Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It was equally shocking to learn that one of jrod's top thinkers, who candidly speaks about the constitutionality of racial segregation, and who thinks the Confederacy was great and abolitionists were extremist usurpers, is a founding member of the noted white supremacist hate-group The League of the South.

To be fair he totally hasn't gone to meetings in years and only associated with them when they were cool people who were into confederate history and secession talk, not when they were white supremacists. :eyeroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Closing arguments. If jrodefeld returns for even a single additional comment his general poo poo posting will have outlasted my marriage.

Stop and think about how much time you have wasted jrodefeld. I hope you learn to do something better with your life you heaping sack of poo poo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It is extremely unfair and disingenuous to use such a loaded term as "shooting with guns" to describe a kinetically-applied market correction.

You are good people Absurd Alhazred.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TLM3101 posted:

Same here. :ohdear:

Please be okay, Caros.

Breakups are never pretty, divorces even less so. Still, that is what whiskey is for. Sweet, sweet whisky.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Even John Kenneth Galbraith, no libertarian or fan of gold, had it correct: “In the last [19th] century in the industrial countries there was much uncertainty as to whether a man could get money but very little as to what it would do for him once he had it. In this [20th] century the problem of getting money, though it remains considerable, has diminished. In its place has come a new uncertainty as to what money, however acquired and accumulated, will be worth. Once, to have an income reliably denominated in money was thought…to be very comfortable. Of late, to have a fixed income is to be thought liable to impoverishment that may not be slow. What has happened to money?”

This man is wrong. Annual inflation and deflation under the gold standard was more wildly unpredictable and significant under the gold standard than under modern financial policy. Generally speaking in modern terms you can know that once you have money it will be worth tomorrow more or less exactly what it is worth today. Over the long term you know it will lose about 2-3% a year but that consistency is actually exactly what this asshat is talking about.

You can make an argument that money losing its value like that is 'bad' but replacing it with wild financial swings that can be up to 20% up or down in a year based on supply of shiny rocks is absurd.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 16, 2016

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

until they were making $30 an hour or whatever they made as manager.

The number you are looking for is $19.00. Dumbass.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Okay the top 6 (upon more thorough checking every single one of the top 10) have universal health care so we should be libertarian like them and do the same right?

And I guess let only the richest executives of the biggest corporations choose the president so we can be number 1 like Hong Kong.

And also be a historical anomaly that can in no way be replicated the world over like Hong Kong. And have literally half of all land in the city be public housing like Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong example is so full of poo poo that it is astonishing anyone can use it with a straight face.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jokes aside, it is kind of eerie that jrodefeld's registration date was my wedding day. Never noticed that before today.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Igiari posted:

While Jrod is gone, and as this thread closes, those looking for a fix should just beat up the last boss of Metal Gear Rising over and over

Praexology son!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

That whole post he made about his "experiences" is just incredibly :psyduck:, especially as he thinks that it's more or less how things go for everyone. That may be true for middle class suburban white people but holy poo poo is it different elsewhere. My family is all rural poor and only a handful of us have ever made more than a dollar or so above minimum wage. My dad, who died several years back due to lack of health insurance or money, spent his whole life as a farmer never netting more than a thousand or so a month in 2015 dollars because he was illiterate and just really not a very smart guy. My mom has been bounced from minimum wage job to minimum wage job her entire life because between raising two children and helping my dad manage our lovely farm she never had any time, money or energy to take any classes in anything, and even if there were any it'd have been at least an hour drive to where they were. My siblings are pretty much all in the same boat, and both of them have been working minimum wage jobs since they were 16. They're all good, hard workers but that doesn't stop them from getting shitcanned every couple of years due to the instability of rural economies and they just don't have the money to pack up and move to a more thriving urban economy to compete with all those workers there for those jobs. Chances are they never will and will literally work in a rural shithole Walmart until they die.

