Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

one time my friend and i motorcycled into a certain national forest in PA. the national forest rule is you can camp ANYWHERE you just gotta go a little back from the road, but also not bushwack too far back either. so it's great for backpacking, because you can camp wherever the hell you want! right?

nope, apparently half the goddamn thing is actually private property and nobody told us this, and it's not really marked either. so my friend and i motorcycle along this beautiful creek until we find a nice spot to pull over, and we assume because we're in the national forest it's fine, so we wade through a river that is warm as h*ck because it's shallow and slow and it was sunny and hot out

we unpack our poo poo from our bikes, including a bundle of firewood i managed to tie onto my pillion with rope, and we carry it all across the river to an island, and fgind a really nice spot to make camp, and a rocky bank to have a fire. we do so. by this point the sun is low and there is a mist on the air because it rained on us on the ride up, and holy goddamn poo poo with the sunset light and the mist it was like the sky was on fire, so pretty

we have a jar of whiskey and some beer, which we're starting to work on, and I get to setting up a fire while my friend fishes a little hoping for some bonus dinner, meanwhile every once in a while we see a car drive down this remote-rear end road where our bieks our parked and we're sort of watching if anyone stops because sometimes assholes (esp punkass teens) see motorcycles and they're like "lol cool bikes let's go gently caress with them." well none of the cars stop for a while, that's good. finally one of them does and we stop laughing and we're like "ah god damnit we gotta go check on this."

let me also point out that i'm carrying one of those religious jar-candles you get for a dollar in a mexican grocery, for light, and my friend has a headlamp on red mode

so we wade across the creek again, walk up the hill, and boom, flashlight in our faces. it's a cop. I'm not going to give too many details but basically he's trying SO HARD to push our buttons like cops are trained to do, and we are the two coolest goddamn cucumbers there are so he's not getting anywhere. he's all, what are you doing here, and we say we're camping etc. and at some point he's like "I'm not really buying your story." WHat?? I mean christ it's 10 pm and we're in the woods, what else are we doing? He gives me poo poo about my candle I was carrying so maybe he thinks we're doing some dark satanic rituals idk. He also doesn't believe that we carried camping gear in on motorcycles (it's really not hard :confused:). He also says we're technically within a narrow 200 foot strip of property that isn't public land, it's owned by the army corps of engineers for flood control reasons or something, and acts like we were supposed to know that. He also understandably keeps asking me to keep my distance and keep my hands out of my pockets, which I understand and I kept putting my hands in my pockets without thinking cause it's chilly, but he says it in an unnecessarily tough guy way (what you gonna pull a knife on me? huh??) ANyway he continues to try to push our buttons for a while and keeps reminding us how much trouble we could be in just like that *snap* if he wanted, and eventually he tells my friend to go break up our camp, then when he has me alone he asks if we've been drinking and I'm like "yeah honestly we have, after we break up camp we might sit here for a while until we're sober enough to ride somewhere else." So finally he tells us we can stay, ONLY because HE says so and he "doesn't wanna be back here peelin [our] bodies off the road at 2 am," he tells me to go tell my friend we can stay, and he watches me cross the river and notices that hey we weren't lying, we do have a tent down there. So we come back up, my friend brings his backpack up with his fishing rod to prove we really were camping and fishing ,and after giving us a hard time for a little more and reminding us how much he's the one in charge here, he leaves

This whole ordeal was like an hour and a half. But after returning to camp we just took the biggest swig of whiskey and started laughing about it and we finally lit our fire and had a good night in a beautiful spot. the next day there was also a rope swing we found, all in all it was worth it since we didn't actually get in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

GEExCEE posted:

it's far and away the greatest tent I've ever seen

alnilam

Theglavwen posted:

Nonsense, the earlier a baby comes to know the rapids, the earlier it can master their power!

Or, some kind of harness setup? Baby earplugs?

On at least two occasions, I've been on backpacking trips 1+ days into the bush and seen someone go by with a 9 month old in a front-harness

alnilam

Dunno if it's the best idea to take an infant out on a multi day backpacking trip i was just sayin

alnilam

One of those trips the lady was breastfeeding as she hiked a really tough 11 mile day with lots of elevation change and some hazards and she told me "man it's like he's sucking my energy away as i hike"

alnilam

*pulling gooey surfing posts off of skin* ugh, too many of these man

ty manifisto

alnilam

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

To kiss the mountain with your butt, it's a beautiful thing

alnilam

GEExCEE posted:

mountain: hey

rznvgirl109: hey what's up

mountain:

mountain: u like?

rznvgirl109: wow

mountain: mm i would love u to climb me

mountain: do u have a pic

rznvgirl109: ummm

mountain: how many layers are u wearing

rznvgirl109: i gotta go bye

hahaha

alnilam

geexcee did you stay in ttouch with kilimanjaro after your brief summer fling with it

alnilam

lol that mary...

alnilam

hello little boat

alnilam

there would never be a reason to kill a diamondback

well i guess if it was inhabiting your outhouse or something and you had no other way to move it

still even then i'd try to capture it live using a bucket on a stick or something, and let it go out in the wild; snakes are chill and don't want to hurt humans

i heard once that most serious snake bites result from idiots daring each other to pick up the snake

ty manifisto

alnilam

dogcrash truther posted:

if you steal his diambond, he's going to want his diamond back. at that point, its kill or be killed. its right in his name.

lol

ty manifisto

alnilam

a documentary on all the diamondbacks as well as would-be diamond thieves who have died in the name of providing diamonds to sell to the western world

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Woah can't believe you picked it up

My rattler story is i was hiking on hawk mountain about 2 miles of boulder hopping from just about any other human, we're taking a break sitting on some big rocks enjoying the view, and my friend dropped his sunglasses into the crack between two boulders, so he tried to reach down to grab them, meanwhile I'm sitting on a lower rock and i can see the sunglasses are sitting right on top of a rattlesnake :eek: so his hand is now about halfway down there to grope around for them and I'm like STOP PULL BACK and he did so he didn't get bit but :rip: his sunglasses i hope the snake is wearing them and looking real cool

• Locked thread