Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
The whole "chronic lyme disease revelation as justification for dangerous, unnecessary dental work" is making me suspect Jrod's not just a stupid rear end in a top hat, but also legit mentally ill (presuming he's not lying about the whole deal, of course, of which I'm not yet convinced). Why did it take me this long to come around, you might rightly ask? Well so far, he's mostly been posting stupid/evil bullshit that's largely theoretical nonsense that'll never come about, no matter how much he may claim to want it. The dental work and questionable disease diagnosis is the first example I can think of where he's done or said anything about his actual, personal life that comes across as being as loopy as the political nonsense he's constantly blathering on about.

I would also to support Who What Now's assertion, as I'm on record as having accused Jrod of neglecting his personal hygiene at least once already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Juffo-Wup posted:

But wouldn't that mean the end of capitalism? It's not a mistake that the emergence of joint-stock companies coincided with with the emergence of limited liability as a legal concept. The only alternatives to limited liability that have ever been tried are guild-based and collectivized economies.

It helps to remember they think market forces are literally magic that always work right if not hobbled by the evils of state intervention/existence.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Antivax and Chronic Lyme aren't signs of mental illness, they're signs of general stupidity. Stuff like chronic Lyme self-diagnosis tends to pop up when someone is in genuine physical pain and doctors can't figure out why. Then some website or charlatan dentist comes in and says "hey, I know why you're hurting, and I can fix it." That's an incredibly compelling pitch! It's also why nobody advocates prosecuting the "patients" in these situations: they're victims who were taken advantage of by scam artists. JRod doesn't belong in prison for getting his fillings drilled out, but I can't say the same about his dentist.

Really, the whole thing is an excellent argument for the same state apparatus he's trying to attack with it.

edit: I can't stress this enough though, stop armchair-diagnosing people with mental illness for disagreeing with you, even if they're JRod.

While I agree generally, I think we've seen more than enough persistent denial of reality from Jrod, in extreme enough form, to raise an eyebrow and begin to suspect the boy ain't right in the head. I mean yeah, I've no professional capacity to diagnose, but he's borderlining Toblerone Triangular's "I ejaculate into my own bladder to preserve my essence" level of nonsense with this medical stuff.

Regardless, I trust we're all in agreement that he really should bathe more frequently, yes?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You are kinda... proactive on insulting your opponents, mate.

You'll note that, much like the melon thing, he didn't deny the underlying accusation.

Who What Now posted:

Yeah! Why should "Black Lives Matter" try to improve the lives of blacks?! They should focus only on what I, a white man, deem acceptable for them.

Black subordination to white rule is advocated to one degree or another by many of his self-described heroes, after all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

Yes! It must be the minimum wage! What other reason could there be for black teenage unemployment being at 9.4 in the 1948 during the longest sustained period of economic growth in US history?

Just think of those poor black people today, forced to waste their most productive years on "kindergarten" and "basic literacy," it's a goddamn crime I tell you as a man who sympathizes with the following list of great thinkers who by some strange coincidence all supported Apartheid, some quite viciously.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Did he ever step back his comments about how democracy can't be that good since it gave us Hitler

Has he ever stepped back anything, really, other than from a used melon?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

1000101 posted:

(what free market solution is there to poverty?)

Asked and answered, statist. :smuggo:

Murray fuckin' Rothbard posted:

Take Back the Streets: Get Rid of the Bums. Again: unleash the cops to clear the streets of bums and vagrants. Where will they go? Who cares? Hopefully, they will disappear, that is, move from the ranks of the petted and cosseted bum class to the ranks of the productive members of society.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nosfereefer posted:

This entire mixing your labour with the soil business is just an Oedipal projection on the part of libertarians; They have a deep unconscious desire to have their "labour" (i.e. their penis) and the "soil" (i.e. mother earth (i.e. their mother)) "mixed" (i.e. intercourse).

[edit]
However, they are blocked from realizing this desire by the "state" (i.e. the father figure).

Libertarians' obsession with the second amendment comes from rifles reminding them of their father's penis.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Why would libertarians need rifles when they have the NAP to protect them?

