Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Can I vote for whatever your preference is, Grimwit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Bunny's Female coven will rule the streets!

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
If we are going female, I suggest cell phone lady. Just imagine how useful a cell phone would be in this game - no running to quest-givers and back whenever something comes up, we wouldn't have had to go through all that rigmarole to get the nightclub invitation... It would crack the game wide open.

CommissarMega posted:

Find the most euphoric Male there is and cockblock him for eternity :unsmigghh:
Nah, we need at least two more girl vampires first for the true blueballing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doopliss posted:

If we are going female, I suggest cell phone lady.

I actually did that (just got the game, now playing as Brad the Impaler)- nothing cool so far, but I have my fingers crossed!

Can't say I'm much of a fan regarding the endless dungeons and poo poo, though. It kind of gets annoying, especially since the game's Town Portal equivalents are so hard to find, and shops are far apart..

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Guys! Guys, I made a terrible mistake!

I made the mistake, and I can't turn back the clock! We'll just have to live with my horrible blunder!

In this next episode...

Part 9: Blood Arena

...I realize too late...
Hank's hat isn't a fedora, like the Blues Brothers, it's a trilby. Hank is a Vampire Neck Beard!

Uh... Also, some people's votes didn't get in in time.

Next Fledgling will be female.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 25, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This game looks awful but this LP is fun nonetheless.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kanthulhu posted:

This game looks awful but this LP is fun nonetheless.

It's more fun than you think. At least (and possibly as an old Doom fan) I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it despite its hokeyness.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It looks goofy as hell, but it has a kind of janky charm. I played around with the demo for a while, and between the goofy charm and the legitimately surprisingly good gameplay (kind of tickles the same itch for me as Diablo 2 did back when) I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Not sure if I really want to pay the asking price on Steam ATM, but whenever this thing goes on sale, I definitely think it would be worth a purchase.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Now that I've picked up Forever Knight again, this game has an added layer of charm!

Unfortunatly, I'm also starting to see the bigger faults in the game, mainly the huge amount I'll have to start cutting out of the footage. This 28 minute video started at 1hr 6min. That's more than half on the cutting room floor.

Also, Hank.

Part 10: Blood Hank

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

It's more fun than you think. At least (and possibly as an old Doom fan) I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it despite its hokeyness.
I'd say it's exactly as fun as you think. It's an endearing little game and I don't at all regret the buy, but it's not exactly holding anything in reserve if you don't like what you see. If anything, given the minion system and a lot of the talents we haven't seen here, the game is actually somehow shallower than it looks.

EDIT: I was skeptical about Hank at first, but he won me over with his apathetic one-handed punch. Welcome aboard, Hank. I salute you.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 29, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Some Holloween surprised this video, including dungeon puzzles, Massage Parlors, and Youtube counting this video as copyritten!
:confuoot: Finally, I'm a youtuber?!

Part 11: Blood Massage

Welp, I'm officially too sick to drive and the smell of my van will never be the same, so I don't know when the next update will come. Maybe I'll do a sick special and share my disease with the WORLD of Youtubesz! "Hey folks, I'm Grimwit this is :barf:"

Rainbow showers of candy for EVERYONE!

(that last sentence has been found to be copywriter material and cannot be monetized claimed by [Copyright Troll Inc])

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd say you're right in that there does appear to be more then enough depth in the game to be interesting, it just doesn't have the budget to well designed enough to make it all seem interesting right out of the gate. And yeah, the boring and square dungeons don't help but given their apparently crazy size I can see why that was done.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Since it's an actual discussion topic now, I'll elaborate a bit on why I think the game is shallow.

First off, that pressure plate and mysterious dagger wall is in fact part of the main quest, and will be entirely explained by the time you actually get anything for solving it. So calling it a reward for exploration isn't that realistic. It's also probably my favorite puzzle the game has, since it at least sort of departs from the "look for hidden switches and Vampire Gaze through cracks" format that all the other puzzles do.

You may have picked up on this from the dialogue, but the quest Grimwit got at the Massage Parlour is this game's version of Skyrim's Radiant Quests. Basically any clan that doesn't have any quests left will give you the Golden Duck Statue quest and send you off to a randomly-generated dungeon for a while. This makes them only slightly less memorable than the handmade sidequests, which are about an even split between "run to a pre-determined spot in the city, do something you basically can't fail and come back" and "retrieve/kill something in a random dungeon".

I would actually say the first dungeon is the best in the game. The puzzle archetypes are still reasonably fresh, being handmade gives it some genuinely interesting architecture and by the time you finish you'll basically have the entire toolset you'll have in the endgame. The game encourages you to pick up Mist Form, it flat-out gives you Vampire Gaze and Secret Sight and you start with whatever the best ability is for whatever class you picked. You can even have a decent set of minions if you're not prejudiced against hobos (or are willing to murder the hobos once they've out-unlived their usefulness). It's not that the game has trouble showing off everything out of the gate, it's that what there is out of the gate is basically all there is.

Mechanically (I'll admit I'm a sucker for mechanics), a lot of the game's stuff just doesn't do anything. We saw a couple examples of sending your minions off to sire other vampires, but this has basically no effect. You get about one dead enemy's worth of experience, an extra minion stat point if you're lucky and a little bit of progress toward the hotel's penthouse, which gives you slightly-easier access to a bunch of things you can find in the city proper. It also takes forever, even if you pump their Charisma into the 100s. The majority of the skills available either do basically nothing (non-passively increase run speed, do non-scaling AoE damage, somewhat increase your silver/sun resistance) or duplicate something another skill does (the game's many projectile/summoning skills). Alchemy is mind-blowingly good, but not in a way that gives the game more variety.

