Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jrodefeld posted:

Note to mods: You know who I am. I'm a libertarian who is staring his own thread, which is acceptable according to the rules, I assume? There are two reasons I want to start a specific thread rather than retread over the "other" libertarian thread and just post comments there. In the first place, I want this discussion to be more narrow in scope. And I want to say something at the beginning that everyone will have a chance to read. On Caros's thread, he specifically poisoned the well from the very beginning by writing an OP describing libertarianism and its adherents in an unflattering and, from my perspective, misleading way. By the time I first posted on that thread, there had already been something like two hundred pages of people making GBS threads on libertarianism before I had a chance to defend it. And since the thread was almost entirely directed at me in particular (it would not exist without my having posted here in the past), you can understand how I'd like to have a bit more discretion about the framing of the debate when I am outnumbered 30 to 1.

how loving stupid do you have to be to start a thread this way

i literally can't even get past this paragraph

is there any sign that he's figured out elasticity of demand yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Jrod how much do you cost? Not your labor, you.

Let me know, I won't be in the market forever.

well you see, no price can be put on ME, because i have respect myself. others, however...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

sorry i'm not posting more in this thread guys, i'm too busy getting my 763rd CAT scan and my 229th MRI since moving to the glorious communist republic of canada earlier this week. because they're free, and therefore my demand for them is infinite, because simple reciprocal supply-demand calculations are literally the only thing anyone needs to, or indeed could, understand about economics

jrode i was at the FDR presidential library a while back and it was pretty good, explained how people like you caused and prolonged the great depression and only massive government spending got us out of it, it was pretty good, you should probably read up on it. or, well, anything at all for that matter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

Egypt - Famously owned a shiton of slaves.
Assyrian/Persian - May or may not have abolished slavery under Cyrus the Great. Still had tons of debt slaves and almost certainly had a lot of 'servants'
Seleucid -Loved them some slaves.
Rome - You better believe these guys loved some slaves
Abbasids - "Conquests had brought enormous wealth and large numbers of slaves tot he muslim elite"
Mongols - :black101:

And slavery is alive and well across the world today, including in Jrode's beloved home country. Only difference is that now we call it "human trafficking" or "prison labor [in privately-run prisons]".

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Property is eft.

wikipedia informs me this is the step between tadpole and newt

i'm considering turning this into an allegory for the adolescent idiocy of property rights, but i'll allow the free market of ideas figure out the ideal way to do that, rather than imposing my statist will on the joke

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

When you say I can do what I want to my own body as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else, what does that mean?

Let's take heroin, for example. Have you've seen what opioid addiction can do to a person. It's terrible. Their get skinny, short term memory is shot to hell, and they become a shell of themselves.

It really hurt me to see my friend turn that way.

emotion isn't real, you are weak and will be selected as unfit

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

This pretty simply deals with the issue of why using something as simple as 'maximize happiness' can be problematic.

I never understood this critique. Maybe there's an actual meaningful argument that it's a hugely hyperbolic version of, but even in the most mathematical system of utilitarianism I don't see how a concept of diminishing returns, or setting a mandatory minimum bound below which no individual should be driven, or targeting median rather than mean happiness, don't all render the utility monster utterly pointless.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

Oh I don't think that is accurate, I just think it serves as a wonderful illustration as to why basing all of human existence off of a single concept is a bad idea, regardless of if that concept is self ownership or maximize happiness.

People are complicated and can't be explained so easily was my point.

Yeah, and I guess my response is driving the same point—pretending anything about people is simple is rarely going to end well. Excellent.

I am genuinely curious about utility monsters though so please, people in this thread, inform me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Mattybee posted:

Remember when Muscle Tracer called you out on not answering that question about healthcare and elasticity? Here, let me post it again for you, just in case at some point you forgot.

and the best part was, when he finally answered it, his answer was literally "doctors are good people and wouldn't do that"

that's when i stopped posting and started shitposting

p.s., gently caress you jrode. you are worse than an idiot, you are one of those willfully ignorant fucks that has become so invested in sucking the dick of some white rear end in a top hat that you can't see beyond the forest of pubes interlocking with your eyelashes. the tenets of your ideology are everything that is wrong with the united states and the world at large. kill yourself.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

