Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Funnily if 0% was an option, it would also be wrong :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Except you're making the same false assumption I made at the start.

There is no random drawing. The answer is the one you pick.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
E: nvm this leads nowhere and we're agreeing anyways.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well that's knocking, not clapping :colbert:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Medieval Medic posted:

Repeatedly slapping your hand against any other part of your body, say, your thigh for example. Very useful when using your other hand to jerk off during the closing of a Nutcracker play.

But then that is the sound of one hand and whatever piece of adipose tissue you're slapping clapping.

No no no, all these answers are unacceptable.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well the author is called Erik of Graph, so what did you expect.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Sentient Data posted:

Since I was curious, here's an extremely low resolution version of the chart (that easily omits the worst of BTC's offenses). I just grabbed each data point at the start of each quarter, and for JPY I converted it to 1/$value

Stability!

Hahaha.

This just goes to show once again that a graph quickly glanced at isn't worth poo poo and how you can make data show whatever you want as long as you're willing to use the most stupid representations just because they fit your narrative.

I think presenting that kinda garbage as a journalist should be finable :colbert:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah they just chose a completely wrong way to represent their data, but at least the slices seem to be of the right size. Small victories.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Nah its actually a histogram that represents the amount of people having tried pot for 3 different time points. But for some reason it dressed up as a pie chart.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm I now think all graphs should have to be flanked by scantily clad men/women. It would certainly make reading scientific papers more interesting.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:psyduck:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

DarkHorse posted:

LABEL YOUR oh wait

Shiiiiit I can't deal with this :eyepop:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Usual Barb posted:

I want to see people make a song out of a horizontal slice from that chart.

Sweet Louie, tumble whoop dem bitches!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Author name Tyler Durden :jerkbag:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:confused:

Wtf is going on there?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Platystemon posted:

Now for the next mystery, why do metric tonnes exist when “megagram” is the same quantity under a better name?

:aaaaa: how did this name never enter my mind.

I'm so used to kilo, milli, micro, nano etc grams but have never thought of them in the other direction for some reason. Force of habit I guess

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SiKboy posted:

The SI unit is the kiliogram, so technically starting with kilo, taking the prefix off for "gram", then milli and so on is all in the same direction.

True though I just meant I never ventures beyond kilo, rather delved into the micro and nano direction. Even kg are already a rare encounter while working in a biology lab

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm that's not an easy question to answer since enzymes are not sold pure, they are sold suspended in a storage buffer and the quantity is measured in Units (for example for EcoRI, one of the most common restriction enzymes, New England Biolabs defines 1 U as the amount required to digest 1 microgram of Lambda DNA in 1 hour at 37 degrees in a 50 microliter reaction).

I guess you could figure out the weight per U, but that's way to much effort and I'm not sure I could even find all the constants I'd need.

If we just approximate that 1 mL of resuspended enzyme is 1 g, 1 kg of enzyme+storage buffer (at 20 000 U/mL, which is about the standard stock concentration you'd usually buy) is 91 600 $ at catalog price.

For a more expensive enzyme like NotI the same approximation yields 1 128 000 $/kg

Similarly 1 kg of Phusion DNA polymerase in its storage buffer (also from NEB) is approximately 1 695 000 $.

All those prices are based on buying the largest volume offered on their site (since those usually save you about 20%) but not taking into account the preferential prizes labs usually negotiate.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wow, that was way more effort than I was expecting. My 'joke' was that restriction enzymes are worth way, way more than their weight in gold (which is currently around $ 42500 per kg ). Luckily you don't need large volumes of restriction enzymes for experiments.

There are so many reagents we use that are hilariously expensive. When you actually start thinking about the value of the things you handle it gets a bit daunting sometimes.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Rename thread to the loss.xls thread.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah every time there is a new publicised mass shooting they update that article.

Which is just a great way of making their point imo.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"We didn't bother to research it" should become a standard option in all graphs imo.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Classic.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I think people have more of a concept how big a plane is than how big a whale is.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno feels appropriate to the thread and sounds like an origin story to a bunch of the graphs posted here.

"yeah dude that's a cool graph but can you, like, make it into a pie chart? That'd be tubular"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Maybe it's only lead roles?