You know the answer to that.

black people

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Mises.org is full of awful articles. It's easy to see how jrod ended up so completely ignorant about even the most basic historical and scientific facts.

I'd like to see how his reading list on the US Civil War compares to mine.

Ten to one "A Politically Incorrect Guide" will be on that list, and possibly also Alexander Stephens and Jefferson Davis.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

KING BONG posted:

If one where to read good and accurate literature on the civil war what would it be? I admit my basic understanding is pretty much what they feed you in high school.

I feel it is relevant to the thread because of its relationship to property rights.

If you want a good, beginner's run-down of the war itself, James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is more or less the standard work. A much longer, though still good read (despite being older and at times more than a little sympathetic to Jefferson Davis and other traitors, though it isn't Lost Cause-y, thankfully) is Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. For Reconstruction, hit up either of Eric Foner's two works by that same name (Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, and the understandably much-shorter: A Short History of Reconstruction)

If you want the war straight from the man itself, you could do far worse than Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

It should also be noted that McPherson takes hot steaming shits on fools like DiLorenzo and Tom Woods constantly throughout his books.

This is a good point I should have mentioned, and now wish to reinforce.

For dunking on Lost Cause fools, Chandra Manning's What this Cruel War was Over is a great read as it gives consistent, first-hand evidence that the majority of soldiers North and South knew the war was being fought over Slavery and, in the Southern instance, non-slaveholding soldiers by and large condoned it as such as they approved of the institution and wanted to be part of it some day.

Manisha Sinha's The Counterrevolution of Slavery, which takes South Carolina as a case study, helps demonstrate how secession was ultimately a rejection of those parts of the American revolution that Southern conservative slavelords dislikes (ie: just about all of it other than their own independence and protection of property), and how the Confederacy was established, baldly and openly, as an anti-democratic, pro-slavery republic. It's not as easy a read as the others mentioned so far as Sinha isn't as gifted an author as some, but it's not onerous by any measure.

quickly posted:

I have a question, jrodefeld: where do rights come from? You constantly assert that property rights are natural rights, but your only defense of property rights was conventional.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 9, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
I have been on these forums for, well, a disturbingly long time, and have from time to time seen some particularly brutal takedowns of this or that poster. I watched Qualnor get demolished for claiming late-19th century America was overwhelmingly middle-class and prosperous. I laughed at Paradol Ex's lengthy and hilariously wrong list of 2008 election predictions. But this is one of those even rarer occasions when a poster, unprompted, destroys themselves with their own words.

I mean god:drat:, to both argue that libertarians are incapable of racism and then assert it makes total sense to discriminate against swarthy middle easterners because of their race, that's something special.

ps: Jrod please don't run screaming from the thread just I used the "drat" emoticon in the sentence above, the scary black man in it is just a graphic!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Jrod is not an honest libertarian.

Old Timey Shopkeeper: "They say you never flamed an honest libertarian."

Gritty Protagonist: "I never met an honest libertarian."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's weird - Libertarians are so obsessed with state violence and the use of force/aggression, but are strangely silent when it comes to economic coercion. To them, it's merely a conscious choice or "ethnic time preference" to work minimum wage jobs and are confused (or worse, give tacit approval of) when you bring up things like income inequality or poverty traps as things that exist.

Hmmmm...

Economic coercion doesn't exist you silly statist, it's all a matter of what you're willing to do versus what you won't (probably because you're lazy and/or racially inferior). Also, all personal liberties ultimately flow from economic liberty which is entirely compatible with the former sentence and not at all total horseshit.

*begins eying honeydew lasciviously*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Someone on these forums described it pretty well: "racist" just means "a thing that I'm not" at this point. The actual literal white nationalist who popped into the old thread insisted he wasn't a racist, because he wasn't a part of the Klan or the Aryan Nation.

