Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Who What Now posted:

I think you should. I'd love to listen a podcast of yours at work.

Actually, speaking of the podcast, would any goons be interested in doing one this coming Sunday?

I've still got to get out the one where me and dickeye talked about comics for four hours, but I had an idea for one in the hopefully near future, depending on how work goes. In March at the latest.

It'd basically be a Show and Tell where everyone participating visits some lovely libertarian corner of the internet and shares their "favorite" content from it. Your Mises.coms, LewRockwell.coms, basically anything Jrod and people like him are likely to link to when making an internet argument.

Or we could do some live exploration of a couple particular places, as one of the statist sheeple, I'm open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mincome is actually approaching acceptability in some areas and could be achieved. I don't even know what a maximum income would be. Surely you achieve a sort of soft cap if you have a high end bracket with a very high tax rate; at a certain point they'll take their pay in other things or reinvest the money.

Plus a maximum income (and I haven't heard any arguments for a formal one) might well be a far, far harder sell politically than a minimum income.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I want to, but I'm crazy busy this Sunday.

same, got work then dogs then wrasslin

next sunday on the other hand

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

I've still got to get out the one where me and dickeye talked about comics for four hours, but I had an idea for one in the hopefully near future, depending on how work goes. In March at the latest.

It'd basically be a Show and Tell where everyone participating visits some lovely libertarian corner of the internet and shares their "favorite" content from it. Your Mises.coms, LewRockwell.coms, basically anything Jrod and people like him are likely to link to when making an internet argument.

Or we could do some live exploration of a couple particular places, as one of the statist sheeple, I'm open to suggestions.

i like the idea of doing a livestream of us exploring bad poo poo, the best parts of the first two were people looking up weird poo poo and reading it as it became relevant

dog dick coffee table dot com

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You... you guys did WHAT?! :stare:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You... you guys did WHAT?! :stare:

Gay sex mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvUMmDF0I4

Also talking, but mostly gay sex

very communist

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

Gay sex mostly.

very communist

this is the one where i show up halfway in and forget to turn my mic on

the other one is the one with dog dick coffee table dot com

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Literally The Worst posted:

this is the one where i show up halfway in and forget to turn my mic on

the other one is the one with dog dick coffee table dot com

dog dick coffee table dot com is everywhere, if you believe hard enough

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paragon1 posted:

Gay sex mostly.

very communist

Oh, wow.

I guess JRod is good for something!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

dog dick coffee table dot com is everywhere, if you believe hard enough

i think you'll find that dog dick coffee table dot com was inside you, all along

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, wow.

I guess JRod is good for something!

These guys made a second video that was mostly them talking about the shitshow that is bitcoin, which was somewhat more interesting because there's so much weird content there but also some incorrect things were said, too

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

These guys made a second video that was mostly them talking about the shitshow that is bitcoin, which was somewhat more interesting because there's so much weird content there but also some incorrect things were said, too

Is there a transcript? Because there's no way I'm spending hours listening to either of them, I'm not really a radio person.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a transcript? Because there's no way I'm spending hours listening to either of them, I'm not really a radio person.

Try creating a smart contract on the blockchain, if you offer enough of a bounty then there's probably some plucky appliance out there that will accept your bitcoins and create a transcript of the chat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Mincome is actually approaching acceptability in some areas and could be achieved. I don't even know what a maximum income would be. Surely you achieve a sort of soft cap if you have a high end bracket with a very high tax rate; at a certain point they'll take their pay in other things or reinvest the money.

Plus a maximum income (and I haven't heard any arguments for a formal one) might well be a far, far harder sell politically than a minimum income.

That was actually the entire point of things like a 90% top marginal tax rate, really. The reason those sorts of things, and even an overall hard salary cap, is because of that "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" quote. Enough Americans believe that if they work real hard and want it bad enough they'll be billionaires some day and don't want to share the wealth that they earned.

Ignoring that almost nobody is a self-made billionaire. No, I take that back; absolutely nobody is a self-made billionaire.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

With jrode probated and this thread about to be closed, I was thinking on someone's reflection that jrode's arguments are naïvely iterative - when he linked that top ten states and 2 of them had slavery he just goes "oops, here's another one" - no necessary reflection on what it meant that he defended two slave states in the name of libertarianism.

