Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I think it would be really beneficial if you told this thread the following on all your debts:

Make a spreadsheet(google docs, excel, whatever) with a column for

Debtor name(make one up if you don't want to say who it exactly is, but tell us roughly what it is)
Debt amount
APR%(current APR, but note if this is an introductory APR, like on your 0% card)
Minimum payment amount

This would help us determine where and how you can make your payments to fastest pay down your debt and make your life better

Also, please stop eating at gas stations. Look into meal planning for yourself, so you know what you are eating at least 3 days out. That way you can pre-buy the groceries you need to make them.

Does your GF live with you? Does she pay rent?

Also, what is your "reckless spending"? Where did you spend 6k over a few months? Can you break it down by category?

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hey its been a bit and I've made some changes.

-I've stopped eating gas station food and restaurants in general really. I make food in bulk that lasts for about a week and a half or more, typically stir-fry
-We refinanced my house after finishing improving it thus lowering the monthly mortgage from 1266 to 1097. Roommates pay 400 each for rent so I have some relief there.
-Have managed to successfully stop nearly all unessential spending and I've been tracking when I do to try and go longer lengths of time without spending poorly.

and to answer lrod1234's questions

-gf does not live with me
-the reckless spending was partially restaurants and stuff for fixing up my bathroom for the refinancing

also here is a google doc you asked for. I think I did this the way you wanted?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cw5-SuDbTbsePS0_9AVXJBcrXFNfncoBLnUZrD0YVP4/edit?usp=sharing

Awesome spreadsheet, can you clarify, are those the payments you have been making? Or the minimum payments allowed by your credit card companies? Or are those the same thing? Also why are your student loans not listed here?

I'd be sending as much money a month at that Capital one card a month. If you have a few hundred left over every month, send it to the capital one card. Especially now that you just lowered your mortgage by 169$ a month, you should at least be sending an extra $169 at that debt every month. I hope you send more.

How much did the refi cost you? How did you pay for it?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Those are the minimums. I've tried to pay more where I could. I didn't list the student loan because I figured it wasn't important as it won't be paid off for a long time.

Add it anyways, just for reference purposes.

Can you potentially list all your inflows and outflows a month in spreadsheet form? Would be much easier to follow then your original post.

How much exactly are you taking in(in income) a month? Include Rent that you get from tenants.

How much outflow? Put your full mortgage price, and every other bill you paid in the last month. Having this stuff written down to the dollar instead of "rough estimate" will really show you where money is going.

Note, I know that next month you won't have a mortgage payment because you just refinanced. Thats 1100$ that can go towards your debt! I know that sounds tough...so how about this. Don't send all 1100 bucks to the credit card man. Take 200$ and spend it on something you want. Restaurant eating, buy a video game, strip club, whatever....

• Locked thread