Let's get this straight though. I am not obligated to answer every single post on YOUR schedule. I've wasted far more time than I should on these forums. It's like you are unaware that unlike apparently some of you, I actually have a day job, family obligations and other hobbies. If I don't post here every loving week or every month, it doesn't make me a "coward" who had to concede defeat.

nice revisionist history fuckhole, for literally three months you avoided what was essentially the only non-caros effortpost in the thread in favor of telling off people who pointed out that paul levesque is a massive loving racist, while people continually asked you what you thought of inelasticity of demand. a valid, effortful thought experiment was posed that completely shatters your ideology and you refused to even acknowledge it, much less try to address it. and you still haven't even tried to engage with it, because as has been correctly pointed out over and over again you are a spineless coward who doesn't even have the courage to understand his own loving ideas. crawl back into the cesspit that spawned you and drown yourself in the sea of pus and excrement that shaped you.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wait so we aren't talking about Triple H?

i've been making this joke for months and nobody ever noticed :smith:

Muscle Tracer posted:

paul levesque is a massive loving racist

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

Politics in general is a touchy subject. Vaccination talk for example will bring me into a near blinding rage because I've seen my young niece hacking her lungs up in agony because she couldn't be vaccinated and other people were too irresponsible to keep up their end of the social contract. Its simply hard to get as consistently angry about things that don't matter, such as Batmans compared to things that do like lifesaving healthcare and the distribution thereof.

Vaccines are also one of those things that it's impossible to separate emotion from reason on, because people on both sides believe (well, in one case KNOW) that the other side is creating a massive public health issue that's literally killing people. I have a friend whose child has severe allergies and is one of the rare people who legit can't have vaccines because he's allergic to the preservatives—which you'd think would make his parents super pro-vaccine, since their son can still benefit from vaccines if everyone else is vaccinated. But nope, they're staunch anti-vaxxers because they saw their baby hurt by vaccines.

They even know that he's one in a million, they just can't think about it logically.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

is this because of snow crash?

hopefully they get to the pizza delivery ninjas sooner than the libertarian reef

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

IF everyone agrees to NAP
THEN libertopia :911:
ELSE mooch off the welfare state and moan about how there's no way around it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

cheese posted:

Wrong, we live in a world of abundance where we have the technology to meet the reasonable needs of every human. We do not because humans are greedy creatures. Thanks for trying though.

The flip side of this is that we live in a world of absolute scarcity of those things that cannot be purchased, like respect, trust, fulfillment, self-esteem, and so forth. One of the common arguments for the free market and against welfare states is that it would destroy people's motivations to no longer be at risk of starving to death, ignoring the very real scarcity of these other non-buyable things that people might reasonably get out of providing value to society.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

This is your problem: you fundamentally misunderstand DROs if you think they're customer-service oriented entities that cater to individual yeoman farmers. DROs make the laws, and you accept whatever laws the DRO you can afford tells you to accept, because DRO coverage is mandatory and not having it is punishable by death (either quickly by criminal elements who take advantage or slowly by starvation and exposure because it's illegal to sell or trade with an uncovered person).

Here, take a minute and read this primer on DROs that jrod posted in an earlier incarnation of this thread. As you're reading it, keep in mind that it is an argument in favor of DROs and stateless law enforcement.

Let me reiterate: the above was posted by jrodefeld to convince us to adopt this system, and not an exercise in speculative fiction about how a horrific Shadowrun dystopia would function.

good god i tried to read the entire article and couldn't get 5 paragphs. i am continually amazed by the libertarian's capacity for willful ignorance

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

How would the crimes of children be handled by a DRO? If little 8 year old Johnny gets into his neighbor's SUV and accidentally backs over their indentured gardener, is he responsible for manslaughter, theft, trespassing, or all three? Or are his parents the ones who get whacked?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Disinterested posted:

In this situation it would be analagous to a legal proceedings with regard to the act of a slave in, say, the early-mid Roman empire or a Greek city state. The slave is represented by the master, and you handle the matter through financial compensation or through some pre-agreed schedule of punishments particular to that class. It's certainly the case that in the extreme libertarian analysis children are property of their parents: some libertarians Jrode likes, like Walter Block, have even argued for a limited moral and legal right to sell children in to prostitution or slavery.