No "total" slice, 5/7

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Genius!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hahahaha his metrics for corporal punishment are it's depiction in movies and on TV.

quote:

Before 1933, no corporal punishment of wives depicted in Hollywood. 1933 to 1945 portrayed as shocking and unexpected, though not necessarily wrong. It is often justified in the context of the movie, but it is also depicted as the act of an outlaw – illegal but romantic.

We first see corporal discipline of one’s wife (spanking) portrayed in the media as normal, legal, proper, and socially acceptable in 1945, and fertility abruptly rises, and this depiction continues to 1963. whereupon it abruptly, suddenly, and totally stops – and fertility starts falling.

E: poo poo that blog post :stonk: that has to be satire. He swerving from "consent is bad for women, rape good" right into "when men have sex with girls, it's the girls fault". What a find.

E2: lock this man up :gonk:

quote:

If I sleep with several women that is really great. If one of them sleeps with another man that is really bad and I will certainly dump her, probably beat her, and might well kill her. I will be very angry and sad for a very long time.

Also the post right after that talks about him making moonshine. Hmmmm.

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Aug 1, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah we had that one before. It's pretty good.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Read Snigfut posted:

Here's the source for all the graphs I posted. There's a staggering amount of content on there with disappointingly awful graphs between the racist/sexist/antisemitic diatribes, while the amusingly awful graphs are few and far between.

I'm sure whoever put Koko on there thought they were being clever, but the rest of it seems perfectly sincere.

poo poo man, I clicked on that link and immediately saw the little picture of Hitler on the right so ofc I had to click that too.

This dude actually says that Hitler was a jew that persecuted only chrisitians and that all the jews were not killed in the holocaust but shipped across Europe to increase the jew populations :psyduck:

quote:

The worldwide population of jews had been on the decline before he came to power, dropping by 314,641 or 2%, from 15,630,000 in 1924 to 15,315,359 in 1933. Had this trend continued through WWII, there would have been only 15,009,005 jews in the world by 1948, but it was during Hitler's regime that this trend reversed and the population of jews increased by 438,279 or 2.9% to 15,753,638 by 1948. Thus we can conclude that Hitler played a pivotal role in a 4.9% INCREASE in the worldwide population of jews, something that required an ingenious shipment of jews across Europe to protect them from the firebombing that completely destroyed Christian populations in cities like Dresden and Hamburg.

It's precisely because of Hitler's policies, and only because of his policies, that the population of White Christian Israelites in Europe plunged by 12.5%, or 48 million. No other figure in WWII can be accredited with the policies which led to such devastation--not Stalin, Mussolini, Churchill, nor Roosevelt. It was his policies which led to the creation of the current state of Israel, and to the looting by jews of the treasuries of most White Christian Israelite nations, including the US--a process which continues to this very day. The only thing we've gained by pouring $132 billion into the establishment and maintenance of the jewish state in Israel is the enmity of 1.2 billion Muslims and of many other nations around the world, ultimately causing 9-11 and the loss of the rest of our very own Constitutional rights. Germany and Switzerland gained nothing from their payments of reparations to the jews who were purportedly exterminated in the "holocaust".

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
And then you have India.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Powered Descent posted:

From the spaceflight thread:

:ughh:

poo poo man, didn't know the sun had a diameter of like half a light year.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ballsy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Outrail posted:

Didn't Mathew, Mark, Luke, John etc write the bible? SO at best he dictated it. God is illiterate.

That's the new testament, the old one is much older than those 4. It also contains a book full of erotic poems, which must have been an awkward dictation.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like including a graph this stupid in a website for a tutoring service would actually serve to drive people away from said service. I mean if they don't know how graphs work how would anyone expect them to teach kids how to do it?

But it only goes up uP UPup uP UP! That can only be good.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ugh that's like rule number one when you make up numbers to prove your point, always add them up.

I am fascinated by the reckless abandon and ineptitude Fox displays with all their bullshit propaganda.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I remember seeing this one before in this thread, didn't a goon make that to purposefully render the information as unreadable as possible?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's the thing I love about that graph. You can technically use it and find the info you're looking for. It's just way more complicated than it should be.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's just base 10 logarithmic though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The great thing is that it is just a normal scale and all of the data is displayed correctly, only the scale is not suited to this kind of data at all.

Once more the graph is technically correct. But completely unusable.