They seem to understand, however dimly, that the word connotes something bad, something undesirable or, at bare minimum, something that at least results in social censure. What they don't get, likely because they are reflexive jackoffs incapable of introspection, is why it's bad to be a racist or the real harm racism does. You can see this seemingly willful ignorance drip from Jrod's every post on the subject where he takes a real injury suffered by racial minorities, for example let's say educational inequality, and argues that the solution isn't to actually do anything to fix that inequality (which might call for increased taxation, which is indistinguishable from white slavery in his mind) but rather just for black people to start working before the age of majority instead of completing high school (with "that'll keep the hulking Negroids too exhausted to go after the white women" being the diarrheal frosting on this particular poo poo cake).

It's been said before but bears repeating: Jrod and others like him have such an impossibly high barrier for what a white person has to say/do to actually be a racist, at least when that person is in some other way appealing to him. If its, say, a statist tyrant like President Lincoln, than anything's fair game to show he was in fact more of a racist than literal slaveholders.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I'm beginning to think jrod isn't going to discuss Tom Woods' call for school resegregation with me.

He probably can't hear you over the sound of his dentist drilling new holes in his teeth and/or his ongoing trepanation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kthulhu5000 posted:

This isn't to say that Ron Paul and his ilk literally want to wear gold crowns

The hell he doesn't! You know as well as I do how much goldbuggery Paul the Elder ascribes to.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

Valjean, at last,
You've broke the N-A-P
Monsieur le Maire
Do not agress on me.

:sureboat:

Before you say another word, Javert
Before you tax me like a slave again,
Listen to me, there is something I must-
*vomits five hundred word diatribe, breaking meter while saying virtually nothing of worth whatsoever and simultaneously managing to praise the poverty-lowering effects of Pinochet-era death squads*

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 12, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Taxes are theft, but theft isn't theft. Simple.

Nonono: taxation is slavery, but actual slavery isn't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

:lol: more like
Black teenager gets caught stealing bread in Libertopia. Owner shoots him dead, says he was just defending his property against a dangerous criminal and libertarians hail him as a hero.

"Why wasn't there a drone nearby to help defend that poor property owner from the treacherous Negro?!" - Senator Rand Paul, mildly paraphrased.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

I have a feeling that jrod's work history is nothing but a long list of positions gained through nepotism and/or failed get-rich-quick and Ponzi schemes.

On the one hand, he has said he doesn't think much of bitcoins, but on the other he is very dishonest and stupid so :shrug:?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sephyr posted:

We should lay an eugenics trap for him. Maybe find some quote from one of his pet ubermensch detailing how a DRO totally could stipulate the culling of disabled/handicapped people as part of its charter and get him to defend it.

We've hit him with Aktion T4 propaganda lines more than once already and he's not taken the bait so far, though his revulsion at the prospect of supporting "useless eaters" is clearly just beneath the surface.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

paragon1 posted:

pistols and your best hanzo steel

high noon

roof of the DRO HQ

be there or be square

Point of order: being square is a requirement of continued existence in this covenant community.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GunnerJ posted:

Is the thread actually ending? Uh, what to say...

*Orchestra swells*
I had a dream this thread would be
So different from the sperg I'm reading
So different now from what it seemed
Jrod has killed the dream I dreamed

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

paragon1 posted:

GUYS GUYS I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING

WE HAVE TO DECIDE ONE LAST THING BEFORE THE THREAD CLOSES

Is jrodefeld dumber than Qalnor?

On the one hand, Jrod is most easily rebutted by, "on the other hand, all of recorded history."

On the other hand, Qualnor was literally the goon who got owned by, "oh no, it's someone who knows something about anything, Qualnor's one weakness!"

So honestly I don't think that debate has a clear answer :shrug:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

I've never read anything by Qalnor that would make me remember who he is, so deffo Jrod.

Oh you're missing out. He was one of the first libertarian fuckos we kicked around back when, and got voted Worst D&D Poster in a thread that also contained such luminaries as Sippenhaft, Teapot, GI Joe Dirtbag, Mr. Rosewater and Ferretball.

Some gems:

quote:

Free markets tend to make everyone either middle class or rich unless they're in some way disabled. Look at early American cities. Laissez faire wasn't perfect, but there was very little government intervention and the vast majority of people were middle class.

quote:

But even without such things, capitalism helps everyone. Does it help certain people even more than others? Yes, but that's why it helps everyone more than any other system, so changing that fact isn't going to help anything.