Just look at this. He just assumes that a fast food manager makes $5,000 per month. That's literally more than twice what they make in a best case scenario. For most fast-food workers $5,000 per month might as well be $50,000 per month because they're both unattainable levels of wealth they don't even dare dream of. poo poo like this makes me wish we could somehow force all 18 year olds from middle class families to spend a randomized period of time living on minimum wage at 30 hours a week with no outside assistance or support so they could have some loving degree of perspective.

e: I've been lurking jrod threads for years and he finally got me actually angry instead of just disgusted.

e2: Also, for jrod's benefit, the realization that as bad as my family has had it how much worse it would be if we were black was one of the primary catalysts in my turning away from libertarianism way back when.

The $30/hour thing is so utterly ridiculous because even doing basic math would show you it can't be true.

$30/hour is 57,600 a year. The median income for a family of four in the US is $51,000. Hands up everyone who thinks that your average fast food manager pulls in an amount higher than the median family income all by himself.

My now explore took three years of school to earn $25/hour in drafting. Jrodefeld is so divorced from reality that it hurts.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, you really need a 4 year degree in a STEM field combined with both luck and work experience in field-relevant work (intern/temp positions) to land a $30+/hour job these days. They exist, but everyone and their mother are competing for them.

I have a friend who manages a local pizza joint. He has worked there for a decade starting as an evening cook. He makes a grand total of $16/hour Canadian. Why is his decade of pizza cooking not correlating into a great job?

Caros
May 14, 2008

archangelwar posted:

Just to be clear here, Jrode believes that a fast food manager makes $62,000+, more than the median household income and nearly twice the median personal income.

It really is insane. I was talking to an old friend the other day who is a district manager for McD's. Covers the communication between franchises for two provinces in western Canada. His take home is just shy of $52,000/year after a decade and a half at the job.

Also he got the job through nepotism which he freely admits. The idea that someone earns $60,000 usd working at McDonald's is hilarious and I am almost sad jrod is probated so I can't mock him as much.

In a slight aside, I'm hoping to have a serious effort post for this thread before it gets locked on Sunday. Getting dragged to get 'krunked' on Saturday tho, so we will see.

Caros
May 14, 2008

E-Tank posted:

Still waiting for OP to explain why we should care about property rights.

About that...

Caros
May 14, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

The fact Caros said this makes me wonder if he is HBomberguy

I don't even know what that is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

A goon who makes great videos mocking Dork Enlightenment types. Look up A Measured Response to the Sarkeesian Effect on YouTube

I really should make videos or a blog or something making fun of Libertarians but... :effort:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^^
You did. I was in it. Or Paragon1 did, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQo6LI3Y7c

Well that was more jrodefeld specific. For a while now I've been pondering a Shitmisesdotorgssays style blog. But again, :effort:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I think you should. I'd love to listen a podcast of yours at work.

Actually, speaking of the podcast, would any goons be interested in doing one this coming Sunday?

Sadly I am incommunicado on terms of audio for the foreseeable future on account of living off a couch.

But if you do have it I'll probably listen in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

archangelwar posted:

This is a good point though, as there are many different types of managers especially at McDonald's because of their franchise agreement. Shift managers (depending on the size of staff you might have more than one around at a time) generally make a $1-$3/hour more than a standard employee, store managers (usually only a few per store, open the store and do the bank depositing) can be salaried but make something in the $30k range if they have been there 5+ years. Then you can get into managers that operate more as personal assistants to the franchisee and these can be per store or per store block (or regional). Ultimately these are bookeepers for the franchisee's business as well as coordinators for staff training, introducing new items, etc. They are not "store managers" in any real sense like shift or regular store managers, and these people can make a lot of money (they are to "manager" as accountant is to "cashier").

A lot is still relative too. The guy I'm talking about makes decent money for no education, but there are maybe thirty people Canada wide with his job. So of the thousands of McDonald's employees Canada wide you have maybe thirty people who can make an upper middle class income based on the experience they earned at their job. Everyone else down the food chain tops out at about 15-17/hour, less than half of what jrod thought.

Frankly it continues to baffle me how he could throw that number out at all. Clearly jrodefeld is disconnected from the life of your average American if he thinks that $30/hour is a middling wage rather than a frankly life changing amount. I know people who would more than double their income if they went to $30/hour, and they aren't even the poor ones.

• Locked thread