Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Am I dumb? I don't really get this:

(source)

It's supposed to be consequentially, so politics would be oppression->revolution->reform->suppression->war and so on (instead of politics being like 18% oppression, revolution, reform and suppression each and the rest being war, as I originally read it)

Speaking as a historian, this is really dumb though (not that you'd have to be a historian to realise this)

The books in the top left corner have the cobwebs on them because the author of this "graph" never bothered to actually read them, I'm guessing

e: Oh God, from this dude's blog comes another one:

:negative:

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 23:54 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Joke's on HP, I only print my documents in blood

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Ah yes, I remember how domestic violence didn't exist before 1932

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Horses cannot talk, and probably would not be allowed in bars for fire safety reasons. Be serious.

Are horses flammable or why would they be a fire hazard?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Note: figures for 1980 and 1990 are not shown for the sake of clarity

Also, only 42% of my diet consist of food? poo poo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

shut the gently caress up and never speak again, you freak. you weirdo. you piece of poo poo. gently caress you. non-black licorice is literally a toxic slurpee you sack of poo poo. gently caress!

there is only one true licorice and it burns your tongue and grinds the skin off your gums. anything less than 20% ammonium chloride is for babies and bunnies. you might as well put pickled jalapenos on your food like a basic dadbod normcore fartlord.

In Germany licorice gets more popular and people get more and more invested in it the more north you get, it's no wonder a Dane would go off the rails like this :p

Whereas we in the south literally call it “bear poo poo“ and view it as a weird sweet for children with a broken palate, how does that make you feel? :grin:

e: for real though, I used to date a girl from Kiel and she was always raving about licorice and how we in the south don't know what's good for us but when she made me taste some it was merely... ok?

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Mar 18, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Does anyone know where the original one (the 'Christian dark ages' one, not the 'hyper-war' one) was initially posted? I'd like to see how people reacted to that turd.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Thanks!

Paladinus posted:

Reddit, I want to say. It's a meme in r/badhistory.

And I somehow hadn't visited this subreddit before, so thank you too :)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Moose_Bigelow/status/846480250112397312

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

government get out reeeeeeeee

I'm probably outing myself as super behind the times or something here, but where does this “reeeeeee“ thing come from? Because the only thing I can think of are those dudes with bombs for a head in serious sam

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Didn't try and graph NT, XP or Vista, smh

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Personally I'm more interested in the difference between real anarchy and “true“ anarchy

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Not all of them - France distinguishes between “Overseas Departments“ and “Overseas Territories“. I dunno exactly what the legal differences are, but the former are considered part of France and in extension the European Union proper, whereas the latter (e.g. St Pierre et Miquelon off the coast of Newfoundland or French Polynesia) aren't. Mayotte was a territory until recently, when they decided in a referendum to upgrade to a department.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

My mum told me how her mother would get inspired during an Italy vacation in the early 70s and try to make this exotic dish named "pizza" when they got back home to Bavaria. Apparently it was a proper disaster and my mum wouldn't realise how awesome pizza is for the next ten years or so :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This is a wonderful video, but I totally can't figure out that lady's accent. It sounds weirdly southern to my (admittedly non-American) ears, but then she's presumably Canadian, so :shrug: do you know where she's from?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/959168722433867776

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

lmao @ the STEM fields

I'm pretty surprised by English, the Classics and Religion being that high up on the list, tho

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Sulphagnist posted:

And this all is why party registration is a rubbish metric because to have party registration you need to be engaged in politics enough to care about primary elections.

It's often used as a lazy short-hand for political beliefs instead of actually researching political beliefs.

True, but I'm looking at the article the data is from and the author says that altogether 76.6% of his sample of 8,688 professors from 51 colleges all over the US were registered with a political party or as independent, so at least for his focus group of tenured, PhD-holding professors at leading liberal arts colleges his results should be representative.

The author also seems to be on the "They're discriminating against us by not employing racist nutcases! :qq:" side (fake edit: and after looking at his personal blog: boy, is he ever) and in the article's text deliberately tries to make the Republican numbers appear even lower, so keep that in mind I guess.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

sample size: 5100 at a random college in new york

communications majors interviewed: 2700

lmao

You might wanna read that again, the study looked at ~8,700 tenured professors in 51 colleges all over the US, ~5,100 of whom were registered with either the Democrats or the GOP, and of those registered professors 108 taught communications

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah they only have five times as many Democrats

tbf that study covers only those colleges the author deemed to be "elite" and full of the dreaded ~liberal slant~, I shudder to think what the engineering department in your random state university in Bumfuck, Alabama looks like

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Finally someone’s asking the real questions!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Does that graph assume that humans who’ve turned into turkeys won’t turn back into humans ever again?

I think it does, actually. There are probably a bunch of poor sods who already have switched species multiple times by day 10.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Roblo posted:

Awesome thanks. Some really interesting stuff in there. Crazy how long there was without...a lot happening. Some of the really early stuff is super interesting, really obvious where the whole 'cradle of human civilization" thing comes from. Loads going on at the end of the med for a looooong time.

