Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

hellban all of us so that only jrode can see our posts, and we can only see his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I think it's pretty hard to top this:

Ignoring the recent dollops of poo poo that have landed in this thread to say—holy poo poo. When he says 'EVERY conflict,' that must include things like breakups, or fighting over whether the kids are gonna be raised Catholic or Jewish, or whether we're going to go on vacation to Iceland or the Grand Canyon. So is he seriously proposing making ownership of feelings, religion, and vacation individual and exclusive?

no, he's unable to conceived of the actual lives of humans

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's also incredibly frustrating to hear it from conservatives like Mitt Romney who are intentionally misleading voters with simplistic logic and manipulation through co-opting the myth of the plucky self-made small business entrepreneur, and are also likely severely out of touch in terms of socioeconomic status and access to venture capital through their connections.

It's like when an architecture school has a wildly successful architect come to their graduation ceremony: you think it's all gonna be roses.

In fact, 90% of 'startups' fail, and 35% of small businesses in general fail in the first two years, and 50% by the fifth year.

So yeah, anybody can be an entrepreneur, as long as they're willing to start a dozen companies between college graduation and being able to collect social security.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Like, is there any interesting pattern here: https://data.oecd.org/emp/self-employment-rate.htm

"We should be more like... uhh... Greece! And... Colombia, and Turkey!"

I'm sad they don't specify which Korea, although I'm sure it's just South.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I miss Eripsa :(

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Historically, such despots have concealed their true intentions by claiming that only a strong central authority can adequately protect the individual. But in practice, from whom did the state "protect" the individual? From family members (wives from their husbands, children from their parents), from churches, from communities. And it has done so by increasing its own power at the expense of these institutions

This is really worth a read, if anyone just glanced past it. God forbid a wife be protected from a husband, or a child from its parents!!! Because husbands certainly never do bad things to their families...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

For my closing statement I'll just reiterate what we've all been saying for a long, long time:

Human interaction is a lot more complex than basic supply and demand you stupid fucker. Time to graduate to ECON 201 at loving least, dear god.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Before this thread gets locked, I just want to say I enjoyed it and will miss it and all of you. Except for Jrod.

I mean, there is a whole other Libertarianism thread...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

So I'll just ask this question because I am genuinely curious. Forgetting the historical gold standard, why don't the left support a mechanism which limits the expansion of the money supply in order to limit inflation and curtail the enrichment of the corporate class and the endless expansion of the State? This, to me, seems like a very Progressive cause since this is one of the biggest drivers of inequality and corporate privilege.

Didn't see anyone else mention this so I figured I'd point out the obvious—

Inflation is great for poor people, because the poorest Americans are so loving poor they are actually hugely in debt. Inflation causes their debt to be worth less and less over time. The only people it harms is people with significant savings, which is to say, people who can handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Stinky_Pete posted:

My internship in the summer of 2013 paid me $18/hr and I was doing data mining and analysis and I had to pass 3 technical interviews to get it.

My affluent parents actually forbade me from getting a job prior to college because (I'm guessing in retrospect) they didn't want me to be influenced by people who, say, smoke weed behind the dumpster during their break. My only job experience before that internship was some library volunteer hours and a few week-long day camps.

Probably also To Focus On Your Education

• Locked thread