Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kant definitely wouldn't have sat on our side of the National Assembly so i don't see what he has to do with any of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

jrodefeld posted:

Okay, so you support the entire War on Drugs, right? Consumers need to be protected from themselves, don't they?

Ah, I see. The ways in which your life has thus far failed to live up to your dreams were caused by your lack of intelligence. Our market-based society has judged you, rightly, unable to produce work of value. Any marginalization you've experienced is due to the free and rational choices of individuals you were able to get through to, who were able to see the limits of your ability.

You've really helped me understand why Libertarianism is not and will never be an ideology of the ruling-classes. People like you can find each other, and form friendships and little tribes, but they're not mentally equipped to achieve real levels of wealth and power. Our political systems are too complicated for that, too cognitively demanding.

I mean, if you actually understood politics well and cared deeply about the human cost of the war on drugs, you could have already done many things about it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Jrod, do you understand what the FDA does and what clinical trials are for? Your posts only make sense if you think the scientific method is bunk, clinical trials are not for observing the effects of a drug but to pointlessly restrict its availability, the FDA has the authority to ban drugs for no reason other than "WE WANT TO HAHAHAH!!!", and there are no mechanisms in place to deal with bribery/corruption.

Not everyone can summon the critical thinking required to understand the statistical methods necessary for drug testing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It makes sense that someone who could be convinced their fillings were poisoning them could also be convinced that soda and skittles are drug paraphernalia.

Although, only a huuuuuuge racist would further think they were grounds for justifiable homicide.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Lets also not forget that it took until 1991 before every women in Switzerland could vote. Truly a libertarian utopia.

Have you considered that perhaps the freely-determined market value of women might just be naturally lower than that of men due to their weakness, frailty, and vulnerability to becoming pregnant? :chord:

(Alternately, black people, impulsiveness, violence, yadda vile racist poo poo yadda)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The authoritarian mindset requires that evil be unitary: if he can conceive of racism as something bad, he can only associate it with the Great State-an.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Galt's Gulch also had a force-field which protected it from nuclear weapons.

Ayn Rand was a perma-child.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

Also is it ever explained what the gently caress happened to the FBI dude's face? That thing's more pockmarked than the moon, jesus christ.

Looks like mostly sweat to me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It definitely occurred to me, reading the glowing descriptions of Roark's architecture in The Fountainhead, that it sounded literally exactly like the Soviet Brutalist/Heroic style complete with statues of strapping workers and spirits of enlightenment and poo poo.

(And then those statist bastards make it a home for orphans with mental disabilities :qq:)

Rhjamiz posted:

Are... are you sure?

Woah! Okay, my mistake, I was just looking at the first page, just, gently caress if I'm reading the thing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

George Zimmerman wasn't a cop.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The 1% accumulate wealth due to unrestrained capitalism, as capital by its very nature seeks to acquire more. The political connections come after; the aggregation of money buys power, not the other way around.

For jrode to accept this, he would also need to accept that he was not an ubermensch kept down by the false prophets of crony capitalism, but simply someone of too little value to bargain for anything on the free market. He would have to overcome his own inner narrative, when its much easier to satify it by engaging in eternal combat with the satantic statist forces, represented here by us.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 10, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nolanar posted:

I'm honestly shocked that you're surprised. He's always had this mealy-mouthed viciousness to his opinions on welfare (and healthcare). We have no obligation to our fellow man in his mind.

I think this goes beyond the abstract for him; let's recall that he seemed honestly flummoxed by the phenomenon of a fellow libertarian changing their beliefs after a friend died from a lack of affordable health care. He sounded confused, as if the narrative made no sense to him. Why would something like that call libertarianism into question? What's the big deal?

Jrode I hope you begin seeing a therapist before one is assigned to you by statist aggression.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Like, I know someone else brought this up, but still... when the gently caress do politicians brag about how many people their policies put on welfare? For loving real.

I too would like to know who does this in America, where Jrode and I both live, so that I may vote for them and tell my friends to vote for them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Jrod why do you keep implying that you're being kept in the US against your will? You can leave whenever you want. Your mom doesn't keep you chained in the basement... does she?

The police told him not to skip town while the investigation is open.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nolanar posted:

I'm actually surprised he didn't vanish after that fuckup. I guess after we didn't drop the Qatar thing, he may have learned that it only gets worse. Haha, never mind, he can't learn.

Oh! Oh! The Qatar thing! He cited a list of the most "economically free" countries, which counted actual slave states Qatar and the UAE in the top 15. Both ranked higher than the USA if I remember right.

Further: when people described the nature of the foreign worker programmes in those states, and how they were in practice slavery, he dismissed this as the workers' sour grapes at being prevented from unionizing.

He is not good at faking empathy, which makes me wonder why he thinks he can proselytize to leftists.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Buried alive posted:

Which, I'd like to mention, got me to do a little reading and stumble upon the fact that Kant believed that it was immoral to be an anarchist. Which is hilarious, given Jrod's apparent position.

Kant believed it was immoral to not tell murderers where they could find their intended victims.

There are many things which make jrod's calling upon his authority preposterous.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

As a software "engineer" employed in the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd like to contribute my impression that we are exploited less than most workers only due to temporary historical accidents which have made our labor unusually valuable and unusually rare, and there are definitely local Thought Leaders who publicly agitate for policies with the express purpose of fixing the "rare" part (H1-B nonsense, usually), and even engage in literal conspiracies.

Also jrode delenda est

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And if it keeps happening expect a repeat of the 19th century but worse.

As we've established, this is the implicit goal of American Libertarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The difference between a philosophy and a religion is that one comforts you with the thought that things are fundamentally more complex than they seem, and the other, that they are more simple. At any given moment, a person might be in a more philosophical/critical mood, or a more religious/reductionist one, but some people sure seem to have a pervasive craving one way or the other. We've probably all been guilty of underestimating the importance or subtlety of an unfamiliar subject, and it can be embarrassing to realize our ignorance...so why not double down and openly deny the subject's depth and importance, even in the face of all evidence? You might say this isn't a very convincing debating tactic, but only philosophies benefit from debate, whereas religions demand devotion.

That's how I understand the kinds of doomed proselytizing you see in YouTube comments and this thread: for jrode it's a form of prayer.

• Locked thread