But if a child is property, it seems ridiculous to punish the child. If my gun shoots a man while it's in my hand, it's me we punish, not the gun. If my child runs over a man while ostensibly under my supervision, it should logically follow that I am the one that's culpable for the trespassing, theft, and manslaughter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Disinterested posted:

This is a pretty inane argument. If I negligently let my cow out of a field and it tramples your property, you will have a remedy against me in any moral or legal system of any kind, virtually. With a slave you could proceed against the master and the slave both, with different forms of punishment for each - that is the historic pattern.

So what I'm getting here is that some form of punishment must be devised for my gun after I use it to take vengeance for the life of my gardener?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

human action posted:

The critic either tells us what he believes he would aim at if he were in the place of his fellow; or, in dictatorial arrogance blithely disposing of his fellow's will and aspirations, declares what condition of this other man would better suit himself, the critic.

:ironicat:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Disinterested posted:

...most people KNOW THAT TO have apple products and asthma IS IN THEIR BEST INTERESTS, BUT NOT TO pay taxes.

I KNOW.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it actually possible to establish a currency system that protects itself? The Roman emperors had no trouble I can remember when they deemed it necessary to mint debased coins.

did somebody say BLOCKCHAIN ?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Jrode, I want to diverge from libertarianism, racism and slavery or whatever for a moment and talk about the philosophy of philosophy.

The goal of philosophy is to understand the world, and how it can work best. In a world where people disagree, that effectively means the goal of philosophy is to be right.

But it's also OK to be wrong. I'm sure we can all admit that in our childhood we were all wrong about many things, and most people feel the same about adolescence, and many about college and even their adulthood. I personally cringe at the ideas I held even a few years ago, and can point to ways my opinions and ideas are changing regularly.

For instance, at one point on these very forums, I made the claim that capital gains tax was paid on any increase in the value of your assets, not even realizing that "realized gains" was a thing. Many people immediately called me an idiot, and I slunk off for a while. If I'd been called out on it on my return, I would've said "I was wrong," and moved on.

Admitting that does not mean that my conception of economics and the world was completely shattered. It does not make me wrong—in fact, although it makes me wrong in the past, it makes me more right in the present. When others point out my mistakes, I thank them for correcting me, because I want to be correct NOW, not to have been correct in the past.

And this is the way the world works—outside the realm of philosophy, I'm sure you admit you're wrong all the time. If you miss an exit, you don't insist that that wasn't the exit and keep cruising down the highway. If you hand a waitress a 10 when you mean to hand a 20, you don't insist your debt is paid. When you're taking on a new task at work, you don't assume your intuition is more correct than the corrections of others who have done that before. And in any of those cases, refusing to admit you're wrong wouldn't make you right, but would rather continue your past wrongness into the present.

I'm not asking you to recant libertarianism here. I'm not talking about your philosophy at the macro level, but the micro level.

It's OK to say, "I didn't notice Qatar on that list, and I agree with your point and retract that example." It's also OK to say "I didn't realize there was slavery in Qatar, and I agree with your point and retract that example." Whatever reason you posted that link you don't HAVE to defend chattel slavery if that wasn't your original intent.

If you admit that you were misinformed or uninformed but made a post anyway, we will all respect you more for it. We're all blowhards arguing on the Internet, and we've all overstepped our knowledge and made factual errors. We know what it's like, and we'll respect you more for it. Again, we've all done it many times, and we won't think less of you for ADMITTING that you walk back ideas and evolve and disown old opinions, rather than doing so silently and insisting you always thought this way. We don't care if you were correct 1500 posts ago, we care if you're correct now.

I hope this post has some meaning for you, and that it really is discomfort accepting mistakes (a tremendously common trait, especially in America, and which you should not be ashamed of) that casues you to go down the rabbithole defending racists, misogynists and slavers. If you recognize this and begin to pick your battles and admit wrongdoing, you'll find a lot more high-effort, respectful dialogue, and a lot fewer accusations of watermelon-loving.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ProfessorCurly posted:

Just to reiterate the point about "naive libertarians/bitcoiners," let us not forget that someone invented a bitcoin ripoff and called it Ponzicoin that, not only gained rather frightening amounts of support, but generated a great deal of outrage when the founder just moonwalked away with the money.