Again, I don't begrudge the developer for this. What is there is pretty solid and fun (hence why I know all of this crap), and it can't be emphasized enough that it's a one-coder project, but it's hard to imagine a use of the word 'deep' that includes Silly Vampire Diablo.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 1, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Well, knowing now that it's part of the main quest does dull the luster of the puzzle a bit.

You make good points and I'm too sick to counter any right now. Let me just add one of my own complaints.

:( I WANNA CUSTOMIZE NINA!

Heck, just the option to change her name would be nice. In the beginning, there seems to be this hint that you'll be able to wear what you want and choose based not just on the Str bonus, but how cool it looks. Alas, we find that is not always so. Only the glasses and hat and weapon seems to change the character model; Since there's no minion inventory that's a double fail for Nina. (I imagine she's all ninja'ed up)

Okay, I'll stop wining. The game is still good for what it is and I still plan to play more until I get sick of it.
It fits my Forever Knight binge.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Doopliss posted:

Alchemy is mind-blowingly good, but not in a way that gives the game more variety.

Morrowind good? I mean, being able to break a game over your knee has an appeal all its own.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Morrowind good? I mean, being able to break a game over your knee has an appeal all its own.
Not as bombastically good as Morrowind, but same basic principle. A single ingredient plus an empty bottle gives you a permanent stat-up, with the amount you get depending on your Alchemy skill. If you have an Alchemy skill of 5 (pretty easy), you can get a full level up's worth of Vitality with a snake scale and an empty bottle. There are similar recipes for Charisma and Strength.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 2, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Depending on how updated his save is compared to the game version this thing has gotten really good since it was started. I remember reading the patch notes and discovering there were a bunch of new vampable companions added for instance.

I mean it's pretty obviously a janky tongue in cheek parody of goth and vampire tropes at times (Blood. Blood! BLOOD!) but holy poo poo one person did all of this. I mean, when you think about that that's a big deal. How many triple A companies have either backed off the concept or screwed it up over the years?

Also the neat thing about this game is that it actually keeps introducing new game play content straight through to the end of the game. There's some crazy stuff there that'd pique the attention of fans of the OWoD, but I don't want to spoil it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just picked this up. It's actually pretty fun.

Be glad you turned the tutorial off dude, otherwise it would have reccomended biting some random bum to be your first spawn. Bums suck! And you can't get rid of them afterward.

I do wish I could give them a gun.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know, as bad as a bum would be, I have to think that there were a few fights in the tutorial area that would have been a bit easier with some help. Any help.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Bums suck! And you can't get rid of them afterward.
It's not documented anywhere (because really, why would it be?), but you in fact can get rid of minions you don't like by putting a bunch of garlic in their inventory. How to put stuff in a minion's inventory is left as an exercise to the reader, but it is in fact possible!

On a similar note, all the possible minions are given random stats when you start the game, except for that first hobo Walter who gets one extra point of strength. Thus, Walter the Hobo Vampire is actually the best minion in the game. I think the dev felt bad for him.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^ Can you give them a weapon?

He's very slow, barely attacks, and gets in my way more often than not. I'm a warrior and found a ring rhat gives me +3 to the fire bolt spell so I'm hurling fireballs at enemies before clobbering them with my big club.

The the bum stands in front of me, gets hits with a fireball, and drops like a sack of potatoes.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

He's very slow, barely attacks, and gets in my way more often than not.
That's all minions. And no, they don't use equipment you give them even if they have the stats for it. Polished this game ain't.

I still like minions for their ability to tie enemies up, especially in large numbers, but they definitely require some circling-around if you plan on using ranged attacks.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 2, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've noticed that really nothing about this game is documented.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Holy crap, I'm alive!

Seriously, bed-bound for a month, distracted by getting a job while coughing my eye out as if they were tonsils.
SOOOO much vomit.

...and fallout 4...

Anyway, I'm back and put my fangs back in. Sorry for the wait.

Let's go places we're not aloud!

Part 12: Blood Pawn Shop

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Oh hey, welcome back!

Scades lets you shoot crossbows better. Why would you need anything in life other than shooting crossbows better?

The "Word on the street is that you're working for another clan" dialogue means that they're trying to give you the Golden Fish Statue quest, but you're already doing that for another clan and you can only have one Golden Fish Statue quest at a time. The pickpocket thing was actually the only unique quest the Vangress give you.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Doopliss posted:

Oh hey, welcome back!

Scades lets you shoot crossbows better. Why would you need anything in life other than shooting crossbows better?

The "Word on the street is that you're working for another clan" dialogue means that they're trying to give you the Golden Fish Statue quest, but you're already doing that for another clan and you can only have one Golden Fish Statue quest at a time. The pickpocket thing was actually the only unique quest the Vangress give you.

Huh. I'll bite. (no pun intended)
What is a Golden Fish Statue Quest? Is it because I'm still trying to grab the Blood Orchid?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Whichever faction gives you more better shooty skills.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Grimwit posted:

Huh. I'll bite.
What is a Golden Fish Statue Quest? Is it because I'm still trying to grab the Blood Orchid?
You recall that quest to wander into a dungeon and find a statue that the Shadistin lady at the Massage Parlour gave you? One of those. See above rant on the game being shallow.

quote:

(no pun intended)
I don't believe you :colbert:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
So glad blood to see this back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Grimwit posted:

Huh. I'll bite. (no pun intended)

It's this game's Radiant quests.

• Locked thread