It made me think about John Searle's Chinese room thought experiment, you know, the one where a woman is locked inside a room where her only contact with the outside world is pieces of paper being slipped under the door. They contain Chinese characters, and behind here is a shelf full of Chinese textbooks. She looks up the characters and eventually finds the ones that correspond to the ones on the paper, and the book appears to provide a standard response, so she writes down the standard response and slides the piece of paper back under the door.

On the other side of this door is a native Chinese speaker who then receives what appears to be the words of another Chinese speaker who's responding to them, perhaps stiffly, and with poor handwriting, but making sense. So they write back another reply, and the woman in the room looks it up and writes back something that satisfies the person outside the room as valid Chinese, and this continues on and on.

The experiment was asking 'does the woman in the room actually understand Chinese, or is she simulating understanding without actually being aware about what she was writing. And of course most of us would argue it's the latter.

jrode's argument style, wherein he responds to specific criticisms of his words with often unrelated screeds, reminds me of the simulations of Chinese from the thought experiment. Simulated logic, no understanding of what he's talking about. Like a libertarianism AI construct programmed to respond to our input with the best look-up methods it can manage.

But then he challenged Dickeye to a fist fight and pussied out when it was accepted, so never mind

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tesseraction posted:

But then he challenged Dickeye to a fist fight and pussied out when it was accepted, so never mind

Accidentally consulted a Chinese translation of Fight Club for a response that time.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Dickeye did you ever do anything with the podcast I mixed and mastered for you?

E:

Tesseraction posted:

- chinese room -

Something libertarians love to do, and I know this because I get dozens and dozens of comments from them on my videos, is break down a counter-argument into composite parts so thoroughly that they no longer have to engage with the argument, and can simply shoot down individual phrases, but sometimes just individual words, and sometimes even jokes that didn't have any relevance to the point being made.

I think that process is key to libertarian thinking. It's an allusion to 'objectivity' (coughs sarcastically) in some abstractly pseudoscientific sense, where you're breaking things down into composite parts and rebutting them piece-by-piece, but in doing this you actually lose the essence of the argument. This gets more glaring when you notice that certain topics get brushed off in single sentences. In their second post Rode just writes 'communism is a disaster and everyone knows this' and moves on to the next thing.

So libertarian thinking consists of filibustering opposing points of view into oblivion by offering more and more quibbles without actually engaging with the point, combined with very specific assertions about what makes society good, which change and shift in accordance to new evidence and are usually unfalsifiable - society gets better when things are laissez-faire, oops, turns out I accidentally supported slavery there, erm, slavery doesn't count! - backed up with common knowledge - 'because if you're smart, like I'm sure I am, you already know X and I don't have to prove it or think about it more than this'.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 19, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The difference between a philosophy and a religion is that one comforts you with the thought that things are fundamentally more complex than they seem, and the other, that they are more simple. At any given moment, a person might be in a more philosophical/critical mood, or a more religious/reductionist one, but some people sure seem to have a pervasive craving one way or the other. We've probably all been guilty of underestimating the importance or subtlety of an unfamiliar subject, and it can be embarrassing to realize our ignorance...so why not double down and openly deny the subject's depth and importance, even in the face of all evidence? You might say this isn't a very convincing debating tactic, but only philosophies benefit from debate, whereas religions demand devotion.

That's how I understand the kinds of doomed proselytizing you see in YouTube comments and this thread: for jrode it's a form of prayer.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

That's actually something else I notice in comments. There's this insistence that 'the free market', again in some kind of abstract way, would make things better for everyone if it weren't for X people blocking the way with their...light criticism of portrayals of characters in video games and movies. These people, unsurprisingly, usually have a tenuous understanding of how markets actually work.

Guy in my comments section, calling themselves The Crimson Fucker, is very, very upset that the new Ghostbusters are women. It is proof that there is a conspiracy to destroy things he likes. Perhaps, if he complains loudly enough in the comments of a video about cultural marxism, the writers and creatives who decided to make the film that way will become uncorrupted by feminism and make a 'normal, pure' Ghostbusters film. Presumably with all men.

