Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Count Roland posted:

The first one makes sense?

The second one is great though.

I don't think the second one is meant to be a graph, just a design to make the words stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Is it, though? There's no scale on the y axis. For all we know, page 69 is only marginally nicer than the rest.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

I'm flosofl's self-loathing.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

All the slices of that pizza are the same size and there's several data points assigned to each of them. Why the hell would you think it was meant to be a pie chart?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Admittedly, for comedic effect, it is also implied that all that is bad is anime, which is not true. There are at least four bad things that are not anime.

Yeah, definitely more than four.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I like that it's a graph about supercomputers, and whoever made it couldn't push his computer to render more than like six colors.

I think it's done that way so that a black and white version would still be readable.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Straight lines on a Mercator map are rhumb lines, not great circles, so yeah, that’s going on.

But I still get a bigger sector for the U.S. than for Cuba.

Also, the Bahamas should screen significant portions of Cuba.

I probably should have used the same colours as the original, but I didn’t. So sue me.

e: Okay, so the problem here is that Google Earth uses rhumb lines for the sides of ground‐level polygons because their programmers were dropped on their heads as infants.

Pretty sure a single line works properly though.

You can see how Canada blocks most of the US aside from half of Florida.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

jeebus bob posted:

Pretty sure you don't understand the issue.

What do you mean?

Platystemon used the ground-level polygon tool which gave him rhumb lines. I used the line tool which (I assume) goes along a great circle, so it actually shows how the people making the graph got their results.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if theres a great circle you can go around and only cross one country, or even none at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

“Area of uncontrollable lust” is a good name for something.

Your mother's bedroom.