Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Definitely explore that GWS thread about cheap cooking, and learn to prepare more meals for yourself in general. You can buy a giant crockpot for dirt cheap at a thrift store and use that to make enough carnitas burritos to last for weeks for like $10. Rice dishes are incredibly cheap as well, and taste a lot better than fast food when done right.

For one person, you could probably cut your food bill nearly in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

hitachi posted:

Whats your recipe for this?

It was taken from a goon, most likely in the GWS cheap cooking thread. I can't find the source anymore but I'll write up as many of the details as I have.

Most of the work is done by the slow cooker so this produces a lot of food that you can keep handy in the freezer for like 30-60 minutes of actual effort. Pork butt is a cheap cut of meat, and you can get a lot of mileage out of a small block of cheese if you shred it yourself. A few more dollars and you've got yourself a complete meal.

Burritos Blanco
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 3-4 lbs pork shoulder (aka pork butt)
  • 1 (15oz) can tomatoes w/ green chiles
  • 1 cup green enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
  • 4 cups (2 cans) white beans
  • 2 cups shredded cheese
  • cilantro
  • tortillas

Chop the onion, peel the garlic, and throw it all in the slow cooker. Cut the pork shoulder in to large (2-3 inch) chunks and toss those in to slow cooker as well. Pour the can of tomatoes over all that and give it a quick mix, then let it sit and cook on low for like 8 hours.

After about 8 hours, the pork is super tender and there will be a lot more liquid in there so use tongs to grab the meat and put in to a large bowl. Grab some of the onion, garlic, and tomato as well. Use this step to remove any big chunks of fat, gristle, bone, etc that you don't want in the final product. When you've got your bowl ready, shred everything using two forks. Add some enchilada sauce and jalapenos, then stir it all up.

Make an assembly line to build the burritos, giving each tortilla a scoop of meat, some beans, cheese, and top with cilantro. Make them as big or small as you want, but I usually end up with like 8-10 large burritos out of a 3+ lb cut of pork. Roll them up burrito style, then cover in plastic wrap. Use gallon sized freezer ziplocs to store a few plastic wrapped burritos each. They keep well in the freezer and can be reheated directly from there.

• Locked thread