It doesn't help that the free market in libertarian fantasy functions like a god. If you just trust the invisible hand, everything will be okay. What? The rich are getting richer? Don't complain. Let the free market do its work. If you complain that's censorship. All lives matter.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 19, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wait, The Crimson Fucker? That's the fake troll name of Hellsing from the TeamFourStar parody of Hellsing. Is someone seriously using a specifically designated troll name and expecting to be taken seriously?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hbomberguy posted:

Dickeye did you ever do anything with the podcast I mixed and mastered for you?

E:

Something libertarians love to do, and I know this because I get dozens and dozens of comments from them on my videos, is break down a counter-argument into composite parts so thoroughly that they no longer have to engage with the argument, and can simply shoot down individual phrases, but sometimes just individual words, and sometimes even jokes that didn't have any relevance to the point being made.

I think that process is key to libertarian thinking. It's an allusion to 'objectivity' (coughs sarcastically) in some abstractly pseudoscientific sense, where you're breaking things down into composite parts and rebutting them piece-by-piece, but in doing this you actually lose the essence of the argument. This gets more glaring when you notice that certain topics get brushed off in single sentences. In their second post Rode just writes 'communism is a disaster and everyone knows this' and moves on to the next thing.

So libertarian thinking consists of filibustering opposing points of view into oblivion by offering more and more quibbles without actually engaging with the point, combined with very specific assertions about what makes society good, which change and shift in accordance to new evidence and are usually unfalsifiable - society gets better when things are laissez-faire, oops, turns out I accidentally supported slavery there, erm, slavery doesn't count! - backed up with common knowledge - 'because if you're smart, like I'm sure I am, you already know X and I don't have to prove it or think about it more than this'.

Nope because I am a horrible human being who hates his own projects too much.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Wait, The Crimson Fucker? That's the fake troll name of Hellsing from the TeamFourStar parody of Hellsing. Is someone seriously using a specifically designated troll name and expecting to be taken seriously?

Yup:

This is an excerpt from one of many ridiculously long comments. Whether they openly identify as libertarian or not, you can see the tacit belief that there's a way the market 'should' function - you have fans, and cannon [sic] and you 'serve' the fans and stay true to the canon. But the fans are being screwed over by 'outside forces'. Feminazis, SJWs, what have you, who are altering the canon to make it more feminist, and this is bad and dangerous and they're trying to take over our minds. The company is doing this because they're being greedy ("to make a quick buck").

The assumption is that the natural order is for fans to get exactly what they want, in accordance with what they believe is the unchangeable parts of the canon, in this case the genders of the main characters, and in doing so they give the corporation their money, and everything is fine.

Unfortunately this underestimates how markets actually work in a fundamental way. Big companies are smart. They know how fandom actually works, from an economic perspective. Fans throw money at things they identify as 'fans' of, even if they're a little worried it's not going to be great. Is Crimson Fucker going to spend money to see Ghostbusters, even if only to see how bad it is (in his dumbshit opinion)? Oh, I'll bet!
Additionally, properties with massive popcultural impact will sell regardless. In other words it's actually in the company's best interest to make something that will appeal to new people who might not have liked the original, or been interested in going to see it. In other words, basic economics doesn't actually serve fans when it comes to stuff that 'goes over' and becomes popular in a wider way, because they already have your money and they know it. Instead of accepting this and maybe learning to be critical of free-market economics itself (because the consumer loses out in more than just films they're fans of (which is a loving stupid problem to obsess about), but all over the place for a wide variety of reasons, planned obsolescence etc.), it's easier to pretend the company has somehow been 'corrupted' and can be fixed if you shout hard enough or something. Which, as Hawkins points out, is essentially prayer.

They also denounce the greed of corporations, as if wanting to make money wasn't the entire modus operandi of a corporation.Presumably, corporations actually exist solely to do nice things for their fans.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The thread is due to be closed on Sunday still right? I need to remind myself to write up that roast by tomorrow then. I dunno, maybe it's my ethnic time preference kicking in? :effort:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hbomberguy posted:

Yup:

This is an excerpt from one of many ridiculously long comments. Whether they openly identify as libertarian or not, you can see the tacit belief that there's a way the market 'should' function - you have fans, and cannon [sic] and you 'serve' the fans and stay true to the canon. But the fans are being screwed over by 'outside forces'. Feminazis, SJWs, what have you, who are altering the canon to make it more feminist, and this is bad and dangerous and they're trying to take over our minds. The company is doing this because they're being greedy ("to make a quick buck").