'New, from the captains of industry that brought you the term "honest ponzi..."'

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Humans act
Many humans act in a way that is counter to their wellbeing (e.g. engaging in discourse with one of the lesser races)
Therefore, humans cannot be trusted to act in their own best interest
Only I can be trusted to act in the best interest of mankind
Heil HHH

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

Pro-tip: It is okay to say "I don't want to engage in a verbal debate because I am bad at public speaking". People would respect you a lot more if you did that or came up with some other legitimate excuse that wasn't "I'm too cool and hip".

Sidenote: it's also OK to say this about anything, from "I wasn't aware that Qatar has slaves" to "I've never heard of elasticity of demand" to "This is a novel argument and I'd like to think about it for a few days before responding."

Honestly doing anything other than feeding the trolls and reposting your plagiarized screeds would be a colossal improvement.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

From a while back but I think this is a legitimately interesting questions. What could possibly justify apostasy?

This is kinda the saddest part of the thread, though: he's not a utilitarian, he's a deontologist. In Jrode's mind, Libertarianism is its own justification. He's said a couple times that he's not interested in determining which social system creates the most good for the most people—he's only interested in a system that preserves property rights, which he believes trump (or are at least synonymous with) the greater good. To him, property rights are the first principle from which all else is derived

That's not really the sort of thing you can ask why about. If the reverse happened, and someone asked me why I want the greatest good for the greatest number, I don't know if I could explain in a logical argumentative way. It's such a core part of what I believe to be right that any argument I could make would have to be based on it as an assumption, and if someone doesn't share it, it's very difficult to logic them into it.

It's similar to how a Christian might hold at the core of their worldview that God's will is more important than anything else. Well, it does suck for all the homosexuals, members of other religions, etc, but then again they're all going to hell anyway. If the Christian and I agree that God exists, but I don't agree that his will is important to how the world should work, how can he convince me?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Do you suppose he's a sock puppet? I get a weird feeling Jrod just realized he can create sock puppets and is assuming he's a brilliant person who thought of it first.

Jrode is not the sock puppet type. He's rereged the same account over and over again for years, and although he's not quite as self-referential as Eripsa his idea of his relationship with this forum is strong. I don't think he'd want to divorce himself from his current identity, especially because he has no qualms making those sorts of petty complaints already. It's not like he has a reputation to defend...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Caros posted:

To my recollection I have mentioned that precisely once on this entire forum, and that was only in response to jrod being a fuckhead and trying to throw :10bux: words at me as if I was some illiterate slob.

Yeah but that was pretty recent.

I just don't want to believe. Jrode's absolute toddler-like lack of guile and cunning is one of the reasons it's possible to find him endearing instead of just repugnant. If he's graduating into My First Puppetmaster malarky then I might finally have to unsubscribe from these threads forever :smith:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

Are you familiar with Emmanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative? As an essential part of his formulation of just ethics is the principle that moral action must be an action that can be willed to be universal law. Universalizability thus became an essential component of any just ethical rule and, by extension, any just law.

From Wikipedia:

The existence of a State necessitates the rejection of Universalizability as the basis for just law. The existence and tolerance of a State in society requires the belief that some human beings be granted the right to seize the property of others yet those not in government do NOT have this right. To simplify this concept "I may steal but you may not". How can this be a sustainable and defensible standard for a just society?

lol you can't even spell Immanuel despite having copy/pasted fro the loving wikipedia page, jesus loving christ

also this is a gross misrepresentation of universalization. there are laws that those who have committed felonies should not own guns. there are laws that say those under a given age cannot give meaningful consent, and that you cannot legally gently caress people who cannot give meaningful consent. these laws delineate people into groups, because universalization is not about all people being the same, it's about being able to make the same decision in all similar circumstances.

i'm not reading any of the other posts, hopefully nobody else already made this point

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

what is the likelihood that jrode is in fact 19 years old and has just begun his philosophy 101 elective, and thinks he's stumped us by formulating the categorical imperative in a needlessly specific way?

