Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Besesoth posted:

I feel like they were trying to go for stop signs without realizing that stop signs are octagons.

Holy poo poo, I think you may be on to something. That makes it even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Watt‐hours are dumb, full stop. Why use a unit of power, energy ÷ time, when you’re just going to multiply it by time immediately and cancel out the time unit?

That is a rhetorical question.
I know you meant it as rhetorical but...

Because it *doesn't* cancel it out? It's not Watt per hour (W/h) but Watt hours (Wh) which is a different metric. W/h measures change in power over time. Wh is energy as the product of time and the power consumed for work. It can be converted directly to Joules (1 W = 1 J/s; 1kWh = 3.6 MJ)

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think they shifted it so 2016 is higher up?

I find it interesting that apparently some car crashes (hearses maybe) can result in resurrection according the 2016 axis.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe it's because I'm not from Europe, but I see nothing logical about this at all for a sign you need to take in while having only seconds to register it. It took at least a minutes to figure out *most* of it. Some are guesses I'm pretty confident, some are guesses I'm not, and there's still a couple I have no loving clue.

But this one I got immediately.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stuntman posted:

You're mixing up purebreds and mutts.

Yeah, but I think Lab-mix is referring to "Labradoodle" and things like that. Official crossbreeds recognized by the AKC. They can suffer the same kind of genetic disadvantages as purebreds.

"Mix", I'm guessing is straight-up mutts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I like how the "homosexual male" line double backs on itself in a few places.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahaha. I love it when they do this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The most beautiful thing I have seen. Time to go troll on Facebook.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

That's just base 10 logarithmic though?

Yeah, there's nothing unusual about it. But most people don't understand logarithmic scales.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I wish to know more about this "hyper-war"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This chart is truth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Speaking of infographics that actually give you no added information and in fact obfuscate the information they're meant to present,

I this implying that I should be able to intuit Morse from the shape of the letters? :psyduck:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

They could easily have cut down on the number of symbols per letter by using something other than dots and dashes. Even just incorporating a vertical line would half the length of the signals.

Morse is a binary alphabet by design because of how it's delivered.

How would you differentiate between a horizontal or a vertical dash using a Morse Key?

e: fb :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

:circlefap:

Keep going, I'm so close.

Yes. You are quite the Puppet Master.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

I wish! It would mean that Jeff owes a bomb to someone else, IIRC.

And that would be kinda scary. Someone out there is just loaning nuclear weapons willy-nilly. I mean they gave Jeff, of all people, one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wow.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Should've started the y axis at 36%

But that would be misleading

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

Also the per-capita rate would be vastly more informative (especially on the right, where the regions are not of equal population).

Yeah, I was thinking a per-capita rate over time would be interesting information, but nope. It's information that's not relevant to the message, since there's only one year of data.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stare:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Look, wait, no, enough of this. You're not. You are not actually these abstract concepts.

What are you actually getting at here? I see this a lot lately, and I can't make head nor loving tail of it.

I'm the abstract concept of anger over the personification of abstract concepts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

I've got a tinder date tonight, hopefully she'll be down to try the Korean elastic truth.

No flared (word) base. I wouldn't try if I were you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I started getting angry about how simplistic the American chart was and then... holy poo poo. :aaa:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is the Ur-Chart

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat.

Nope, no agenda here at all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

“Windows 10” I don’t really mind.

Skipping version numbers is mostly harmless. Repeating them is not.

I have no idea what that... whatever-it-is represents.

Its funnel that doesn't fulfill the core function of a funnel.

Also, are those technology beans? Or skittles? Maybe technology cancer cells.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/google-deprecates-octane-javascript-benchmark-because-everyone-is-basically-cheating/

It's not a direct rebuttal of this specific claim. But Google found that everyone was cheating on the Octane Benchmark.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psypop:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

Wierd that a Republican politician would poo poo all over the people around him just for a chance to come out on top.

They all are the same. There's no real difference between the Repubs and the Dems in the long run. They do what's best for their wallets, which means what's best for whatever industry gives them the most money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Now explain why there wasn't a single Democrat who voted in favor of allowing ISPs to sell personal user browsing data to whoever they want.

Because it was a safe vote for them since it wouldn't affect the outcome. And since the Dems couldn't affect it one way or the other, there was probably minimal lobbying (re: money) involved for them

Instead they get the "we stood up to the Man" which plays well back home and helps for re-election.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Republicans in any way. While the Republicans earn my overall hatred, both parties are morally repugnant in my eyes. For the last 20 years or so my votes have all leaned heavily on the calculus of "who will cause the least amount of damage while in office"

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Apr 19, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Synagogues of Satan is a GREAT band name.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

"nintey"
Wisconsin
Diarrhea and tomorrow are less than 11 letters

Pretty sure the letter count is how many letters the wrongly spelled query had, not how many letters the correct spelling contains. At least I hope it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I want to understand this but what?!

I'm the inverted x-axis hurtling backward through time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kennel posted:

hosed up but true.

Why does Scrooge show up in three different places on that tree? Three uncomfortable places.