Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

Corbae posted:

my friend once fractured his tibia & fibia when we were hiking in the brecon beacons so we had to secure it with a stick and some rope and carry him to the nearest road

I used to backpack a lot in college and one time I planned a 3 day solo trip through the Ozark mountains. At the end of the first day I was jumping a small stream and tore my ACL. I couldn't walk, and every step was excruciating. I camped there and hoped someone would come by, but no one ever did. luckily, I keep a vicodin in my first aid kit and had lots of weed to help with the pain, i also saw on the map that a road was only two miles away. I ended up putting on a knee wrap, constructed a make-shift crutch, hid my gear, and made it to that road (took me like 8 hours!) where I was picked up by some park rangers. it was the scariest situation in my life and if that road wasn't there I might have died. I never went backpacking again haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

I also ran out of water that trip and had to drink from a stagnet stream where I contracted some nasty stomach bug. this is why you NEVER go solo!

Piso Mojado

here's a funny hunting story - a few years back I was turkey hunting way way out in the Missouri backwoods at this little known conservation area. I had been there all morning and hadn't heard anything other than the occasional "pop" of a shotgun in the distance. After a while I heard a shot somewhere in the valley then, after a brief pause, that was followed by 4 more consecutive shots in short procession. This was very suspicious as with turkey you generally only get one chance...maybe a desperate second shot at most but never more. So then I thought it may have been an SOS, but that's only 3 shots. I thought about it for a while and came to the conclusion that it was poachers or some rear end in a top hat kids. At the time I was working with the EPA on a joint project with the local conservation office so I decided to go back to the lot and try to catch and report these jerks, if that was the case.

I hurried back to the only parking lot at the area and waited. A short time later a hunter came out of the woods with two trash bags full of stuff and I knew I had got the guy. But before I could say anything he SLAMMED the bags in the back of his truck furiously and I could tell by the sound that something harder than turkeys were in the bag. He then kicked his fender and cussed loudly. I approached him, explained about what I had heard, and asked if he was the one shooting. I'm pretty sure he wanted to punch me right in the face, haha.

He explained that he was calling from a few ridges over when out of nowhere some 90 year old local yokel came out of the tree line and blasted one of his decoys. I guess the old fart must have thought it was his lucky day as he dropped one, but none of the others ran, so he proceded to shoot the rest (which is v illegal in MO - 1 turkey per day). Then the guy realized what he'd done, and walked off the way he came.

I asked the hunter, "Why didn't you say anything?". He looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "kid, if a blind rear end in a top hat can't tell the difference between a decoy and a real turkey, then you'd be stupid to think he wouldn't just shoot anything that moved. I lost my decoys, but at least I'm not pulling shot out of my rear end!". lol

I help teach hunters safety classes now and I tell this story every time, haha.

Piso Mojado

hahaha @ psl

Piso Mojado

Here's a few pics from my trip where I tore my ACL. I wish there were more, and but I pretty much stopped taking pictures when I injured myself. I havent looked at this album in nearly a decade because it was such a traumatic experience, but here's a few.

This is basically the trip I took, but I was doing both splits to make another day of it. Highway A is where I got picked up at by the park rangers. These mountains were no joke.
http://ozarktrail.com/planner/tripresultsoverview.php?id=214&activitytypeid=1

The Ozark Mountains (and trail system) is one of the best in the country. Most of the trail is going through mountain forests that come out to these beautiful Rhyolite and Granite glades.

Pretty sure this is the stream i ate lunch at and then subsequently injured myself on

my tent that night. I remember really freaking out because i thought I heard some wild hogs.

Piso Mojado

That trip was actually the best thing that ever happened to me. Had it not been for that ACL injury I would have never got into cycling, and eventually Touring. Even though I couldn't backpack up mountains any more, I found that all my lightweight camping gear was perfect for long distance touring cycling, which has become my real passion in life. If anyone is interested I have some real cool stories and pics of those trips.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I wanted to post about my recent surfing adventures here but there is a thread for that already

I can't imagine anyone in byob complaining about too many surfing posts.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

How do you kiss a mountain, to show it your love

that's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

after 2 cold days in a tree, I got a deer today. looking forward to making some jerky.

• Locked thread