Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I love the Psychology stats that are arranged like a 2000 Florida ballot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yes. But it won't matter since you'd be using that same "cup" for the other ingredients as well. The proportions are correct which is the important thing. I worked in bakeries from 16 to 19. You're using your own set of cups, tbs, tsp, etc then even if you wind up with more or less is still going to be the same.

This is not going to work if the recipe ever uses an absolute measure of any other ingredient.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Amazing. Do you know the context in which/by whom this was presented?

There was a Senate fact-finding session today on extra-judicial killings. One of the Senators, Alan Peter Cayetano, who was the running mate of current President Rodrigo Duterte, used this graph to say that under the previous administration, murder/homicide averaged at 35 per day, compared to just 20/day under the Duterte administration.

He, of course, arrived at the figure of 20/day by taking 681 murders reported and dividing it by the 34 days since the new President has taken office.

Facebook video from CNN Philippines: https://www.facebook.com/CNNPhilippines/videos/1766235310283027/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A "matrix" of leaders and personalities behind the Philippine drug trade:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I'm going insane. Why would you not order that by month at the very least?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

Yes, that's why I agreed that I might have misjudged the whole thing :confused:

I feel like for this one context matters a bit more, there's nothing wrong with the graph itself but if it was used to show how much better Duterte is because he spends more on infrastructure it would in my opinion be disingenuous to compare the theoretical budget of his first year as president to the average spending across the whole presidency of others.

That's exactly how it was used, and why I brought it up. It was one slide in an entire presentation laying out the Duterte administration's infrastructure plans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mini Metro DLC lookin' good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That x-axis would make total sense in a game of Civilization :science:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

Nothing will change until Texas flips blue. Then suddenly it'll be super important to reform this antiquated system.

Remember all the "turn Texas blue!" talk last year?

Yeah.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

And at no point did anyone pipe up and say 'Umm. You know we already have a BF2 and the war after WWI was called WWII? What are we going to call the next edition of this game if it successful?'

Battlefield: 2nd Edition?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's a "tight race" in the sense that if Ossoff gets 50%+1 of the vote right now, then he wins outright.

The "goal" was to not have go to into a run-off election.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
WTF is Left Communism? Isn't that just Communism?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Trash Can of Ideology

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This isn't so wrong? Aug 1941 is about when Panzergruppe Guderian gets redeployed to participate in the Battle of Kiev, and it's that series of decisions that eventually delays the advance on Moscow by enough to make it impossible to take the Soviet capital before winter. Typhoon stalls out in Oct-Nov 1941 and in hindsight the war was pretty well decided by then.

D-Day was a big battle and all, but it doesn't really register for the same reason that the Battle of the Bulge didn't register - neither was going to change the outcome of WW2 either way.

It's kind of like Shattered Sword's argument against labeling the Battle of Midway as a "decisive victory": it can't both be that and for Japan to have been hosed from the very beginning by dint of America's industrial might. Most people familiar with the subject accept that even if Nagumo completely destroyed Spruance's fleet in June 1942, that Japan would still have lost anyway under the tonnage of a bajillion Essex-class carriers, so Midway couldn't be "decisive" if Japan's loss was already "preordained" by economic and industrial and logistical forces in place even before the first bomb landed on Pearl Harbor.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/863401376487010304

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sweeperbravo posted:

i'm curious how else would you spell twelve or nanny

People find a way. "would of" instead of "would've" is so common it might as well be an accepted phrasing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/880382116864811009

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Female characters having the same stats is cool ⁊ good game mechanics, but I don’t know that “female characters have a lower strength cap” is the strongest example of sexism.

How about :

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I hate pie charts that don't start from the 12 o'clock position and don't arrange the slices clockwise from largest to smallest

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jaguars! posted:

Why would you reverse the X-axis? :psyduck: what am I not getting about this?

Trying to stir a panic about immigrant takeover of Australia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are they using "pretense" as in "it's just for show"? Like, the screws aren't supposed to do anything?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

I think the bars represent lines of exemption?

Still a terrible way to display the data.

Yes, that's correct. But the decision to make the VAT percentage appear right next to the "number of VAT exemptions" bar is either unintentionally bad design, or deliberately misleading to portray a higher VAT percentage, since this is from a pamphlet by the Department of Finance on the benefits of tax cuts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Woodrow Wilson was a progressive?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what progressive policies did Wilson pass? Income tax was already mentioned

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/938588134408904704

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

patreon is changing their fee structure so that each subscription is processed as a separate transaction and so the subscribers pay the credit card processing fee instead of the creators. this means that a $1 subscription will now cost you $1.37 and Chapo will now cost you $5.50.

they are claiming that this is all about making the platform better for creators and has nothing to do with the $60m funding round they just secured from investors. predictably, this has a ton of people unsubscribing and some of the big creators looking for alternative platforms.

Joementum posted:

It's nuts. They have basically no overhead now and could have literally just leaned back and collected millions on 5% of all subscriptions.

But capital demands growth.

Joementum posted:

Patreon just finished giving a whole bunch of their company away to private investors in exchange for $60m so they can "grow" into..... something? It's not clear why they needed the additional investment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sharp_writing/status/943679623212101632

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Going back a while but it must be said.

Ringo was on Thomas the Tank Engine, therefore Ringo is the best Beatle.

Thomas the Tank Engine is fascist propaganda hth