Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pretty sure this is in a text book teaching kids how to interpret piss poor graphs that were made incorrectly, which is a really really good skill to teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah Fahrenheit are a shameful unit, :agreed:

E: It's great because I have no clue if this is supposed to prove or disprove climate change.

From one of the twitter comments:

"there are two types of countries, ones that use metric, and ones that have been to the moon."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pretty much every other country in the world has done this, though, and they did not have the advantage of working under a federal government joining them together. I'm sure there's a significant cost for this obstinacy, whether it is in imports/exports or in retraining engineers. Quantified to buttress an argument for change, along with some political will, and it's not insurmountable.

Lol look at this guy he thinks the US government can actually get things done without devolving into a bipolar debate between reasoning with the rest of the world and 'Murica.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

quote:

asking prices in a popular internet forum from 2005-2014. Note: 2008 was a peak year with the economic boom and asking prices reflected this.

:what:

The graph is bad and the data behind making it is even worse. Fantastic all around.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Fathis Munk posted:

Godammit not another one of those. I really wonder how you can gently caress this up that badly without it being intentional. Ate they using loving log scales or what.

Weighted by personal opinion of the producer

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Phanatic posted:

In January, two young men blew themselves up in the Ural Mountains while taking a selfie holding a hand grenade with the pin pulled out. The mobile phone with the selfie survived as a record.

I want this loving phone holy poo poo

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Panzer Skank posted:

I can't even tell if this counts as a chart because there's literally no information provided. What is the point of this graphic. Am I over thinking this.

edit: why is there a cheeto in alaska

I disagree this chart is pretty rad and I enjoy looking at it. Maybe organized by color, tallest to shortest / reddest to greenest would have been easier to interpret, but then the east coast gets mashed up and is harder to distinguish.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alien Arcana posted:

GOONS should really be the x-axis here

Or do the lovely derails bring the goons to the thread?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Aramoro posted:

Isn't Puerto Rico super conservative, Republicans were certainly all about letting them become a State for a bit.

They're very religious, which would have them lean towards the republicans of 15 years ago. Current republicans lean on a lot of anti-immigration anti-welfare rhetoric which pushes Puerto Rico back over to the left.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mobby_6kl posted:

Jesus christ shut the gently caress up about US elections already.

gently caress we are pretty far behind. We should already be mining mars, and in three years have unlimited material resources from the moon!

(again I'm gonna say this chart is loving rad and not awful/funny)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Radar charts are garbage because the shape the lines make are meaningless.

Unless you're comparing a ton of things by the same categories, in which case the simple shape can make for quick interpretation. Such as characters in a video game.

For a straight one to another comparison yeah it's pretty garbage

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They make a whole lot of sense when the categories are time. Such as twelve points, one for each month, comparing quantities of things throughout the year.

This is not one of those.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

AlphaKretin posted:

They're all the same chart so I'm assuming they've photoshopped a decent, for a pie chart, chart over a stock image of a bunch of ecstasy pills falling out of a bottle, then removed any hint of being remotely clever.

Yeah but check out orange. There's some excel weirdness there where the biggest chart doesn't display orange and seems to be hidden under green. You can see it clipping through on two of the other charts

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm surprised cuck isn't on there what with the recent conspiracy being that the black man with white woman is being played up to instill fear among the white lower class men

Probably caused by feminism or skeleton of course

just the best :allears:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tesseraction posted:

I still really want to see how this matches Rep/Dem primary results.

You'll be terribly disappointed to learn that there is literally no correlation between any of these maps at all.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Another situation where a table would probably be more useful than a graph.

This thing is awful, just the worst. I honestly gave it a good long look and found some interesting trends, but the correlation is utterly worthless. Like median career pay to median age. Cool, looks like an opposing correlation there! Except there's no scale other than rank, so these numbers could be so loving close together this is coincidental. There's no telling whether this implies younger companies pay higher by mid career, or whether older companies paid a few cents less due to inflation.

Another interesting but useless trend is Median Years with Company, % Female, and % High Job Satisfaction. Low median years should imply higher turnover, which correlates well with low job satisfaction. More women are getting into tech industry jobs as the years go on, so high turnover companies are likely hiring more women as the percentage of female applicants goes up. But the way it's placed on the graph, the creator wants to jam % Female between the obvious correlation to draw a totally unrelated point: Higher % Female = Lower job satisfaction. Lower % Female = higher job satisfaction! Wow, what's with women in the tech industry?!?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Maybe the unlabeled X axis is volume of people retiring in the last # years, but yeah that's spectacularly bad.

Here have this abomination, where the scale is so bad it doesn't even encompass all (perceived and non-data based) points

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's no way Russia has less people retiring than Poland or as many people retiring as Belarus.

As percentage of the population? Percentage of the working population? poo poo, I don't even know why I'm trying to make sense of that hot garbage

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Reading the article, the guys who made the movie that uses that graph are peak Reddit MRA types who are bemoaning the fact that girls are having sex, but not with them (or have sex with them but then break up). So they persecute those girls by calling them "dumpsters" who are ruining the genes of their children, and celebrating the women who are virgins in their 20s and forever stay with the first person they have sex with.

