Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I enjoyed it but I think they hosed up the match storytelling between Sasha and Bayley. If your narrative is that Banks has the skills, the ruthlessness, and the cunning to be the best and Bayley has to get by on her heroic qualities (and hints at tapping into some inner rage) Banks has to be more dominant. Give her more than a single pin lead, create some space for Bayley to overcome. Spend more time establishing that on paper, Sasha Banks is just plain better. When they're trading pins and control of the match, you're not selling me a story that really matters, y'know? You're saying "here's two evenly matched competitors, ps the good guy won." Since Bayley is supposed to be getting by on ability, heart, drive, etc., show me that by showing me her striving through getting her rear end kicked. Do it like they did with CM Punk, where he'd get his rear end kicked for most of the match but fight like a desperate cornered animal. You could put Punk against monsters like Lesnar and still look credible because he always looked like he was scratching and clawing to stay alive against superior opponents.

I've caught flack for saying it before but Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch did a better job of showing who the characters are and making me care about their struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Naw, the heels and faces don't have to be pure good and pure evil. Having Bayley get her rear end kicked for most of the match is a stupid way of moving forward since Bayley is going to be the one keeping the division alive as it rebuilds.

I don't mind whatever tiny heel streak they're hinting at with Bayley but wins feel more important when the heel is more credible. People know and expect that heroic qualities are more intangible. I'm not saying have Bayley take a piledriver on the concrete and then get up and beat the Nexus, just make the odds look a little more daunting.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

putting over bayley strong at the small cost of making sasha not seem like a completely dominant heel seems sensible when one of these people is going to no longer be on the show

That's actually a really good point. I think it makes for a less good match here and now but if it pays off along the way, that's good.

That said, face champs still gotta beat the odds. Someone's gonna have to get built up.

• Locked thread