The assumption is that the natural order is for fans to get exactly what they want, in accordance with what they believe is the unchangeable parts of the canon, in this case the genders of the main characters, and in doing so they give the corporation their money, and everything is fine.

Unfortunately this underestimates how markets actually work in a fundamental way. Big companies are smart. They know how fandom actually works, from an economic perspective. Fans throw money at things they identify as 'fans' of, even if they're a little worried it's not going to be great. Is Crimson Fucker going to spend money to see Ghostbusters, even if only to see how bad it is (in his dumbshit opinion)? Oh, I'll bet!
Additionally, properties with massive popcultural impact will sell regardless. In other words it's actually in the company's best interest to make something that will appeal to new people who might not have liked the original, or been interested in going to see it. In other words, basic economics doesn't actually serve fans when it comes to stuff that 'goes over' and becomes popular in a wider way, because they already have your money and they know it. Instead of accepting this and maybe learning to be critical of free-market economics itself (because the consumer loses out in more than just films they're fans of (which is a loving stupid problem to obsess about), but all over the place for a wide variety of reasons, planned obsolescence etc.), it's easier to pretend the company has somehow been 'corrupted' and can be fixed if you shout hard enough or something. Which, as Hawkins points out, is essentially prayer.

They also denounce the greed of corporations, as if wanting to make money wasn't the entire modus operandi of a corporation.Presumably, corporations actually exist solely to do nice things for their fans.

Wait, they subscribe to libertarian theory and are suddenly shocked and surprised when companies do things to make money? Isn't that the entire loving point of the free market that they endorse?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

It is, but the tacit underlying belief is that the market secretly supports them.

When that turns out not to be the case, well...time to harass journalists on twitter.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hbomberguy posted:

That's actually something else I notice in comments. There's this insistence that 'the free market', again in some kind of abstract way, would make things better for everyone if it weren't for X people blocking the way with their...light criticism of portrayals of characters in video games and movies. These people, unsurprisingly, usually have a tenuous understanding of how markets actually work.

It doesn't help that the free market in libertarian fantasy functions like a god. If you just trust the invisible hand, everything will be okay. What? The rich are getting richer? Don't complain. Let the free market do its work. If you complain that's censorship. All lives matter.
I've often encountered this libertarian streak in gamers who complain loudly at any attempt to make a games more inclusive. They define "censorship" as "any opposition to my opinions being treated as fact" and the best "free market" solution is one that gives them everything they want, crafted to their personal tastes, for free. It's a remarkably selfish and childish viewpoint, even by libertarian standards.

I think that libertarianism is the symptom and not the cause, here. The cause is that they're immature, and possibly alienated and poorly adjusted to adulthood to boot.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I've often encountered this libertarian streak in gamers who complain loudly at any attempt to make a games more inclusive. They define "censorship" as "any opposition to my opinions being treated as fact" and the best "free market" solution is one that gives them everything they want, crafted to their personal tastes, for free. It's a remarkably selfish and childish viewpoint, even by libertarian standards.

I think that libertarianism is the symptom and not the cause, here. The cause is that they're immature, and possibly alienated and poorly adjusted to adulthood to boot.

My favorite part is when these people complain about how those "dirty SJWs" are so evil for saying they won't buy the product as is. But if the company obliges and works to fix whatever the problem might have been, then the "real gamers" will instantly go 'I'm not buying any of your games ever again'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only moral boycott is my boycott.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Curse the free market of ideas for not pandering to me specifically!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Halloween Jack posted:

The only moral boycott is my boycott.

And from that one Call of Duty group, we know they're not actually going to boycott anything.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Halloween Jack posted:

Rodimus accused me of "the worst kind of 21st Century censorship" for calling him a racist after the "any young black guy I see on the street is probably a gang member" incident.

As for the rest of the post, it's a typical response to the idea of capitalism giving people just deserts. The "invisible hand" was explicitly the hand of Providence in the Wealth of Nations, and the idea of the market as a karmic force has never really gone away. So when the market starts rewarding the "unworthy," the problem must be that the free market is being distorted, not that the free market is amoral (or even that your ideology is immoral).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

A good example of this, though not from a libertarian: https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us

But to be honest, I think this is really a generally bad debate process that's common on the Internet overall, not just with libertarians.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Wait, they subscribe to libertarian theory and are suddenly shocked and surprised when companies do things to make money? Isn't that the entire loving point of the free market that they endorse?

