Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I was deep in the mountains hunting elk with my ex-wife's family(this was while we were still married, of course.) We hadn't had any luck so far, so while everyone slept at the camp, my mother-in-law and I went on an early morning scouting trip. This was further out in the mountains that we would usually go, but our usual hunting place had gotten popular, so we moved further out into the wilderness. we hadn't seen any other hunters since we had arrived and had spotted a couple of black bears, but there were plenty of tracks and fresh droppings, so we knew they were close. we headed east, farther into the wild, because we had heard elk calls coming from that direction the night before. there was snow on the ground, so it was hard going and at one point we had the choice of going up a stony(slippery) ridge or up a shallow, tree filled valley. we chose the valley. the minute we entered the trees, something felt wrong. a sense deep within told us that we had made a mistake, but we kept going. it was strangely warm and quiet in there. and even though the winter was bitterly cold and windy, the atmosphere in this wood was musty and oppressive. our boots started making a strange hollow crunching sound as we walked further in and my mother-in-law stooped and picked up a bone, elk, gnawed on. the forest floor was covered in bones. just then it started o lighten up as the sun came over a ridge and we saw bones and carcasses hanging in the trees. we had wandered into a mountain lion den.
we knew we were being watched, but you never see one of them until it's too late. as they usually go for the back of the neck, we stood back to back and took turns leading each other out of the forest. it was probably only minutes, but it seemed to take hours to get out of there.
when we got back, we told everyone that the trip was over, packed up our things and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

dogcrash truther posted:

btw please post pictures of all this stuff, to compliment the interesting words you are writing. I am enjoying this thread. I can now plausibly pretend to know what the great outdoors are like when i correspond with my pen pals.

I don't have any photos of the trip that I described, but here, have one of my son standing on a cliff:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

• Locked thread