the middle that doesn't often vote.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sighence posted:

I'm prepared to feel dumb about this, but shouldn't that state graph have each state add up to 100% anyway? Any resident of any state either was or was not born there and yet no state is a rounding error from it.

Basically I really don't know how 86% of a population was born elsewhere but also half of that same population was born in Nevada and still there. I could see foreign immigration making up a difference if 100% wasn't reached but this poll accounts for 133% of Nevada's population somehow.
The state is made up of 100 parts. 86 parts were born elsewhere.

14 parts were born in state. However, those 14 parts were part of a generation that totalled 29 parts. 15 parts moved away. If they were still there, the state would be made up of 115 parts and the percentage of out-of-staters would decrease.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"Cereals, food" is probably cause their source on cereal use gave breakdowns of food use vs industrial use of cereals. Its obvious it should be cereals being eaten in context, but then who are we to say what's really obvious in context because the title lists extra years with a note saying those extra years weren't included.

E. Wait they are there and it's missing dividing lines as well as text? This chart is like an onion, man.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its the bad graph equivalent of the intro-event-failure-montage-event-success action movie structure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The WSJ is just an edited blog at this point and you can find looney toons from both side of the spectrum on there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lord Hydronium posted:

Ah, thanks, that makes more sense.

Still confused about South Dakota, though.
I have a book for just such an occasion for some reason.

It might be the edge case where if you are the resident of SD with a concealed carry permit from another state, you are not authorized to conceal carry in SD unless you get a SD ccp?

There's a reason I have a pamphlet and not a chart.

e. its not the only one with that edge case but the only one missing its own reciprocity so I'm going to change my answer to the worst chart instead of bad chart.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Dec 16, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's remarkably comprehendable if you speak the language, compared to a lot of lean infographics that could only have been made on thousands of dollars of cocaine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's more like it.

Pyroi posted:

I have no idea what Scrum is and I'm pretty sure it's something disgusting.
Everything can and must be related back to football. Scrum is used to evoke the chaos of a football play (yes I know its originally rugby but it gets a lot of use in american football coverage for whatever reason) where as any individual on the field you don't know how well the play is going until afterword and you can look at the yards gained. After a set of such plays, its then useful for everyone to go back and watch the game tapes to analyse whether the yards gained/yards lost were due to prevailing conditions or due to personal execution. If yards were gained due to personal execution, hooray time to standardize that action. If yards were lost due to persona execution, time to try something new. If its just prevailing conditions causing noise you ignore it.

If you'll excuse me I'll be out of pocket jerking off working from home.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Management systems are cargo culting something that worked once somewhere else and the slavish adherence to jargon is typical of that. But if you're lucky, focus is put on the bits about applying the scientific method to work practices and project management. So to that point, a scrum attitude or whatever the gently caress they are calling it these days is going to be one of the more useful takeaways from your million dollar consulting bill.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finally, a type of bar chart I can read whether I am getting a swirley, pinned to the table getting my lunch money stolen, or the rare occasions I can stand straight up without being bullied.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I might be completely off base because its a vector for some reason, but based on the lines going dashed to the left it seems to be the breakpoint of maximizing satisfaction with limited time available to invest. So you can half rear end delighters by taking advantage of its natural satisfying and that exponential zone, you use that time saved to make the expected bits hit expectations. And you just need to hit it right in the middle with the stuff inbetween.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dreddout posted:

What should I major in if I want to be paid disgusting amounts of money to draw graphs?
A well connected family and an executive MBA.

A normal MBA on top of a business or communications undergrad will tell you more than you'd ever want to know about drawing bad graphs but no one will pay you for them unless you start sneaking them into the crema.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's the only context where a radar graph makes sense, yeah.
Its still arguably a whimsical line or bar graph at that point. It gets loved or hated for simple comparisons because area contained by a shape is a simple but occasionally misleading presentation compared to area under a line or bar area.

Radar's full use of features is when the measured variables are related. For example to show certain series have a zero sum relationship by opposing the related measures. Or there's weak relations between neighbors, for example showing impact of spreading funding where measure is normalized by marginal utility. A data set perfect for a radar in that case is also kind of a unicorn and all I can really do is dork out and point at Armored Core where a radar is strangely useful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Antti posted:

That book is apparently meant to be an authority of some sort. Please at least tell me that graph is presented in the book as a joke.
Management books take really conversational and chummy tones so its probably 1 part trying to communicate an actual idea tempered with 1 part tongue firmly in cheek.