As was said, the archaelogical records as well as the intensity of historical research are pretty unevenly spread out. We know a ton about ancient Egyptians, Greeks or Romans because a) they wrote a lot of stuff down, b) their written sources got preserved relatively well throughout the centuries and c) research into them generates much more public attention (i.e. funds) than pretty much everything else as far as the classical era and anything before that is concerned. We know a good amount about virtually every aspect of Roman history, and additional scholarship is generated every year, whereas there seem to have been very large and complex civilisations throughout the Amazon Basin that were wiped out entirely in the decades after first contact with the Europeans, and we know virtually nothing about them other than that they (probably) existed. The only sign of them ever being there are terra preta, a specific variety of soil that doesn't appear naturally, a handful of geoglyphs and the fact that some hunter-and-gatherer tribes in the area exhibit a kind of social hierarchy that we only know from settled and agricultural societies, which implies that something like that possibly used to exist there. But other than that, there is nothing. Or take the Tollense valley battlefield: This was a bronze age battle fought about 3,300 years ago in what is today NE Germany. Up to 5,000 people may have participated in it, which would have made it the largest battle of the entire era worldwide. But here again we only know that there used to be a large battle (and we only know because an amateur archaeologist spent a nice sunny day rafting down the river when he saw something strange, which turned out to be a humerus with an arrowhead embedded in it). Who fought it? Why? We have no idea, even though the scale of the battle implies that civilisation in this time and area was much more advanced than formerly believed, and there probably were even central governments able to muster armies several thousand strong, feed and supply them via what must have been a complex logistical chain, brief them and send them to wherever they were supposed to fight. But we can't say anything more other than that they probably existed. But where? What languages did they speak, how was their society structured, in what gods did they believe? We don't know and probably never will.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/lkatzenberg/status/1055560700108701697?s=21

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

If the percentage of homeless people in Germany and the US is roughly equal, then why are they so much more visible in the latter? Is it because of less social housing, or maybe simply because the weather is better? Also what's up with the high numbers for Australia and New Zealand?

(This would actually fit better in the dedicated maps thread over in D&D :ssh:)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

What is your reference for "visibility"? I'm asking because I can go to the central shopping district and see a worrying amount of homeless just sitting around, not even looking at spots warmed by air HVAC exhausts or that entrance to a parking garage that's basically a greenhouse etc.

It's true that homeless sitting out in the open is definitely a thing here too (and it sure seems that their number is rising), but otoh things like in the video below are pretty much unheard of in Germany. My perception of the US is that this isn't necessarily something all that extraordinary - maybe in scale, but not in nature. But I admit that I might be off, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhy3zI3wvAo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

:hmmyes:

(Also: Good Lord, how many news anchors does ABC need?)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

It's from a bonkers anthropology paper that tries to argue that warm climate = high degree of promiscuity = lots of nasal vowels in your languages (because according to the authors being sexually active means opening your mouth more, I poo poo you not)

This is the worst scatter plot I've ever seen:

Check out the wildly unequal distribution of languages (30 warm-climate languages vs only three cold-climate ones) they decided to look at, and even then all they managed to come up with was a basically random pattern :v:

The worst part? The paper was subjected to peer review and still got published in a highly distinguished journal, probably because the main author is a big name in cultural anthropology and apparently has reached the point where he can poo poo out whatever he wants to and it still gets published.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

What is the name of this paper?

Ember, C., & Ember, M. (2007). Climate, Econiche, and Sexuality: Influences on Sonority in Language. American Anthropologist, 109(1), new series, 180-185

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Chocolate-covered raisins are amazing, y‘all don’t know what you’re talking about

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

I still think the Mozambique flag wins the most badass flag award.

This kind of got lost at the bottom of the last page. I hadn't heard of the Pocatello flag, holy poo poo it was awful

Wasn’t there an old game developer whose logo kinda looked like that?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, it was EA and Sierra I was thinking of, cheers! :)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

lmao

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I'm the punk/skin who is also a regular in a church youth group

Today that sounds weird, but for non-conformist young people in the GDR attaching themselves to the Church was actually a good way to give themselves some sort of institutional safety net, meet potentially like-minded people and enjoy other perks offered by the Church like rooms for young people to hang out or for your band to practise. Actually being Christian often wasn’t a prerequisite, as the Church was generally speaking happy to support people that couldn’t expect to receive anything but mistrust by the state.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Everybody always forgets about Atlantis, Lemuria and Mu :colbert:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This chart is a masterpiece, drop to your knees and weep for you shan't see its like ever again (hopefully)

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1100183332476907521

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Doritos and Pringles over Kettle and Tyrell‘s? :psyduck:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Meanwhile with everyone driving around super safe-for-the-driver tanks pedestrian deaths are skyrocketing :(

Do you mean absolutely or relatively? I looked at the data for Germany and at least there fatal accidents have been decreasing across the board in all manners of traffic participation (8,549 total traffic-related deaths in 1997 vs 3,180 in 2017). It might be though that the percentage of killed pedestrians is higher than it used to be with 13,4% in 1997 and 15,2% twenty years later, but that might also be a statistical fluke (I'm on mobile and can't be arsed to calculate the percentages for the last twenty years right now :v:)

I think that besides improved car safety one of the main reasons for the strong decline of traffic accidents is also that a) alcohol consumption is declining and b) DUIs have stopped being a minor "boys will be boys" infraction and often see harsh sentences instead. In 1997, 1,447 people died due to an alcohol-related accident which accounted for almost 17% of all traffic deaths. By 2017, that number had shrunk to 231 (7,3%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I guess they really look forward to Hitler's 180th birthday