Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I am more confused by slings bering more sword than gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that diphtongue should have tipped me off that this was from somewhere in the Netherlands.

I actually didn't look into what zoöp even was, I just immediately assumed it was some new weird programming or business thing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Sorry about the awful quality, a colleague just got a CV featuring this masterpiece and I had to take a quick pic.

The y-axis is "professional fluency", the x-axis I assume is meant to read speaking and not sneaking, but was cropped like that in the CV.

We are a goddamn lab, this is for a post-doc scientist position, why would you do this.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Box 1. Simulated outbreaks of influenza with or without disease transmission by Santa Claus: number of infected people per 100 simulations of a population of 10 000 people

The violin plot shows the frequency distribution of the number of infected people in 100 simulations. The three horizontal lines in the plot indicate quartiles. * P < 0.001; n.s., not significant.

Box 2. Numbers of infected people (A) and outbreak size (B) for 100 simulations of measles outbreaks, with or without disease transmission by Santa Claus, in a population of 10 000 people: 95% measles vaccination coverage (children) assumed

* P < 0.001. In panel A, “frequency” is the proportion of simulations with the number of infected people indicated on the lower scale. In panel B, “frequency” is the proportion of simulations of the indicated size: outbreaks with fewer than 150 infected people per 10 000 population were classified as small, those with at least 150 as large outbreaks.

From What would happen if Santa Claus was sick? His impact on communicable disease transmission

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm just impressed they put Hitler and fascism as extreme right tbh.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

TheManWithNoName posted:

Uncle Ben’s Cabin

:pusheen:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Goddamn goons and jokes. Look at the source.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What's the stat that gets thrown around again? Large scale genetics study show that roughly 1 child in 10 is from a different father, rising to something like 1 in 4 for the third kid of a couple.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Platystemon posted:

Figures like that are not representative of the general population.

The key is that the false paternity numbers are high in cases where paternity was tested. People tend to have suspicions before getting testing, so of course the sample is biased.

The way I heard it was that the figure was derived from large scale genetic studies on unrelated things, I really need to try and track down a reference someday to see if there's actually any truth to it.

Also yes, québécois will in general not take kindly to being called French.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
They have their own versions of Disney songs!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Qwertycoatl posted:

I assume each dot is a single respondant to their survey, and there were two employees who been in the job for 12 months. Then they were sorted almost in decreasing order of internet usage because ???

I considered that, but then why and how do you have the outlier points :psyduck:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Presented without comment

Man I had forgotten about this masterpiece

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

HerStuddMuffin posted:

The flu kills an order of magnitude or two more, yearly, without the world freaking out. The coronavirus family causes a respiratory disease colloquially known as the common cold, that’s not my fault.

Combine the two informations and it’s not people like me who are downplaying the infection, it’s the world governments and media who are screaming like crazy about it and trying to create a panic to distract from their local crimes and misdeeds.

So basically, yes, there’s a cold going around in China, and that map makes it perfectly clear. It also makes clear how much bullshit the whole mass hysteria is. I stand by my judgement that it is a good map for showing what it shows.

Sure the flu kills way more, that's because the flu had already spread worldwide. If as many people got sars2 as flu, the former would most probably handily beat the latter in yearly deaths.

We can't stop flu from going global each year for diverse reasons, but it is in our best interest to prevent sars2 from becoming pandemic. Saying it "goes around China" is disingenuous at this point, it has long since left that country and started spreading overseas.

Also as said, sars/sars2 and mers don't cause "the common cold". There is a reason COVID-19 exists, it's the term to designate the disease sars2 engenders.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
No, that one kills the moron's kids :smith:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Governments all over the world have public health and flu shot campaigns every year and all of them are aware of the public health implications flu has. The difference is that we cannot prevent the globalization of flu anymore.

There is a difference between already established diseases and a newly emergent one where we still have a chance to try and contain it before it becomes just another yearly killer. Also once more, covid19 is not just the common cold, just as flu is not a common cold.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Akshually the common cold doesn't have a mortality rate at all because it's a catch-all term that contains various different diseases.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ah yes, it's good that sars just decided to give up on its own without human precautions taken to stop it spreading. It's also good that avian and swine flus just don't do anything, without us having to monitor, vaccinate and cull infected animals.

Really, viral pandemics aren't so bad are they. Maybe we should just ignore them and roll the dice!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Oh my god did they just plot the R0s as proportion of a whole???? Why in the gently caress.

klafbang posted:

Pie charts are good for showing which percentage of pie charts that look like PacMan. It's around 75%.

How about pyramids.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Haschel Cedricson posted:

What's wrong with Uagadou? Burkina Faso has a capital named Ouagadougou; I assume it's a similar etymology.

That spelling comes from the French colonial era, which I guess is the same thing for the Americas. Does this mean that the wizard schools are post-colonial ? Am I putting more thought into this than they did?

From what I can find Ouagadougou doesn't have any link with magic, which the other foreign language words have. It feels very :effort:.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Completely overtaxing the health system with COVID cases would do a lot more than cause a bunch of old people to die.

Ariong posted:

If you genuinely believe that human lives are worth sacrificing in order to avoid an economic downturn, :getout:. Like, why do you want the economy to be good if the economy being good means more people suffer and die? What’s the purpose?

He's the guy from a few pages ago that was telling us all how SARS-CoV-2 is basically just the common cold and everyone is overreacting and it's really no big deal guys !

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Found another one in the wild:

What kind of weird brain do you need to make a line graph out of this?! How did they arrange the x axis?! Why is SARS not at least next to MERS and "Corona" which really should be labelled SARS2 or at the least COVID-19. AAAAAAAh

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Karia posted:

Forget all that. What I want to know is, why is that little section of the infection line leading to the COVID-19 point a different shade of orange than the rest of the line? How do you even do that?

Haha I hadn't noticed. Excel graph retouched in illustrator maybe?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
From the PYF politoons thread

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

HiroProtagonist posted:

I was mostly confused by the fact that over 150% of people responded

Perhaps some sort of ranked preference, or dead people voting was involved

They just asked a loooooooooooot of people !

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Worth reading through the thread, the graphs are amazing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that's pretty par for the course, they get way worse when you h ave more complete ones like http://www.metabolic-pathway.com/fullMap.html or some of these https://www.cellsignal.com/contents/science/cst-pathways/science-pathways

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

as a non biologist the first link here looks way better to me than the MERS chart despite being way bigger and more complicated. the MERS chart has text partially overlapping similarly-colored graphics, a weird mishmash of graphical shading that seems to serve no purpose, lines and text that are poorly-aligned, stuff scrunched together for no apparent reason, etc. the design is :effort: incarnate

Fair point, it's a bit :effort: indeed. I think part of it is also that a lot of the representations used are pretty standard shorthand for biology figures but looking at them again I can see how they are incomprehensible for someone not used to them.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
https://twitter.com/WorkspaceONE/status/940234763742466049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Qwertycoatl posted:

Don't forget the totally incoherent way of determining the alert level:
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1259572964447653892

I love the inclusion of R in that formula, absolutely not a negligible number compared to the number of infections.