The graph is one of the least offensive things featured in their video. The most offensive is one of those MRA shitheels showed the video to 8th grade girls.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Rotate that 90 degrees counterclockwise and relabel Y axis to "Quality of Entertainment"

Post on internet and watch the meltdowns roll in.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Movie theater ticket for 1: $12 average
Digital download of a movie: $20 average

But the graph is still flawed because buying a digital movie allows you to watch it as many times as you want, and watch it with multiple people. Watch your movie with a buddy twice and suddenly that digital movie looks great for value, where theater tickets are good exactly once for one person.

The graph is made by people with no friends, or friends that would never come over to their place. Perchance because they spend their free time playing so many "long play" (non social) video games.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
:aaa:

That's actually amazing, accurate, informative, and relevant. Probably in fact the absolute best use of a venn diagram I've ever seen

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Any family tree with a square in it is bad news.

But what the gently caress is up with Teophylact II? He just kinda had a kid by himself? There's not even a question mark there, like good 'ol Teophylact II gave birth solo.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's one hell of a way to represent a standard line chart to people who are afraid of straight lines

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hey guys just checking in to say the answer is 0 and one hand clapping makes a sound internally to the clapper only, hope this helps and god bless this thread thanks

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

OK so dual Y axis is the obvious fuckup here. The bitcoin scale is 6 times larger and is thus 6 times more unstable.

But why in the hell is the Yen axis flipped upside down? When the graph shows a decline of the Yen, it's actually doing better, the exact opposite of Bitcoin's trend.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Besesoth posted:

It's actually not - another example of how bad this graph is. The left Y-axis is in yen per USD, so the smaller that number, the stronger the yen is against the dollar.

Fantastic, an axis that's yen per USD vs an axis that's USD per bitcoin. That means bitcoins are somewhere between 8x to 10x more unstable than formal currency, but at least the trends match I guess?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Every sports person is required to know this. It's on the test. If you haven't taken the test, have fun with your hobby you filthy casual.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Albino Squirrel posted:

Stolen from the NHL offseason thread:

https://twitter.com/TheAHL/status/722122589334859777/photo/1

I know it does say 'leaders' at the top but it's jarring to get to the bottom of the graph and see 'league average.'

Seams reasonable to me? There are 30 AHL teams, this chart shows the top 10. The middle 10 probably have average attendance, and the bottom 10 are going to weigh the average down a lot. Even with #7-10 you can see the dropoff gets rather severe.

The only funny thing about this graph is the incredibly stupid names for those teams. Go Moose!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Travis343 posted:

What that graph actually says is that people feel way more comfortable admitting they've tried pot nowadays

As more states legalize it I'm sure the 51% will grow to a truer number. There's no way 8% more people polled tried it in the last year to account for the jump. You're absolutely right that comfort levels have grown by 8% instead.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

I'm phone posting and I can't zoom in on those graphs. Are the axes intentionally blurry? Or can somebody post a high res version?

There's just so much wrong and I can decipher how wrong it is yet.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I really like home ownership. Yes, we built a housing bubble, look how perfect it is until it crashes back down! Bubbles don't do that on their own, damnocrats!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Good, but too comprehensible. Here, I fixed it for everybody so we can all truly understand

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Fix the system? gently caress that, too hard, let's just be proud of a giant pile of poo poo because 'Murica! And if these massively inaccurate graphs helps us get to poo poo Mountain, I'm all for it!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Serperoth posted:

Latest fatal F1 accident was in October 2014, and he died in July 2015 after being in a coma.

I'm gonna presume that the last rocket launch fatality was farther away than that.

Nah sweeperbravo had it right. Rockets carrying humans will result in fatalities 99.99% of crashes. F1 cars carrying humans will result in fatalities in maybe (total guess) 1% of crashes. One of these is a more dangerous crash than the other, and it has nothing to do with total number of occurrences or most recent crash.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

holy gently caress

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
hahaha drat I was trying reealllly hard to make sense of that poo poo until I read the legend

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ahahaha poo poo i'm in tears

Even correcting the Y axis label to "Dollars" and eliminating the X axis because it's not needed, this is still hilariously hosed.

Does England pay non-doctors more than Doctors earn?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Count Roland posted:

EU as a country, I guess? And that the UK isn't included in it.

Yeah they're comparing individual countries to the EU, when each country within has their own Olympic committee that sends their own athletes.

It would be like the US sending 20 teams to each event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Carbon dioxide posted:

Kiiinda, but this graph does make you think about the fact that a larger population has a larger chance of having a good athlete than a smaller population. This does give large countries a statistical advantage, when you compare the absolute amounts of medals they got.

Germany, France and Italy have higher populations than South Korea by about 10 million each, and UK is about even with all three. Australia and New Zealand combine to half the population of Italy. Yet those European countries (minus UK) only touch the leaderboard if they're combined, whereas the smaller nations are doing just fine individually.

EU combines to a population 750 million, a little more than half that of China. When the EU is allowed 20 individual teams in the Olympics they pull down three times the medal count of China. The advantage for numerous teams far outweighs the advantage of larger populations.