Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's faith based economic, libertarians are just dogmatic as gently caress. Or whatever that word is when you are a hard line rear end in a top hat. I wonder if they have any heretics.

If things don't get better you have to sacrifice more goats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like that after building southern prosperity on the backs of poor black people their decesendants are now entitled to a bit of land. Not a lot, and certainly none of the actual WEALTH that was created on the backs of their ancestors, which has since evolved into whole other forms of wealth and entanged into the world economy. But a bit of land, which may or may not be useful, conveniently located (yeah guy who was born and raised in Harlem, here's an empty corner of a field in Alabama, it's worth a few hundred bucks but it's all the way down there why don't you just sell it to me at half price now), or even large enough to stand on.

We can't feed them (and all other poor people) through taxation though, that's COERCIVE.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Missionaries do better when they integrate themselves into the local population and prove useful and interesting. No one likes annoying preachy people.

Don't let him turn you guys. Why are we helping him?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Not trying to pick on you or anything just taking the rare opportunity to make a amicable point about the inherent flaws in the "government is too big" philosophy there is very much assuredly corruption and flaws in government but because of the onerous record keeping the citizens demand from public sector workers, that the private sector never has to answer to, the only real corruption you ever see in government comes from those elected and/or appointed. "Staff" get fired, the system works.

This is a really great point. Pretty much all of the bloat is anti corruption nonsense. It's a one hour seminar every year, which has to be updated, coordinated, scheduled around whatever, communicated to whoever, every year reminding you that SSNs have to be kept under lock and key and you have to document every instance of someone looking through them and why. This is done because anyone working for the DMV could make fake IDs without getting caught. It's this a million times for a million little details like where you buy chairs and what the upper limit on cost and quality of each chair is. The contract for chairs is part of a larger contract which leads to your office being contractually obligated to only purchase vending snacks through the same company at an absurd markup which gets passed on through the machine,. After x amount of time new bids are taken on a new version of this agreement with whatever companies do this bullshit. This is done to make sure it's not all being given to some director's cousin. I'd go so far as to guess that over 60% of built in administrative 'bloat' is anti-corruption.

As to indvidual employmee issues, which were also brought up, that's more of a union thing. The tradeoff between abuse by employer and abuse by employee is a delicate balance, but I think overall I think the consequences of employer abuse are far far greater than the consequences of employee abuse.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 18, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've been working on a theory. Money is just an agreement by society that it owes you, so we should just unilaterally cancel the debt society owes certain rich assholes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Now you want to enslave doctors too!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TLM3101 posted:

This makes it the fourth time. And I've made sure to post it whenever JRode's been around to see it. The fact that he hasn't attempted an answer is pretty much par for the course.

You have to post a picture. It's gonna end up being the white people.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

gently caress you, Jrod, you loving slime. You ignorant piece of poo poo. gently caress you. Your callousness and sociopathic lack of empathy is appalling.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Definitely a sock puppet account. Even has Jrods habit of "oh i just post a bit and disappear and come back without replying to anyone. WHATS THE BIG DEAL"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Remember all of those sweet "AAA RATED" mortgage-backed securities that were really complete garbage but companies like S&P were paid big bucks to rate them high so they did?

It's a good thing the FDA doesn't rely on business from the drug manufacturers to make a profit.

Feel free to try to market a new drug without their approval though. See how far you get.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jrodefeld posted:

You are not permitted to do this under today's law. How could these voluntary choices ever be considered "coercion"? This would require a perversion of language. Coercion is almost a synonym for "aggression" and voluntary economic contracts cannot, by definition, be aggression.

Coercion and aggression are not synonyms. gently caress you. Coercion invalidates 'voluntary' economic contracts, not the other way around fuckface.

The coercion is "get paid minimum wage for this poo poo job or you don't have any job and you are hosed" Just because the employer doesn't say it out loud doesn't make it not true.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What if the criminal steals fancy expensive healthnut bread?

Is he now more punishable because he should only steal the cheap stuff, or does the healthfulness of the more expensive bread justify him stealing beyond the minimal necessary for survival?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

J I think you should kick this guy's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

And before anyone asks, no, I've never received anything more than $20 on my birthday (usually more like $5 or $10) from my "rich Uncle". Though one year my Uncle spent that money to buy me a cheap wallet from Sears when I graduated from High School. Like "you're a man now, here's a wallet." Haven't seen anything so much as a card on my birthday or Christmas since.

Like you, a poor person, would know what to do with $20.

• Locked thread