Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Why do countries with more government regulation have improved healthcare costs for comparable or superior results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Me and my mental illness resent that.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Caros posted:

That said the atlas shrugged on is on my plate. It is a monster of a book and I'm still debating just how much depth I want to go into. Too much and I worry that I'll just end up posting updates that are just "gently caress you ayn rand" over and over again by the middle of the book.

I'd read that.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

quote:

Working for a living — and being protected by a DRO — pays really well.
Not smuggling any unfounded assumptions in here or anything, no sir.

Where the hell do they get money anyway?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

KennyTheFish posted:

So how do the corporations exist without it?

They don't exist. Groups of individuals may create contracts that mimic the function of one (with that poor guy over there given all the liability in exchange for a sandwich) but as they are now they won't exist. Want to try and start a business? Better be ready to enter slavery in case of default. No large group will use this danger to ensure competitors are unable to enter markets because people will shun the only source of that product in the region in favour of doing without since the one company is bad. So it's food and they own all the roads getting into your area? Clearly some people will convert their land to farmland in order to make money off the demand!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well the Bible says selling your daughters is OK so it must be. I can't wait for Libertopia so I can be a multibillionaire, buy dozens of daughters, and force them to marry me.

BECAUSE FREEDOM!!!

Nuh-uh. You can't do that because marriage is a function of the State, secret statist!

...you'll just have to put clauses in the contracts with their parents that you can do whatever you want with the kids.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

paragon1, I wouldn't mind a link if you could PM me one. I may just spectate, but would love to see things as they unfold live(ish).

This is me as well

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Is there even one single leading libertarian "thinker" who isn't a piece of bigoted poo poo?

Kind of impossible, isn't it? You'd have to be a piece of poo poo, and already agree with the horrible outcomes, or* an idiot to spend a lot of your life thinking about libertarian ... philosophy (with apologies to philosophy) and not realize the massive problems; no one is going to reference the works of Hans "Stupid as the sun is big" Herman Hoppe as a leading libertarian thinker.

*not an exclusive 'or'.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Most of those have to be fake.

They have to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

...I disagree as a result of the existence of this footage.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Caros posted:

I'm starting to think Jrod isn't going to debate me this time either. :sigh:

Just get into the Jrod spirit, ignore all of history, and you'll be able to believe!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to watching youtube videos since they're free and I therefore desire them infinitely. It kinda sucks since each one is as free as the next so I have to keep watching the same one until my demand for it runs out which will never happen, it being free and all. Curse my superior knowledge of economics! If only there was an associated time cost I could break free but no, such a thing cannot be for I know the Economic Truth™!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Anticheese posted:

It would be within the Terms of Enrampagement, which you sign when joining up with a DRO.
Hmm, I know Valhalla DRO has it as "Whenever the gently caress you want" but would others really want to set themselves up for a possible rampaging?

QuarkJets posted:

It's amazing how you can take something like "we should protect consumers from the con men that want to rob them" and spin it around into "we should lock people up for smoking pot". That's an absurd leap in logic.
Pretty sure he operates in a logic-free zone. Given all Cs are Ss and Sam is a C, Sam is therefore an avid supporter of Libertarian ideals likely makes perfect sense as a logical argument.

GunnerJ posted:

In the interest of productive reform of a broken system, here is a proposal that neither produces nor fixes anything:
I don't think there's any interest in productive reform. Just reform that enables tiny broken bodies to bring watermelons all day every day.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

what is the likelihood that jrode is in fact 19 years old and has just begun his philosophy 101 elective, and thinks he's stumped us by formulating the categorical imperative in a needlessly specific way?

i mean i guess he could be taking adult education night classes or something but still
Close to zero. Maybe when he started but he's been at this a loooong time.

E:Pretty sure this is him, frex http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=12417071#post12417071

eNeMeE fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 2, 2016

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Now how will I choose between ValhallaDRO and ImmortanDRO?

Also fun history learnin's since I knew approximately nothing about that whole mild disagreement over property rights in the US.

...we should care about property rights since the claims made under varying interpretations of those rights can lead to discord and war. Abolish property rights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

JVNO posted:

Oh wow I got a JRode reply. ... I received a list of bold and unproven assertions including such gems as 'poverty is exceedingly rare in libertarian societies'.
No need to say it twice.

• Locked thread