i mean i guess he could be taking adult education night classes or something but still

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

In which we learn that even the meaning of terms like "profit" escapes this Randian ubermensch. We have no use for semantics where we're going!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

if you HAD to ship one star wars character and one star trek character, which would you choose

this question is for jrode ONLY

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrode you are a bucket of stale urine

prove me wrong, working from the first principle that humans act

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nolanar posted:

I keep wanting to give their ideology the benefit of the doubt. I just assumed JRod is well-meaning and that he didn't realize he's parroting white supremacist rhetoric; and then nope, he thinks Trayvon Martin deserved to die for having candy. I assume JRod is an outlier, picking the worst thinkers and making the worst arguments; and then the few other libertarians who have posted have been a dude with the quickest intro-to-meltdown turnaround I've ever seen, an avowed white nationalist, and a dude whose entire range of opinion appeared to be tone arguments. I occasionally check in on the repository of all libertarian knowledge to see if they have stronger arguments, and come up with pages and pages of them writing the past into their narrative like astrologers and inventing new economic indicators when the current ones don't say what they like.

It's just, I really want to have an honest discussion with them, but there are no honest libertarians to talk to. Shitposting is a fun consolation prize, but it's a consolation prize nonetheless.

What you really need to ask yourself is whether someone being willfully dense and in denial about provable fact in the age of the Internet is an excuse or not. It's not really possible to be truly ignorant about issues that you genuinely find interesting anymore. The truth is readily available, and you have to have some of these other defects to continue to cling to such a lovely ideology, or the colossally bad luck to not be exposed to better ideas. Jrode obviously does not fall into the latter camp.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I cannot loving believe we are talking about racism again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nolanar posted:

JRod veers all over the goddamned place on consequentialism.

Jrode has made it clear several times that he is a deontologist who is attempting to persuade consequentialists with a consequentialist argument, even though it is not at the core of his belief system, because it is at the core of ours.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

however, I think I should be welcomed here as a libertarian contributor if only to enliven the discussion. It seems like some of you are just hoping I'll go away so you can have general ideological conformity. But what fun is that?

lol @ the words contributor and enliven

please leave and do not come back, ever, because you will never be able to respond to the substantive points made against your worldview, nor will you attempt to do so, nor will you even acknowledge that these points have been made

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

this makes me want to dig up my original "elasticity of demand" post about life-saving medical care, which he "responded" to months later with "PROFIT IS KING BUT NOBODY WOULD DO EVIL THINGS BECAUSE REASON"

e: here it is, maybe i can even find his response

Muscle Tracer posted:

You do not understand "inelasticity." Let me give you a two-part example:

I like chewing gum, but I don't really NEED to chew gum. If the price of gum went up 500%, I'd probably chew 20% as much gum. Gum is what we'd call "highly elastic"

I absolutely need an MRI so that the doctor can figure out what's wrong with my brain and why I'm having these seizures. If the doctor says "3000 bucks," I'll get one MRI. If the doctor says "6000 bucks," I'm still going to get one MRI. If the doctor said "20 bucks," I would actually STILL only get one MRI. Because I need it—it's "highly inelastic"—and that's a whole different story. The only way I'm going to not get an MRI is if it's so incredibly expensive that I can't afford it.

That last price point, $20, is key, by the way—inelasticity goes both ways. Not only will I still get one MRI no matter what, but I will also not get any more than one no matter the price. That means that there's extremely little incentive for medical providers to reduce their costs. The only incentive to reduce price is if you're losing customers to competitors, but in most parts of the US there are no competitors, or one or two at most. If that sounds similar to Comcast and Time Warner's price gouging and unwillingness to enter the 21st century, that's because it is. There's very little competition in medicine for many reasons, but a large part of it is similar to ISPs: a huge amount of infrastructure is required, especially if you consider the training and expertise of the hospital's employees ("human resources" after all) as infrastructure. So, just like no plucky ISPs are popping up providing better services than Comcast, it's extremely unlikely that a competitor is going to pop up offering comparable services at competitive costs.

