Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm the near-random assignment of decision, circumstance and result icons to each item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

This one is amazing. It's not actually doing anything wrong, but that's a very odd selection of metrics to show in a single graph and a very unusual way of presenting each of them.

It's perfectly readable if you make the effort. I can tell, for example, that the vast majority of bowling is done after noon, with a peak of about 7pm, and that bowling's popularity has remained constant. But still... :psyduck:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Besesoth posted:

But the screenshot clearly shows Australia.

But the name "Australia" would make no sense now that it's in the northern hemisphere, so clearly it was assigned the new name Ghana to fix that.

Now, fortunately this is only a what-if map. Imagine if they actually plopped the whole continent down on top of Europe like that. They'd have to redo all the stamps and money and stuff to say Ghana.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I like this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s not committing the greatest graphical sins, but gadzooks is it ugly.

Not going to disagree on the ugliness factor, but that's actually a map, not a graph. It looks to be a straight-up equirectangular projection. :eng101:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Dragonwagon posted:

I wonder if theres a great circle you can go around and only cross one country, or even none at all.

I've heard this one described as the longest great circle sea-only voyage possible, Pakistan to Russia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpQwuGueeoA

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

So according to this, file-level encryption will be in decline in 3-5 years. Meanwhile, "secure communications" have been invented, but it will be 3-5 years before it starts growing.

Checks out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Incoming politically-loaded infographic:

I'm the moral upbringing being instilled by the leftist parents, even though an inch above that we're explicitly told that leftists base community on ethics instead of morals, whatever they mean by that.

Oh, and I'm also the 91% of rightists that are in favor of war. Just, you know, "war" in general. If there's a war on somewhere, I think that's great!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

A nice simple awful graph from the cursed images thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Garrand posted:

lol, looks like a bad crop job

https://twitter.com/alexbremin/status/993171555088773120

Well, that explains why the numbers were jumping around so much. Still doesn't really explain the scale.

It's bitcoins, just thank your lucky stars it didn't use a log scale for no reason. Accidentally using modulo-10-million arithmetic is pretty low on the list of bitcoiner data visualization sins.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I want to ask Angela Lansbury about Hufferin.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zereth posted:

Also I'm not sure how people decided a currency which keeps a log of every transaction ever made with the currency is good for illegal poo poo like buying drugs.

Well you see, unlike a bank, there's no one in charge of it to kick them out when they start doing stupid illegal things, so merrily onward they go.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Theris posted:

This sounds reasonable. The peak takes off during the early smartphone era when everyone started having a lovely camera on them, then the drop kicks in around the time that even cheap phones were getting decent cameras.

https://xkcd.com/1235/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

https://twitter.com/CombatCavScout/status/1032276519161192448

"a powerpoint slide, to rival the gods" -unnamed staff officer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God help me but I easily comprehended this chart.

I can't, but then I've been educated stupid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As found on TWITTER, no less!

Today I learned it's possible to plagiarize yourself.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If the humans are eating turkeys, we might get one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotka%E2%80%93Volterra_equations

I think I once ran across a paper where someone did a rigorous mathematical analysis of the predator-prey dynamics among vampires and humans as shown in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If I recall correctly, the town was a pretty feasible ecosystem, mathematically speaking.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Randomly encountered while on a Wikipedia binge of Cold War espionage stories:

Source.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Red Metal posted:

The scale is logarithmic, so a -2 is about 2.5 times brighter than a -1, and 6.26 times brighter than a 0

I grew up as a space nerd so I ran across this concept long before the more usual definition of an "order of magnitude".

In sixth grade or so, when the math teacher tried to tell us that an order of magnitude was a factor of ten, I straight-up argued with him that no, that's wrong, it's a factor of 2.5. He'd never heard of astronomical magnitudes and had no idea what I was talking about, so we left class that day with each of us thinking the other was crazy. :buddy:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It Came From C-SPAM:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

First Law of Auto-robotics: A self driving car must not injure a dog or cat, or through inaction allow a dog or cat to come to harm.
Second Law: Save the humans, I guess, if you feel like it. (But it's fun to watch the fat ones ricochet off the hood. Just sayin'.)
Third Law: Strollers are worth extra points, aim for them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

That's the only way SC becomes a purple state.

:golfclap:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TinTower posted:

You get a partridge on all twelve days.
Two turtle doves on the last eleven.
Three french hens on the last ten.

And so on.

You get 184 birds, 40 rings, and 140 people, including 66 members of the aristocracy.

And also assorted cruft that comes with all of it, like 12 trees and sufficient cows* to occupy all 40 maids.

