Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've put together some furniture where I would've appreciated 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe a few yellows too, but no greens.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

When LEAN and Agile loves each other very much...

It all makes perfect sense now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Put that on accidental aRt.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ireland is far north enough that there is some distortion from the Mercator projection, but I don't know if that's enough to explain that particular oddity.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That explains everything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Also, Canada is highlighted...despite not being mentioned at all.

You can't be sure that they know Canada is a separate country, after all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cross-posting from the blessed pics thread:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Credibility intervals are a sort of Bayesian analog to frequentist confidence intervals (but with respect to the posterior distribution, not the sampling distribution).

More pertinently, credible intervals actually are what everyone wants confidence intervals to be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Every day I'm Hufferin.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Should've made it yellow.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

From Junk Charts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

All we need to do is get the QAnons to fight the Sovereign Citizens. No matter who loses, we all win!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If there's a max password length I just assume that it's because they're storing plain text.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I suspect they just truncated the decimals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

evobatman posted:

It looks like this graphic (and IAFD) includes only "movies", as in titles that are published on DVD. It doesn't seem to include online work for websites such as Brazzers, Bangbus, DDF and so on, and I'm gonna guess that's a much much bigger market both in jobs and consumption.

It's probably a lot harder to get data on those.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The forum software can hiccup when someone makes a post, which can get it in that state.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why does that one arrow go back?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Today I learned it's possible to plagiarize yourself.

I hate that this is called plagiarism, but it's absolutely something that an academic can get in trouble for. When you publish a paper, you generally have to turn the copyright over to the journal that accepts it so that they can distribute it without having to get your signature on innumerable forms. If you then turn around and copy a substantial amount of text from that paper and publish it in a different journal, then that can become an issue.

The solution is to completely scrap the journal system and replace it with something sane, but until then, we have to worry about this poo poo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I think I once ran across a paper where someone did a rigorous mathematical analysis of the predator-prey dynamics among vampires and humans as shown in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If I recall correctly, the town was a pretty feasible ecosystem, mathematically speaking.

Vampire Ecology in the Jossverse

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The death penalty in Texas really shouldn't be described by a smiling brown-skinned person.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Which is weird, because he's a very legit scientist. He's just completely unreliable when he's talking about anything outside of his research area.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm 5.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Aren't the reviews anonymous?

Yes, but it's often not all that hard to tell who they are either due to their writing style or because they suggest that you cite a bunch of their work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I was just coming here to post this. What the actual gently caress?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Raldikuk posted:

Hmmm yes, data science is very useful and easy to learn; but statistics and mathematics aren't useful and need to be ignored. Makes perfect sense.

Statistical programming is easier to learn and more useful than statistics, but not as much as data science is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not a graph but I still feel it should belong here.

It's not even a particularly difficult optimization problem. The solution follows almost immediately from the principle of optimality.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The wing ordering problem can be solved with dynamic programming. To order n wings, you need to know the cheapest combination of n - k wings and k wings for all k in [0, n/2], so the solution should scale polynomially in n.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lysidas posted:

e: also by "in NP", I assume you mean "NP-hard" -- this is an optimization problem, but the decision version ("can you order n wings for less than $k?") is in P and therefore isn't NP-hard.

We think.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/realwokieleaks/status/1057798810804645893

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

What are the best sources of really in depth journalism? I already read the Economist and like it but I really want more of the same quality or better.

Vox is somewhat variable in quality, but their best articles are very good. They're one of the best sources I've seen for health reporting.

Bloomberg didn't make the chart for whatever reason, but their long-form reporting is incredibly solid. They just don't really do a lot of it.

Edit: That's not the latest version of that particular graphic. Here's an updated one:

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Nov 6, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

So uh no ones gonna comment on the 4 half naked guys sitting in a kiddie pool playing card games in their hong kong mcmansion?

Put some axes on it and we'll see.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Apologies if this is a repeat post, I got flashbacks to the civil service

https://twitter.com/JasonHazeley/status/842036858217484289

That's amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If for some reason you only need to know what day of the week a given date falls on, that's not a bad way to present a calendar.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That doesn't count cause it's intentional (I hope).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/3rdreviewer/status/840266678076350464

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Halberds don't kill people. People do.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

All the slices are the same color too, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I can’t find my preferred explanation of why the NPS math is bad right now, but this one looks decent: http://businessoverbroadway.com/2018/05/07/data-science-reveals-three-problems-with-the-nps-dogma/

E: this is the one I’ve found best explains the terrible numerics: https://blog.usejournal.com/net-promoter-score-considered-harmful-and-what-ux-professionals-can-do-about-it-fe7a132f4430

quote:

This is what Kate Rutter calls Analytics Theatre. Creating dramatic swings in numbers for the sake of drama, but not because they help us make our products or services better.

This is fantastic and a name that we badly need.