If Ron Paul were to have his way on economic policy and nothing else, everyone would be better off except the super-rich who would be slightly harmed.

quote:

What I have never understood is why Americans feel so much guilt for screwing the Indians over in the first place. The simple fact of the matter is this: they lost, and we won. Their culture was inferior, and we conquered it.

Now, however, it seems that we are expected to feel sorry because instead of killing them all of we shunted them off to the side? Worse yet, we seem to be giving their culture weapons to use against ours. Granted, these weapons are certainly insufficient to destroy us; I am not trying to suggest that there is a conspiracy for world Indian supremecy. Yet we are giving them free economic advantages because we feel bad?

If we must feel bad, here is what I say:

Seal the borders to reservations. Allow anyone to leave who wishes, but they may not return, and nobody may visit the reservations. Allow them to rule themselves, and do not affect their lives as long as they remain on the reservations. If they leave the reservation, then they become American citizens and they must find their way in the world like any other American citizen.

quote:

In some ways, I view the prison rape situation as almost ideal. It is cruelty created by apathy, not revenge and not corruption, and it DOES deter crime. Sadly the aids issue is too valid a point for me to ignore.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

the Austrian explanation of the business cycle blames central banking and expansionary monetary policy for creating an artificial boom due to malinvestment which leads to an inevitable crash. This is what Ludwig von Mises blamed for the Great Depression

It's hardly the only thing he was wrong about.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I have a friend who manages a local pizza joint. He has worked there for a decade starting as an evening cook. He makes a grand total of $16/hour Canadian. Why is his decade of pizza cooking not correlating into a great job?

What's your friend's ethnic background? If I remember Jrod's explanation, there's just something certain non-whites that's totally unrelated to race and means they all just deserve to make all that much money.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

YF19pilot posted:

And before anyone asks, no, I've never received anything more than $20 on my birthday (usually more like $5 or $10) from my "rich Uncle". Though one year my Uncle spent that money to buy me a cheap wallet from Sears when I graduated from High School. Like "you're a man now, here's a wallet." Haven't seen anything so much as a card on my birthday or Christmas since.

The empty wallet should have been more than motivation to work hard enough to fill it, you lazy degenerate. Clearly, the problem here is you failed to understand how your successful relatives deserve every last cent and you do not because- *literally explodes from pent-up flatulence, spraying room with entrails and feces*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Be respectful. It is now known as the Duane Tolbert Gish Memorial Gallop.

I had no idea that clown had died, but it makes me smile slightly to learn it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cemetry Gator posted:

What's frustrating is that he doesn't know when he doesn't know something. For example, I tend not to talk about economics in this thread. Why? Because my understanding of economics is very basic. I couldn't have an intelligent conversation on how it works. But he'll just talk about everything like he's an expert, and it really hurts the debate. How are you supposed to talk about healthcare with someone who doesn't understand why having licensed doctors is a good thing?

I'd take it a step further and say (one of) the really frustrating things is not just how Jrod doesn't know what he doesn't know, he actively refuses to learn anything contrary to his religion. Tons of posters have actively demonstrated things he's gotten objectively, no-questions wrong and linked or mentioned primary source material by which he could get measurably less-ignorant on a ton of subjects. Hell, I was one of them back before I decided it was a waste of time and just went scorched earth on him. He doesn't just not know things, he's aggressively resistant to learning any better-

Hey, that's a violation of NAP and means we can peacefully and non-aggressively shoot him, right?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually you're breaking the NAP by assaulting his perfect libertarian principles with your statist propaganda.

Joke's on him, I never consented to joinder. :smuggo:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

i never got my fight, and that's a shame

All those training montages, wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Someday JRod will return to us, and someday we will find an honest libertarian. They will not be the same day.

While the former is certain, I remain less than convinced of the latter.

Anyway, for my last post in the thread before it closes, I'd like to point out that we did actually make progress on one front: Jrod finally was forced to weigh in on the watermelon issue, all questions about which he had previously dodged.

As libertarian threads go, that makes this one a resounding success, and we should all be proud we contributed to it.

• Locked thread