Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
When I think of property rights, I think of two stories.

In the first, my apartment was robbed. Twice. When I called (twice) to report it, I was put on hold for 45 minutes, told it wasn't a priority, and to fill out my police reports online so I could collect renters' insurance. I figured, well, my police department's just incompetent. My girlfriend called our district rep's office (yes we're white) to lean on the department, and like magic, two cops appeared. What they didn't say was that they'd patrol the area more. What they did say was that we should get a dog or alarm system.

In the second, I watched a heli livestream of a #blacklivesmatter protest. I'll never forget the image of dozens of cops lined up as a human shield to protect a Bank of America. They didn't bother to do that for local businesses. They didn't bother to patrol areas with gun violence.

What that basically taught me was that private property doesn't mean yours and my property, in practice. Private property means investor's property. The vast majority of people never get their stolen bikes back, or their laptops and digital cameras back. Police don't have resources, and so they don't see it as their job - which is why they recommended buying personal protection to my girlfriend and me. People freak out about the end of private property for their stuff, but they don't realize that they're already living in a world without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Jack of Hearts posted:

This is v. v. good and if I were god emperor of D&D I would mandate that people exclusively quote this toward jrod until he explains comprehensively how none of that mattered, rather than ask individual questions. Because this is a post he will definitely ignore otherwise.

I just wish any libertarian would address the Actually Existing Private Property system. I talked to tons of people afterwards about their experience with robberies - exactly zero people ever got their stuff back. In rich neighborhoods, cops even dusted for fingerprints. Nada.

Private Property For All is honestly impossible to enforce without panopticon. Thieves are good at their jobs. Try to take over your factory though, you can expect a baton to the head.

• Locked thread