Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

jrodefeld posted:

And let's be real here. There is no shortage of people who will gladly help people who don't have enough to eat. The people on this planet who have real food shortages are those who live in the third world, usually under repressive dictators far removed from anything that resembles libertarianism.

I like this one because it's so easily and immediately disproven with like two seconds of googling:

Of course, it goes without saying that none of these issues would exist if we eliminated food stamps and the minimum wage and left it to the market to sort out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

My current hobby is finding it really, really funny that jrode didn't actually bother looking at the list he copy-pasted from some libertarian site to make sure it didn't include literal slave states. Later my hobby will be finding it really, really funny when he pretends it never happened.

Keep on keeping on, you dumb bastard :allears:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You guys are overthinking this. The reason jrode is being even more blatantly hypocritical and nonsensical than usual about the Civil War is that, no matter what, the answer has to be "federal government bad." So when the federal government does something good, even if only by virtue of combatting an entity worse than it by any conceivable metric, it still has to somehow be the villain of the story, because to admit that the federal government did something right, ever, would go against everything jrode believes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

theshim posted:

He could make it easy on himself by saying "the CSA wanted to make another state, the worst of all evils" but instead he (read: DiLorenzo) chooses to frame it as a group of people who wanted freedom from the illicit regulations and unfair restrictions pushed on them by brutal, authoritarian tyranny, so :bravo:

That would be the morally consistent view for a libertarian to take, but for some reason libertarian thinktanks seem to skew really pro-Confederacy :iiam:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It's worth noting that if jrode stops responding this will be the second time in a row he was chased out of his own thread for defending literal slave-states. It's almost impressive :cheers:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The whole "chronic lyme disease revelation as justification for dangerous, unnecessary dental work" is making me suspect Jrod's not just a stupid rear end in a top hat, but also legit mentally ill (presuming he's not lying about the whole deal, of course, of which I'm not yet convinced). Why did it take me this long to come around, you might rightly ask? Well so far, he's mostly been posting stupid/evil bullshit that's largely theoretical nonsense that'll never come about, no matter how much he may claim to want it. The dental work and questionable disease diagnosis is the first example I can think of where he's done or said anything about his actual, personal life that comes across as being as loopy as the political nonsense he's constantly blathering on about.

I would also to support Who What Now's assertion, as I'm on record as having accused Jrod of neglecting his personal hygiene at least once already.

I'm actually starting to suspect mental illness as well. Medical conspiracy theories aside, it's hard to believe that someone could be so disingenuous about pretending they've never plagiarized when just a few weeks ago they apologized for plagiarizing. It's not even funny, it's kind of sad and I think he actually believes it.

The irony, of course, being that if he did live in a country with socialized medicine he would actually have easier access to getting the help he needs.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

1000101 posted:

What good is working a job if the wage isn't suitable to sustain a minimal standard of living?

You forget that jrode is someone who believes no one in America is really poor, like destitute starving poor, just lazy. Anything that falls outside his firsthand experience of 'not having enough money to buy that game that one time' doesn't really exist for him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ahaha, I had no idea about jrode's Trayvon quotes. The real question is if he got there on his own (because libertarians are overwhelmingly inclined towards white supremacy) or some mises article or YouTube video led him to that conclusion (because he just follows whatever the libertarian media he's skimming says and doesn't notice when it contradicts itself when the opportunity to poo poo on minorities presents itself).

Not to give him the benefit of the doubt, but jrode really doesn't seem of sound mental faculties to realize the correlation between white supremacy and libertarianism, and I really can believe he's clueless enough to take all of it at face value without actually understanding the dog whistles.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

jrodefeld posted:

The ONLY way to actually raise wages is to increase the productivity of the labor of the worker.

Guess they're just not working hard enough yet

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Nolanar posted:

That's the fascinating part to me. He posts this poo poo again and again, and he doesn't change it. Not even so much as quietly removing an argument we pounced on before. It's just the same exact goddamned thing, and it's baffling.

This is why I still believe that :angel: ~*¥*jRoDe HaS a MenTal iLLneSs*¥*~ :angel:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Around <specific ethnic group> never relax" ~jrodefeld, definitely not a racist

For real though jrode do you ever wonder why the only people other than libertarians who think the federal government should be abolished and advocate hard for states rights are pro-Confederacy groups?

Is it just all a big coincidence or what

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Are you guys seriously surprised that jrode is as ignorant of the Middle East as he is economics/medicine/everything else? I almost wonder why it hasn't come up sooner.

Since he's not going to answer anyone's questions anyway I almost wish he would just start posting about random things just to see how wrong he gets it. Like, jrode's guide to making a PB&J sandwich ends up with the peanut butter on the outside of the bread and the jelly thrown in the trash.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Caros posted:

Yeah that was my point in a nutshell. Jrodefeld is literally talking moonspeak as far as the rest of us are concerned, because just as with 'aggression' his definition of coercion is so alien from the one used by the layman that any discussion is just going to be talking passed one another.

I'm mostly just amused that he had the loving gall to try and pretend that it was us who was distorting the meaning of the word.

While I'm rambling I wonder what jrodefeld thinks of the SS Blowjob regarding coercion:

Lets say tomorrow I invite you out on my boat and we go thirty miles out to sea. You didn't sign any contract or anything because it's just us friends out on the water together. However once we are out there I tell you that you have to suck me off.

Now you rightfully refuse (... This is an assumption) at which point I say, get the gently caress off my property if you aren't even going to be so good as to blow me.

Is this coercion? I am not threatening you with physical violence, I am just using my property rights. You have an absolutely legitimate choice between two things you don't want to do, and for liability purposes it is the sea that will kill you, not I.

Do you see how absolutely ridiculous it is to treat coercion as only being a direct threat of physical violence? Of course you don't.

The weird thing is that, in many ways, jrode's definition of aggression isn't even really that different in the libertopia he envisions.

-You are born in America, but think its unfair that your tax dollars are used to build public infrastructure. Your choices are to permanently leave or MEN WITH GUNS will eventually THROW YOU IN A BOX.

-You are born in Hoppe's Covenant Community, but think its unfair that racially mixed marriages are illegal. Your choices are to permanently leave or MEN WITH GUNS will eventually THROW YOU IN A BOX (or possibly execute you depending on the covenant's charter).

I mean, I know this isn't even the biggest hole in jrode's arguments, but it's probably one of the most glaring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Well, having made it to the very end of this thread, I can confidently say that reading jrode's posts not only made me care less about property rights, I feel like I know less about property rights. It's been a real...the opposite of an education, I guess?

e: wait, he's not banning jrode too? I thought they went hand in hand!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but having worked in the corporate world for far too long I'm pretty sure all things being equal "this guy worked a bunch of random bullshit jobs for a few months at a time when he has a teenager" carries less weight than "eh, I liked that guy's tie" or "he seemed kinda funny" or "I think I talked to his hot sister at a bar a year or so ago."

Nobody at any point gave a gently caress about the six months you spent bagging groceries at Ralph's, jrode.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

And I guess let only the richest executives of the biggest corporations choose the president so we can be number 1 like Hong Kong.

This is actually in the pro column for libertarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hbomberguy posted:

It is, but the tacit underlying belief is that the market secretly supports them.

When that turns out not to be the case, well...time to harass journalists on twitter.

It made me laugh really hard when each Atlas Shrugged movie bombed harder than the last one, to the point that the creators were begging people on kickstarter just to finish the series.

The free market must be one of those trickster gods, I guess :allears:

• Locked thread