Count Roland posted:

I actually really like these, but I'd like them a lot more if I thought they were drawn according to any sort of logical system for all those shapes.
I think the distance between lines is meant to be how close or far two parties are from agreeing to every point of a discussion at a given point in time. So diversion is farther away from compromise and tightening is getting closer to compromise.

catfry posted:

I think it might be the original graphic, "enhanced" with some less serious examples.
That makes sense for some of the loonier examples. For example the two without arrows on the paths are a bit out of place in tone even with the rest.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Mar 7, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I take it back, its an authoritative management book because its looney and people probably describe it as "it says what international managers are really thinking," and partly because of the ink blot effect where white people can still look at it and say, yep just like those Australians to be all thanks mate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pitfalls: autism

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

Making it :ducksiren: THREE DIMENSIONAL :ducksiren: makes it kind of a pain to measure or estimate angles.
Its the cloud, the angles can be as big or as small as you need.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Avoiding touching the weird version checks was just a bonus of going to 10, the official line is "you have to fix your own homegrown if the version checking goes weird you idiots" and I think there was the normal internal branding discussion where a stoned marketing team writes a powerpoint on why this happens to be the correct name because reasons.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zamujasa posted:

On-topic:

There's probably some context that makes this make sense but on its face this graph just seems totally useless.
Not to specifically legitimize economic graphs which range from nice ideas to wait-what, but if we get hassle topic specific graphs I'm going to have to dropping in engineering lookup charts which are amazingly dense and awful.

One of the more universally useful and easy to read

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Brute Squad posted:

Classical Thermodynamics. Tells you some thermo properties of moist air given wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures. Looks like it combines what would be 4 tables into 1 graph.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Been about a decade since I've done that kind of thermo.
You remember right. There's a bunch of useful empirical equations or just corrections for air that use humidity ratio or whatnot with dry air properties to calculate or approximate the actual wet air properties and you bootstrap the process with a psychrometric chart.

Wet bulb and dry bulb are so named because the old MacGyver analytic method to specify air is to take the temperature with a thermometer, and then wrap the thermometer bulb with a thin wicking piece of cloth. The water in the cloth evaporates and cools down the thermometer and when you hit equilibrium you read it and that's the wet bulb.

Depending what you would call an independent table (since you just need to find a state point out of any 2 properties) you missed one. You can get dew point out of this thing too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So it's a good graph, just not for a layperson.
Depends on your chart philosophy. The point of any chart is to make sense of stuff at a glance. So because phone apps/wolfram alpha/info tech in general makes table lookup of values easy, a lookup chart that takes an instruction manual starts looking outdated. Its like slide rules, physical logarithmic methods are beautiful but have no place outside of a hobby.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jaguars! posted:

Another lookup chart, this one is for sizing drainage pipes. Apparently pipemakers would have books of these showing the qualities of each size and type of pipe they made. Try making a table of a bunch of these:

Unless you mean a man-readable table, pipe sizing is done by computer now. Not least of all because its an algorithmic process where you're going to be going back and forth to that chart a dozen times. Often you even download a handy definition table from a vendor and plug it in.

The correct criticism is our industry's going to collapse when Skynet takes over and it won't even need to fire a nuke, just turn off all the computers :tinfoil:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No correlation factor footnote is suspicious. That's the sort of grouping that often looks whizzbang but statistically points toward weak association at best.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I warned you about 3D visualization, bro. I told you, dog!
https://twitter.com/crackerfactor/status/859103701881040898
As a spreadsheet fetishist I can't wait to live inside the data but they better give the option of going directly into the spreadsheet instead of this planets bullshit..

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strudel Man posted:

What could they possibly have been thinking?

I always knew jerking off was valuable exercise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its a statement about the circles representing natural membranes away from Toblerone Triangular.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powered Descent posted:

Not going to disagree on the ugliness factor, but that's actually a map, not a graph. It looks to be a straight-up equirectangular projection. :eng101:
Maps are graphs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr. Fix It posted:

h/t lifehacker
Somehow still better than the food pyramid.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not great, but control charts often include a chart of the deviations because even though it's encoded in stuff like control limits or error bars, sometimes seeing a deviation in graphical form next to process values can give some extra oomph to your ahas.

Makes more sense for control charting than a couple individual statistics. But that kids got a future in management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Life.jpg