* Note: the cows might actually be goats, or some other milk-producer. It's barely possible they're almonds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zogo posted:

The Moon should be a state.

I propose that it be named Up Dakota.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shockingly, a full 97% of survey respondents have taken this survey (margin of error ±5%).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

One of my favorite flag confusion anecdotes is now more than ten years old. During Obama's first year in office, he gave a speech:

Certain elements of the right-wing media looked at this and went nuts.

Bob Grant posted:

I don't know the answer to this one, but what is that flag that Obama's been standing in front of that looks like an American flag, but instead of having the field of 50 stars representing the 50 states, there's a circle? Would someone please tell me what that is? Is the circle --
But really folks, did you notice Obama is not content with just having several American flags, plain old American flags with the 50 states represented by 50 stars? He has the "O" flag. And that's what that "O" is. That's what that "O" is. Just like he did with the plane he was using. He had the flag painted over, and the "O" for Obama. Now, these are symptom -- these things are symptomatic of a person who would like to be a potentate -- a dictator. And I really see this in this man.

The flag in question is the state flag of Ohio. Obama happened to be giving the speech in Toledo.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2008/10/16/radio-host-bob-grant-asserted-that-obama-create/145712

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

I'm the mirrored text.

Quoth Wiki:

Illinois Secretary of State Sharon Tyndale spearheaded the drive to create a third state seal for Illinois. In 1867, he asked State Senator Allen C. Fuller to introduce legislation requiring a new seal, and suggested to Fuller that the words of the state motto be reversed, from "State Sovereignty, National Union", to "National Union, State Sovereignty". However, the bill passed by the legislature on March 7, 1867 kept the original wording. Despite declining his suggestion, the legislature nonetheless entrusted Tyndale with designing the new seal. And Tyndale managed to (literally) twist the legislature's intent; he kept the words in the correct order on the banner, but the banner twists, so the word "Sovereignty" is upside down, arguably making it less readable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_seal_of_Illinois

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

From a vendor presentation.

Neat, it's self-redacting. What is the offending IP address? No one knows...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tag yourself, I'm the guy standing directly behind a horse that's about to be startled by an incredibly loud noise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Memento posted:

"Continents" is an arbitrary word with zero agreed-upon definition. Depending on where you went to school, there are four, five, six or seven continents. PNG either is or isn't part of Australasia, and New Zealand either is or isn't part of Australasia as well. North and South America are a single continent in some school systems. It's a shambles, but it's never been hammered out because the term isn't super useful to geologists and geographers.

Quoting myself from way back in the mists of time...

Powered Descent posted:

"Continent" is a social construct rooted in nineteenth-century thinking. In fact there is greater variation within the so-called continents than there is between them. The more enlightened among us prefer to use less emotionally-charged terms, such as "geological community" or "cratonicity".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I've always hated those arbitrary, unit-less numeric scales.

Rate my experience from one to ten? Well, it was perfectly ordinary, just like every other time I've made a similar [call, purchase, whatever], so I'll say five, I guess? Oops, turns out the people collecting the numbers think that means you hated it with burning passion.

I've never understood that ten-point "pain scale" either. I get that bigger number = more ouch, but what distinguishes, say, a six from a seven? Can people really quantify it with that level of precision (scaled to some maximum "ten" that's going to be different for everyone anyway) while they're in agony?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Spoeank posted:

We use NPS scores for our customer service surveys and they're dumb as hell because ours is:
10, 9 = great! Promoter, 1 in the numerator, 1 in the denominator
8, 7 = neutral. 0 in the numerator, 1 in the denominator
6 and below = detractor. -1 in the numerator, 1 in the denominator.

So neutral is bad. It's peak corporate bullshit.

What happens if you get a 0 in the denominator? :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Armacham posted:

or escaping, so they can get more food

Or shooting down the Red Baron in their Sopwith Camel.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I sometimes wish polls would ask for which candidate you dislike the most. An option for "Anyone but _____." Or perhaps a less forceful "Well, I could live with any of them but I really hope _____ doesn't come out on top because they're the worst of the lot."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

This is why all dates should be in ISO 8601 format. YYYY-MM-DD for the win.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Trabant posted:

I name all my file revisions by including the number of seconds elapsed since 00:00:00.000 January 1st, 1904.

Same except 1970.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Other field: Wow, we do strange things to a graph axis.
Astronomy: hold my beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ran across a page with some hideously bad information about password strength, but the real crime here is the presentation of the (laughably wrong) data.

https://www.betterbuys.com/estimating-password-cracking-times/

Context: computers have gotten faster as the years go by, so the amount of time it would take to brute-force a particular password has correspondingly dropped. Let's see, how best to convey that to the reader...

I'm speechless.