Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UFOs/roswell are (were) real, though, they just aren't aliens. Which is why aliens are further up. Much further up depending on what you believe the aliens are doing.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The version I heard was using the electronic roulette terminals in betting shops, you put like £20 on both red and black, and you're almost guaranteed to win it back and now you have a receipt saying you won the money on the betting machine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it was more for like, if you're just selling small-ish amounts of drugs and want a plausible reason for why you're carrying a fair bit of cash.

But not being a drugs haver I don't know the specifics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crossposting

Fair warning the longer you look the worse it gets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why in god's name do you need a tanning booth in loving australia? The sun is right there, you drilled a loving hole in the ozone to get better access to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

System Metternich posted:

(Boston Globe, April 24, 1910)

:hmmyes:

I am the inability of the horse to express S l o w l y gratified desire(impatience)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKMw2it8dQY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't know the lib dems also operated in bolivia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving lol @ centrist daily mail. Literally "the paper that supported hitler until the government told them to stop"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also want to know how the sunday sport stacks up against the national enquirer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The odd thing about the independent sage graph is I thought independent sage was the one that a bunch of scientists set up to bollock the government's sage group for being poo poo and not doing anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the idea that you can conceivably be 100% factually accurate but of zero journalistic value because you're too right or left wing, lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's also not like you can't be alt right, brexiteer, conservative, nationalist, fascist, and right wing populist at the same time?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Anyone who thinks that a donut and a straw have a different number of holes is very confused.

I actually rather like the results because it suggests different conceptions of the construction of shapes. Is a donut a disc with a hole in it, or is it a continuous loop? Is a straw a cylinder with a hole in it, or is it a very wide, very small loop? If it does have a hole, is it one continuous hole or does it have a hole at either end that meet in the middle? Is it different on a donut because the distance between the two ends of the possible hole is smaller? Does a cup have a hole in it? Does a coffee cup with the lid on?

It's a conceptual question about how you parse what "a hole" is.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Oct 29, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cup>bowl>spoon trend I think is a good one too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man these neo nazi orgs are getting very esoteric to avoid using the swastika.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never had one with a "staffordshire oatcake" (or even heard of one of those) but scottish brekkies often come with tattie scone which is nice, sort of like flat potato based bread/pancake thing.

Hash browns are pretty normal though I think. Not as common as I'd like but not unheard of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SiKboy posted:

I think they've included tattie scone as "potato bread" even though I think they are slightly different things. And also no fruit pudding, which automatically means their scottish fry-up is Some loving Bullshit.

I just looked that up and apparently I've been making it as a scone substitute for a while now :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a munchie box. When you get a pile of deep fried poo poo from the chippy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like tattie scone but I would normally rather have a hash brown if I'm honest. They are really nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what highest is because nobody's hit it, apparently.

what does highest democracy look like? Other than apparently "if you added the difference between george bush and bill clinton back on top of bill clinton"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm -anal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they mean methylene.

Which uh... I guess is a methane molecule with the carbon double bonded to itself instead of two hydrogens, if you look at it very sideways :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strong OBR forecast energy from that graph.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I spent a while trying to figure that out as well yes, I think the bosporus is just "turkey"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah how is progressivism more right than liberalism??

Also what the hell is "activism"???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the same rationale as games workshop, whales with too much money working from home need something to spend it on during lockdown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Golbez posted:

He sounds one bad day away from becoming Time Cube v2.

I am definitely getting this more than "legit" in any respect lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AMD also has twice as many Xs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is predicated on the line "It is also stipulated that the lives of the members of each group are good enough that it is better for them to be alive than for them to not exist."

Which, uh, is a big assumption, IMO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I have tended to think this way myself but then you have someone like Trump who would absolutely do literally anything to continuously increase (for example) the crowd size at his rallys

I'm not sure there's a practical upper bound to either the harm he is willing to cause or his ever-increasing need for more narcissistic supply

There is obviously a physical limit in the universe etc which does still argue against a true infinite utility monster though

Yes but there is a practical upper bound to his ability to feel happiness, so the utilitarian solution would just be to pump him full of morphine or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

A utility monster isn't just someone who will never be satisfied with what they have, it's a hypothetical person/alien/robot who is capable of experiencing gigantic quantities of happiness such that a utilitarian would say that their vast happiness outweighs the misery of everyone else

Yeah that's the thing, people who act like that are not actually maximising utility, they're doing the opposite, because they are not capable of correctly deciding what utility is or probably more specifically, recognizing that other people's utility is real and their perceived utility is not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are we? You can do it consequentially as well. Deontologist/consequentialist seems entirely a matter of whether you update your model based on the results or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ikanreed posted:

The literal opposite interpretation of the same idea is what led me to think of myself as a deontologist. Namely that consequentialism takes on a fantastically egotistical perspective that you can predict the future, and a good set of life rules to follow should be informed by the kinds of predictable patterns you can foresee.

I'm never going to know if today's the day I accidentally hit someone with my car. But I know very clearly that speeding and not using my signal puts people at risk.

Granted I hate philosophy and apparently have zero grasp of it but I always associate deontology with "these are the rules and if you follow them, regardless of the outcome, you are Doing It Properly and A Good Person" i.e like hardcore religious prescriptivism or whatever.

Whereas consequentialism is when you look at the outcome of your actions and if the outcome is consistently poo poo you start to wonder "maybe the rules aren't very good, maybe I'm being a bit of a twat by sticking to them when they don't seem to help any"

Necessarily any use of your brain will lead you to trying to formulate methods which you think will achieve particular results, but I always thought deontological ethics was when you placed the emphasis on the rules as they are (for whatever reason, because you thought of them, because they're traditional, because they're god's rules) while consequentialism was when you played the emphasis on the outcomes.

I suppose a major difference might be that deontological ethics offers you personal insurance against ethical culpability because as long as you follow the rules you are doing the right thing, whereas consequentialism puts it on you to adjust your working if you can see a suboptimal outcome. It is possible to do the best you can and still commit error and for it to be your fault.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Dec 17, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lucre is already a word and means money. Also torrid isn't on the chart.

E: Humidor is also already a word it's a thing you put cigars in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wanna make jungle juice out of alla them test tubes and chug it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the seven genders, bagsy deviant case

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also english should be at the end of the europa>no arrow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

how to pronounce "ø", a guide for Americans

1. say "bird"

2. now say just the vowel sound

3. close enough

If you do that with northen english you get something a lot closer to ä :v:

bääärd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sequence of faintly modulated grunts is the most elegant and efficient form of language.