So, the capitalist hospital, like all other capitalist enterprises, has one goal when it comes to pricing: find the equilibrium point between supply and demand. Well, demand is almost infinite--it only starts to taper away when it becomes impossible for patients to afford. Doesn't it make logical sense that an enterprise in the business of maximizing its profits would do so by fixing the highest price that people are willing to pay? And if not, why not? There's little to no competition, the demand is inelastic. What is going to drive down the price of essential care?

ee: lol the time stamps on these posts

jrodefeld posted:

My first response about healthcare is to note that healthcare inelasticity is not a new phenomenon. If you needed heart surgery in the 1950s or you would die you would pay whatever the cost was as long as you could gather the money, borrow the money or steal the money to pay. Yet healthcare costs were much lower throughout the history of the United States.

This chart is very relevant:

http://mises.org/sites/default/files/holly1.jpg

Normal inflation levels don't account for the exponential rise in healthcare costs that we have seen in recent decades. As the above chart makes clear, healthcare costs stayed at about the level of the Consumer Price Index from 1910 all the way until the late 1960s, when healthcare costs began to rise exponentially and outpace the general inflation rate of other consumer goods as tracked by the CPI.

The supply of medical care services is much lower than it otherwise would be do to medical lobbying and special privilege. We talk frequently about crony capitalism and unfortunately the medical care sector of the economy is riddled with the phenomenon. For a century entrenched medical care interests have lobbied for legislation that reduces potential competition through licensing requirements, monopoly privilege grants and subsidies. The AMA went after lodge doctors and others who provided low cost medical services to the lower classes because they were being undercut on price.

This has persisted. The supply has gone down while the demand has gone up, which naturally leads to higher costs. If the supply was increased and demand stayed the same, prices would be pushed downward.

Even if demand is inelastic, and remember that it is only inelastic for some medical care services (there are plenty of optional medical treatments, tests and doctors visits whose demand would surely change based on the price level), a greater supply of the service by competing suppliers would still push the price downward. What advantage would it be for ALL medical care providers to collude and raise prices for, say, heart surgery at the same time? You are still only going to choose one doctor or hospital to get the procedure done. And if all hospitals have colluded and are charging the same high price, you will make your decision on other factors than price. You will likely choose only that hospital that has the very best doctor.

But what of the hospitals with less experienced doctors? Or less state-of-the-art facilities and amenities? How are they going to attract customers? Naturally the only way they could differentiate themselves in the marketplace is to compete on price. The doctors may be less experienced but the price is also significantly lower. It only takes one to break a cartel by undercutting the price fixing scheme.

It doesn't matter how "inelastic" the demand for heart surgery may be, an individual hospital or healthcare provider on the market will still want you to choose THEM to perform the procedure not one of their competitors. So there will be an incentive to compete on prices. Providers will want to serve every market. Some clinics may choose very basic and simple offices and buildings to perform their procedures. This reduces overhead and allows them to offer procedures at a much lower price to, say, Stanford or the Mayo Clinic.

The fact remains that it wasn't inelasticity of demand that caused medical care costs to begin to drastically outpace the consumer price index over the last forty years. It was State involvement in medical care through a series of legislative actions and increasing Federal funding of medical care costs that artificially inflated costs, led to increased demand and increased regulations that artificially restricted supply.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Bryter posted:

That all capital, whether material or mental, being the result of collective labor, is, in consequence, collective property;

I know libertarians are often anti-IP, and jrode certainly is when it suits him, but this bit in particular has me wondering. How you can claim that the world is a meritocracy that rewards people in proportion to how much they benefit society, when people long dead are still benefiting the living, without recompense? The discoveries of, say, Isaac Newton or Johannes Gutenberg have tremendously improved the world, but it's totally impossible for him, being dead, and even his ancestry, long since being diluted, to reap the benefits, even if you could somehow quantify them.

I know it seems petty and ridiculous to say "but how would you compensate the dead," but it's just such a straightforward example that you cannot claim that all proceeds of a discovery or endeavor go to its progenitor. That's just not how things work--nobody today can claim to be solely responsible for anything, because they're standing on the backs of Newton and Gutenberg and a billion other dead men and women.

So if we can admit that about the dead, why can't you admit it about living workers, too?

• Locked thread