Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Reptiloids. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iron Chef Nex posted:

I study that stuff professionally, and I have no idea what that plot is trying to say.
Same only in past tense. I understand the theory behind the plot, but this representation warrants 25 years to life of ban from scientific visualisation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It's me. I'm the AU
That's actually perfectly fine, AU is the short form of astronomical unit, which is the standard distance unit when we look at the stellar systems on the whole.

The rest though. :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Of course it's perfectly fine
You think I want to be a non-standard unit of astronomical measurement?
Jeez
Honestly you'd fit place, astronomy is land of units as idiotic as speed of light in feets per nanonsecond (roughly 1, by the way :v:).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Americans are lazy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ikanreed posted:

It's okay, everyone would know that if it starts with a 1, it's tiny.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Is this a graph? I don't know what this is. :magical:

Thanks to SAL Venting about Students
Reported for inline goatse.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ramos posted:

See, if I were to criticize this, I'd first need to know what the gently caress is actually going on within context. And no, I have no idea even with context. Especially with context.
Hmm, now that I see the context, I must say that red and pink 0s are idk what, but rest of it sort of makes sense in the context. Despite that, or in spite of that, it still is a terrible diagram nonetheless.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ramos posted:

Hey, if anyone wants to lay it out in Layman's terms what all is going on on that webpage, I'd be glad to hear about it.
In really layman terms it's failed sociologist talking out of their rear end about pseudoscience. Trying to explain that any further is akin to gazing into the abyss.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ramos posted:

Cool, so there was nothing to actually get.
For physics folks it can be an interesting read to see what's the crazy thing of the week etcetera, but the particular image in question does not even go as far as making complete sense within the framework it attempts to represent, to best of my ability on reading into this inane mess at least. Hence, any attempts to properly engage with the material are an honest disservice to oneself.

You could try asking someone in physics thread to give you a short summary on what exactly that mess is about, or at least on where does it fail, but do not be surprised if a request like that will not be met with enthusiasm, really.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

There is no Y-axis, so how do you know it's truncated though ? Clearly they just didn't make bar heights that are proportional to the actual value.
Abscissa here is the time, and ordinate - the sales.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

I meant a labeled, drawn axis. Not just having something in y. Since there is no scale or anything who's to say it's been cut off.
I see what you mean now, rereading. I'll agree here, I struggle to find enough evidence to say that Y-axis is or may have been truncated, unless this goes down the rabbit hole deep enough to declare three separate Y-axes, with those corresponding to blue seasons being truncated. Hell, even then truncation is not exactly what's happening here, it's a scaling issue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Waiiiiit. I just read on the BBC that apparently in 5 precincts the vote was decided by a coin toss and all of them went to hillary.

:wtc: are you guys even doing over there.

E:

Hahaha
Yea, Clinton "won" Iowa purely thanks to the coin.
https://twitter.com/FernandoPeinado/status/694345745420320768

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aramoro posted:

We at least cut a deck of cards to determine the winner in the UK.
do you pull until someone gets a queen of spades?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

GOONS should really be the x-axis here
It should also be a histogram.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh god I'm sorry I helped bring the derail to this page. :ohdear:

I'm mostly posting to unstick kalstrams' post
Thanks man :patriot: I tried to unstick it myself, but doublepost was just rejected or something? :confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's gamble on people not reading, and bar length is to subtly imply that for elderly it's better here than there given that it's from Belarus news channel.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"Long Play Video Games" are an author-invented category that can mean literally anything, fyi.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Maybe he means watching longplays :v:
I then wonder if someone is selling them. :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think the only thing that fits into that category is Minecraft, and I mean the version where this dude walks to the glitchy edge of the world for charity and it's literally gonna take him 20 years.
I guess there's also this. :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess the idea is to say that of you pick randomly you have either a 50, a 25 or a 25% chance of being right. Thus if you average it out you get 33%?

I dunno I didn't do probability math in ages and something feels off about my answer :shrug:
This is a question of philosophy, itself being a mathematical paradox.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I can clap with one hand easily. :colbert:
We had a guy like that in local theatre. Out of ~15 guys acting in the play, no one was able to pick that up in about 6 months worth of loosely directed attempts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

What? Is it that uncommon of a thing :confused:

You can just clap your fingers against the palm of the same hand.
B-begone h-heathen!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As an astronomy major, I'm silently screaming to 911 operator.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iron Chef Nex posted:

It's better than what we used to have.
It's absolute garbage compared to anything that I had ever use in my bachelor's and master's degree studies. It has no educational value, and is useless for any other purpose.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

Nothing is correct about that graph except the spelling, which is impressive.
In British English it's juniour and seniour.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

British people don't use those terms to label the grades of school though
Neither do they put a "u" letter in either of the words, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo I just found another one in yospos:

Edit: It's from this book apparently, pages 99-102, if anyone wants to waste some time: https://www.google.com/url?url=http...e6vBSpeJY3Uwo3Q (PDF warning). The "Destination" from the sign is on p 119, but it's not very funny.
Dear God.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Japan uses kilometres, so it could have been dictated by Nintendo. Or even just consistency for an app that's going to have to work worldwide.
On an unrelated note, Puerto Rico uses kilometres for distance, whilst using miles per hour for speed limits.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't they also drive on the wrong side of the road? Brilliant stuff.
No, they got that right and drive like the majority of Europe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, are your school buses seriously 30 meters long?
No, they go up to 13 metres.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Broken img now. What was it?
A long-ish flowchart, if I remember correctly. Meanwhile, take a look at this:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Outrail posted:

At least it wasn't liters/gallons per 100km, the most pointless of fuel consumption measurements.
That's a perfectly fine metric.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I think he meant that he can't tell if 8 l/100km is a lot, or a little without a comparison chart. Which is a reader trying to blame his lack of knowledge (albeit understandable) on the indicator.
Thing is he couldn't tell if 10 kilometres per liter is a lot either.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013