Hbomberguy posted:

It is, but the tacit underlying belief is that the market secretly supports them.

When that turns out not to be the case, well...time to harass journalists on twitter.

Yeah, the ranting at corporations is the funniest part to me and reveals how much libertarianism really is a theory of capitalist inadequacy. I mean, I can see the complaint when it comes to creative works in general. The idea is that there's a conflict of interests between creators, who want to make something good and also make money, and the businesses they have to deal with, who only want to make money. Fans who appreciate the good things the creator wants to do get mad when it looks like that's being subverted in the interests of making money.

That this supposedly comes in the specific form of "SJW pandering" is revealing about who one considers an actual fan, i.e., presumably, girls don't like Ghostbusters (???). But for any problems with the idea of the tension between creators and businesses, it's more plausible coming from someone who does not believe that the profit motive is miraculous.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Nolanar posted:

Rodimus accused me of "the worst kind of 21st Century censorship" for calling him a racist after the "any young black guy I see on the street is probably a gang member" incident.

I can't find the post but there was a thing in either the DnD or PYF "idiots on social media" thread where someone was mad about being called a racist and said "I have the right to my opinion without having a label slapped on me because of it". Of course, it was because they said some really racist poo poo.

Libertarians and conservatives are under the impression that "free speech" means "saying whatever I want to whoever, wherever, whenever and having zero consequeneces in any way whatsoever". That and the "everyone has a right to an opinion, you can't say my opinion is wrong!" is the sort of thing that you'd expect self-styled hard-nosed realists to mock but quelle putain de surprise they're bigger thin skinned babies than they imagine Millenial college students to be.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 19, 2016

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hbomberguy posted:

It made me laugh really hard when each Atlas Shrugged movie bombed harder than the last one, to the point that the creators were begging people on kickstarter just to finish the series.

The free market must be one of those trickster gods, I guess :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hbomberguy, thank you for watching probably hours of these idiots at a time for each of your reaction videos so I don't have to. :patriot:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hbomberguy posted:

Their male, straight, white fans.

Tesseraction posted:

jrode's argument style, wherein he responds to specific criticisms of his words with often unrelated screeds, reminds me of the simulations of Chinese from the thought experiment. Simulated logic, no understanding of what he's talking about. Like a libertarianism AI construct programmed to respond to our input with the best look-up methods it can manage.
He reminds me a great deal of the couple times I got into it with 9/11 conspiracy theorists before I learned better. I figured out that the person I was arguing with was just frantically Googling so that he could link as many irrelevant bits of "evidence" as possible. Meanwhile, JRod posts sources he hasn't read, then whines that we're "ignoring the substance" when we, uh, actually engage with the substance. He has no notion of argument besides dropping a TRUTH BOMB and then...?

By the by, is there a formal name for the tactic where you drop a link to an essay or an entire book and say "read this and then get back to me or else you concede the debate?" He used to love that one. I don't feel obliged to read the entirety of mises.org since he obviously doesn't read much of what he posts.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Halloween Jack posted:

By the by, is there a formal name for the tactic where you drop a link to an essay or an entire book and say "read this and then get back to me or else you concede the debate?" He used to love that one. I don't feel obliged to read the entirety of mises.org since he obviously doesn't read much of what he posts.

If it doesn't count as a true Gish Gallop, it's a close relative.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nolanar posted:

Be respectful. It is now known as the Duane Tolbert Gish Memorial Gallop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nolanar posted:

Well the Gish Gallop was exactly what I had previously mentioned, from when I got into it with an idiot truther--I tried to focus on a particular source, but this guy ended up insisting that the alleged hijackers didn't do 9/11 because he read a story about suicide bombers shaving their body hair, which means all terrorists do it, and body hair obviously means all hair, so 9/11 was an inside job because the hijackers weren't bald from head to toe. It was amazing.

There ought to be a separate category for when you try to assign thousands of pages of homework as a condition of debate.

• Locked thread