Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
To recap from before, I provided in this thread a List derived from Logic that reveals to us a startling truth:

Nations NOT Destined for the Turbomegadeath posted:

1. Republic of Cuba

2. Iceland

3. Norway

4. Denmark

5. Rojava

6. Sweden

7. United Republic of Tanzania

8. Zapatista territories

9. Freetown Christiania

10. DRPK

I made this list after disabling my biases and preconceptions and it is therefore Truth. And we see from it that nations that reject the Church of Property Rights's teachings of Capitalism are far less likely to experience Turbomegadeath. I would like to make my closing remark for this thread that I believe we have answered the question posited in the OP; we should care about the Church of Property Rights, because our lives and the lives of everyone we care about depends on us crushing this doomsday cult, and defeating their teachings, before they bring the Turbomegadeath down upon us.

I thank you all for your participation in this thread, and to Jrod I say I look forward to your next theological debate (although I don't know if D&D is the best place for a theology debate?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jrode is a dumb smelly baby and I hope to see him again in future so I can laugh at his idiot opinions put forward as fact.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Radish posted:

Doesn't "smelly, outcast paranoiac" pretty much describe Alan Moore? Didn't he go live in the middle of no where and grow a crazy man beard or am I thinking of the guy who originally made Wonder Woman?
Alan Moore is definitely a weirdo with a wizard beard but at last report he's living with two women in a town in England, so I'd say he's doing something right.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Someday JRod will return to us, and someday we will find an honest libertarian. They will not be the same day.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nolanar posted:

Someday JRod will return to us, and someday we will find an honest libertarian. They will not be the same day.

While the former is certain, I remain less than convinced of the latter.

Anyway, for my last post in the thread before it closes, I'd like to point out that we did actually make progress on one front: Jrod finally was forced to weigh in on the watermelon issue, all questions about which he had previously dodged.

As libertarian threads go, that makes this one a resounding success, and we should all be proud we contributed to it.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
This thread created joinder with my heart!

Thanks to Caros et al. for making this a really informative thread.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, if there's one thing I'd say, it's that I hope people keep demolishing jrod - not only for the vicious enjoyment of it, but because we tend to learn a lot when people with solid knowledge and background on subjects drop truth bombs on his drivel.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Don't worry guys, we're about due for a new Eripsa thread.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Yeah and we're not putting that on him, he openly said in a post (I still can't find it because I am bad at computer) that you can't actually disprove his economic theories with mere evidence, merely support them or - perhaps, generously - slightly refine their execution.

We ought to dig that line up so we can all copy-paste it at him when he comes back.

Hahaha what, he must think unfalsifiability is the mark of a strong claim. Because it looks like it is, if you don't know science or reading.

Ah, Praxeology. Simple rules for a simple mind.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2016

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Purestrain goldmine this thread.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SedanChair posted:

Hey I'd love to find a libertarian who learned good hand-to-hand skills but they end up learning mall ninjutsu due to the same lack of critical thinking that made them libertarians
Love this post. Goldmine this post

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Anticheese posted:

Purestrain goldmine this thread.

Is it possible to send this one to the LF Goldmine? It may have resided in D&D, but in its heart of hearts this thread was, truly, The Most LF.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Death to Capitalism

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
gently caress Libertarianism forever and ever.

Amen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hbomberguy posted:

I hope JRod or the other libs come back and make a new thread so we can watch the meltdown all over again. It was a run ride.

Considering he's down this at least seven other times I can think of, you don't have to worry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jrodefeld more like

j-chode failed

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tesseraction posted:

jrodefeld more like

j-chode failed

Wrap it up, jrodailures.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

Yeah and we're not putting that on him, he openly said in a post (I still can't find it because I am bad at computer) that you can't actually disprove his economic theories with mere evidence, merely support them or - perhaps, generously - slightly refine their execution.

We ought to dig that line up so we can all copy-paste it at him when he comes back.

jrodefeld posted:

When I discussed the minimum wage with you all before, you tried to convince me that even though all the “old” empirical studies seemed to show a negative employment effect from minimum wage laws, and economic textbooks taught that there was a negative employment effect, and economic theory would demand that this is so, new studies overturned all that old wisdom and purported to prove that there is no disemployment effect from minimum wage hikes. Such “studies”, if they are truly to be taken seriously as dispassionate research into labor markets and not political advocacy masquerading as science, are deeply called into question when one further examines the literature.

I’d ask you all to carefully consider the three recent studies I’ve liked to on this page and explain to me why they are wrong and why, for some reason, demand curves don’t slope downward in labor markets.

*the thread does so*

jrodefeld posted:

I think this is a good time to talk about the limits of empirical studies when looking at social phenomenon. Empiricism in the hard sciences is pretty straightforward because studies can be conducted with great specificity and are easily reproducible by other scientists. In contrast, human behavior in a complex economy is much more difficult to evaluate purely on an empirical basis. I've studied this issue for a while, and what has come up again and again is an empirical economist releases a paper that purports to prove a specific assertion, and then subsequent economists find it impossible to reproduce the results found because they cannot isolate the variables with regards to human action in a complex environment.

This doesn't mean that it is worthless to have studies which demonstrate economic principles at work, but to approach economics like you do hard sciences is problematic. If we approach the issue of minimum wage laws and their effects like a hard scientist would regarding, say, the speed of gravity or something like that we'd claim that we can have no relevant information about the problem before running empirical tests. We form a hypothesis and then test and test to see if our hypothesis is being validated. Then other scientists will run their own tests and see if the tests are reproducible.

With economics, given the trouble with reproducing the results of studies given the number of variables which cannot be adequately controlled for, such an empirical model proves lacking. At best, economic studies can serve to demonstrate an economic principle or law that has been earlier deduced using logic and an understanding about human action, about incentives and things of that nature.

Studies can demonstrate that I am right, but if it turns out they disagree with my predictions then they were worthless all along.

This is what happens when you turn cognitive bias into an entire epistemology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:siren::siren::siren:

I have hereby DOCKED my person at this point of the thread, ergo all further posts in this thread belong to me as well as my fictitious corporate entity. If you attempt to post in this thread then you are violating the NAP, and the only form of acceptable compensation for this flagrant violation of my property rights will be the payment of a sum of 10,000 bitcoins sent to me directly. My wallet address is 1HitLerDiDNothingWrongggggghJew

:sureboat:

• Locked thread