Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

when I was little, probably 8 or 9, my dad decided to take the family with him turkey hunting in a deep, hidden canyon somewhere in the Jemez mountains. so while he was out failing miserably to kill turkeys, my mom, brother, and I got really bored and decided to climb up the rocky slope behind the camper. we kept saying, "we'll stop at that next big rock, the top is at that next big rock" but it never was. we must've climbed halfway up the canyon wall before we decided it was too much and retreated.

no pictures sadly, if any existed my mom has them at her house.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Theglavwen posted:

Here's one of the lakes I was talking about earlier. Not the worst example, but all the land in the foreground should be under water, and the water line around the edges ought to be right up to the tree line.

Here's a small stream that I had to walk back down along after wrecking my iliotibial bands.

Aaaand a stairway made out of roots that I thought was neat?

I dunno, most of my pictures are on a portable harddrive I don't feel like digging through right now.

those are beautiful!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Some nebulous time in high school or college, my dad and brother (when I was still on good terms with them) decided they wanted to go camping, and I went along because I love camping, and I was afraid they'd set themselves on fire or get lost.

This was a last minute, 5:30 pm on a Friday afternoon when Dad's already drunk decision. We basically grabbed everything that we figured we'd need, threw it in my brother's truck, and hit the road asap. It was already getting dark by the time we got to the village that was about halfway to the lake, but damnit, we were determined to go camping!

So we get to Fenton Lake, and no one has money but me. Of course. I pay the camping fee and we drive around for 45 minutes as it dawns on us that it's pretty loving late, and everyone has already arrived and taken all the good camp sites. We finally find one on a lovely rock-strewn hill far from the lake and set up, and this was our campsite:

one (1) government-issue fire pit
one (1) reclining sun-baked beach chair to put immediately next to the fire pit, for Dad to pass out on
one (1) pick up truck bed, with an assortment of blankets of various stages of filthy, that my brother claimed
one (1) tarp
one (1) knotted up pile of tent rope
two and a half (2 1/2) tent stakes, bent horribly
one (1) sleeping bag that I remembered to grab for myself
one (1) cooler full of beer that my dad and brother like
one (1) bag of chips from the gas station on the way up for myself
assortment of fishing gear that I was too tired and pissed off to go digging through in the dark

Because my dad and brother were more interested in getting drunk and yelling at the campfire than helping me find decent sticks in the dark with no flashlight, I decided that if a wolf, bear, or mountain lion came along and ate me while I slept, it would be an improvement to my situation, and slept on top of the tarp, in the sleeping bag.

That's how I learned not to camp with unreliable assholes.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Theglavwen posted:

Nope!

You can even do it in the winter, it can be rewarding no matter when you do it. Here's two from the camping trip where I proposed.

winter camping seems hardcore to me, but I freeze my rear end off at the slightest inclination. the pictures are beautiful, though!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Picnic Princess posted:

Winter camping is good.

I went camping last night, but it wasn't wintery. I was in a tshirt all night in the Canadian mountains. It's really warm right now.

I also have a poo poo ton of stories because I spend as much time outdoors as I can. I'll start with my heli-rescue I guess.

I fell off the side of a mountain while descending and fell 15 feet down a cliff band onto a little ledge on top of a 500 foot vertical cliff. I got massive scrapes and cuts all over my body and couldn't bend my leg. Nothing broken, but I couldn't keep climbing down. We called for a rescue and they picked me up via a cable under a helicopter and flew me to an ambulance and I got to go the hospital. 10 stitches in my head, 3 in my leg. Covered in blood. Couldn't walk for four days.

I was back on a summit 5 weeks later because I loving live for this poo poo.

holy cats :chanpop: you're amazing

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

dogcrash truther posted:

Mary sounds cool, let me talk to her.

You can meet her after I'm through with her. She's doubledating with my fists and the parking lot for what she did to psl.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

exactly :evilbuddy:

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I've been busy as poo poo lately, but maybe someday in the far-off future I'll be able to go hiking again. We got snow above 9000' a few nights ago, apparently, it didn't stick around much, but Angel Fire has a decent snowpack already and it's only a matter of time before it starts falling decently around my city too. I can't wait :allears: I LOVE hiking in the snow.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

snakes are really cool and you're a good person :glomp:

I went hiking in the foothills a while back, I'll post more about it tomorrow, there are pictures somewhere of the city at sunset, but not of the Western Diamondback I found.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I actually have two rattlesnake stories, but only one outdoorsy one, and I forgot to get the pictures off his phone again because I suck.

We went hiking in the Sandia Foothills, up behind the Tram, one night around sunset. It was mega pretty, but because it's rained so much, and I use honey shampoo, we got swarmed by fruit flies :argh: so I was kind of grumpy and swatting around me and not really able to watch where I was going as well as I should. Husband was walking behind me being considerably more chill.

I came up into a gap between a boulder and a big cactus, and saw a flash of movement on the ground under where I was about to step, and there was a baby Western Diamondback, probably 5" long or so, on the path. Husband bumped into me and I told him to look, but the snake zoomed off under a bush next to the rock before he could see around me.

We turned around and headed back to the car after that.

And the other snake story is sorta boring, I found a slightly older Diamondback in my mom's back yard when I was in college, I poked it with a pool skimmer until it jumped into the net, then I ran around the side of the house and threw it across the road. In my defense, I had to go take a final, and the very reckless dog had to be in the yard while I was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

alnilam posted:

Woah can't believe you picked it up

My rattler story is i was hiking on hawk mountain about 2 miles of boulder hopping from just about any other human, we're taking a break sitting on some big rocks enjoying the view, and my friend dropped his sunglasses into the crack between two boulders, so he tried to reach down to grab them, meanwhile I'm sitting on a lower rock and i can see the sunglasses are sitting right on top of a rattlesnake :eek: so his hand is now about halfway down there to grope around for them and I'm like STOP PULL BACK and he did so he didn't get bit but :rip: his sunglasses i hope the snake is wearing them and looking real cool

coolest snake on the mountain, glad your friend didn't get bitten! that was a good catch!

• Locked thread